22 replies to this topic

#1 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Lets face it....sometimes one has no cannabis and has to get by with pain, discomfort and health problems.

Here is wh@ I hope will grow into a useful thread...
Please contribute if you can.
We can share our hints and tips and methods for getting by.

I'll start the ball rolling.

I suffer from a small cocktail of ailments, including an almost permanent ache and pain in my bones, osteo-arthritic pains and both shoulders have so regularly dislocated over the years I can put them back with reasonable competency...as I currently cannot get coconut oil to make rootbalm [got lots of roots stored :D hehhehehe], I am using other methods to get by.
Here is a product I am using...it is a eucalyptus spray
hehehehe almost all Ozzies get exposure to this wonderful product as a child...@ least they did in MY generation hehehe [oh, fek!....does th@ comment mean I am officially 'OLD'! :o muhahhaaha] ...it cleans almost anything from tar on the car, marks and stains, removes chewing gum from cloth and hair, treats cuts, stings, bruises, aches, pains, colds, and pimples :D hehehe, it's possibly the ONE product in and of Australia th@ I would put in the SAME CLASS as cannabis as a macro panacea a plant th@ yields a product th@ has many and varied uses.

Bottles of it are available in all pharmacy's and most supermarkets here...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image as ya can see...there are many brands and types around... :D hehehe..
I spray all ma joints and muscles after a hot bath...excepting delicate areas...the backside, groin, face, inner elbows and backs of knee's....the rest of ma body cops a good spray :D hehehe ...one can also rub it on straight from the bottle, but I like the spray, because it can reach my back with little effort :P hehehe...for self application a spray is great...
It can also be used as a bath oil, an inhalant for congestion, a fly repellant, hehehe many uses...go google em :D hehehe

2 Uses
2.1 Medicinal and antiseptic
2.2 Repellent and biopesticide
2.3 Flavouring
2.4 Fragrance
2.5 Industrial

Safety and toxicity

If consumed internally at low dosage as a flavouring component or in pharmaceutical products at the recommended rate, cineole based 'oil of eucalyptus' is safe for adults. However, systemic toxicity can result from ingestion or topical application at higher than recommended doses.[16]

The probable lethal dose of pure eucalyptus oil for an adult is in the range of 0.05 mL to 0.5 mL/per kg of body weight.[17] Because of their high body surface area to mass ratio, children are more vulnerable to poisons absorbed transdermally. Severe poisoning has occurred in children after ingestion of 4 mL to 5 mL of eucalyptus oil.[18][19]

from wikipedia

muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 7 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Interesting question for me Medi, I hadn't thought about it until now... I am not sure I know the answer to this,, You see,,, Up until recently I was medicating the pain with those lovely addicting opiates. That and when I had mj is what took care of everything,,, I don't have the pills anymore and I am not sorry for that at all, not even when I am in pain, Oh I think about those dam pills but not enough to want to go back to living with them.. I have been blessed with enough mj since ditching the pills but, I too think of the day when I might not have any to medicate with... For my fibromyalgia, no matter how weak or sore I am at times, The only thing I know to do is get out and walk, It does help a bit if I keep up with the walks, I also try to keep my body cold, The heat makes it much worse... When my back is really bad I will need to figure out what to do now, I use a heating pad and would like to check out teddy's Relief Packs,, ... I am sure of getting the info I need from this thread, I shouldn't wait to answer this question until I am at my worst of pain should I,, Great stuff Medi smhug.gif
  • Itinkso, teddys head, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#3 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Up until recently I was medicating the pain with those lovely addicting opiates. That and when I had mj is what took care of everything,,, I don't have the pills anymore and I am not sorry for that at all, not even when I am in pain,

Can't stand the way those pills make me feel. Not sure how to say this delicately, but they make my dick soft.

If I ran out of MJ, I suspect I'd be really unpleasant to be around. As for natural healing, like Deb said, exercise is really good for us.
  • Itinkso, teddys head, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#4 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Th@ wheat bags a good one, Teddy...got some O them as well...can also chill em in the freezer to use as a cool pack! :D hehehe...My grandma would take a pair of socks, put one inside the other and then fill with salt, tie it off and heat it on a pan as a heatbag...also microwaveable hehehe...one of the old fashioned DIY heatpacks :D hehehe...one could do the same with whole wheat grains too methinks... Debs...kudos, lass....gettin' offa the heavy stuff is a herculean task in and of itself....I hear you on the heat thing...ms sufferers really should NOT be having hot baths...I hafta weigh the pro's and con's @ the time....hot bath leaves me drained, but in winter it is doable. Ma inner thermostat is off kilter and I can sweat in winter and shiver in summer...bah! :P Eucalyptus as a spray is chilly and not as warming as sommat like deep heat or tiger balm....nor as overpowering in it's scent...and absorbs really fast!. no oily stains either... :D always a good thing!....might actually removes some stains...it is also a stain remover :D hehehe Garage...I too feel I am releasing ma inner ogre when without cannabis and in pain....feel ya there in ma bones, so to speak. muA
  • Itinkso, teddys head, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#5 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I never did at all like that deep heat or any of the others related to it,, I hate to use anything unless it is more of a natural thing,,, I used to make rice packs for my patients,, Take two soxs, put them inside each other, fill it up a bit with rice and heat it in microwave and your good to go,,, smhug.gif
  • bongbonghi, Graywolf, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#6 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Great tip, debs!
:D

Liquorice 1 2 is another good product...I prefer a soft Liquorice.
Many medications cause bowel problems...many illnesses do too...and this is a great natural laxative...eases the problems of shedding ones bowel lining.

with soft licorice if one dislikes it's taste or texture, you can cut it into capsule sized pieces and swallow em with some water, avoiding the taste.

muA
  • Graywolf, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

#7 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I never did at all like that deep heat or any of the others related to it,, I hate to use anything unless it is more of a natural thing,,,

I used to make rice packs for my patients,, Take two soxs, put them inside each other, fill it up a bit with rice and heat it in microwave and your good to go,,, smhug.gif

Great tip, debs!
:D

Liquorice 1 2 is another good product...I prefer a soft Liquorice.
Many medications cause bowel problems...many illnesses do too...and this is a great natural laxative...eases the problems of shedding ones bowel lining.

with soft licorice if one dislikes it's taste or texture, you can cut it into capsule sized pieces and swallow em with some water, avoiding the taste.

muA

I make jersey rice bags and microwave them for my neck and shoulders. It works well!

Good idea on the licorice. It sounded so good, that I just some!

Apple cider vinegar has a long list of salubrious qualities too.

A Few Benefits of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in 4 ounces of purified water after a meal has been used as a naturalremedy for heartburn and as a replacement for toxic heartburn medications.
  • Raw Apple Cider Vinegar may help improve bowel irregularity, thereby removing toxins from the body at a faster rate.
  • Helps clear up skin conditions and blemishes giving a smoother texture and complexion.
  • Raw Apple Cider vinegar may also help with joint pain and stiffness.
  • Apple Cider Vinegar helps to break down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them. For this reason, many diets include ACV in their regimen.
  • On a small scale, ACV was studied by researchers at Arizona State University. The preliminary study was published in the Diabetes Care journal. It reported that ACV helps reduce levels of glucose.

Raw organic apple cider vinegar is even good for pets. It has been used to help control fleas and even promotes a healthy shiny coat.

Taken from:http://www.globalhea...-cider-vinegar/

• Itinkso, teddys head, PoeticLife and 7 others like this

#8 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thank you Graywolf,,, I'm definitely get some Raw Apple Cider,, I could use it for most all you point out there,,, smhug.gif
  • Itinkso, teddys head, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#9 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks GW :D hehehe...I use apple cider vinegar as a topical for deep bruising...ya know, the bruising th@ can take months to reach full black colour and then more months to gradually fade to yellow?....ACV brings out the bruising within days and it begins to fade really fast after th@. Keep em coming, GPeeps! .. hehehe muA
  • Itinkso, teddys head, PoeticLife and 4 others like this

#10 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

when we lived back east the fields arround us used by the farmers would leave lot's of corn that the picker missed and they don't come back and pick it up off the ground, i got lots of corn this way and feed my chickens and hogs and never had to put a dime out for food for them, it was so cool. But mama made cotton bags with the field corn sewn inside, (you MUST also totally dehydrate the corn) and you can freeze it, microwave it and it works very well just not an hour or anything like that. If you have to rotate for therapy, make one for each and you can rotate them, works great too. You can also make medicinal pillows with aromatic herbs enclosed, Like a potpourri thingy (thank God for spell check =)!! or poultice thingys. Heat them up gently and let it sit on your chest to breathe to in the vapors or some you can lay on certain locations to take care of different ailments. You'd have to Google the latter. i've said enuff, so i'll shut up now
  • Itinkso, sandbreak, 420friendly and 2 others like this

#11 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

Teatree Oil

yet another Ozzie product th@ really has many uses.

Tea tree oil, or melaleuca oil, is a pale yellow colour to nearly colorless and clear essential oil with a fresh camphoraceous odor.[1] It is taken from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia, which is native to the northeast coast of New South Wales, Australia.
The indigenous Bundjalung people of eastern Australia use “tea trees” as a traditional medicine by inhaling the oils from the crushed leaves to treat coughs and colds. They also sprinkle leaves on wounds, after which a poultice is applied. In addition, tea tree leaves are soaked to make an infusion to treat sore throats or skin ailments.[2][3]

Use of the oil itself, as opposed to the unextracted plant material, did not become common practice until researcher Arthur Penfold published the first reports of its antimicrobial activity in a series of papers in the 1920s and 1930s. In evaluating the antimicrobial activity of M. alternifolia, tea tree oil was rated as 11 times more active than phenol.
Some sources suggest beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiviral,[7] antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. It also has beneficial cosmetic properties.[8]

Tea tree oil is active against Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA.[9] Tea tree oil is less successful for application in the nose.[10] Also, there is clinical evidence that topical dermatological preparations containing tea tree oil may be more effective than conventional antibiotics in preventing transmission of CA-MRSA.[11]

Recent studies support a role for the topical application of tea tree oil in skin care and for the treatment of various diseases and conditions. Tea tree oil appears to be effective against bacteria, viruses, fungal infections, mites such as scabies, and lice such as head lice. A 2008 study of in vitro toxicity showed a tea tree oil preparation was more effective against head lice than permethrin, a popular pharmaceutical remedy.[12]

In the treatment of moderate common acne, topical application of 5% tea tree oil has shown an effect comparable to 5% benzoyl peroxide. Albeit with slower onset of action, patients who use tea tree oil experience fewer side effects than those that use benzoyl peroxide treatments. [13]

Tea tree oil is a known antifungal agent, effective in vitro against multiple dermatophytes found on the skin.[14] In vivo, shampoo with 5% tea tree oil has been shown to be an effective treatment for dandruff due to its ability to treat Malassezia furfur, the most common cause of the condition.[15]

One clinical study found that 100% tea tree oil administered topically, combined with debridement, was comparable to clotrimazole in effectiveness against onychomycosis, the most frequent cause of nail disease.[16]

The effectiveness of topical tea tree oil preparations for the treatment of the yeast infection Candidiasis is supported by its ability to kill Candida in vitro.[17]

There is some very limited research that has shown that tea tree oil may have topical antiviral activity, especially against the herpes virus (cold sores), chicken pox, shingles, blisters, etc.[18]

One study has shown a 5% tea tree oil solution to be more effective than commercial medications against the scabies mite in an in vitro situation.[19]

This is just a cutNpaste job...I will expand on it @ a later date.
muA
  • Itinkso, 420friendly, kittypup and 1 other like this

#12 legalizeit

legalizeit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

nice thread im a nerd for neem, and tea tree , didnt know bout the eucalyptus oils uses .... +_rep
  • 420friendly likes this

#13 Mellowsailor

Mellowsailor

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAfloat

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Great thread! I'll toss in my little advice on getting by w/o mmj - if needed. As a sufferer of severe, daily intestinal and digestive issues I always keep a box of baking soda nearby. If I am suffering from heartburn (mine is paralyzingly painful) I can take two teaspoons mixed with a glass of water and it stops it in its tracks. If my stomach is upset from certain foods (spices, etc.) a little baking soda in water cools the belly. It makes you belch as well...big ones, so watch out right after you drink it. It's high in sodium, so watch your intake, but in small amounts it soothes heartburn quicker than any other product I've found. It's also a great cleaner (mixed with white vinegar) for counters, etc. Sooth your symptoms and clean your kitchen all at once. NOTE: Arm & Hammer is the most popular baking soda out there, but the company tests on animals and their parent company, Church & Dwight, is NOT a friend of the environment, so I would suggest Bob's Red Mill baking soda or an another alternative.
  • PoeticLife, 420friendly and DEBhasgrn like this

#14 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

bump chewiegif muA
  • PoeticLife and 420friendly like this

#15 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hot Baths, Heat and Ice therapy and Big Deep Breaths mixed with a Flood of Prayers flyingsmiley.gif
  • Bong likes this

#16 antoniustigris

antoniustigris

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLoveland, Colorado

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

"When my back is really bad I will need to figure out what to do now, I use a heating pad and would like to check out teddy's Relief Packs ~ Still Searching I use 5.5 to 6 gms of Fish Oil per day with 4500 mg each of Glucosamine and MSM, 1 gm Turmeric per day (raises your oxalate level tho'), 10,000 IU of Vit D 4 days a week, 1 capsule ea day of Swanson's HiActives Tart Cherry Extract 25:1 Concentrate, 2400 mg of Boswellia (Indian Frankincense or Salai) ea day. Beware tho' the use of these even with meals, you may have to add some probiotics and of course as with all supplements it's best to check with your doctor if you have one (in America, not everyone does!) antoniustigris

Edited by antoniustigris, 06 December 2012 - 03:15 PM.

• DEBhasgrn likes this

#17 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

The thought of not having MJ for my ailments is not a good one, I no longer use the poisonous opiates for my daily pain, I ditched those things this past year I am happy to say!! One of my physical conditions is fibromyalgia, The MJ is a blessing in so many ways but, there are times were even that does little for the pain and weakness,, So what I have found to be the best pain relief from the fibro is Walking,, No matter how bad off I am, I will force myself to take as much of a walk as I can, I might have to stop and rest for just one minute to ease the pain and weakness and I might walk slow on those days but I know, no matter how much it hurts, if I push myself and work those muscles for a while, I know that when I do get back home and I calmly sit, after some minutes the pain starts to drift away, So that is my way of dealing with a fibro flare up,,,,,, Someone earlier said they use baking soda for heart burn, I can get heart burn pretty bad, I will get out the vinegar, I will take two tiny sips all at the same time and swallow it,, For me the vinegar going down is like taking a shot of whiskey, It burns all the way down lol but the results are amazing,, Within seconds the vinegar burning and the heart burn are completely gone, and I mean completely gone,,, Well that's all I have for right now, If I think of something else I will share,,,
  • Zoot likes this

#18 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

bicab of soda is the active component of baking powder th@ settles the stomach :) teaspoon or 2 in 1/2 glass of warm water will ease much....be SURE to have a camera onhand to capture the grimace :D muhahaha muA
  • Zoot and EektheGrey like this

#19 Inee

Inee

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationOn the edge.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I just remind myself how much better it is than running out of morphine when "physically dependent" :/ that and ice packs get me through. Totally dumped the morphine back in 2005 and dumped the doctor that went along with and lost the extra tonnage the morphine put on. Don't think my guts have ever gotten over it. Opiates bad bad medicine for this one.
  • PoeticLife, sandbreak and DEBhasgrn like this

#20 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

"Hot" showers.... when ya can get past the "getting there part" always help the joint pain and fibro... but ya can only stay in the shower for so long!!! lol

:::other than that.. if out of mmj... I always make sure I have oil to get me thru the worst of it..... straight under the tongue or mixed in warm cereal..... if out of oil? I'd freaking panic!::::

Hugs all around!
  • sandbreak and Bong like this

#21 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I place milkcrate in the shower to sit on....helps greatly... leafoil can be extracted from leaf put aside... muA
  • PoeticLife, Mellowsailor and Bong like this

#22 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I place milkcrate in the shower to sit on....helps greatly...

leafoil can be extracted from leaf put aside...
muA

lol.... I got a seat for sure.. nice for us that wobble and lean! don't think I'd want the milk crate butt imprint on my tush though lolol

still have to try the oil topically and then a hot shower.... would think it will absorb and penetrate much better when joint pain is at a high.

thanks medi

#23 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

heheh...oh so familiar with th@ gridbutt experience :lol: ...folded towel solves th@ :D heeheh Fiona and Eek made a cannabath fizzy...might be worth a try, eh? muA
  • PoeticLife likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users