DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Never too old!!!!!

In late November, University of Colorado police officers ticketed a man found passed out behind the wheel of his rental car in front of the university's police station. Officers allege that the man, Gregg Nelson, was under the influence of marijuana; they found pot brownie crumbs in a container in the car as well as "a rolled-up marijuana cigarette and a lighter" on his person.

"When officers tried to wake Nelson up, he could only mumble, and police said when they asked him to turn off his car, he instead tried pushing buttons on his dashboard and kept trying to take off his seatbelt even though he had already taken it off.
Nelson also had difficulty standing on his own, according to the report. He was taken to Boulder Community Hospital for treatment."

Man gets caught high by police on a college campus and hijinks ensue? Nothing unusual about that -- except for maybe the man's age: Nelson is 60, not typically the age associated with a recreational marijuana user.

Reefer, pot, weed, the ganj, Mary Jane... whatever you call it, there seems to be a prevailing notion that marijuana use has an expiration date -- and it's well before you hit midlife. Older smokers may not be aware of the effect the drug may have on their bodies, but that hasn't stopped many from from toking up: 7.5 percent of adults between the ages of 50 and 59 and 2.1 percent of those 60 and up used marijuana in 2011, according to the National Institute of Drug Abuse. Marijuana use in adults has steadily increased in both age groups since 2002 (then 3.1 percent for those 50-59 years old and 1 percent of those 60 and older). About 6 percent of people aged 50 to 59 are using illicit drugs, usually marijuana, according to Dr. Susan Weiss, the scientific advisor to the director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse.

"We know from our national survey [that] the prevalence of marijuana use in this generation of older people is higher than in previous generations," she said.

Marijuana-related trips to the hospital like Nelson's are also becoming more common. Between 2004 and 2010, the number of 55- to 64-year-olds who went to an emergency room with marijuana in their system rose from 3,671 to 14,019, according to the Drug Abuse Warning Network.

"One of the things that we don’t know is whether these are people who are using drugs continually since the time they were younger or if they are people who are going back to the drug," Weiss explained.

Whatever camp these midlifers fall into, both populations are likely to continue to grow as states like Colorado and Washington legalize recreational use of marijuana and with new businesses targeting pot-loving baby boomers popping up.

The trend made us wonder: are you ever too old to try marijuana?

"When you're too old to feel good, you're too old to do recreational drugs :)," tweeted one follower.
"Try it for what?" Yolanda Valdez, a Huff/Post50 Facebook fan wrote. "Better to live your life in reality than having illusions."

But is the stigma around older people using the drug warranted? "I think when someone who is not a cannabis supporter hears about 'recreational' use of the herb, they imagine all sorts of horrible outcomes," wrote Laurel Dewey, who spoke to a number of midlife marijuana users while doing research for her novel, "Betty's (Little Basement) Garden." "To them, 'recreational' use translates into out of control behavior, bad judgment calls, inability to focus or speak rationally and any number of other purported reactions that hover more in the realm of 'Reefer Madness' than reality.
'Recreation' to most people does not involve taking ridiculous risks that put one's life in peril,"

Dewey continued. "Ask anyone 'of a certain age' what 'recreation' means and they'll say, relaxing, letting go of life's worries, laughing, hanging out with friends, enjoying the outdoors or talking with friends. All of these can be part of recreational cannabis use."

Along with being a way to relax, the medical benefits of marijuana have been tapped and explored for years. In 1850, marijuana was listed as a recognized medicine in the U.S. Pharmacopia, where it stayed until 1941. Though fraught with controversy, marijuana has been said to have therapeutic effects on 200 medical conditions, including cancer, Alzheimer's and HIV/AIDS.

"Doing them is never the problem," wrote Facebook fan Tommie Baines. "How about recovery? Or simply getting your business handled afterward? I need a week off if I party too hard, and I'm already forgetting stuff. I don't see how recreational drugs help me with my life at all..."

These are very real concerns, noted Weiss of the National Institute fo Drug Abuse. She said that the negative effects of marijuana can be even stronger in older users compared to younger smokers: "For somebody who is older, the effects may be the same but the baseline is different." Though Weiss admits there isn't a large body of research on marijuana use in this demographic, she said that one still could speculate on the effects based on what is already known about the drug.

Cognitive Impairment: "We do know that marijuana affects short-term memory: that's what makes it hard to remember what you just did or what you just said," Weiss explained. "Those effects tend to last during the period of intoxication and then they go away in someone who uses the drug occasionally. For somebody who uses the drug regularly, the effects can last beyond the point of intoxication, so they may be compromised the next day, or maybe the next two days. If you have somebody who is older to begin with and they have some impaired cognitive functioning, it’s possible that marijuana would be even more distrubtive to them.
"As you get older, you metabolize drugs more slowly so they can stay in your system a lot longer," Weiss said. "It’s another reason why it’s impairing effects on memory might last longer than in someone who is young."

Increased Heart Rate, Rate Of Breathing And Blood Pressure: Marijuana is known to cause all of these symptoms -- which could be problematic for some older marijuana users who may have impaired cardiac functioning, Weiss said. "There does seem to be an increased risk for heart attack after the first half hour of smoking marijuana."

Medicine Interactions: Marijuana may not interact well with prescriptions you're already taking, which is more of a worry for older users than younger ones, Weiss said. "They could be taking drugs like Valium, which could also affect their memory, their thinking and their coordination, so you could also have an increased risk of falls and accidents." Medicines that do not interact well with marijuana include barbiturates, Ambien and Ativan.

Marijuana Is A LOT Stronger These Days: "The potency of marijuana has gone up a lot since the 1980s. It used to be 2-3 percent THC -- the active ingredient in marijuana that gets people high and causes [side effects]," Weiss said. "Now the average THC in marijuana is 9-10 percent. That means people can be exposed to higher doses than they’re used to, and one thing we know about exposure to high doses [is that it] can be linked to feelings of paranoia and anxiety and even acute psychosis."

Addiction: Though there are varying viewpoints as to whether or not marijuana is addictive, Weiss said there is an increase in adults seeking treatment for marijuana abuse. (The Drug Policy Alliance has stated that this increase does not reflect actual clinical dependence on the drug.)
No matter what, if you're going to smoke up -- whether freely enjoying your states' new law or taking illicit tokes at home -- do it safely.

******************************************************************************************************

If they would check out Granny's list of research, they just might do some real research and stop with the lies they make up in their heads thinking the people will believe in what they say.. Only the uneducated would come up with crap like this,, Being a life time smoker, I know what Cannabis does for me and it is all good,, Most people don't eat strong brownies and get into their car and drive,, It is the ones who do so that gets the uneducated scientist and doctors all excited with their reefer madness... Deb
  • plant boy, teddys head, KnuckleDragger and 7 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I get the feeling whoever wrote that isn't pro-pot.
  • plant boy, kittypup, DEBhasgrn and 3 others like this

#3 EektheGrey

EektheGrey

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Great find Deb,

You are absolutely right KD, not pro pot

The reason there isn't a "large body of research from this demographic," is because they refuse to look at it. It doesn't fit their needs. There are quite a few right on this site. Not really hard to find them is it?

The writer does give recognition of how absurd the "reefer madness" mentality is. However the one "tweeter" who say we don't live in reality, well what reality is she talking about? The one where she ignores homeless people because they get in the way of her shopping experience? Or follow people who like to pass laws against a woman's own body? Is that the reality she was talking about, because who is being real here. Sure we like to medicate, but it doesn't make me forget what's important. You know, like two bottles of 30 dollar wine every night can do.

bfn,

Eek
  • plant boy, sandbreak, DEBhasgrn and 2 others like this

#4 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18521 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

reminds me of that song by alan parsons " phyco Babble"
  • PoeticLife, DEBhasgrn, EektheGrey and 1 other like this

#5 greenman60

greenman60

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have been smoking pot for over 40 years now on a daily basis and it has done me nothing but good. For SURE you are NEVER too old !!! In fact I think people who indulge in the herb keep a younger thinking mind and way of thinking longer into life than people who dont and are " straight " all their lives. If you are not too old to experience pleasure then you are not too old to be taking marijhuana , its ideal for all ages , I do think starting at age 20 ish though but going on till the die you die. Thats it for me anyway and I kind of new it from and early age of smoking pot that it would be part of my life for ever and that is the way it has turned out. Just wish I had grown my own earlier in life but been into it now for past 2 years and love it as a hobby as well as the end result. AND it really does help with me arthritis which is in my knees and affects my mobility so I now walk with a stick. GM.
  • GarageGrower, DEBhasgrn, EektheGrey and 3 others like this

#6 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

i'll be too old to medicate when i'm dead....
  • PoeticLife, GarageGrower, DEBhasgrn and 3 others like this

#7 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

i'll be too old to medicate when i'm dead....

Heck when my time is up I'm going to take some weed with me, You never know who I'll bump into and want some of the good stuff.. lol
  • PoeticLife, Ohmless, Inee and 1 other like this

#8 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

sweetheart if you have that kinda pull, leave the gate propped open for me would ya? lol
  • PoeticLife, DEBhasgrn, Ohmless and 1 other like this

#9 greenman60

greenman60

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

It`s a bit like saying , when are you too old for having sex .
  • PoeticLife, DEBhasgrn, EektheGrey and 2 others like this

#10 EektheGrey

EektheGrey

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

It`s a bit like saying , when are you too old for having sex .

Maybe I am to old for pot then, ha ha ha
:I dont get it:

eek

Edited by MasterEek, 13 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

• PoeticLife, DEBhasgrn and Widespread like this

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

• DEBhasgrn, EektheGrey and Widespread like this

#12 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'll take my reality with a heavy dose of "illusion" as they called it! am all along the plan for the afterlife and toking..... hey it could happen no?
  • DEBhasgrn, EektheGrey and Widespread like this

#13 Widespread

Widespread

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOld Kentuckee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

There is no question that it impairs short-term memory temporarily. And, intuitively, one can see how people might think that it could exacerbate declining mental function. But counterintuitively, there is evidence that smoking pot in one's younger years can actually help prevent Alzheimer's later. But what really ticked me off is that Ms. Weiss keeps coming up with reasons why it might affect the older population more dramatically, without ever giving one shred of evidence that it actually does affect older people more. I believe the scientific term for this is wanking.
  • DEBhasgrn and Ohmless like this

#14 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Widespread, you may find this to be interesting!

Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment. (abst – 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23042808

Unfortunately, we have bred most of the CBD out of our cannabis in favor of THC! The "pure" THC strains are also responsible for those panic attacks and paranoia some folks get. The memory problems shouldn't be as bad, either if you are using cannabis with CBD in it.

And about that being too old? Hysterical :I dont get it: Cannabis is good for us old folk! Helps with the aches and pains, and a lot more!

Seniors Benefit Most From Medical Marijuana (news – 2012)
http://www.doobons.c...ical-marijuana/

How Cannabinoids May Slow Brain Aging (news – 2012)
http://healthland.ti...ow-brain-aging/

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006) (THC vs ARICEPT! :sabres: THC FTW!!!)
http://www.webmd.com...slow-alzheimers

Can the benefits of cannabinoid receptor stimulation on neuroinflammation, neurogenesis and memory during normal aging be useful in AD prevention? (full – 2012) http://www.jneuroinf.../content/9/1/10

Cannabinoid-1 Receptor Protects The Brain From Aging (news – 2011)
http://www.medicalne...ases/230948.php

NORML’s Eleven Surprising Things About Marijuana That Seniors Need to Know
(news – 2012) http://www.theweedbl...bout-marijuana/

Pot smoking not tied to middle-age mental decline (news – 2012)
http://www.mnn.com/h...-mental-decline

Reefer tokin' seniors in South Florida see pain go up in smoke (news – 2012)
http://articles.sun-...er-pain-seniors

Silver Tour: Wall Street Journal Looks At Seniors and Medical Marijuana Use
(news – 2012)
http://blog.norml.or...-marijuana-use/

And I have to include this one! LOL :peace1:

125 Year Old Woman Claimed Smoking Cannabis Everyday Was Her Secret to Long Life (news – 2011)
http://www.hanf-info...ed-Smoking.html

Seniors DO have one major problem with cannabis, however.....

Seniors having Trouble Getting Medical Marijuana (news – 2012)
http://www.opposingv...dical-marijuana

Pot for Grandma? Middle-Aged Adults Buying Weed for Ailing Parents (news – 2010)
http://www.parentdis...2010/10/11/pot/

Granny :peace1:
  • DoobieDuck, GarageGrower, DEBhasgrn and 3 others like this

#15 DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationThe Real Nothern Cal..

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Cannabis is good for us old folk! Helps with the aches and pains, and a lot more!
Granny :peace1:

Granny you always provide some of the best info, thank you, and for that ^ ^ as well...I like the "a lot more" reference..if it helps someone improve their quality of life in any way it's a great thing for us old folks..thanks for all you do. DD
  • DEBhasgrn, Ohmless and Widespread like this

#16 Ohmless

Ohmless

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

marijuana must be bad because it made the author go to the most biased "authorities" for the article to reinforce his dogma. "I am afraid of elderly people as it is, just imagine if they were insane on the reefer" I think their lack of being able to tell if someone is a lifetime user or a naive user as proof of the drug's long term safety.
  • GarageGrower, DEBhasgrn, BudGreen and 1 other like this

#17 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well I managed to crawl out of bed dragged the pipe to my old and feeble lips once again. So I guess I'm not too old yet... :D
  • DoobieDuck, DEBhasgrn and Widespread like this

#18 Houris

Houris

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Theres one thing worse then Lies, that would be half-truths. Lies wrapped in some truth to hide the reallity. Did they get any comments from Mr. Nelson?,...no,..how about what any blood work fom the hospital show?,..nada. Transcripts from when Mr. Nelson went before the Judge? Nothing.
Heres how I see what could have just as easily had happened...Mr. Nelson, a diabetic, was driving along when he "felt" a diabetic siezure(?..episode?) coming on. So, he saw the police station ahead and decided that would be a safe spot to pull over and try and self medicate, since no hospital was in the area. Only it was to little to late,...the Cops found Mr. Nelson during his episode, or right after..confused and weak. Cops did what they do and assumed it was the Cannabis and thus a 60 year old diabetic is labled "pot head". I would like to think Mr. Nelson to be a logical human trying to do the right thing as best he could.
a real shame..
  • DEBhasgrn, painretreat, BudGreen and 1 other like this

#19 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

"When officers tried to wake Nelson up, he could only mumble, and police said when they asked him to turn off his car, he instead tried pushing buttons on his dashboard and kept trying to take off his seatbelt even though he had already taken it off.
Nelson also had difficulty standing on his own, according to the report. He was taken to Boulder Community Hospital for treatment

LMAO...poor guy. Did nothing wrong. I can see him hitting buttons. LOL

Though Weiss admits there isn't a large body of research on marijuana use in this demographic, she said that one still could speculate on the effects based on what is already known about the drug.

We don't have evidence so we'll make it up.

Liar.

Edited by GarageGrower, 14 March 2013 - 10:43 PM.

• painretreat and Widespread like this

#20 Widespread

Widespread

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOld Kentuckee

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

Although I admit there is not a large body of research on Weiss, I can still speculate that her panties may be in a wad.
  • GarageGrower likes this

#21 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I like sex and smoking. Still get the order mixed up. LOL
  • DoobieDuck likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic