10 replies to this topic

#1 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Had my 1st grow this year,didnt know me arse from me elbow but have been bitten by the growing bug.I used a 300 watt dual spectrum cfl in a 19"x32"x6',heat wasnt a problem.Next year Im thinking of switching to 250 watt hps.Should I use the cfl during the veggie stage then switch to the hps or should I use the hps all through both stages? Could I increase the area of grow slightly,20"x45" with the same results? Thanks
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, Lucky_Cat and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Bonelessme

Bonelessme

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

floro in veg is good me id just use the hps all the way through

#3 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

hey Turbo! I'd say go hps.... my old set up was a tent measuring 20deepX36wideX63height and I grew with 400wHps. I think you can put that in your same size... looks/sounds the same to me. Others will pipe in :) (but the seedlings were under 175wMh for the 1st 2 wks or so... You can click on my first grow in my signature... trust me, I knew not a thing... now I know "some" things :)
t5's are also an option for some in veg and allows you to keep the lights real close to the plants (unlike a hps).
be well :)
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, Lucky_Cat and 2 others like this

#4 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks guys.Poet thats some dairy you have going,brill growing,how many plants did you have in the 20x36x63 (stoned moment,just took me about 5 minutes to get thoes dimensions right :mellow: ) tent.Did you have any temps issues with the 400 watt,I thought I'd be best with the 250 watt given the area involved. Take it easy guys,Happy and good growing New Year :)
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, Lucky_Cat and 3 others like this

#5 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hey Turbo, the issues that came up were the RH rising, but it had more to do with how it was being "vented out" into another area (not outside)... so every other day or so when lights came on, I would put my box fan in front of the tent to pull out some of the heat/humidity (but you need to keep watching the temps/rh regardless because it shifts depending on what stage of growth they are in. I have never been able to run more than 3 plants at a time (even after adding a 2nd and slightly larger tent 24X48X60 for flowering), and with 3 plants it was extremely "squished" in the original tent when they stretched and flowered... which then will lead you to figuring out what method of training your plants works best for you and your situation. My out of control but great yeilding 1st grow was done with barely or no training... which is why it was so out of control! eeek I'm sure you've already seen in your first grow how they can double or triple in size/height after the big stretcheroo (1st grow was above and beyond the light.. looked like a jungle!). I still say in that size tent you have, you can increase your yeild if you have a higher powered hps... am going to see if i can drag someone over to help and to make sure I'm giving you the the right information :) The Dairy Queen you referred to was when I had to learn to LST... lots of work but excellent results (worth it if you have no problems physically lol) Now am learning Supercropping and fimming and things... there's alot to learn but its alot of fun learning and seeing the differences that happens with each attempt at something new.
If everything is set up right from the beginning, (I am not a good source of help on that part... others will chime in) it'll go easier for you (imho)... do lots of reading and get prepared for FUN and nothing beats providing yourself with your own medication (or fun stuff) ha ha and yep once the Grow bug hits ya... its such an enjoyable thing to do!!!. I don't know what hardware you have as far as fans, etc., and it would be lost on me.. but it may help others to be able to help you... if and when you are ready to begin a journal, try and list what you're working with (I listed everything in my first post in my 1st grow journal so I could refer back to it later), am not sure if you have already started one and maybe I missed it? dunno
Tweaking is inevitable.. we start out with what we have to work with "space wise & $". My 1st 3 grows were in your size tent (in siggy), only my last grow was in the slightly larger tent and the reason for it was too much down time between starting another run, am aiming for perpetual (but took a year to attempt to put it together). I find it easier now to have something vegging as the flowering ones are doing their thing, then can clone, and repeat... the goal is a harvest potentially every 6wks.. would be nice anyways :) its the "supply & demand = body demands more so I have to figure out how to supply it and make the body happy!!!

Big issue I found inevitable is it now needs to be exhausted to the "outside"...however you may not have the issues I had and the tweaking continues.

In the old (1st tent which is now the veg tent) I had just gotten a 250wHps for veg (and still may use it) but now have a t5 set up for veg to try and work around electricity issues and there is so much less heat issues now in vegging.

Cfl's are great for the seedlings, clones & vegging entirely (though not flower)... if you look in the current grow journals and look at Kitty's Closet thread grow, you'll see how beautiful her plants do under cfl's (am sure others use them as well). I had just recently gotten cfl's to use on my clones and Mother Plants Do you have a separate area that you'll be starting the plants in or is everything done in the one tent?

I'm still learning Turbo.. hope I didn't confuse you more!!

p.s. just remember we love to see pics!!!
lmao @ how much I just typed rofl.... not my fault... the oil kicked in and I got all yack yack yack!
guitar.gif

#6 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

:I agree: Attached File  A.jpg   25.02KB   0 downloads

Looks like Poet has ya pointed in the right direction!! Just remember the fun part!

Edited by HD96, 29 December 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Poet and HD96,yep yur right ,remember the fun bit.I have a 4" ruk extractor fan with carbon filter ducted up thru the roof of the garage and down the outside wall that helped when the plants got smelly.I tried LST but still ended up with low yield but very chuffed to have grown any amount.Been reading bout supper cropping and fimming,think I'll give one or other a whirl.I kept a written journal in a wee book,didnt put journal on the forum as was too nervous that I'd stuff the grow up :lol: you have set me thinking bout a seperate veggie box,just read thru Kittys Closet journal,excellent,that girl has green toes never mind fingers! I'm in the UK so the winter would hamper me but if I could get 2 staggered grows in the one season it might be worth a try. just now Im reading up on new seeds and hps lights and am chomping at the bit for next years grow. Thanks for your post and happy growing in 2013.Opps suns over the yardarm,time for a cake :party time:

#8 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

glad you checked out Kitty's Closet... forgot that she even flowers under the cfl's! Let the fun begin :)
flyingsmiley.gif

#9 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

FFS... green toes too now huh???? Oye LOLOLOL! Setting up a veg area is very easy Turbo.. most especially with the cfls. Can do it almost anywhere you have space without a tent as long as you stay safe from prying eyes with it. I've always vegged under 24/7 lights so no worries there and temps can be a bit higher without any ill effects too. Not too high now though LOL. This way if you have vegged plants ready to flip you can easily get 2 - 3 grows in a yr indoors. I'm lucky here in that I don't have to worry bout a bunch of visitors or nosey neighbors and such and that always helps too LOL. Yes flowering under the cfls works well too.... you just don't get as big a yield as an hps. No light penetration to the lower buds, but the tops really do great. The fresh bud shot in my gallery with the pepsi can was a 1/4oz DRIED... just that one bud so I surely can't complain! Wishin you the best... and if ya need anything just give a yell Hugs
  • Tokecrazy, Greenview, plant boy and 4 others like this

#10 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

best of luck with the new grow,,,,,i use cfl's for veg or the sun in the spring and hps X 2 1000 watts for flower, but i have the room
  • Tokecrazy, Lucky_Cat and HD96 like this

#11 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

Aye,its a good set up you have there PB,oops,think i call you PL in a previous post,sorry bout that.
  • HD96 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cfl, hps, veggie stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users