#51 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationUnited States/Colorado

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Tink, I couldn't agree with you more. Complete LEGALIZATION FOR CANNABIS. No less. I want to be able to grow this beautiful plant in peace and not worry if somebody is going to steal my plants or give me trouble because I'm growing it. You can't "legislate nature." It'll never happen. Well, unless Monsanto gets a hold of it.....
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#52 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Dudz, I smelled an oil made from high grade bud and Naphtha. It was awful. Truly gagging. They obviously didn't purge it right and I kept telling the woman NOT to use it until it was burned off more. She wouldn't listen to me because "Rick told her it was OK." God help her. Somebody is going to die from exposure to the toxins. It's only a matter of time and then it could seriously backfire on Rick and JB. Karma is biting people a LOT faster than it used to. Time is speeding up and payback is getting quicker.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#53 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

The biggest problem is that these posterboys (Hi Rick and Marc!) and other people at the top of the "activism food chain" are as corrupt as the politicians they speak so badly about. They only care about how they can fatten their wallet and anyone who gets in their way will be discredited or silenced in any way possible.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#54 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

And yet....AND YET....they (except for Marc) all talk about how WE should "give it away free" because "God gave it to us." God gave us tomatoes too but I still have to buy those unless I grow them for myself!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#55 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

And yet....AND YET....they (except for Marc) all talk about how WE should "give it away free" because "God gave it to us." God gave us tomatoes too but I still have to buy those unless I grow them for myself!

They don't exactly practice what they preach. LOL
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#56 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

If someone asks me "What strains do you use for making the oil?" I tell them. Blueberry, Bubba Kush, Snow Fruit, White Widow and more. All Indicas. THC between 16% and 22%. Why can't JB and Rick do the same thing? It's as if they have no idea what they are growing. Oh, and they never mention to people about where to buy these seeds. Some seed banks are better than others. Some you don't want to mess with. Better to tell people where to go to buy seed than waste their time and money. Oh, and money? Yeah. Feminized seeds can be up to $15.00 or more PER SEED. Regular seeds around $8.00 to $12.00 EACH. So, you buy regular seeds and nurture them for THREE MONTHS until they choose to show their sex and then you find out they are males. Lots of work and then a male. But to hear Rick talk about growing, you'd think you just plunk the seed in the ground, walk away and come back in the fall for the harvest.....at which time I suppose the plant harvests itself. No work involved. Easy as pie. That's why everybody is growing. Monkeys are getting into it now and they have opposable thumbs so they use the watering cans easier. LAD

#57 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Oh my God....Now, Jindrich is telling some newbie that ACETONE might be a great solvent to make the oil????? Are you f---ing kidding me??? How 'bout gasoline? How 'bout the run off from Fukishima's Reactor #4? How 'bout the stuff that's still skimming the waters around the BP Oil spill in the Gulf? That's eating through sea life so I bet it's a good solvent too....

• Birmingham Compassion What do you think about acetone as a solvent?
    6 hours ago · Like

• Posted Image
    Rick Simpson We have not tried it but we think it might work. I would test it on an ounce or so. I would use 99%isopropyl or naphtha. JB

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#58 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I use acetone to make oil....hafta make sure it's evapped...sadly it is bout all I can get... muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#59 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Oh, MediuseA, really???? That's not good. I think a byproduct of acetone is formaldehyde when it's heated.

#60 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Pretty much ANY solvent is okay, provided that you purge it back out properly. Depending on the chemical you are trying to remove, it may require additional knowledge, time, more chemicals, or even specialized equipment.

The unfortunate thing about naptha is the fact that it isn't usually just naptha. Most sources typically contain other chemicals as well, sometimes including but not limited to the cancer-causing agent 1,3,5-Cyclohexatriene (aka benzene). So if you are trying to purge "naptha" out of your oil, you first have to find the MSDS for that exact brand/version of naptha to figure out exactly what other chemicals are also in that container ...and hope they told the truth! (I think we all know that MSDS sheets are not always that transparent). Then you have to figure out what it takes to remove all those other chemicals as well, and go through those procedures.

Now what percentage of the people following Rick Simpson's recipe go through all that before ingesting the oil? I would bet "not very many".

Edited by Dudz, 23 May 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#61 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Here's my concern. I've met people who are using the Naphtha method for extracting the oil. Now, these people are sick and I understand that. BUT when I look at them and then compare them to someone else who is NOT using a toxic solvent method to make their oil, there is a different look about them. I can't explain it. The one who is NOT using the toxic solvent method, while still fatigued, has brighter eyes and better color. The one who IS using the toxic solvent, is also fatigued but has a defined pastiness to their complexion and a dull, almost "mentally challenged" look in their eyes. From my POV and experience working with people who have had exposure to chemicals, it's the same look as someone who has some sort of neural damage. These chemicals can and DO cause neural damage in the brain. The fact that I have to mention that is kind of shocking. I realize that Everclear (grain alcohol) is not legal in all 50 states. I couldn't get it years ago when I was living in California but I happily traveled to Nevada (six hours away) to purchase it because it was the only way I would make my herbal extracts back then. I'd buy enough to get me through six months and then travel back to Nevada to get more after that. The point is, if it's important enough to the person who is making the oil to make it as cleanly as possible, that person is going to do what it takes to procure the safer solvent. I think what too many people don't understand is that these NON-FOOD GRADE solvents can and do cause long term damage. I don't know for a fact that the cannabis can override that damage, as put forth by Jindrich. That has yet to be proven to me and I seriously doubt it ever would be proven. My concern is that you have too many people making this oil with toxins and somebody is going to die because of it. It's really that simple. But there is no getting through to Jindrich or Rick. They are wallowing in their ignorance and, IMO, look like idiots over there. Seriously, I think Rick and JB have done more in this week to discredit their knowledge than any other time JB has shot off his mouth. Time will soon tell what the effect of that will be.

#62 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

I use acetone to make oil....hafta make sure it's evapped...sadly it is bout all I can get...
muA

don't worry my twinnie friend...i'm in the doldrums too with my iso and my butane...lol...medi you gotta do what you gotta do withwhats available to you....as long as we're as safe as we can be what else can you do?...no one's bashing us...we'd do it different if we could....love ya muchly!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

#63 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

Oh, MediuseA, really???? That's not good. I think a byproduct of acetone is formaldehyde when it's heated.

LAD we need to remember that medi is one of the peeps we speak of like me...he lives in an EXTREMELY remote area on a VERY limited income and he has to use whats available to him or not do it at all....i'm faced with similar but not so extreme...we'd ALL prefer to be doing it "safely" but for many of us its simply not possible....so we do what we can and be as careful as we can while doing it!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

#64 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

aiming to get this http://www.westbrew....n/Stills/760100 http://www.westbrew....on/Stills/30003 muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Graywolf and 3 others like this

#65 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

aiming to get this
http://www.westbrew....n/Stills/760100

http://www.westbrew....on/Stills/30003

muA

that looks cool medi...lotsa dollars but cool!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 1 other like this

#66 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

yep it IS, sis... for ME it will be...but consider...IF there are a few peeps chipping in and it spends a lil time in each household doin it's stuff...the price drops, eh? thinking.gif mosta da time it'll sit inna cupboard somewhere....as a time-share investment it's better than a bungalow by da sea :lol: muA

#67 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

MediuseA, check this out: http://www.nutriteam...istiller/Detail I bet they ship overseas, if that's where you live. Have you seen this video? (I'm sure it's been posted on here many times, but if not, check it out. It's the same distiller in action):
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#68 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

yep, LAD... :D seen it...with postage downunder it works out to the same price as buying the unit here....and for an extra $100 sommat I can get the full kit with enough for a few runs :D... formaldahyde...I do know of it's problems....did ya know almost all ya clothes are soaked with it?...gotta wash new stuf 3-4 times to clear it ...bah!...such modern advancements... muA

#69 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Oh, yeah. I know about clothing dipped in it. It's the same reason I don't use name brand detergents since they have proven hormone disruptors. I know of a woman who stopped using detergents such as Tide and others of that ilk, and started using natural alternatives to wash her clothes and within a few months, her hormone issues ceased. The cocktail of toxins we are all exposed to daily is just outrageous. The cities are the worst but even in rural areas, esp. where there is conventional farming practices, it can even worse if the wind is blowing the wrong way when they are spraying.

#70 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

aiming to get this
http://www.westbrew....n/Stills/760100

http://www.westbrew....on/Stills/30003

muA

A couple of thoughts. A simple pot still like that will typically only put out around 120 proof the first cut. A compound refluxing still is relatively easy to build, and will give you azeotropic 95.6% 190 proof.

I recommend reading Designing and Building Automatic Stills, by Riku, and The Compleat Distiller, by Nixon and McCaw.

#71 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Graywolf, since I'm not familiar with stills like this, what would happen if you started with Everclear (grain alcohol) and used that as the solvent in this table top model? Being able to reclaim it and use it again would be great. But (and it might be a stupid question showing my ignorance) is the reclaimed solvent the same after it's gone through it once? And how many times can that same grain alcohol solvent be used? Obviously, if this idea was "as good" or better than my method of simply soaking the decarbed plant matter in the grain alcohol and then cooking it off and down into a "tar," I'd be open to trying it. Many thanks. LAD
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#72 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Graywolf, since I'm not familiar with stills like this, what would happen if you started with Everclear (grain alcohol) and used that as the solvent in this table top model? Being able to reclaim it and use it again would be great. But (and it might be a stupid question showing my ignorance) is the reclaimed solvent the same after it's gone through it once? And how many times can that same grain alcohol solvent be used? Obviously, if this idea was "as good" or better than my method of simply soaking the decarbed plant matter in the grain alcohol and then cooking it off and down into a "tar," I'd be open to trying it. Many thanks.

LAD

The table top model will recover 190 proof just fine, but as it is reused and picks up more water, it becomes more dilute. It takes refluxing or a vacuum to maintain the high concentration.

Because I still lose the alcohol that soaks into the material (~1/3?), I've never had recycled alcohol last enough times to notice the water pickup.

#73 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, Graywolf. How nice it is to have a conversation with someone who knows what he's talking about. LAD

#74 LAD525

LAD525

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey, Dudz, heads up. You got blocked by JB over on Rick's FB page. You probably already know this. So much for exploring options over there, eh?

#75 ThiaBo

ThiaBo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I do Hemp oil with grain alcohol, and I have my theories about this drop in the amount of cannabinoids, The Rick Simpson claims that the extraction using grain alcohol has less concentration of THC, is why he does not dissolve the resin as efficiently as ISO or Naptha, I do 4 with the same herb strained by changing the alcohol, it makes the whole extract resin having on the grass ... I'm no expert like Rick, but I think my method does not leave with a lower concentration of resin. I am Brazilian and I am not fluent in English, I am using a translator, sorry ... ;)

Edited by ThiaBo, 26 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.

• Tokecrazy, jangel, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rick Simpson Oil, RSO, Everclear, method, Naphtha, ISO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users