9 replies to this topic

#1 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

the mrs tells me we will have a little more money to spend on feeding our plants.. with this said, i wonder if any of you guys would care to tell me what to use.. If you dont mind please start from what to add to the soil and work up .. If im going to do this next year id like to do it right.. I thought id use subcools mixture and start from there.. Im open to what products to use for each stage of growth to finish.. Grampa tom
  • teddys head, PoeticLife and kittypup like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

inside or outside, grampa tom? if in the ground outside, roadkill buried deep in the plant hole is a good way to prep if ya got the time for it.... muA muA
  • teddys head and kittypup like this

#3 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

mua, theres not much of that around here anymore.. for some reason they keep road kill cleaned up putty fast.. In the past ive used what ever i could afford at the time.. I would kind of like to use a good product from start to finish ive been using what ever i hear about. but im not able to obtain what i feel is the full protential of each plant. all though this year im averaging about 1 1/2 lbs per plant.. im not getting much height to the plants i plant outside only. I would really like to follow some some type of regimun from start to finish. any body have any ideas for me grampa tom

Edited by grampa tom, 16 October 2012 - 04:53 AM.

• kittypup likes this

#4 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

no probs, grampatom ....not much of an o/d grower but will do some rummaging for info for ya... muA

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

If you go with a super soil type recipe you won't need much extra ferts. A slow release type like Osmocote http://www.scotts.co...020&id=cat50020 or Jack's Classicote http://www.jrpeters....ClassiCote.html at about 1 tbsp per gallon of soil.
  • HD96 likes this

#6 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I would like to go back to the begining if you guys dont mind..Maybe others have had the same problems.. if so we can help others as well. first of all this last season i planted in raised beds 6 x 6 ft and 12 '' deep// Id like to start there.. i disnot dig out a hole and back fill this year because i was not up to it with my health.. The area were i live is notorious for having hard pann.. you run into it any were from 3o inches down to 48 inches down.. id like to start with the hole.. i was thinking about digging down to the hard pan and the drilling down throught the hard pan if i can so i have better drainage.. i understand that the hard pan can be anywere from 2 to 3 ft thick down to 6 ft or more.. I was thinking about digging the hole about 36 inches in dia. and as deep as i can go to get throughthe hard pan so i have drainage.. i dont want the nuitents sitting at the bottom of the hole and just pilling up and killing the roots.. i understand others have had this problem... any thoughts you guys..

#7 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I was going to borrow a gas post hole augar for the drilling of the hole.. Im assuming that once i get through the hard pan that i wont have to worry about drainage .. I then plan to use sub cool mix and fill the bottom 1/3 with the mix and the rest with local organic potting mix.. to the top of the raised bed Any thought about this so far would be appricated

#8 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Post hole digger will work. I'd put the super soil on top though with the potting mix below.
  • HD96 likes this

#9 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

it was my understanding that subcool put his mix on the bottom, ill have to check it out again. what is you thought about the size of the hole and how deep. i dont want to dig for ever but i would like to see the plants get at lease 6 ft tall instead of 4ft.

#10 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

I believe I also read that he did some additional adding around flower time.. do you have any thoughts about what he used or added. Also , do you think using what soil I did out of the hole will be alright to add to the mix going in the hole..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users