17 replies to this topic

#1 dergruene

dergruene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hello to all of you.
It is always nice to come in and share with openminded people. I was very much excited when i found this "growing with a disability" section in this forum.
Finally i found the right place.
I wanted to grow cannabis since 2009 when i came across "run from the cure". Since growing outdoors isn't an option for me due to the law here in germany i had to go for the much more difficult way of growing indoors. But i had some unresolvable issues which i couldn't ask anybody. Unfortunately the blind folks over here are like a small village and too many folks are busy with anything except their own affairs, and soon it would be Newspaper headline all over germany that the first blind grower had been busted.
So here we go. In order for me not to be busted so easily i want to be perfect from the beginning and this complicates it even more. I want to grow top quality for making the rs oil. I could experiment for a limited time so i could make my own experiences. I will point out some questions to which i couldn't find an answer no matter how hard i was trying to find one.
Equipment:
mh or natrium lamps give the highest yield but unfortunately they can explode when improperly handled. The electric circuit must be well balanced and capable of delivering such powers. This checkup could be done by an electrician but honestly whoom can i trust to install and wire the lamps and pumps? So far i haven't found any accessible ec or ph-meters or on/off timers for the pumps and lamps. I could put some braille tape on the bottles for plant nurishment and braille-tag all the clones that i am making that is no problem. I can even imagine learning how to properly produce plant cuttings for cloning. Another issue is how to determine the rihgt distance between plant top and light bulbs. They shouldn't be touched when in operation or they blow up right? So how do i save my plants from burning and maximize the harvest by not putting the bulbs to far away? are there any transparent bulb screens that can be attached to the lamps that wouldn't cost me precious lumen maybe with holes for the heat to be caried away?
Plants and soil
But if i wanted to start from seed i have another issue in determining the plants sex. Sighted people use a microscope, so it obviously isn't a thing that could be found out by simply touching the plants. and if it is visible by touching it might be to late and i am even helping the male plants pollinate the females right?
Ok, i could grow in soil, this is more forgiving regarding nutrient deficiencies. But anyway, the plant shows only in colour if something's missing, and if the leaves start to get lush or start rolling at their edges it might be to late. And how the heck am i going to find out what exactly is missing, since this is also only shown by the typical colouring if the plant is lacking potassium or phosphorate.
Well and then . If i run into trouble having bugs or mites which no one is totally safe from i think when i start noticing it, everything could go to the trash. I cannot possibly touch every single leaf since it would mean more stress and less harvest for the plant.
So anybody out there who could help me with my issues? I think the right planning in the beginning would save me lot of headaches afterwards. But i am somewhat desillusioned by this many stumbling blocks that are in front of me. Honestly i fear i might never be able to grow my own. This would be sad indeed.
Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out.

• Lucky_Cat, Blue61 and Bong like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hiya Degruene, great post and very informative, this may not be the news you want to hear but the best advice I can give you is to enlist a helper, especially when it comes to sexing the plants, Not saying it would be impossible, but you certainly have to take on board what could be life threatening dangers, as a visually impaired person can quite easily knock something and not be aware which could lead to all sorts of scenario's, I think getting a "helper" in is a must, especially starting off and maybe down the line you will become more and more profecient, if you was my neighbour I would be in there helping you out, and would like to think you have people in your circles who you can trust enough to get going. Having been a volunteer at the Cardiff Institute for the Blind, I am well aware of what visually impaired peeps are capable of all some here may be surprised to hear that some blind peeps get to fly aeroplanes, jump out of them too LOL, but the growing under lights just has alarm bells ringing in my head, would hate for you to be the 1st blind person to be found dead whilst attempting to grow cannabis.... find a helper, which is easier said than done is the best help I can give and who knows down the line you may have it bang off. Hope this is of some help, tis a toughie for sure and immediate thought is to grow outdoors, where the dangers are so greatly reduced, but indoors under HID lamps without a helper I am afraid sounds too risky, I never leave my lights on when not in the house, I know I could and odds are everything will be ok, but I just like to be able to respond should something happen, fortunately for me there is always someone in my home, so the lights only get turned off on rare occassions, even if the house is empty for just an hour. Good luck on this one and hope you can find someone suitable to start you off. :) LC.
  • Blue61 and Bong like this

#3 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

wish I had words of wisdom for you...... do you think it can be done safely without a helper? I don't know what your limitations are, do you have any vision at all? I think LC may be right, so many things could go wrong and you could get hurt. /but will wait to see if anyone else has suggestions...... a helper would certainly be the first choice, but if that is putting you in a situation to be exposed to the po po then that is not good either. Do you have any family that could help you out? smhug.gif
  • HD96, Blue61 and Bong like this

#4 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

sorry for butting in dude i cant offer any help jus want to wish u all the best in ur efforts, i agree with the gp peeps tho dude this stuff can be difficult enough with full sight, a helper wud be fantastic for things like mites because they are so small and normally hide on the underside of the leaves. i dont mean to try and put u off dude i hope u do it because the isnt a better feelin than snapping a bud that u have grown urself. best of luck dude and good karma on u to. bonghead
  • Blue61 likes this

#5 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

DG...if ya can use a digital camera to take pics of ya plants WE can help determine if they are female...it is a most difficult pickle to not be able to see the plants... thinking.gif....this poses a thorny problem...hmmm Short of growing femmed beans or clones...hmmm muA
  • HD96, Blue61, Bong and 1 other like this

#6 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

hi Dg! welcome to gardening! hope you enjoy the new hobby! keep it simple! starting out with a complex setup makes it all the harder. go to "the Dam" and get you a clone, stick in a pot and grow it. if you can get that done..... well i bet there is no stopping you then.... walk before you run

#7 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

A couple things come to mind.You could grow femmed seeds,so no worry on sexing.You can take pictures and we can tell you if your plants need something.Also you just have to put the back of your hand under the light and if you can hold it there for 30 seconds without being to hot for your hand then it is at the right height for your plants.Those are a few ideas.Will think more on it.Good luck. Peace, Blue
  • HD96 and Bong like this

#8 dergruene

dergruene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hello again. Sorry if the formatting is so screwed up, but this is how i can get my screen reader to work with the rich text Editor here. You all have made some interessting points. I had several ideas. First i wanted to start a mini-grow, as one of you said already: "walk before i run". Then afterwards i thought of using a technique explained in some Videos from some guy called Hans. I think these films are called "sea of green". He explains to make cuttings of every plant while they're in growt and let these cuttings develop and then bring these little cuttings into blooming while the original plants are still in growt. Ok, i must keep track of which cutting i have taken from which plant, but in this way the plant sex becomes apparent and there should not be any mistaking even without sight at all. For measuring ec and ph values and even the distance between plants and lamps i can use several sensors and stuff which i can connect via a special circuit board to any computer. There is even some guy in germany here which i found who wants to use the computer for automating any processes in growing as much as possible and tightening the control and influencing any parameters from the desktop. Ok, i am not saved from bugs or in case the software is so screwed up that i might end up like knights kcapital, who thougth everything goes just fine with their new trading software, before they under total shock found out otherwise. Ok, and hanging the grow room full of cameras and sharing the pics live through an vpn channel to select trusted members should be possible. I could even use an iphone to control the technical side of growing, since these units have become mazingly accessible with their voiceover, but honestly i don't wanna get busted by apple. :-) Have all a nice day, and share what you think.

#9 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

hey durg auto flowers mite be a good way to go for you they are nice and small no different light cycle's and you could get femmed autos that way u dont have to sex them i havent tried them yet but i hear good things about some of the new ones, i suppose that would help u a great deal. the green passion peeps wil help you millions here dude what ever your problems best of luck durg. bonghead
  • HD96 and Blue61 like this

#10 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

oh dude about your iphone be carful while taking pics with it because of the gps signal it records your location and tags it on to ur pics which isnt good if its illegal in germany. forgot to mention that dude peace. bonghead
  • Old Guy, HD96 and Blue61 like this

#11 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

We,meaning Green Passion strip out the ip address and all the other info before posting.You can also strip it out yourself on your computer. Peace, Blue
  • HD96 and Bong like this

#12 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2250 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

didnt know that blue good to know :) bonghead
  • HD96 and Blue61 like this

#13 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

DG...wh@ method do you think ya gonna go for growing?...soil?....hydro? both can be set to be monitored for environmental conditions from a computer... muA

#14 dergruene

dergruene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I think first i'm going tto grow in soil and when this works fine i can go for hydro or aeroponics later.

#15 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

cool...check out subcool's supersoil mix.... muA

#16 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

D...check this out..
http://www.practical...ech-synthesizer
http://www.speakjet.com/
http://blog.makezine...shield-for-ard/

there are quite a few arduino growing related boards available...for everything, even connecting to a computer....add in the vocal ability and you could potentially have ph ec temp and rh probes th@ can be 'listened to' ...th@ speak the reading...and even fully automate the setup!
:D
muA
Attached File  137-501-1-PB.pdf   74.86KB   0 downloads
  • Blue61 likes this

#17 dergruene

dergruene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hello to all,

Back again and still interessted in growing. Over there at grower.ch there's one guy called blindgrow who got ahead of me and has already his grow underway. I heard he uses led-lamps 6 indica/ruderalis with autoflowering capabilities i suppose, but iam not sure since haven't read the whole thread over there. For folks who can get along with german here's the url.

https://www.grower.c...auf-erde.74770/

This guy has my full admiration, since he made true what i always and for very long have been dreaming of. At least his led-lamps won't turn so hot, and he will not fear any fire. Do you know of any video conferencing software which can be operated through vpn's? I think the nsa isn't interessted in busting pot growers, i think their business is getting us economy ahead of all state economies by spying upon all new industrial developments and saving Us-Companies development costs right?

Lately lots of stuff happened which made me a little depart from my growing dreams, but more on this later.

Gotta pick my gf up, when she arrives with the bus home.

• Turf, KnuckleDragger and CrazyDave like this

#18 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

welcome back!

i remember your post from years ago and anxious to hear your story.

maybe a computer geek knows of some software

• CrazyDave likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannabis, indoors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users