#1 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

I've decided to put my 2 outdoor potted babies into the ground instead of buying new pots. They are currently in 10 gallon smart pots, and they want to stretch...Thinking of digging about 3X3' holes for them. I've only ever grown in the ground (a couple of good grows, only a few plants) I've never transplanted them this big. They are in mega-veg now, been outside since the end of May (I am in New England) They are currently 31" tall and 41" tall. Unsexed. They are both pretty female/bushy looking, the taller plant is only 32" wide, the short one is same width as height. I am on a budget, not much money to buy soil amendments. I've read a lot, and so many suggestions say to put all sorts of stuff in the hole before transplant...I just don't have the funds for blood meal, bone meal, worm castings, kelp, alfalfa, lime etc. Free access to well aged horse manure compost, I have a little lobster compost left (maybe 1/2 cu foot) a box of Bat Guano and some fish emulsion and seaweed/fish emulsion mix. I can get a couple of things if needed...but I have to get these plants in a hole asap while they are vegging. Any suggestions on what to add to soil and in what amounts to help them thrive and acclimate to their new homes? What is absolutely necessary to add to the soil mix? I was thinking of just mixing the existing soil I dig out (very sandy) with aged compost and maybe a little vermiculite. Maybe some lobster compost in the bottom of the hole for the roots to reach for? The best way to get them out of smart pots appears to be cutting the pots...which I hate to do, but I don't want to damage the plants or roots, and tipping a smart pot upside down is near to impossible. I am organic, no chem nutes. Thanks very much for any help you can offer! Still hoping for an mentor, outdoor organic grower in the Northeast. MM
  • Tokecrazy, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

WOW Sweetie..... sounds like you are doing it all right....if not the peeps will be around very soon to help you out....... ;)

My guess is you are in the right direction so just do it....Now is a really good time in their life span and ultimately you will find out that it is a weed....and it is really hard to kill!!

Good Luck and GPwelcome.gif the Place on the web....hands down!!! Peace 420
  • Tokecrazy, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#3 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I may be wrong but it seems a little late to stress them with transplanting now.I am in New England too and we are down to 14 hours of daylight.I would think they are already switching into flower mode.I am not an outside grower so I may be off base with this.Hopefully someone else will chime in about it. Peace, Blue

#4 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

They aren't flowering yet, just super veg. I can tell they really want to GROW and repotting them will be as much stress as putting them in the ground (I think) If I repot it probably should be 20 gallon smart pots, plus more good bagged soil etc...that's a big hit on the empty wallet here on the farm. Going to put them in the veggie garden near the tomato patch...hopefully good camo. I need to plant something fast growing and TALL for camo near them though. Pretty sure they will top out no higher than 4-5'. I don't even know what strain they are, bagged seed. They are still shooting out new growth and bushing out. I think they have a couple of more weeks until they flower, at least. I could be wrong...but some plants bigger than these have not flowered until mid Sept for us. These went into pots outside beginning of June or so, and were pretty small, just past seedling stage and were hardened off. They seem really hardy, and they way they are shooting out new growth I think they are still pretty much in veg mode. I don't see any signs of sex yet, so I guess that's a good sign. Thanks Blue and 420! MM
  • Tokecrazy, Itinkso, teddys head and 3 others like this

#5 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Tomato is a great crop to plant next to it.They eat pretty much the same.Makes feeding easy.That's a good point,if they haven't shown sex yet you should be fine. Peace, Blue

#6 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, we did it! My "girls" are in the ground. Hubby is convinced they are girls from their bushy behavior ;-) Put about half finished horse manure compost (aged about 3 yrs and what I use for the majority of my raised beds, almost straight) and half dirt from the ground, which is very sandy. I added a bit of bat guano (Dr. Earth) 10-3-1 and a little epsom salt and calcium chips, mixed it into the soil. Added a bit of lobter compost mixed lightly into the soil for the root balls to sit on. I had top dressed them heavily with the lobster compost a couple of weeks ago after transplant into smart pots and they LOVED it. Yellow leaves that were starting before transplant were no more, went to a deep lush green. We had to cut smart pots to get them out...the roots on the 42" plant were growing out of the bottom of the smart pot! When I transplanted about 3 weeks ago they were starting to get pretty root bound in the 5 gallon plastic pots they were in. The smart pot roots are really hairy, not bound up at all, great pots for sure. If I ever do an indoor grow I am going to use them for sure. So the plants seem really happy in their new home. They are planted a bit close for my comfort, only about 2 feet between them, but hopefully they will enjoy each other's company and show their female juiciness soon! If I end up with a male then it is getting turned into medicine...for pain and sleep...so no worries. But I have calling the Sensimilla Goddess for her energy for these girls since I planted the seeds. MM

#7 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

Plants are thriving in their holes!! Next year they are going in the ground in May for sure. Going to try to start them indoors and get them much larger before putting them out next year. Maybe put them in a mini-greenhouse outside in April with the spinach, lettuce and swiss chard. I hope we get an early spring!
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head and 420friendly like this

#8 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

:woohoo: hehehe muA
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, 420friendly and 1 other like this

#9 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

i have one plant ina 20L pot outside and im sure the roots are in the actual ground by now... i suppose its one way of doing it heheheh

#10 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

So my plants are now in the ground and going crazy in veg. I think they are showing sex, and they are girls...YIPPEEE. I'm just a bit worried that they aren't really flowering yet and it's almost Sept. At this rate I'm going to have to build a mini-greenhouse/hoop house to put over them come end of Sept. We lost a few plants a few years ago to frost...so now I am paranoid. I think I am going to need at least 6 weeks of flower (Indica dominant)...so praying they start SOON! Any suggestions are welcome! MM

#11 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

bricks piled beneath the plant will act as a heat sink and help the plants withstand frosts muA

#12 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

bricks piled beneath the plant will act as a heat sink and help the plants withstand frosts
muA

Thank you! I was thinking of putting some field stones under them, so we are on the same wavelength. Bricks might be better due to the darker color though. I have a pile laying around. I think we are going to build some sort of plastic tent for them though...seems we are in a state of panic come first frost some years...a race between the turtle (MJ) and the hare (first frosts)
Lovely New England. Would love to hear from others in this zone of the universe as to what they do to protect outdoor grows from frosts.

MM
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#13 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

good luck. from what i read in your post it looks like they were unmature for outdoor growing/planting in august.. usually try to get them in the ground by july as mature/sexed plants and theyll start flowering by mid august. depending on strain of course. sativas will strt flowering later usually. so choosing a strain for your latitude is important in outdoor growing. even within the indica range theres variations. i have the same problem with some latecomers but they are showing sex already. but im sure mine are way too late and wont make it to maturity so i pulverised the female flowers with pollen. so at least ill have seeds for next year. my other one was planted in a pot in feb/mar the roots have gone into the ground through the drain holes. it started flowering around the first week of aug. and is 2-3 weeks away from cutting depending on the weather. the point is, its a local strain so ts in sync with the location. but it was put in early so that come august it would be fully mature. like i said they should have shown sex by july. its probably an idea getting them to preflower indoors if you are gonna plant them that late??

#14 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

These were started indoors in April, outside in large pots end of May. Transplanted to smartpots (20 gallon) in July, and decided to put them in the ground 3 weeks ago. They are going crazy in veg in the ground. I think they are showing sex, but lost magnifier...I am pretty sure they are female, super bushy and I think I see female at nodes. They are bagged seed, Indica dominant. Tallest one is about 5 feet, other one is at 4 feet or so, both as wide as they are tall. We usually see flowers by end of Aug, so we are a little worried...This is only the 4th grow...it's been a couple of years. Next year I am going to start inside earlier, and maybe keep under lights 18/6 or 24hrs and then put outside in ground when danger of frost is over. For next year I am buying seed...researching now. I want a high CBD strain. I will be processing all male plants next year for meds, and plan to use all plant material from these girls for meds too, so nothing wasted. I just hope we get some bud from them this year! Thanks. MM

#15 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

HAPPY UPDATE! I just checked on the plants...hadn't been out there to really inspect them for a couple of days. This time I brought my glasses ;-) I SEE GIRLY HAIRS!! Let's hope we win the race before frosty comes to town. MM

#16 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

great! any ideas why they are coming late? could be a strain thing from what i understood in your last post...

#17 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

No idea why they are late...but hubby says in past plants have flowered close to the beginning of Sept, and I have a feeling this is some of the same seed he originally used. Pretty old seed...only 2 out of about 30 or more germinated. Luckily they were girls!!! Going to build a plastic framed hoop house for them to help with any frosty nights, combined with some heat storing jugs of water, bricks etc. I've got some massive growth going on in the past week, I just love seeing the changes everyday!. MM

#18 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

glad all's going according to plan MM Posted Image

it won't be long now smoke.gif :passit:

Health and happiness
  • Tokecrazy and Blue61 like this

#19 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hi Medicinemuse Hows it going? Sure sounds like your doing pretty good, I do hope all works out with them budding for you soon enough, This is such an exciting time of year,, Boy do I miss my out door gardens,,, Happy growing to you!!!!!! smhug.gif
  • Blue61 likes this

#20 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

The girls are really happy...spreading their wings and growing like crazy...showing their pretty girly parts more and more each day. Some of the stems are turning a pretty shade of purple and the growth since my last compost tea is just astounding. I grow organic all the way (other than Epsom salts applied once in a while) I'm building a house over them to keep them safe from frost as soon as it is predicted. Hopefully can harvest before that happens, but it's always a race in this neck of the woods! I made some meds from bud and sugar leaf and bud trim the other day...straight coconut oil extraction. I must have done something wrong as I don't feel a thing after ingesting a 1/2 teaspoon. I may have cooked too long or temps were wrong, not enough plant to oil ratio...although it measured out 10g bud and 20 g sugar trim. That should have been a good amount for 12 oz of oil, but not sure. Peace, MM
  • Blue61 likes this

#21 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

https://www.greenpas...111#entry304111 this post has the cannabinoid evap temps...find the lowest one and stay below th@... with SOME ppl....very rare IME, cannabis will seem to have absolutely NO effect the first time consumed...but a second or third attempt [NOT taking 2-3X more in one go! ...3 meals/doses! ] does work...I could spin some wildarsed idea's totally without evidence as to why it might happen this way.. :lol: but it would all be conjecture... so give it another try...the 3rd time , if no effect, try taking 2X and see.. muA
  • Blue61 and DEBhasgrn like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outdoor transplanting, organic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users