• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

FYI for hemp fans. I just got around to getting a bud from a Suomi Hemp plant tested for CBD/THC using the QuantaCann system from Steep Hill Lab. It tested at 3.93% CBD, but the test was not sensitive enough to report the % for the THC. My experience growing Suomi Hemp from my own second generation seeds has been a lot better than from puchased seeds. Nice high germination rate, and the plants grow and finish very fast. I pollinated a non-auto Kush female from a Suomi Hemp male, and got a cute little auto-flowering Indica appearing male. I crossed that male back with a Suomi female. Can't wait to see the result. :) All in all a fun strain to grow, and nice if your looking for an auto-flowering strain with some CBD but next to no THC.

Attached Files

• jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21633 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Sounds good to me. As long as your going in the direction you want, go for it.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#3 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi WW,We have had a few peeps try and grow Suomi hemp.Let me see if I can find the link or at least which forum
the threads are in.Btw welcome to GP.
Peace,
Blue

Here's a link to one thread.I know there are others.If your interested.
https://www.greenpas...nstorm-with-me/
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#4 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Most interesting...thanks WW :toking: muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

If you check the links in my signature you will see I tried this as well.

EDIT: see blue already posted a link! SORRY blue babes...my bad:

The problems I had and others that tried after wards where with the original seed stock sold by Vancouver seed bank.

MANY did not germinate. The ones that did where weak little things, that had no genetic vigour. It makes me think the seeds had been tampered with or where very old or had somehow been made sterile.

I am very impressed. Love to see this and here about your experiment.

Please also check the link. Breeding of Hemp with An Indica

Welcome to GP!

J
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#6 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

great stuff WW :oldhippy:

Health and happiness
  • jangel, Itinkso, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#7 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yes, jangel, the problem must be with the VCB seeds. I could only get about 10% to germinate, and they were really stressed looking, with distorted leaves, etc. But once you get your own seeds going they grow just fine. The plants grow fast and stretch a lot, but do respond to training, and can give you a large and bushy plant with nice big fragrant buds. I think it could be a useful strain for experimenting with because it definitely carries the CBD gene.
  • jangel, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#8 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I still have several seeds left. I should try that this summer, mixing a male Suomi with something else outdoors. Apparently after I got them and someone else also ordered them they where pretty much giving them away...so they knew there was an issue with them. J
  • Itinkso, teddys head, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#9 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Yup, I ordered 20 seeds for $5.00, but they sent me about 100.

#10 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

they look AMAZING wally....brilliant stuff!!!
  • teddys head, DogFaceDude and Blue61 like this

#11 Unistasis

Unistasis

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Great job Wally! I remember you enquired about suomi hemp last winter, and it's great to see such good results. As I have said before, I still think VSB's Suomi Hemp are in reality the hempseed Finola from Finland, and somehow VSB got a hold of these and selling them for quite a profit in comparison to what they charge at finola.com. It also makes sense when considering Jangel's mixed results of growing those hemp plants, because if they truly are from a big batch of seeds, used for mass growing, some of the seeds will be of poor quality, and VSB don't seem to select out the best looking seeds. I also got many more seeds than i ordered suomi hemp from VSB, and the quality varied greatly, and this is also a sign that they have a lot of these seeds to go around. My guess is that they bought a big batch off someone in the hemp growing business, and now they're selling it to customers searching for CBD. As long as we can get good genetics out of it, it's all good. :)

Edited by Unistasis, 10 May 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#12 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'll bet you're right about it being the seed from which Finola oil is made. It's apparently called FIN-314, and there's some info about it on the web. They've been experimenting with growing it in Canada. :) Interestingly, when grown in Canada the THC seems to be a bit higher because it's a more southern latitude than Finland. http://www.druglibra...a/jiha6113.html http://www.druglibra...a/jiha5112.html http://www.hempworld...ed/finland.html

#13 Unistasis

Unistasis

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

From finola.com:

http://finola.com/Fi...fo_05062012.pdf

http://finola.com/Fi...lopment gif.pdf

http://finola.com/seed.html

What I mean is that i believe the finola seed is the same seed as suomi hemp.

It's good to see that it's growable!
  • jangel, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#14 PRD

PRD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hello guys. I`m beginner hemp farmer and I`m going to sow 100kg within next few days, 3ha plot, Finnish variety FINOLA. But I`m curious - what would happen if I next year sow harvested seed from this years produce? Would they grow, mature and produce seeds? For first time I bought them from official distributor, but very expensive.

Edited by PRD, 21 May 2012 - 01:46 PM.

• jangel, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#15 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well, my *much* smaller garden prduced viable seed. :) Good luck. I would love to have a commercial hemp farm, but here in the US only a couple of states allow it.

#16 CBDquest

CBDquest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

This thread is great to come across. It is legal in my country to grow this whereas marijuana with high THC I cannot. I am after the CBD though, is the CBD of 3.93% as mentioned in this strain enough to use medically? Anyone else growing it? Also, how big does this plant get and how well can you train it?
  • Itinkso and DogFaceDude like this

#17 WallyWolf

WallyWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

I would think that there is enough CBD to be useful. The high CBD medical strain Cannatonic is advertised to contain 6% CBD, so it is not that much less. I've only grown them indoors under T5 lights, and the size is about average. They look and grow pretty much like your average cannabis plant. They get a lot of side branches when trained, so would work in a SCROG setup for example. The buds are good sized and fragrant. You would never guess by looking at them that there is not much THC.
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and DogFaceDude like this

#18 CBDquest

CBDquest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

I will update this thread if I am able to get onto some beans and grow them!
  • Itinkso likes this

#19 PRD

PRD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Just to give quick update - my Finnish Finola has grown considerably, this thing grows VEEEERY fast. Its been a month and its already up to my knee. To achieve needed density, must be sown at least 30kg/ha. I tried 24kg and 30 and I can see that 24kg isn`t enough. I added 40kg/ha more of Nitrogen this week. I will be starting to look for my harvested seed buyers shortly. I hope I can harvest and achieve around 3.5t with 8% moisture from my 3ha.

Edited by PRD, 23 June 2012 - 01:31 AM.

• Itinkso likes this

#20 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

cant wait to see how the experiment goes. got any pics of your hemp fields.. they must look awesome.

#21 Oldchuck

Oldchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

I'm very interested in these projects. Any updates??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users