• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Greetings all. I've been growing for about a year and a half, and I'm still trying to learn all the ins & outs. I've seen this before on my girls, but never thought much of it. I sent somebody a pic of one of them and they said it was a hermaphrodite. I see these balls develop often, but have really never encountered any seeds or anything in my crops, so not sure. They have pistils growing out of them, so that's why I've never really been concerned, but maybe I should be? Also, will these infect all of my other plants? If so, what should I do? Just wipe them all out and start again from scratch? Can somebody clarify this? Thanks for your time.

Attached Files

• Tokecrazy, I8ntLucky_UR, plant boy and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

those are flower seed pods...but as to if there are seeds in them?...I don't know....in essence I think they are just a single flower....most buds are a conglomeration of small flowers. muA
  • Tokecrazy, I8ntLucky_UR, plant boy and 7 others like this

#3 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Here's another pic of the tops. There are some yellow, banana looking things coming off the tops of the buds as well. My buddy was saying that they were herming out.

Attached Files

• I8ntLucky_UR, plant boy, Itinkso and 6 others like this

#4 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yep...those yellow looking nana things do look like hermi male flowers... muA

#5 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

Any recommendation what should I do? I think it may be too late for all of the plants in there. IDK. That's what I'm trying to figure out at this point, basically trying assess the damage. They'll infect the rest of the plants, correct? Cold part about it is I have more clones ready to go in, but that's probably not a good idea, right? I'm wondering if I should trash the ones in flower room, clean it up and put new girls in. Or should I trash my ready to flower clones, wait for the big ones to finish in 3-5wks, then clean it up, then put the new baby clones that I have in there. Decisions, decisions.

#6 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Plucking them [the male flowers] daily with tweezers is an ad hoc, on the run solution, but ya still run the risk of missing some... Ya could yank em now and make oil from the plant... ya could let it go and deal with seeded bud... if ya clones are from the same gals, ya run a risk of hermies again if it's a genetic thing...if the hermies are from stress or light leak the clones might run ok... muA

#7 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hey It's like Medi said it was stressed and that's what cause the hermie to happen.Some strains are more prone to herm then others. I have stressed plants before and that's why I had hermies.The seeds from that plant will grow hermie too. The Clones that you took probably not herm ,But it carrys the herm trade. Take a clone and flower it and you will see if it herms.If it does then they all will herm. The plant that herm will give you good smoke but it will have seeds in it too.I had one I stressed to much and it herm on me, I took the buds and smoked them they were good. Yes that's a hermie you have there. Peace
  • I8ntLucky_UR, plant boy, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#8 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationGreat Lakes Region

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Or you can go with some Dutch Master Reverse.

"

Dutch Master Reverse is a ready to use (no dilution required) foliar spray that quickly and efficiently brings peace to a grower's worst nightmare... awful seed problems! Fix it simply and quickly (as little as 2 sprays) with this unique formulation of specialty minerals & amino acids.

Modern Science allows Reverse to achieve this remarkable feat by channeling selected minerals and amino acids into the Mesophyll layer of the plant. This layer is responsible for most of a plants energy production (Photosynthesis) and more importantly is the starting point of all the metabolic pathways.

Simply put, the selected minerals and amino acids in this product assist the plant in channeling the correct metabolites in the pathways responsible for flowering, correcting any imbalances like the one that causes hermaphrodism (male flowers)."

That's my two cents...

• plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 3 others like this

#9 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1876 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

As others said, yes it is a herm, and yes it may cause seeds. I would be less quick to jump to the thought that the seeds will grow herms though. Seeds from self pollinated herms are female seeds. They may or may not be more genetically likely to grow into herms, it depends on the reason for them going in the first place. If they hermed only due to stress then the seeds will be no more likely to herm than any other female seeds. If they are from a strain prone to herming, then the seeds will grow plants prone to herming. I've used seeds from herms many times quite successfully. As Zoot wrote, many folks swear by a chemical solution. I've heard good things about it, but never tried it myself.

#10 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

That plant is definitely herm'd. If it was mine, I would cut it immediately. That plant is throwing off pollen and if there are other plants around it, they will get pollinated. It happens. The bud will be fine.

#11 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info everybody!
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

#12 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

The Dutch Master Reverse sounds pretty promising and has some great reviews. Do any of you have any real experience in using it successfully? Sounds like a great way for me to save everything without having to wipe out a crop.
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

#13 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

same here...have heard of it, but not used it...nor can I recall any GPeep using it during a grow-thread muA
  • plant boy, Zoot, HD96 and 2 others like this

#14 riverbanks

riverbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe north

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

In Ed Rosenthal's book and other sources I've read that the male buds that come out at the end of blooming and are on the blooms have no pollen and are not considered hermies. I don't know but I would like to know for sure if that's true. Thanks
  • plant boy, Zoot, HD96 and 1 other like this

#15 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have no idea on this Riverbanks.Hopefully someone will chime in on this so we both will know. Peace, Blue
  • plant boy, Zoot and HD96 like this

#16 riverbanks

riverbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe north

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

The Dutch Master Reverse sounds pretty promising and has some great reviews. Do any of you have any real experience in using it successfully? Sounds like a great way for me to save everything without having to wipe out a crop.

I have used it. It might have helped but it didn't cure the problem. If the bananas on the top mean a hermie which I have on a couple of mine. It didn't work. It also looks like I have immature seeds. I did not use the wetting agent that they recommend with the product because the shop owner didn't think it was totally necessary. I guess I wouldn't depend on it %100. Sorry I didn't have better news.
  • plant boy, Zoot, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#17 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Tell you all what I am going to do. I just discovered that I have two early mid-bloom hermaph's on my hands, so, I am going to go & get me some Dutch Master Reverse use it & report back. The ladies affected are Cali Connection's - Sunset Limited. One in a 3gal pot & the other one in a 5gal. I believe that I caused the stress by doing a super crop 21 days into bloom, that was 3 days ago & I found the nanners last night. It just must have been to much for their candy asses to take at that point. Also, they had 45 days veg before bloom, just so we all know. More to come.
  • plant boy and Blue61 like this

#18 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Alright, here we go.

First off the Dutch Master Reverse:

Attached File  IMG_1098.JPG   204.49KB   4 downloads Attached File  IMG_1100.JPG   266.13KB   13 downloads

The two plants with the problem:

Attached File  IMG_1092.JPG   213KB   22 downloads Attached File  IMG_1093.JPG   235.63KB   31 downloads

The nanners:

Attached File  IMG_1096.JPG   167.54KB   23 downloads

Ok, I took the two out of the tent & sprayed them to the point they were dripping.I did not use the saturate because of the how little is used. It was only 10ml to a liter of Reverse, I am not wasting $30 for that little bit to mix in. What would I do with the rest? Anyway I will respray in 10 days & I should be done, if not these two will be put outside to finish.

• plant boy, teddys head, kittypup and 2 others like this

#19 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

1 drop of dish detergent in a liter will work as a wetting agent. Peace, Blue
  • plant boy, teddys head, Zoot and 2 others like this

#20 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18521 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

i.ve run two clones,,,,one i pollenated and the other not . i find that the girls that get a little pollen seam to finich off better . it is the ultimate in the female cycle. but just a little pollen or she will use all her energy to produce seed rather than crystal
  • teddys head, Zoot, kittypup and 2 others like this

#21 riverbanks

riverbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe north

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Alright, here we go.

First off the Dutch Master Reverse:

Attached File  IMG_1098.JPG   204.49KB   4 downloads Attached File  IMG_1100.JPG   266.13KB   13 downloads

The two plants with the problem:

Attached File  IMG_1092.JPG   213KB   22 downloads Attached File  IMG_1093.JPG   235.63KB   31 downloads

The nanners:

Attached File  IMG_1096.JPG   167.54KB   23 downloads

Ok, I took the two out of the tent & sprayed them to the point they were dripping.I did not use the saturate because of the how little is used. It was only 10ml to a liter of Reverse, I am not wasting $30 for that little bit to mix in. What would I do with the rest? Anyway I will respray in 10 days & I should be done, if not these two will be put outside to finish.

I'm no expert but when my plants leaves start turning down I have found that I have over fed them. I flush for a couple of days and the new growth comes out normal. Like I said I'm no expert. You probably know that. Just trying to help.
  • teddys head, Zoot, kittypup and 2 others like this

#22 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

It's been a week now & I am happy to say that over 80% of the nanners are already gone. I will spray again on the 13th to finish it off. I do not see any thing negative from the use of this product. I have pulled off a couple nanners to look at them closer under a micro scope to find that the pollen is clumped together, no way it could spread in the air.
  • teddys head, Blue61 and joeya like this

#23 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1876 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Zoot, thank you for sharing your results! I will probably pick some up before my next grow, as I always seem to get nanners sneaking in. J A
  • teddys head, Zoot and Blue61 like this

#24 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have now sprayed them twice, the last time was a week ago. I have no new nanners & the ones I did have just fell off to the floor. I have opened the nanners up to look inside and it was just a clump, nothing to cause a problem without some help. I'll come back and report on any seed I might end up with.
  • Blue61 likes this

#25 Tha206

Tha206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the info!
  • Zoot and Blue61 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hermaphrodite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users