Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Damn! What Is Worse, When In 12/12-Rootbound Or Transplanting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

To make a long story short, when i transplanted my girls (using promix bx by the way) for 12/12, they ended up in vegg WAY longer than I had planned(about 6 weeks) and they ended up filling up their pots immensly.

Now these have only been in 12/12 for a week, but the 3 plants that are in the promix bx(crazy root growth) their roots have already all over the sides of the dirt when i pull them out. Yes, lol, i can pull them out already without dirt falling off-the dirt has already taken shape of the pots because of the roots.

My question is , should IU tplant these 3 into larger pots, say 5 gallon? (they r 3.9 gallon now) I know this stresses out the girls BUT im worried about later in the flowering,(these r only 8 week strains, but still..) really worried theyll go rootbound and i dont know whats worse.

Please help!
  • Turf, bongbonghi, usstoner and 4 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

IF you can pull the rootball out of the pot like a plug, I don't see how transplanting them will do more than set em back a few days...though I would wait for a few more opinions from others before taking my advice.....I am just guestimating here. :D muA
  • col.forbin, Turf, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

#3 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1996 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

opinion are like........ :) well, i say let the roots be. the 12/12 flip and transition into flower is no time to distract the plant's energy away from flower development. make your roots in veg, let the plant concentrate on blooming during bloom my twocents.gif for a one time thing... it prolly matters very little either way....as a general habit, i would let them be after flip.

Edited by Turf, 13 May 2012 - 08:16 PM.

• col.forbin, bongbonghi, usstoner and 4 others like this

#4 FarmerLiz

FarmerLiz

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

If you don't repot, you are going to have to water and fert a lot more often during the grow, and the plant will still probably be smaller than it could have been...but a week into flower, the plant is already switching to flower mode, do you really want to have it start growing roots again instead? I think I'd probably go for the extra water and ferts...

#5 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I agree with Turf. However, this is yet another reason to use fabric pots. If needed, you can transplant the entire thing pot and all into a larger pot without injuring the roots.

#6 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

:D muhahahah see?!?? :D more opinions give a better baseline :P heheheh muA

#7 usstoner

usstoner

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

i've upcanned in the flower mode with no problems...
  • Turf, bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users