Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo

Afghan #1 Under Hgl Penetrator Pro 84X2 Blahblah... First Led Grow;)

HGL Penetrator Pro LED Airpots Soil Closet grow 2 x 2 grow area Hydrogrow Extreme LED 84 X2

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#26 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

interesting about the heat or lack of it inhibiting the growth... thinking.gif wonder if a similar prob might be avoided by going hydro?

muA

Yeah, Mediuse, people are doing great with aeroponics and hydro, especially because the reservoir stays cool.

hey gv nice thread dude the leds are lookin great, i noticed u mentiond a scrogg screen imo you would be better off making your own grid/screen as the shop bought elastic screens are not very strong and dont seem to hold the plants down enough here dude check my journal https://www.greenpas...se/page__st__50 i make my own with 3 inch squares and it works ace. good luck with the leds.
bonghead

Thanks, Bonghead, it is just supreme laziness NOT to make one of these myself. I did one and threw it out a while back. Dipstick.
GV

• teddys head, sandbreak, Blue61 and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

here'a suggestion then....wh@ about growing the plant in one of those low underbed storage tubs?... only about 5"deep but 2'X3'? ...or something with a similar depth and area profile....so there is more surface area to evaporate moisture from? another thing to consider....I am currently trialing chunky coir mulch as a grow medium...it holds water but not as much as regular fine coir... :D muA
  • Greenview, teddys head, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#28 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

here'a suggestion then....wh@ about growing the plant in one of those low underbed storage tubs?... only about 5"deep but 2'X3'? ...or something with a similar depth and area profile....so there is more surface area to evaporate moisture from?

another thing to consider....I am currently trialing chunky coir mulch as a grow medium...it holds water but not as much as regular fine coir... :D
muA

Whoa, cool idea for medium, Med. Let us know how dat goes. I'm in airpots, luckily, so things are drying up in there OK. There's a little overwatering evidence on the tips of Maria's leaves, and nute burn on Sally's, but otherwise OK. Pretty close to flushing the pots, as I think it was Blue suggested. or Poet? Hm. If I see nute burn on new leaves, in they go;)

Sooo lazy, too much so to scroll up or take pics, resize, etc, so I'll post'm later. They look fine. seeyain a bit, GV
  • teddys head, sandbreak, Scooby and 1 other like this

#29 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

OK, this moment always comes at some point, need your help to confirm a diagnosis before I flush madly and maybe needlessly. Is the following overwatering, or root damage because of slow draining soil, or Nute burn? As you see, it manifests with a browning of the tips of lowest leaves that goes on toward the stem. New growth looks great. Maria's got a good dose of it, and now Janet starting to go that way, so I gotta react. A pic is worth 1000 words, so, stick yer globes on this and lemme know what you think. If it's burn, I flush, which would also bring the low soil ph up. If it's overwater, I sit on my friggin' hands. Intuition says nutes in soil too hot. I'm going to post this i the medical garden. Take a gander at those 'shrooms;)

Attached Files

• bongbonghi, teddys head, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#30 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hmmm, a resounding silence as to the cause of stressto these plants, but life goes on. They're at, let's see, 17, 16, and @10 days and growing right along, in spite of losing a few leaves to burn. I decided to do a little test to see how the girls would react; so, flush Maria, while only feeding Janet tapwater @1 1/2 liters. I wanted to see if the nute burn came from an overdose of rootjuice last watering and not just the pumped up soil. It may be so, because Sally is not so affected, although her roots haven't gotten that far into the substrate. The next day, the girl were BOTH perkier, and all new growth quite happy, but it seems that leaves are still showing some signs that we're not out of the woods.
I've already been through some major doubts about light height, watering, soil PH, even about buying the LED, so I've made sure the temps are in the higher 70's, putting in the red 250cfl for a bit more heat and I've lifted the LED closer to its recommended height for max penetration and safety from those concentrated little beams of protons (18in for veg, 12 max for flower). Hard to trust it'll be enough and that there are things invisible to the naked eye taking care of business... hmmm, sounds familiar. I've also been reassured by some sweet looking grows in soil with the same light. I have a trust problem, apparently.
Here're the pics. Peace, GV
Oh yeah, here's a link to a soil grow done only under the same light;
http://journal.hydro...rnal.aspx?ID=18

Have a good day, all, GV

Attached Files

• bongbonghi, teddys head, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#31 odanfre

odanfre

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Looking forward to your LED grow :D, btw any idea why the burns are appearing? nutes maybe?

#32 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Looking forward to your LED grow :D, btw any idea why the burns are appearing? nutes maybe?

Hey, young Sir Odanfre, welcome aboard! I read your first grow journal the other day; your girls are looking really great now you've got the right lights, and I enjoy your enthusiasm;) Congrats! I wish I could say the same for these.
I've never had trouble in veg before, but the LED growing has thrown a learning curveball at me. Soil stays wet much too long, even at 25% perlite, and yes, I think the soil's too hot for them, Atami Kilomix, not for starters. Older growth on the bigger two is really suffering this morning, especially Janet, but Sally still looks great. I think I'm going to have to either feed them MUCH less, like quarter liter at a time, or repot them with different soil. temps are good, 75-79, rh 50. Could definitely be soil PH too low, also, as runoff was 6,2. I may go flush Janet, but it takes them soo long to dry after, about a week! Maria, the one I flushed, is actually worse off than Janet, who got a regular feeding, so it must be overwatering, or soil drainage. Damn, I thought with the airpots i'd have better evaporation, maybe need more air circ, too. Hm. Anyway, now I will definitely post this in the plant-aid section. As usual, the ones I thought would outperform get nailed by something and the runt ends up bushy and squat comme il faut ;)
Here're yesterday's pics of the massive, almost 400watt grow. As I say this something occurs to me. I have another weapon at my disposal and I'm just being stubborn by not using it but why not? I've got the 250cfl in there and it's not helping so much. So, before changing anything else, I'm going to replace the 250cfl with the 250 MHw/diamond reflector, which the plants love. Light distance is about the same for the LED and the MH at that wattage, so I can make a light arrangement that should get the best of both. I suppose I can leave that MH in there as is to the end; should make a nice mix with the awesome red spectrums of the LED. I'll also have to heat the apartment less;)
If they don't start drinking then, I know I have to repot.
Cool. Nice to have a project.
I'm smoking some Mako right now; first time ever for this strain, and as you might notice, quite energizing. Cannabis Cup best Sativa in 2007 I think.
I'm going to get on those lights. Good day, GV

Attached Files

#33 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well, the surgery is done, now we wait and see. I think all issues should be taken care of here. I repotted all three in BioBizz light mix, adding another 20% perlite to get up to LED-grow specs, and replaced the CFL with the 250MH. My main three problems were wrong soil for young plants, not enough perlite in the mix for LED growing and not enough heat. I also fimmed yesterday, so we're talking major stress. I hope they're ok, and I'm relieved they won't be burnt by the soil nor get overwatered. When I took Maria out of her pot, she was still soaked from her flush more than a week ago! Poor thing. I'll give you a before and after photo update when there's an "after". Happy healing! GV

#34 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

hey up Greenview neat set up :321:

you've had a few set backs but your winning

thing i noticed with big pots is when there left sitting and not drying out the ph goes up

then they definitely won't drink :(

smaller pots at the start and up potting as you go should help :fly:

good call on the muck change :)

Health and happiness
  • Greenview, bongbonghi, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#35 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Greenview... take a looky here ...tried using water expanding crystals in my cutting-inna-glassa-water thread....results were...less than expected and a lil suprising to boot...perhaps addition of some of these might help with your excess moisture in the soil problem....another thing to possibly consider is a wide mouthed low profile pot...same or similar volume but mebbe 4" deep , eh?

OR...consider an airpot?....more chance for moisture loss th@ way? thinking.gif EDIT: stoner am I!...I just read up again....ya got airpots and even said so in reply to me Hysterical .....MMmmm, might ask Eek for a crow recipie :lol: ....oooh, eeeeeeek!?? muhahahaa

muA
  • Greenview, bongbonghi, teddys head and 4 others like this

#36 odanfre

odanfre

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hey T&M I hope you can get find a solution to your drainage problem, maybe just giving very little water is the solution? just enough for the roots to soak up a bit? well I don't know, I hope the girls get better, have a good day :D! :toking:
  • Greenview, bongbonghi, teddys head and 3 others like this

#37 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi there GV! This will be an interesting learning experience. I've always wondered how an LED grow would go. I'm pulling up a chair for this! While I'm not a master gardener, this will be an education for me as well. I am wondering however, about the spectrum of the light, since it's LED. It almost looks like the plants aren't producing enough chlorophyll, they just don't look green as green can be.
  • Greenview, teddys head, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#38 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

desi...plants under LED look different in colour when photographed w/o a regular light... muA
  • Greenview, teddys head, PoeticLife and 3 others like this

#39 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

hope you get it all sorted out and your plants do really well. I am still learning so I'll be quiet and lurking and watching!

be well & be high :)

#40 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

was just listening to heavy T's growshow....a suggestion of theirs for an airpot th@ stays too wet....raise the pots 4" or more to allow warmer air to flow under the airpot... might be worth a try, eh? thinking.gif muA

#41 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

hey up Greenview neat set up

you've had a few set backs but your winning

thing i noticed with big pots is when there left sitting and not drying out the ph goes up

then they definitely won't drink

smaller pots at the start and up potting as you go should help

good call on the muck change

Health and happiness

Hey, Ted's, great to see you! Yeah, I don't give up until they write me a letter asking me to. You're right, too, the girls are winning! And i did brain fart with the pot size; the girl in the 2 gallon is doing better than the girls in the 3. I shoulda started small.

Hi there GV! This will be an interesting learning experience. I've always wondered how an LED grow would go. I'm pulling up a chair for this!

While I'm not a master gardener, this will be an education for me as well. I am wondering however, about the spectrum of the light, since it's LED. It almost looks like the plants aren't producing enough chlorophyll, they just don't look green as green can be.

;) Hello, Desi, nice to have you along. always good to have another pair of experienced or just sympathetic eyes. Medi got it right; the girl's color is normal. Today's pics will tell all. The good news is that the LED light works really well and will be great when I select the winner who'll be alone under it with the mh on the side. I'm just experimenting too, Des, though expensive little giggle of an experiment, but I like the idea of an LED/MH mix. Here's the spectrum, unless it's changed with new models. http://www.hydrogrow...Growth-W13.aspx
To the eye they look very red or magentaish, but the plants dig 'em.
Welcome and thanks, gv

Greenview... take a looky here ...tried using water expanding crystals in my cutting-inna-glassa-water thread....results were...less than expected and a lil suprising to boot...perhaps addition of some of these might help with your excess moisture in the soil problem....another thing to possibly consider is a wide mouthed low profile pot...same or similar volume but mebbe 4" deep , eh?

OR...consider an airpot?....more chance for moisture loss th@ way? EDIT: stoner am I!...I just read up again....ya got airpots and even said so in reply to me .....MMmmm, might ask Eek for a crow recipie ....oooh, eeeeeeek!?? muhahahaa

muA

Hey, MediUse, thanks again for the link, really cool; and now I've seen more than a few grows now on youtube with more bin-like shallow pots I believe you;) I'll stick with the airpots (ayep;)) now I've got the 250 mh in there. They're drinking now, and drying up.

hope you get it all sorted out and your plants do really well. I am still learning so I'll be quiet and lurking and watching!

be well & be high

Lurk away, dear Poet, lurk away;)

was just listening to heavy T's growshow....a suggestion of theirs for an airpot th@ stays too wet....raise the pots 4" or more to allow warmer air to flow under the airpot...
might be worth a try, eh? thinking.gif

muA

Huh, I never thought of that. Sho 'nough, as the bottom of the pot is a mesh, that would expose it more. Thanks, MuA! I've got them all propped up a bit, so mayba I'll raise the light and do it to the 4". They almost completely dry and perking up bigtime.

SO let's see, where were we? Oh, I flipped out, albeit bit too late, and repotted the three in Biobizz Light mix... sort of a violent repotting, I have to admit. At least I was somewhat traumatized, the girls are OK. They got light water so help the roots dig in, but nothing since. So, problem numba one, the hot soil, was taken care of, and now they've got baby nutrients in there for a good two weeks until they recover and I start feeding them.
Problem two, not enough heat (had 75 need at least 80): I took out the cfl and put back in the 250mh and now temps are steady at 80 and they've got the best light for this stage of veg. I cycle the big girls under the mh as their soil dries. Sally, the good lookin one, was exclusively under the LED as she was pretty dry.
Problem three, drainage. I mixed another coupla liters per pot of perlite during repot, bringing it up to @40-45%, good for LED grow. I also put my little fan to circulate air around the pots to help evap.
Where we stand? Maria is a scarecrow and her roots are just diggin in, like a clone not quite set. I have faith, she showed growth all over this morning. Janet weathered everything better and is the bigger, more vigourous plant. Sally looks so squat and bush that I'm afraid she' IS an autoflower. If'n she don't flower in the next week, then she ain't, and she's my Afghan gal for scroggie-woggie. I FIMmed Janet and Maria a few days back, same day as repot maybe, just to stress them a max, you know. Janet, I FiMmed PERFECTLY, I gotta say. She's a load of new shoots vying for that space. Maria I did OK, too, she's just a bit lackluster in general. Not her fault of course, she had a rough start. All right, pics. Not going to FIM Sally for another week to make sure she's not auto.
That's it for the moment; they're recovering, this morning Sally looks great and Janet is starting to grow again after the repot and her soil getting dryer. Maria might turn into a Momma houseplant if she's a girl, doesn't look like she'll go under the scrog. Apparently, LED is really good for root development; more visible in DWC grows, obviously. I think in another week and with a watering, we'll see the two injured girls get vigorous again. kinda feels as if the grow can start now, after almost four weeks! Thanks everyone for your input and for moving your neurons around for these girls;) Happy healing everyone, I'm smoking some Blue Mystic. I've spent the last couple of months in permastone and this actually pierces the veil. Much love, GV

Attached Files

• teddys head, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#42 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

glad ya got things sorted GV. They look like they are ready to come on now. :) Peace, Blue
  • Greenview, teddys head and Scooby like this

#43 Scooby

Scooby

California State Certified MMJ Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

The girls are looking real good now. I'm glad they finally decided to cooperate with you. Better late than never, right? I hope you have a smoother ride for the rest of the grow. I've learned a lot from reading this journal and thank you for taking the plunge for the rest of us. Important lessons learned, for sure. Keep up the good work! -Scoob

#44 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

The girls are looking real good now. I'm glad they finally decided to cooperate with you. Better late than never, right? I hope you have a smoother ride for the rest of the grow. I've learned a lot from reading this journal and thank you for taking the plunge for the rest of us. Important lessons learned, for sure. Keep up the good work!

-Scoob

Hey, Scoob, As usual, I think I had to figure out how to cooperate with them!

The girls are good this morning, almost ready for a drinky-poo of ph'd water. Oh, and uh, does anyone know how to delete a post from one's own thread? I contacted J-angel, but is there anything I can do? Happy healing! GV
  • teddys head, sandbreak, Scooby and 1 other like this

#45 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

fixed, GV :toking: muA
  • Greenview, teddys head, Scooby and 1 other like this

#46 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

hey gv looks like things are picking up for you, even tho i love my hps those l.e.d,'s look rele cool i rele love the look wen the lights are on. hey guys cud i use an led for vegg and then use a hps for flower? doo led's make good vegg lights? thanks guys bonghead :bong:

#47 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

fixed, GV :toking:
muA

MuA, you're a lifesaver, probably literally ;) Thanks
  • teddys head, Scooby, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#48 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

hey gv looks like things are picking up for you, even tho i love my hps those l.e.d,'s look rele cool i rele love the look wen the lights are on.
hey guys cud i use an led for vegg and then use a hps for flower? doo led's make good vegg lights? thanks guys
bonghead :bong:

Hey there, bonghead;) Yeah, today they're looking badass, very happy they're making it;)

For your question, the current accepted wisdom is that most LEDs are decent to great for veg, even the cheapos. With the 3 watt diodes and intensifying lenses you've got to keep your light distance 12-24" so there's a tad little more stretch compared to 1watt diode sets you can put an inch away. Apparently, for all the testers, what really sets the LEDs apart from one another is their performance in flowering. Some do fine in veg, absolutely suck in flower and will make you sick after spending all that cash, so check out the newest generation lights, because LED manufacturers are learning REALLY fast. So far, I like the Magnum and Magnum Plus, and the Penetrator Pro X2 series from Hydrogrow, which I'm using. I think the original Magnum is a pretty good deal, the Plus version is coming out discounted right now at around 1G. There are many other manufacturers out there, but I'd go to forums and see what people are saying, and find some grows to check out on youtube with the lights you're interested in to see how they perform and all the crap the dude had to go thru;) You can check out Led Bud Guy's forum-all LED growing site.
Oh, yeah, and the problem you may have with switching lights mid-grow is that if you're in soil, you'll need 50% perlite mix and temps between 80-85 for LED growing (ask the manufacturer for your specific light), and might not be the same for your HPS.

I guess there's a ton of stuff to consider, but if you're interested in the pretty colors (that the plants dig, too), I'll just tell you I spent 600clams on a light that draws 130-150 watts, my broo; there are cheaper ways to get it!;) Have fun at any rate, and thanks for the enthusiasm! GV
  • teddys head, sandbreak, Scooby and 2 others like this

#49 Greenview

Greenview

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hiya gentle GP, GV here for CB. In case you noticed I *%°#@ed up and accidentally posted my name all over the place. In fact, this could be useful for all youse; what happened was, I wrote a long post with a lot of quotes on it, then got stoned and saved it onto a Word doc to finish later. Well, when I copy-pasted the post back in, the computer had transformed/translated the icons into the location path in my computer. I noticed and edited and reposted but it was impossible to delete the original immediately. So I just wanted to say I'm touched by any facebook friend requests, but the horrible thing is I can't integrate Greenview and my public profile as I use it almost exclusively for work, as a sort of public dude with an image etc. And while it may be no secret that I'm an MJ advocate, 99% of people don' know I grow and, well, as nice as it is to let your freak flag fly, many people have small little heads into which this information wouldn't fit. Although, it occurs to me we could exchange emails over PM? I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by not accepting friend requests. Oh, Bongead, one more thing about switching the lights mid grow is that they say, and it turns out to be SUPER true, that you will water a LOT less under LED, so there's some relearning there. I'd definitely recommend hydro or aero with these lights; the aero liking temps between 72-75 apparently, and no waiting for soil to dry and instant nute correction;) I'm looking at some aero setups now. I had no idea it was so simple (famous last words-you all see what's coming a mile away, don't you?)! Have a great day, I just realized i'm stoned as hell... nice! Didn't even expect it. Be well all, GV
  • Desiderata, teddys head, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#50 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

hey gv thanks dude wil stick with the cfl and hps for now. hey hav you ever thought about an nft hydro system they are really simple too use, as thats what im using lol i did the same thing left my name on here an then found i cud be traced through google so had to go through every post and change things lol bonghead :bong:
  • Greenview, bongbonghi, teddys head and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HGL Penetrator Pro, LED, Airpots, Soil, Closet grow, 2 x 2 grow area, Hydrogrow, Extreme LED 84 X2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users