3 replies to this topic

#1 lunnez13

lunnez13

wants to invent a new blue strain.

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi im building a new aero/fogponic system using 8 or 12" pvc and i was just wonder ing if anybody could help me out with their experience using these matirials in a system. - first i was wondering if when using pvc piping in an aeroponic setup...does the rootzone temp get affected much by the lights? - Do i need to incooperate something to controll my root zone temps inside the piping of this system? I was thinking about running a small fan on one end so it will exchange the air insde the pipes, yes no? - And lastly...Do i need to run something to feed fresh oxygen in to the pvc piping of the system or will the fact that airiated water is being misted in the pipes be enough? Also the system will be covering about 50 sq ft of space and the piping will all be conected running left to right back and forth like an "S" shape...4 rows about 10' long to be precise. Thanx for any input...all are welcome to jump in at any time while i ponder this over myself... thinking.gif
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head and Blue61 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

if you are controlling the temp of you mist or fog reservoir then the roots will be the same temp. a fan would only be of use in a fogger system to push the fog thru the PVC. if you are spraying then a fan would not be necessary. I have had my hands on a plant in a flood and drain style setup and when it flooded you could actually feel the stem change temp as the water and nutes were drawn up into the plant. So i would say the temp of the solution will effect the roots more than anything else.
  • Tokecrazy, lunnez13, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 lunnez13

lunnez13

wants to invent a new blue strain.

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

thnx papaw! Yea i might have forgot to mention it before but I will be incoorperating my foggger into to the mix so it will be aero/fog ponic or hybrid as some call it. I did my last grow with misters and fog and now I just want to do it again just bigger so I planed this little creation up. last time it was in a rubbermaid bin but the results were so impessive i dont ever want to grow without fog ever again if at all possible. Well this leads me to another Q because my fog portion of the set up is going to be a 5 gal bucket of nut solution and im gong to conect it at the higher end of the system so the fog can fill the pipe and move downward with the back fall, but as i was picturing all this i forsaw a possible problem once the pipe gets fuller and fuller of roots...the fog might not make it all the way through the system so yes I was thinking it will need a small fan to push or pull the fog through. any suggestions on where and what kind of fan i could use?? i was thinking of one of those small little 3" flat fans kindof like the ons inside of computers except i think I'll need to find one thats water/moisture proof. u know any brands that make fans for this purpose? - also is it better to push or pull the fog or does it not matter? Iwas hoping on saving some $ and just keeping the ac on on the grow room so my temps are still in the safe zone for the roots...the resivoir temp will be the same as the room temp so I dont have to worry about buying a water tempurater controller for like $300...thats what i did last time and the rootzone was the sametemps as the room temp and so was the resivoir because it was all in the same place...a fogger grow box.... - so what do you think about that stratagy for res and rootzone temps,...safe?? And this is my last though on this subject as of now...the fogger im useing is a 3 head fogger so it maks alot of fog but it also heats up the water its floatng in(i use a buye..sry spelling?)so Im putting it in a separate 5 gal bucket so it doesnt effect the resivor temps...my Q is.. -Do u think the fog coming out of my 5 gal bucket will bepushing hott air into my system and messing with my temps? I think it will be a small problem if i let the fogger run too long...I want to put it on a timer to help keep the 5gal bucket temps cooler but if i did that I would have to go and buy another $100 timer because I highly doubt that the fogger will fill up 50 ft of pipe in 2 minutes. Oh i forgot to explain..I usually run my sprayers for 2min on/5min off so they get alot of time to just sit in the fog. Last time i just hooked up the fogger and the spayers on the same schedule and timer and it wrked great but I might have to run them separately this time...I gues i might have just answered my own Q on what to do about that which is after its all built i will have to do a test run and see how long it takes for the pipeing to fill up with fog to my liking of thickness(I usually like to see the fog coming out the top of thr grow sites if I pull a net cup out) and go from there, possibly I can just run my sprayers a little longer than the 2min i am accustomed to....But other than my own answer do you have anythin to say about this situation? Is there a way Im not thinking about on how to run the fogger without over heating the air im pushing in to my system? - also what size pvc piping should I use..i want to do a growsite every 12" for a SOG style set up...I was thinking 8" pipe but realy I want to go as big as possible so the roots have as much room as they eed without over stepping my 5 ft width of space. Is 8" normal size? what do most people use for this sort of thing? Thanx for working with me here papaw! i know its alot to take in at one time but your rep points and the fact that ur a Super Admin leads me to believe that this is just good conversation to you..thnx again for ur input. P.s. if u want to see the last fog grow i did Its documented in the strain library under the letter E for "Easyryder"

Attached Files

Edited by lunnez13, 28 August 2012 - 10:57 AM.

• Tokecrazy and Blue61 like this

#4 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

i would use a small fan drawing the fog from the far end just enough to induce the flow of the fog to the end to let it have time to enrich the roots. i would keep an eye on the res temp and not let it get to warm. Throw in a frozen plastic bottle of water if it gets too warm. 8 inch should work for the PVC. I do not think the fog will hold a warm temp too long when in contact with the room air so the temp of the fog i would not worry about too much just the res.
  • Tokecrazy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oxygen, aeroponics, fog, root zone, temperature, hydro, soiless, grow, nutrients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users