Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
* * * * * 1 vote(s)

Grain Alcohol 190 Proof Cannabis Oil Feco Extracts—A Civil Discussion

ethyl RSO Grain alcohol cannabis Rick Simpson extraction techniques testimonials questions discussion

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hey Graywolf! I'm new to this forum but I have been reading lots of the threads and also your skunkpharmresearch. I am a little confused on a few things with ethanol extract. From your QWET with ethanol instructions, you state to heat extracted liqiud with an oil bath at 250F. Is there any danger in this because the ethanol's boiling point is lower. I know its not using an open flame but I want to be extra careful once I start using this method. Also, your directions state to keep at 250F til its fully purged of ethanol. So when do I know when to stop exactly so that I don't burn my oil? Would appreciate any tips and guidance! Thanks

The oil and ethanol mixture won't reach 250F, until all the ethanol is boiled off. It will only reach about 173F at sealevel. We tell what is going on, by watching the bubbles.

The large randomly sized bubbles are solvent, and the small fizzy equally sized bubbles are CO2 from decarboxylation. When the random sized bubbles are gone, so is the solvent, and when the fizzy bubbles suddenly fall off, you are at about 70% decarboxylation and when they stop altogether, you are fully decarboxylated.

The oil and ethanol mixture won't reach 250F, until all the ethanol is boiled off. It will only reach about 173F at sealevel. We tell what is going on, by watching the bubbles.

The large randomly sized bubbles are solvent, and the small fizzy equally sized bubbles are CO2 from decarboxylation. When the random sized bubbles are gone, so is the solvent, and when the fizzy bubbles suddenly fall off, you are at about 70% decarboxylation and when they stop altogether, you are fully decarboxylated.

You won't burn your oil at 250F, but you can turn all the THC into CBN if you heat it long enough.
  • teddys head and GrowGoddess like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 Drew3170

Drew3170

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Awesome! Thanks for answering my questions! I would probably stop when it is at 70%. I can't wait to try this out. Just waiting on funds to get some nice buds :D
  • Graywolf likes this

#28 CRM5096

CRM5096

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

i am a total newbie , to me my first impression i would want to make my own grain Alcohol distilled in copper still to make my own oil extracts , No Petroleum at all ...

#29 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Good idea where that is legal! Drinking alcohol is certainly grossly overpriced from taxation!

#30 hinduhippy

hinduhippy

Medical Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Ive been telling people on this forum for years now to not use ISO and to use 190 Grain Alcohol, it works awesome, and guess what, your actually suppose to consume it! Thats a crazy common sense thought, isnt it?! Also another thing ive been saying for years is not to rice cook the oil as fast as everybody does it! You loose soo much product by doing it the fast way. But if you just put all your alcohol into a pyrex bowl and let it sit on a oven top on low all day, it will slowly evaporate so you arnt loosing any product and your not burning out the cannabinoids by heating it up super fast like in a rice cooker. I mean, everybody on here, i think, knows how heat changes the chemical compounds in CBCs and THC and that it can definitely burn out!.
  • Greenview likes this

#31 VagnerAndrei

VagnerAndrei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

Could not find EVERCLEAR in my country too. Another grain alcohol mark , it is safe to use up? My first and only oil, I was using ISO, and I have perceived unfortunate side results. Now I need to know what's the best way to reverse that, and make a safely oil. sorry about question. I'm a newer in oil maker.
  • Michael and Greenview like this

#32 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

Welcome to GP, Vanger, and no apology needed for questions, it lets us all do what we love and that is to share the knowledge. There is a lot of help here when it comes to making oil. Here is the link to the forum index that has a vast amount of information https://www.greenpas...hemp-oil-cures/ My personal favorite is a very simple process that gives you an edible oil, but it's not for smoking. This works fine for sublingual dosing or for use in medibles. https://www.greenpas...ense-version-2/ and here is a longer version of Stoned Ranger's tutorial. There are some adaptations along the way, but it gives you a lot of insight to the process https://www.greenpas...tical-cure-all/ Post #390 gives you the simplest method and it turns out a very potent oil Just put the cannabis in your crockpot use enough coconut oil to cover and use 200 degrees and stir, beat it with a blender etc. The cannabis will get crunchy, it will feel different than dried cannabis. You NEED a 100 micron filter bag. This is essential as the largest trichom is 100 microns in size. Good luck and good health Bill That is all for an edible oil, but there are plenty of topics for making all kinds of oil. If you need any help, just holler. It's impossible to ask too many questions here when it comes to MMJ!
  • Michael and Blue61 like this

#33 YoniKunda

YoniKunda

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on the Australian coastline

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

It is near impossible to find ethanol down here in Oz, unless you like being audited by our taxation office & TGA-therapeutic goods administration. They slammed massive tax on ethanol, I think for the micro brewers and spirit makers. It's all about tax here unfortunately. Even with motor racing permits and accreditation, I can't even secure a liter 'to add to my race fuel' without jumping thru government loops to please them. I have heard but have not investigated a high proof grain alcohol available in some of our liquor stores. Only comes in 500ml bottles and is upward of $70!! I will eventually get some as I would like a few tinctures. However I have a few old bottles of 33%Overproof Rum, 74.6%alc which would prob do the trick for the tincture bases atmo. I am stuck with ISO, but at least I can find it @ 100% here without to much drama. Cheers all, great discussion as GP always is ;0)
  • Michael likes this

#34 enterprisebbc

enterprisebbc

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

May I agree with Luc that FECO brings to mind fecal matter, and we already have names for the different extraction methods?

I also agree that calling it Hemp Oil is confusing, because that is often what hemp seed oil is marketed under. RSO works for me, and to mean oil extracted using Rick Simpson's recommended process.

The flip side of the coin, is that RSO conveniently covers every extraction process known to man for some of the more ignorant on the subject, and has simply become an acronym for Cannabis Essential Oils.

We have presented classes demonstrating multiple polar and non polar extraction methods, only to have a smug faced zealot announce that is all well and good, but how do I make RSO oil? When advised that it was covered in detail in QWISO, and that Hexane works the same as Naphtha, they have even asked where there the rice cooker is.

Mostly they are really confused as to where to easily find anything but industrial grade naphtha, without going to the same sources that sell more refined solvents, as am I.

On the subject of the utility 190 proof, I started extracting with 190 proof ethanol sold under the Clear Springs or Everclear labels. It is an azeotropic distillation, which puts it at around 95.5% ethanol, with the balance water.

We also extract with Butane, Isopropyl, Denatured, and Hexane, depending on the use, and the test panels have all uniformly saluted them all, for a range of maladies. The key issue, appears to me to be what is extracted, not how.

I have extracted cannabis essential oils with ethanol using both reflux and QWET techniques, and prefer the QWET, because like Isopropyl, Ethanol extracts water solubles and other polar elements. Tying the water up as ice and extracting at low temperatures minimizes that issue.

I got the greatest yield refluxing with Ethanol, but also extracted a boat load of ostensibly non active ingredients, so the numbers are apples and oranges.

More to the point, this argument is exactly why we purchased a gas chromatograph, so that we can present concrete data on what exactly is extracted from the same lot of material, using the different processes.

The shack nears completion, so that will soon be on line, and we can supply that empirical information. I grow tired of hearing why one single person has the best product, without concise supportive data.

It reminds me of listening to two street dope peddlers arguing over who has the best shit, with no other intelligent input than their stuff is gooooooood, and their competitors product is adulterated trash. If it were not more about secondary motives such as money, I'm thinking that they would be able to define concisely why.

IS THERE A DEVICE THAT ONE COULD PUT IN THE OIL THAT WOULD DETECT UNWANTED SOLVENTS?
  • painretreat likes this

#35 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

A gas chromatograph is typically used to detect their presence, but you can taste ethanol, isopropanol, butane, and hexane far below their Permissible Exposure Limits.
  • Luc, GrowGoddess, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#36 GrowGoddess

GrowGoddess

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationCentral Michigan

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I have always used the 99% isopropyl alcohol. I want to try naptha, but I am not 100% confident and if I am not 100% confident, I choose not to do it. I also want to and am going to try the 190 grain alcohol and compare it to the 99% iso. I have a patient that has been taking the oil made with 99% iso for three years now and has not reported any problems yet. The quality is not in just the solvent that was used, the quality is in the product and how the process was completed. I am very interested in trying the process with 190 proof grain alcohol. Actually, I would prefer to use 190 proof made from grapes. It is about 40% more expensive than regular 190 proof grain alcohol. Where I have been looking to order it, since I cannot purchase 190 proof in my state, they somewhat force you to purchase 5 gallons or you would be paying a good 40-50% more for smaller quantities. Well, I have to get up at least $500 to be able to try the grape 190 proof alcohol. Here is where I plan on purchasing the 5 gallon 190 proof alcohol. http://organicalcohol.com/store/ I must say though, RSO does roll off the toung much easier than concentrated cannabis oil :) it is easier to type too! Otherwise, I do not really care what it is called, so long as it is made correctly. With naptha, butane, a few other things, well it is not just the toxins that scare me or to where I am not 100% confident, it is in how easy it is for the chemicals to ignite, it is how some of those compounds vapors drop to ground level and linger. Thumbs up to those who do know what they are doing and having great success with their solvent of choice. It all boils down to the final product and its quality. With grain alcohol or 99% iso, I choose to do two seprate washes with my material because these solvents can extract chlorophyll and such, I like to get my first extraction as clean as possible. The second extraction has some chlorophyll in it, not bad though. On the first extraction I get a 3:1 ratio, three being the amber oil, 1 being the darker oil. Here is a picture of the two extractions from the same starting material. 2013 03190056
2013 03190064
These were each done with 99% isopropyl alcohol. I hope in the near future I can do the same with 190 proof alcohol.

#37 crobro

crobro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

If I use a solvant of unknown purity I would think abouth distiling it first. I like alcohol but we do not have everclear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethyl, RSO, Grain alcohol, cannabis, Rick Simpson, extraction, techniques, testimonials, questions, discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users