Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Organic Nft Growing (Comments And Input Welcomed)

Organic Hydroponic NFT BioBizz DIY system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hey friends and folks, as the title tells this will be a little thread on organic hydroponic, especially on organic NFT growing.

Currently I only grow my vegies in the system but the jump from tomatoes and such to cannabis ain't to far fetched. So please don't be to disapointed we me as I currently can only show you some vegies growing there.

The base to my system is a 600l tank that is build into the wooden frame of it, its a simple construcktion made from pool liner and construction lumber that holding itself. So it takes no skill to build such a tank, just a couple minutes to get it a pulled into position and the rest is done by the pressure of the filling water.

The frame is build from cheap construction lumber and support timber, treated with wood primer and two layers of white wood gloss to prevent it from rooting. Gloss and primer probably costed me more then all the wood for the construction.

The NFT system itself is constructed from waste water drain pipe in 160mm diameter, so a form or selfsealing PVC pipe that pretty common in Europe. I used 4 x 86° elbow pieces, 3 x 2m pipes, 2 end caps, one T-piece with 120mm reduction, one 120mm elbow piece as flow level adjuster and one sleeve piece to fit one end cap on the T-piece. The nutrient solution is injected thru a water hose nipple fitting for rain barrels that is fitted thru the front end cap of the system.

The holes for the put been cut with a 76mm holesaw with an foot inbetween each hole. Last season I used 80mm net pots and hydro clay as grow medium, this season I grow straight in the pots from the plant nursery, so soil mix filled 80 pots. I know it sounds lazy, and I was a bit lazy as this spring was to socked and cold to get me into the right gardening mood - yet it is working well for me so why going thru the hassle to repot into hydro clay?

I pump the nutrient solution with an 600l/h pump [actually a tiny cheap pond pump] into the system and let gravity run it thru, the frame is constructed with a 3% drop for that purpose.
In order to keep the solution stable I aired it with 400l/h air pump and 6 large bubble stones.

As nutrients I relay as so often on the usual BioBizz stuff, so Grow and Fish mix mainly and some Flower mix to top it off.

So for all that familiar with the publications of BioBizz in regard to hydroponic use of their producs - forget anything you have read from them, it total junk and I guess they never really tested it out or only in why too small DWC units, otherwise I can't explain the mambo jumbo in their publications!

So, what I do goes straight into the opposite direction to what they advise - I never change my solutions thru the growing season. They tell you that you can only substain the solution for 2-4 days! shrugsmiley.gif From my little experience is this bogus - properly aerated it is stable till kingdom comes or your plants have sucked your tank bone dry.
I only top off the tank every week with fresh tap water [hard water with an EC of .65mS/pH 7.35] till the desired level is reached again and then readjust the the EC with Grow & Fish-Mix untill the EC mark is hit and then adjust the pH with phosporic acid. The pH is usually stable till the next fill - guess that is due to the 600l volume of the tank as the older setup with a 300l tank wasn't so dead stable yet by far not as jumpy as a 5gal based DWC setup.
On the EC level, last season I used an EC of 0.90 to ~1.20mS but this might been already a bit too much for the tomatoes as they start to show signs of nutriends deficiencies as EC burns, brown spots of Phosphorus and redish spots you get from Magnesium. The physalis that been grow alongside didn't show such marks so I been just on the veruge with my solution last season.
So for this season I started with a lower EC of only .70mS and won't cross the .90mS on purpose to keep my tomatoes in a healthy shape.
The pH is kept in the usual range so 5.8 to 6.2 - the is no good reason for me to mess with these standard values - at least from my experience.

So, I guess that the point where I should head down to my greenhouse to snap you guys and gals some pictures of the entire setup - so feel free comment away on my post till I'm back with some updates.

Peace
  • Tokecrazy likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

:D cool, green! looking forward to pics hehehe muA
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#3 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

If your successfully growing tomatoes hemp will be easy, even the nute ratio's are about the same. Should be a good grow.

#4 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks - but the pics got to wait Med, my cams are on the run tonight and I don't want to use my cell's cam. Got to head back to office tomorrow or wait till sunday for my other digi cam... sorry ;) Knock - on the tomatoes, I know they tend to be more picky with nutrients and EC values then most cannabis strains. That is why I grow several strains of tomatoes alongside in the pipes as well as bell peppers and physalis - I just love to play around with plants ;) Eh - since your down in Texas, how bad is your fever for archery and hogs?

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Archery I'm not too big about but I've hunted hogs in TX,AR, and LA though you gotta Pit BBQ them tough suckers for about 12+ hours :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Organic, Hydroponic, NFT, BioBizz, DIY system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users