Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

New Study On Omega 3, Cannabinoids And Cancer!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Cannabinoids and omega-3/6 endocannabinoids as cell death and anticancer modulators. (abst – 2012) Cannabinoids and omega-3/6 endocannabinoids a... [Prog Lipid Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids-endocannaboids are possible preventatives of common diseases including cancers. Cannabinoid receptors (CB(1/2), TRPV1) are central components of the system. Many disease-ameliorating effects of cannabinoids-endocannabinoids are receptor mediated, but many are not, indicating non-CBR signaling pathways. Cannabinoids-endocannabinoids are anti-inflammatory, anti-proliferative, anti-invasive, anti-metastatic and pro-apoptotic in most cancers, in vitro and in vivo in animals. They signal through p38, MAPK, JUN, PI3, AKT, ceramide, caspases, MMPs, PPARs, VEGF, NF-κB, p8, CHOP, TRB3 and pro-apoptotic oncogenes (p53,p21 waf1/cip1) to induce cell cycle arrest, autophagy, apoptosis and tumour inhibition. Paradoxically they are pro-proliferative and anti-apoptotic in some cancers. Differences in receptor expression and concentrations of cannabinoids in cancer and immune cells can elicit anti- or pro-cancer effects through different signal cascades (p38MAPK or PI3/AKT). Similarities between effects of cannabinoids-endocannabinoids, omega-3 LCPUFA and CLAs/CLnAs as anti-inflammatory, antiangiogenic, anti-invasive anti-cancer agents indicate common signaling pathways. Evidence in vivo and in vitro shows EPA and DHA can form endocannabinoids that: (i) are ligands for CB(1/2) receptors and possibly TRPV-1, (ii) have non-receptor mediated bioactivity, (iii) induce cell cycle arrest, (iii) increase autophagy and apoptosis, and (iv) augment chemotherapeutic actions in vitro. They can also form bioactive, eicosanoid-like products that appear to be non-CBR ligands but have effects on PPARs and NF-kB transcription factors. The use of cannabinoids in cancer treatment is currently limited to chemo- and radio-therapy-associated nausea and cancer-associated pain apart from one trial on brain tumours in patients. Further clinical studies are urgently required to determine the true potential of these intriguing, low toxicity compounds in cancer therapy. Particularly in view of their synergistic effects with chemotherapeutic agents similar to that observed for n-3 LCPUFA.

And Granny's translation for those who just lit one up! :pns: (and have these guys ever heard of paragraphs?)

Cannabinoids / endocannaboids prevent common diseases including cancers. Cannabinoid receptors (CB(1/2), TRPV1) are the main components of the endoccanbinoid system (ECS). Many of the healing effects of cannabinoids are controlled by the CB receptors, but many are not, showing that there are non-CBR signaling pathways.

The cannabinoids are anti-inflammatory, stop the growth and spread of cancer, and kill cancer cells by apoptosis (the normally programed death of a cell) in most cancers, both in test tubes and in animals. They do this by using several different ways to stop the cancer cells’ “cell cycle”, cause the cells to self-destruct through autophagy, set off the apoptosis process, and in other ways, simply inhibit the tumor.

Oddly, in a very few types of tumors, cannabinoids can make things worse – causing the cancer to spread and refuse to die! Differences in types of receptors and concentrations of cannabinoids in cancer and immune cells can cause anti- or pro-cancer effects through different signal cascades (p38MAPK or PI3/AKT).

Similarities between effects of cannabinoids, omega-3 as anti-inflammatory, antiangiogenic (preventing new blood vessels to feed the tumor), anti-invasive, anti-cancer agents indicate they may use the same pathways.

Evidence from test tube and animal studies, show that Omega 3s can form endocannabinoids that (i) activate CB receptors, (ii) act in way that don’t use receptors, (iii) stop the cell’s cycle of growth while increasing apoptosis and autophagy and (iv) help chemotherapy agents to work better!

They also form other compounds that don’t react to CB receptors, but have other anti-cancer effects.

The use of cannabinoids in cancer treatment is currently limited to chemo- and radio-therapy-associated nausea and cancer-associated pain apart from one very promising trial on brain tumors in patients*.

Further clinical studies are urgently required to determine the true potential of these intriguing, non-poisonous compounds in cancer therapy. Particularly in view of the way cannabinoids seem to work so well chemotherapeutic agents, and that it is very similar to the way Omega 3 also works well with them.

Granny :peace1:

*A pilot clinical study of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. (full - 2006) [font="&quot"]Clinical Studies and Case Reports[/font]
  • DEBhasgrn and EektheGrey like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi Granny!! First, I'd like to thank you for your translation ;) Ever since your first Omega3 topic from last year, https://www.greenpas...ntain-of-youth/ I have been faithfully taking my Omega3 and Cannabis, I'm pretty content with it... In this research, part of it had said that Cannabis can be more harm then good with some very few cancers,, That took me back a bit? Thank you Granny!!!!!
  • EektheGrey likes this

#3 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

deb, nothing is 100% good or bad in this world. Not even cannabis!

But when I ran "THC breast cancer" at pubmed, I had to go back to 2008 to find the first negative study. That study, if repeatable and found to be valid, makes an argument for legalization! We need more research! Studies about cannabinoids need to become common knowledge among our doctors! You don't want to be taking cannabinoids if you have that one specific type of cancer! Your doctor needs to know this, but with the way research into cannabis is marginalized and ignored, he likely won't!

(I also wonder what effect CBD would have on that cancer? THC and CBD work in entirely different ways! They don't even activate the same receptors.)

MOST cancers respond to cannabinoids by dying, but just as the "triple negative" breast cancers "laugh at" conventional chemotherapy treatment, a few types of cancers are just "weird" and respond to cannabinoids in unusual ways. They are "mutants", after all!

However, the preponderance of evidence says that for most cancers, even that nasty "triple negative" breast cancer, cannabinoids help you heal.
  • DEBhasgrn and EektheGrey like this

#4 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Granny, thank you for this most educational thread. The VA had me on 22 different medications. i bled myself off most by myself and with the use of cannabis infused coconut oil i'm down to 6 blood pressure meds and 3 pain medicines. i soon hope to be off all pharms by the end of next year. My AS (ankylosing spondylosis) mixed with CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome) makes it hard to find relief from chronic pain that i suffer from. The VA docs told me if i fall i could suffer a spinal fracture because it's fused in a couple areas. Surgeries can cause my pain level to increase, i could not handle more. i've found a cup of tea with StonedRanger's NN oil does help but i'm parallel and in a partial coma. And moww rubs it on my legs every day because i have trouble walking due to joints full of arthritis. The best application i've found is in 3 ways.... a cup of tea with a teaspoon of the oil, it helps with pain and sleep. Secondly in a hot bath (you better wear socks on this one =), thirdly to rub it in the affected areas. It is the most relaxing and multi-functional oil i've used to date. Yes it's true cannabis can't cure everything nor will it kill all cancers but it can give a person suffering a more comfortable way of life or an easier way out from being terminal. Thank you dear lady for this exceptional work you have done to make it easier for a patient to know where to start in the first place. May our Grandfather bless you with the desire of your heart. i'll shut up now
  • DEBhasgrn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users