242 replies to this topic

#1 Scooby

Scooby

California State Certified MMJ Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

Hi Everyone! Well, it’s been almost two months since I've had any life in my cabinet. Had to take some time off during the holidays and travel and blah blah blah. Anyhow, I’m starting my 2nd grow with the mentorship and guidance of the one and only Tokecrazy!

I did my first grow in hydro using DWC buckets. With Toke overseeing everything, we managed, as a team, to grow 1 humongous girl to harvest. It was a huge learning curve and I feel like I got about 2 or 3 grows worth of experience in that time. It ended up being a pretty decent grow but anything that could go wrong did go wrong at one time or another. As I look back on that experience I’m glad that things did go south at times. It prepared me to deal with a handful of problems that can arise.

I want to try a growing method that's a little less maintenance intensive this time around, so my 2nd grow is going to be done in Coco. I’m currently popping 6 Amsterdam Flame seeds. My cab can’t fit that many plants but we’re trying to increase our odds of getting at least a couple of girls. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it works in my favor!

The 2 seeds that have shown their tails are living in 4x4 square pots that are 3 inches deep. Here’s the germinating seeds and the ones in Coco inside the cabinet:

The Coco kids. Only one has popped out of the Coco to say "Hello!!! The other should poke its head out by tomorrow sometime.
Attached File  IMG_3138.jpg   198.96KB   26 downloads

This thing looks like some kind of weird underground monster barfing up mushrooms.
Attached File  IMG_3141.jpg   214.05KB   29 downloads oo

Seeds germinating. 3 are in the process of popping and 1 isn't doing jack doodly squat.
Attached File  IMG_3147.jpg   221.28KB   21 downloads

And here are the specs for the grow:

-Vegging under 2 ft. 4 bulb T5 High Output Lamp - 24 watts per bulb x 4 bulbs = 72 watts total
-Flowering under 400 watt HPS bulb in Cool Tube
-Using Atami B'Cuzz Coco: Pre rinsed and steamed. I still rinsed it. Not taking any chances!
-Perlite
-Mixed the Coco and Perlite at a ratio of 2:1 to allow aeration and drainage.
-GH Flora Series 3-Part Nutes
-Botanicare Cal/Mag Plus
-Bloombastic (for use during 12/12 to plump up the buds)
-Reverse Osmosis Water

One last thing... I just picked up The Speedster Variable Fan Speed Controller. It's The Bomb!!! I've got it keeping my fan running at the lowest possible speed right now. It pulls only a fraction of the air that it normally sucks through. It moves just enough air to keep the temps stable and to keep the fresh air exchange happening. And it saves on electricty. Yay!

Well, that's it for now. I'll try to post when I can and make it interesting. I'm going to be consumed with a big work project for the next several months, so I may not be able to post as frequently during this grow. I will journal it from beginning to end, though. Can't wait to work with Toke again and see how we can rock this Coco! Go Coco!!! Woot! Woot!

-Scoob

Edited by Scooby, 26 January 2013 - 05:03 AM.

• Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 9 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

wtg Scooby new life bigsmileythumbsup

for sure "the man who never made a mistake made nothing" tis all a learning curve :fly:

jobs a goodin on the controller yoke :)

Health and happiness
  • Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 8 others like this

#3 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'm in, Sir Scoob! Happy daze!
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, plant boy and 8 others like this

#4 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Woohooo Scoob... here we go again! Think you are going to love the flame! Will be keepin an eye here for sure! Hugs!
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, plant boy and 6 others like this

#5 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

wooooooohoooooooo scooby's off the mark again :D im in for this 1 dude hope you get loads of girls :) bonghead
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, plant boy and 7 others like this

#6 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

i pulled up my chair,,,,,i would get it windy in there as the sprouts like to reach for the light then topple over
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, teddys head and 7 others like this

#7 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Pulling up a chair.....that pic of the seed popping is giving me an idea what we're headed for in pics soon.
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, plant boy and 8 others like this

#8 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hey Scoob, Got my seat all picked out. Lots of karma to the new grow. :) Peace, Blue

#9 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21480 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think you'll like they coco, very simple and predictable.

#10 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Way cool Scoob, best of luck! :toking:
  • Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

#11 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

pmsl.... "underground monster barfing up muhrooms" cracking me up.. that is def the fist time I've heard that description!!!

am looking forward to watching journey #2........and wishing you all the best!!!

if not for mistakes, we'd not learn as quick, makes us pay attention!!! and I have the line Ohm say's in my mind "from one thing, we learn ten thousand things" geez hope i got that right!

hugs to you and yours!!!
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, plant boy and 4 others like this

#12 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hey Everyone! Thanks so much for stopping in. It's nice to see a bunch of friends in here. Makes me feel and warm and fuzzy-like. :) I thought I'd quickly note a few things tonight. 1) Before I put my 2 seeds into the 4x4 containers I pre-charged the Coco. I mixed up a gallon of RO water and added 1.5 mils of Cal-Mag Plus to it. This put the ppm's at 140. Then I pH'd the water to 5.8. When the water was properly mixed I slowly poured it all over the Coco in the pot. I did this until water flowed out the bottom. I made sure it was nice and saturated. Then I let it sit and drain for about 10 minutes. After that I grabbed the seeds, poked a small hole with a pen, dropped the seed in and covered it with the Coco. 2) These seeds are taking a verrrrry lonnnnnnnng time to pop. The one that is germinating that was showing more of a tail than the others has barely done anything today. I want to say that it'll have enough of a tail to plant tomorrow but I don't know. We'll see. I'm really hoping I can get things moving quickly, but Momma Nature is going to dictate the pace of things. And, for right now, she's taking her sweet fookin' time. Hurry up, Momma "N". I'd appreciate it. Will take more pictures when there's something new to take a picture of. Hope everyone's having a groovy weekend. Cheers, Scoob

#13 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

1) Before I put my 2 seeds into the 4x4 containers I pre-charged the Coco. I mixed up a gallon of RO water and added 1.5 mils of Cal-Mag Plus to it. This put the ppm's at 140. Then I pH'd the water to 5.8. When the water was properly mixed I slowly poured it all over the Coco in the pot. I did this until water flowed out the bottom. I made sure it was nice and saturated. Then I let it sit and drain for about 10 minutes. After that I grabbed the seeds, poked a small hole with a pen, dropped the seed in and covered it with the Coco.

2) These seeds are taking a verrrrry lonnnnnnnng time to pop. The one that is germinating that was showing more of a tail than the others has barely done anything today. I want to say that it'll have enough of a tail to plant tomorrow but I don't know. We'll see. I'm really hoping I can get things moving quickly, but Momma Nature is going to dictate the pace of things. And, for right now, she's taking her sweet fookin' time. Hurry up, Momma "N". I'd appreciate it.

Do you have anything covering the tops of the pots so the seeds are warmed by the light above,
but no light is hitting the tops of the pots directly? I place supports around the small 3" pots that
extend well above the top of the pots, and then take a section of newspaper and fold it to just
lay on top of the supports. In my experience seeds naturally hatch and the first leaves will
pop-up above ground in dark conditions. In essence, the newpaper is just thick enough to
strongly attenuate the light from the CFL's above, but once they hatch they know which way
is up as thewarmer soil is on top. I've never had less than a 95% germ rate after a large number of
seeds started with this method.

If you've already got them shielded from direct light...well, then my only other question
is if you are keeping that soil moist by teaspooning a little water over it every time it dries out.
This can also kick the seed/plant into gear when there's no action after 5-7 days.

ISO

Edited by ISO2BWELL, 26 January 2013 - 11:29 PM.

• Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 9 others like this

#14 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

hey scoob some beans are stubborn and dont want start speedy :) iso is right dude, i use a humidity dome for mine when im waitin for them too break surface and drop shell, they wil get there dude :) hey scoob plenty of friends here eh? :D im sending bong karma too your babys :bong: bonghead
  • Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 7 others like this

#15 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey ISO and Bonghead- Thanks for the good karma and advice being sent. I appreciate it! I'm actually having good luck with the seeds popping out of the Coco once I've planted them (2 for 2 so far). The problem is that the remaining Amsterdam Flame seeds in the wet paper towel aren't opening up and showing tails. I've put 3 Snow White seeds in the wet paper towel with the Flame seeds and they've opened up and are showing tails after 24 hours. A small footnote: the Flame seeds are not from a breeder like Nirvana or Barney's Farm so there is a chance that the rest of them may not actually fly. I'm still gonna wait and see, though. Patience may win out. Will be back later today with some pics! -Scoob

#16 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

give them time scoob iv known a seed to take a week in wet tissue so be patient, ooooh more snow white sweet :) bonghead

#17 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hi Everyone! Here's some quick pics! Amsterdam Flame seeds. All have been soaking for 10 days now. One has a tail sticking out slightly. It's been stuck like that unchanged for the past 5 days. Will keep watching them just in case they decide to spring to life. Attached File  IMG_3160.jpg   77.4KB   2 downloads Decided to hedge my bets with 3 Snow White seeds. Hopefully there's at least one girl in this camp. I planted them yesterday (Monday) and they look like this today (Tuesday). They'll likely be transplanted tomorrow. These are acting like the batch of Snow White seeds from my 1st grow... fast moving and ready to party!!! Attached File  IMG_3158.jpg   61.14KB   3 downloads And here's the 2 Amsterdam Flame seeds that actually popped pretty quickly. They're loving the Coco and are solid little seedlings so far. Got a fan with a gentle breeze blowing on them and they're standing up loud and proud. Hope one of you's a girl. If not then, well...I'll have to kill you. Know what I mean? Attached File  IMG_3167.jpg   154.82KB   3 downloads Attached File  IMG_3168.jpg   130.35KB   3 downloads Thanks to all of you who have stopped in to check things out. I know it's slow at this point. Hopefully the action will pick up soon. I'll try to keep you entertained in the meantime. Maybe I'll sing a song for you or something. Here...I'm strumming my guitar. Can you hear that? Me neither. I've gotta plug my guitar into the amp. Damn. See y'all around, Scoob

#18 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Giggles... Super update, Scoob, don't forget to plug in the amp after;) Your girls look great, and I think it was right nice of you to give 'em fair warning about dropping sets of fuzzy dice. No stress or anything, just remember I'll pull off your legs and wring your pretty little necks should you decide otherwise. Have a nice veg period;) I just ordered my coco + adapted nutes yesterday and have a few beans in water, yeeha! AAAnd a HEATING PAD, for the little ones. I'll be hanging a week back from you. Great day! gv

#19 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

girly karma sent your way,,,,,sometimes seeds are just duds
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, Zoot and 6 others like this

#20 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Those little babies peeking out of the soil are so cute! Yes, time for the guitar. Maybe the vibrations from the amp will pop the seeds guitar.gif

#21 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

I can't believe it. I just spent like 30 g#$!damn minutes on a journal and I lost it when the interweb machine went down. AAAAAAARRRRGHHH!!!!!! :scream: Well, here's a couple of highlights of what I said: 1. I'm leaving town for 4 days and my wife will take over watering and caretaking duties. Luckily there's not much to do at this stage except look at the babies and enjoy their cuteness. 2. Toke has a fu##king ton of knowledge about growing. I'm thankful to have him leading the way and teaching me to be a better grower. 3. I'm high. 4. I've gotta pack. I'm so behind schedule right now. Oh, shite. I've gotta to laundry, too. Dammmmmmmit!!! 5. Time to take another vape rip. 6. I started making Tincture with the portion of my bud that hermed on the last grow. Used Everclear and am now just waiting for 2 weeks to pass. Thanks for your help, Kitty! 7. I'm high. 8. I've run out of things to say. Plus my dog is looking at me like I'm crazy and I'm thinking she may be right. 9. Gotta go. 10. Goodnight. 11. Scoob 12. Thanks for stopping in! 13. Will have pics up next Tuesday after I've gotten home and gotten settled in.
  • Tokecrazy, Greenview, bongbonghi and 11 others like this

#22 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

aaahhh a stoned lost update.... i feel ya scoob...............but the dog thinking you're crazy?, nah I think maybe the dog is stoned too perhaps???

safe travels & the babes are in the best of care :)

hugs to you and yours....<----admittedly stoned ha ha

#23 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

I see you left time for another vape session! Have a safe trip, Scoobs

#24 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

Still on the road, Scoob? Bet you're more curious than we are about how your kidsies are doing;) Great timing for me, you and toke doing this thread; I'm on this like white on rice. I've got three up in their coco puffs, 2nd day of life above ground. Is it necessary to add CalMag immediately? I put just a few drops of formulex @1ml liter. I've also got them on a heating pad, and wow do I recommend that. They popped in a day, after soaking in water 'til cracking. I got a little nervous when Sir ISO said they'd go toward the heat, but they're right side up;) 35 bucks 35watts. Happy landings!

#25 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

good luck on the trip and with your babies
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, Zoot and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amsterdam Flame, Coco

0 user(s) are reading this topic