75 replies to this topic

#51 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

sorry for double clutching on the posts, not meaning to change the subject or anything, but residuals being left behind imo, are not bad in the case of ethanol. however being denatured like isopropyl, the residuals are toxic. some signs maybe a fishy like taste if dabbed, in which we must purge on because the denaturing product boils off at the same temperature as the alcohol and cannot be undenatured by any means. so any and all residuals that come from iso oil, is not fit for human consumption unless properly skilled chemists in the art treat this extract and ensure there is not any residues left in the denaturing product remaining in the extract. scfe is the ultimate solvent of choice in this medicinal area. gray i understand your scfe schematic, used it, works great!!! it didnt hit me til later that i employ your schematic already!!! thanks for the posts. this man tells no lies, not my graywolf!!!

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#52 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm uncertain of water percentage, but 190 proof has still a big 4.5% water portion to it. when I take into consideration the use of polar or non-polar solvents, and have seen their amplified versions w co2 as the amplifier. isobutane is the next best to 200 proof lab grade ethanol. partly because its anhydrous it doesnt leach water solubles in to the extract. so the next best economical solution is electronic cleaner that is n-hexanes and ethanol, is there a way for me in california to get some of these products easily if at all, kinda like the propane w out mercs, just isnt available here. so alot of outside the box thinking is required for best results.

If we are making meds and using a suitable process, instead of debating the best solvent, 4.5% water is more of a conversation piece than a roadblock. Does this look like I picked up chlorophyll?

Not sure why you picked Isobutane over n-Butane, with the same chemical formula bro. Would you explain why a branched alkane better than a simple straight chain alkane?

Both Isobutane and n-Butane are not totally insoluble in water at .00325 vol/vol and still pick up water solubles. That is about 32 ml/liter and we have to use a dryer to take it out when using our recycle system, or our extracts turn a light electric green.

Attached Files

• Tokecrazy, jangel, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#53 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

sorry for double clutching on the posts, not meaning to change the subject or anything, but residuals being left behind imo, are not bad in the case of ethanol. however being denatured like isopropyl, the residuals are toxic. some signs maybe a fishy like taste if dabbed, in which we must purge on because the denaturing product boils off at the same temperature as the alcohol and cannot be undenatured by any means. so any and all residuals that come from iso oil, is not fit for human consumption unless properly skilled chemists in the art treat this extract and ensure there is not any residues left in the denaturing product remaining in the extract. scfe is the ultimate solvent of choice in this medicinal area. gray i understand your scfe schematic, used it, works great!!! it didnt hit me til later that i employ your schematic already!!! thanks for the posts. this man tells no lies, not my graywolf!!!

Ummmm, most isopropyl isn't denatured, because there is no need.

Residual Isopropyl tastes like Isopropyl alcohol to me and smells the same. Isopropyl is a particularly pungent alcohol, even more so that the simple alkane Propyl alcohol it is an isomer of.

How much residual are you talking about bro? You can taste and smell it at several times less concentration, than where it becomes toxic. If you can taste or smell any residual Iso, don't use it, and you are safe.

If it smelled and tasted fishy, it may have been extracted with fish or snake oil!

After listening to you discuss your secret process, I thought my simple minded conceptual might ring a bell with you.

So as to not clutter up this alcohol thread, how about we bop over to that CO2 extraction thread and you are invited to regale us with how you used it and share some photos of your results.

For instance, here is a photo of some extract brother Organic Alchemist is running through a commercial unit at 5000 psi, with no co solvent.

My first wife says I lied like a rug to get laid, so although I don't remember for sure, you may be lying about that last point.

Attached Files

• Tokecrazy, jangel, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#54 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have the same prob here as the UK'ers do. High grade alcohol is too expensive here. I have used Spiritus Vodka before, for a cancer patient. Over 500$ just for the solvent, never mind the cost or rather value of the lbs of pot used. And this is given, not sold. I cannot afford this myself. I have to use Iso. No options. And I have never smelled or tasted ISO in my healing oil. I check feverishly to be sure. We do the best we can with what we can find to heal our people...all of us. All over the world. If you are blessed with the labs and kitchen chemistry equipment some have, then more power to you. Count your blessings and help those that are not so fortunate, rather than scare them by saying what they make is poison. We are trying on this site to make this approachable and less scary for those that need it. However we can. If using iso is the only option open to us, then show and tell us how to do it well, with no residue left. I have done it. From what I have read, on many sites and in many posts, if taking your iso and wetting your finger with it, then running over a mirror and letting it evaporate, leaves no sign it was there, with no mark or residue,then you are good to go and all of it can be boiled off. As well, remember to purge it properly. Just like in the Run from the Cure video where RS puts 10 drops of water in at the end of the cookdown, to insure all the solvent is burnt off, do that. I do that and you can tell when it is gone. I have done this many many times, and never smelled ISO in my oil. Yes, if I was richer and could GET it here, I would choose ethanol, 195% proof. But that is not doable. So either choose a method like the No Nonsense method, with no solvent, or use what is possible. I have done both...and they do work, but I still think RS oil has more over the NN method. I really do. J
  • Tokecrazy, Graywolf, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#55 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

there are threads like this all over FB just now....all the solvent bashing makes me so mad...if i could DO everclear i WOULD...in a heart beat....but i can only do what i can so like J says...tell us how to do it as safely as possible instead of making us feel guilty about what good we are trying to do!!
  • Tokecrazy, jangel, Graywolf and 4 others like this

#56 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

I understand Tinker...you know that. J
  • Tokecrazy, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#57 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

theres sometimes a need for anhydrous alcohol. i feel its almost done in vain to decarboxylate, then to add alcohol containing water seems to put back in what i was trying to eliminate from the matrix, 8% or so moisture that wouldnt be removed w out he addition of heat. if your trying to recrystallize the oil, then theres going to be a major drawback and impossible to get to glass back. the water also locks in impurities and 95% just wont work. so the higher standards w water % will ultimately show in your extracts. Where a faint shade of green is lurking w 5% water, doesnt really apply for the anhydrous non-polar co-solvents. its easy to hit green shades w alcohols of various types, ethanol is the most selective alcohol to be used. so @ one time i was really satisfied w 75% ethanol, but as my standards were raised, my acceptance for these less than perfect solvents is becomeing less and less. really leaves only the highest quality solvents extracting the highest grade oil around. Many people have searched for me and come from miles around bearing w them their top shelf extracts. They are the ones who said that was the bombest extract theyve ever tried. a handful of bho geniuses have got lessons from me and gave up butane as a solvent of choice because the product and methods are more solid in general. I remain undefeated against butane and am asking the best of you geniuses to bring your top shelf stuff and watch your beloved bho get k.o.'d. thats a bold statement I boast w confidence.

#58 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Residual Isopropyl tastes like Isopropyl alcohol to me and smells the same. Isopropyl is a particularly pungent alcohol, even more so that the simple alkane Propyl alcohol it is an isomer of.

How much residual are you talking about bro? You can taste and smell it at several times less concentration, than where it becomes toxic. If you can taste or smell any residual Iso, don't use it, and you are safe.

If it smelled and tasted fishy, it may have been extracted with fish or snake oil!

After listening to you discuss your secret process, I thought my simple minded conceptual might ring a bell with you.

So as to not clutter up this alcohol thread, how about we bop over to that CO2 extraction thread and you are invited to regale us with how you used it and share some photos of your results.

For instance, here is a photo of some extract brother Organic Alchemist is running through a commercial unit at 5000 psi, with no co solvent.

My first wife says I lied like a rug to get laid, so although I don't remember for sure, you may be lying about that last point.

I like your posts and your work. very nice. you use activated charcoal to get that yellow color? there is definately some benifits of getting educated as yourself. most of my know how comes from one genius who takes all my questions and gives me answers i deem factual. next time I use the schematic that you posted w cryo co2 for my extraction, i will take photos. really works so well, i ditched former methods. sorry about giving a negative post about something that hit me later, what was going on. very effective and fast.

#59 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

there are threads like this all over FB just now....all the solvent bashing makes me so mad...if i could DO everclear i WOULD...in a heart beat....but i can only do what i can so like J says...tell us how to do it as safely as possible instead of making us feel guilty about what good we are trying to do!!

I hope people understand the liability I am taking on by even suggesting using co2 as a solvent. if someone where to take my info and have some nasty accident due to lack of understanding of the subject, could wind me up in a whole lot of trouble. thats is the main reason I do private tutorials vs spilling beans and having someone change this or that and hurting themselves or others at my information not fully understood. imo these are safer than bho methods, but if something should go wrong, theres way more potential destruction from a hoaky co2 set up than the typical flash fire bho can offer. so I must anso time wer questions in a demo and evaluate there comprehension. if i answered everyones question who hits me up on a daily basis, I would be finding myself stuck on the computer working for free, w no time to extract or post. but the subject make such a huge leap overnite, as it was not long ago this was only achievable in a lab. not anymore.

#60 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

If we are making meds and using a suitable process, instead of debating the best solvent, 4.5% water is more of a conversation piece than a roadblock. Does this look like I picked up chlorophyll?

Not sure why you picked Isobutane over n-Butane, with the same chemical formula bro. Would you explain why a branched alkane better than a simple straight chain alkane?
i
Both Isobutane and n-Butane are not totally insoluble in water at .00325 vol/vol and still pick up water solubles. That is about 32 ml/liter and we have to use a dryer to take it out when using our recycle system, or our extracts turn a light electric green.

that is not the final product, is it? you know your shot, do great work, and posses skill far beyond most backyard extractors. I really dont care that my extracts are off in color, being rather dark is normal subcritical ethanol extraction. once the cannabinoid fraction has been isolated, anything up to 10,000 psi easy to get yellow. cant seem to get the money yellow. so I dont even try anymore to strive for a pale yellow oil vs oil that spanks. do you decarboxylate prior to extraction?

#61 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

here is a question I had for anyone w knowledge in the area. mmj has sugars that arent extracted w a non-polar solvent. now when using a polar solvent , does it dissolve sugars that would render a syrup like effect from dabbing? carmel sort of gunking? or am i trippin?

#62 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

nice, one person who i taught does very nice work just like that. thanks mike for your raising the bar just to give props to someone who not post, but does similar extractions to the ones you pictured. its a bit of a small yielder w no alcohol or any other co-solvent, but very selective and potent and flavorful I'd bet. your buddy does sick work. my work should be improving greatly as my methods were going w graywolfs simple scfe schematic. building these units is beyond the average joes capability. thats where I find myself, no way able to afford the cryo tanks, pumps, etc. to perform the task. so I will simply borrow one and forget owning a factory. this schematic was in my head a long time before I ever tried it. its the bomb.

#63 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

theres sometimes a need for anhydrous alcohol. i feel its almost done in vain to decarboxylate, then to add alcohol containing water seems to put back in what i was trying to eliminate from the matrix, 8% or so moisture that wouldnt be removed w out he addition of heat.

Ummmm, where did the 8% come from?

We also remove water with vacuum.

if your trying to recrystallize the oil, then theres going to be a major drawback and impossible to get to glass back.

Really impossible, as it isn't a crystaline structure.

It loses its viscosity when it is decarboxylated from carbocyclic acid.

the water also locks in impurities and 95% just wont work. so the higher standards w water % will ultimately show in your extracts. Where a faint shade of green is lurking w 5% water, doesnt really apply for the anhydrous non-polar co-solvents.

its easy to hit green shades w alcohols of various types, ethanol is the most selective alcohol to be used. so @ one time i was really satisfied w 75% ethanol, but as my standards were raised, my acceptance for these less than perfect solvents is becomeing less and less. really leaves only the highest quality solvents extracting the highest grade oil around.

OK, lets suppose we did end up with a faint shade of green lurking, despite my pictures showing that there was not, so what?

It certainly isn't insalubrious at those levels, and some people prefer the added flavor.

All oil isn't used for the same thing, and medical cannabis isn't a beauty contest.

Many people have searched for me and come from miles around bearing w them their top shelf extracts. They are the ones who said that was the bombest extract theyve ever tried. a handful of bho geniuses have got lessons from me and gave up butane as a solvent of choice because the product and methods are more solid in general.

Congratulations bro! Good for everyone to be famous and infamous for their alotted 15 minutes. Imagine how much more famous you would be on this forum with some pictures and process descriptions, as opposed to posting negative data about competing processes, that are based on a mixture of facts and misinformation. I can only imagine how famous you potentially could be, if you were to embrace my ongoing message about selling your process by its own virtues, not by attacking the competition.

I remain undefeated against butane and am asking the best of you geniuses to bring your top shelf stuff and watch your beloved bho get k.o.'d. thats a bold statement I boast w confidence.

No problem bro, most of us old farts are used to bold statements, and young folks pick up on them soon enough.

I admire innovation more than most, but extraordinary statements, require extraordinary proof, and you have yet to provide anything but bold statements.

How about that extraordinary proof? We are all eyes and ears, besides being willing, but just bold statements lose our attention fast.

Now you challenge us to visit you at our own expense to be enlightened. What an interesting plaudit.

I challenge you to offer enough proof that you have more than bold statements, and to stop wasting time throwing rocks at the competition.

Besides alienating them and turning them off to your message, it turns fame to infamy.
  • Itinkso, DogFaceDude and Blue61 like this

#64 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I like your posts and your work. very nice. you use activated charcoal to get that yellow color? there is definately some benifits of getting educated as yourself. most of my know how comes from one genius who takes all my questions and gives me answers i deem factual. next time I use the schematic that you posted w cryo co2 for my extraction, i will take photos. really works so well, i ditched former methods. sorry about giving a negative post about something that hit me later, what was going on. very effective and fast.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

No, there was no processing beyond vacuuming off the butane.

No problem with your past negative posts, if that means that we can move on to sharing what works with folks.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Itinkso, DogFaceDude and Blue61 like this

#65 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I hope people understand the liability I am taking on by even suggesting using co2 as a solvent. if someone where to take my info and have some nasty accident due to lack of understanding of the subject, could wind me up in a whole lot of trouble. thats is the main reason I do private tutorials vs spilling beans and having someone change this or that and hurting themselves or others at my information not fully understood. imo these are safer than bho methods, but if something should go wrong, theres way more potential destruction from a hoaky co2 set up than the typical flash fire bho can offer. so I must anso time wer questions in a demo and evaluate there comprehension. if i answered everyones question who hits me up on a daily basis, I would be finding myself stuck on the computer working for free, w no time to extract or post. but the subject make such a huge leap overnite, as it was not long ago this was only achievable in a lab. not anymore.

Yeah, I answer a lot of questions at the computer and locally hands on for free, and it is sure a good thing I am retired and not trying to make a living or get rich!

If you were to write down the caveats as you explain your process, and post them, it will be a matter of record that they were forewarned. That saves a lot of time explaining things individually, don't you think?
  • jangel, Itinkso, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#66 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

that is not the final product, is it? you know your shot, do great work, and posses skill far beyond most backyard extractors. I really dont care that my extracts are off in color, being rather dark is normal subcritical ethanol extraction. once the cannabinoid fraction has been isolated, anything up to 10,000 psi easy to get yellow. cant seem to get the money yellow. so I dont even try anymore to strive for a pale yellow oil vs oil that spanks. do you decarboxylate prior to extraction?

No I don't normally decarboxylate beforehand. It gives me a darker oil when I do though. Something about decarboxylation that darkens the color.

A fresh frozen gives even a yellower oil.
  • jangel, Itinkso, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#67 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

here is a question I had for anyone w knowledge in the area. mmj has sugars that arent extracted w a non-polar solvent. now when using a polar solvent , does it dissolve sugars that would render a syrup like effect from dabbing? carmel sort of gunking? or am i trippin?

Haven't noticed any thus far, but I will check specifically next ethanol extraction. What mostly I notice is how much more floral an ethanol extraction from dried material is than a butane extraction from the same material.
  • jangel, Itinkso and Blue61 like this

#68 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

No problem bro, most of us old farts are used to bold statements, and young folks pick up on them soon enough.

I admire innovation more than most, but extraordinary statements, require extraordinary proof, and you have yet to provide anything but bold statements.

How about that extraordinary proof? We are all eyes and ears, besides being willing, but just bold statements lose our attention fast.

Now you challenge us to visit you at our own expense to be enlightened. What an interesting plaudit.

I challenge you to offer enough proof that you have more than bold statements, and to stop wasting time throwing rocks at the competition.

Besides alienating them and turning them off to your message, it turns fame to infamy.

the 8% water was from the fully dried matrix unable to rid of that w out the addition of heat. i feel that by not decarboxylating first, its a possible source of undesired color. but i dont have a problem w color. its people who intend to sell to shops that insist on it being yellow. I take my average normally dark extract vs the best butane extracts around and not me saying i win, the newbie co2 extractor who brings their best stuff says I win. Im easy to find by my gmail. co2xtractr@gmail.com is a easy way to find and challenge my paper championship that I hold this undefeatable record. I'm up to challenge any butane extract, but may lose to a student I taught, or someone possesing more skill in the art of co2 extracts, but butane really gets blown away everytime. like dropped flies and a can of raid. come schedule a bout, I'm always up to the butane challenge.

#69 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, I answer a lot of questions at the computer and locally hands on for free, and it is sure a good thing I am retired and not trying to make a living or get rich!

If you were to write down the caveats as you explain your process, and post them, it will be a matter of record that they were forewarned. That saves a lot of time explaining things individually, don't you think?

now im not looking to get rich, but here is some bum who dedicated a large part of time, effort, studies, research all paid for by himself. this area is so heavily searched, by people who can afford my modest tutorial. when I gave the info freely, people said shut the funk up, i know not what I talk about, and it changed my willingness to just give away my expertise so that now that your paying money you will automatically do so w your attention. i am by no way rich or well off nor will be after having taught the next co2 extractor. but we need bho to keep the value of oil high. its just better this way. i would rather be known for the skill i brought to the table vs the guy who killed oil prices.

#70 co2xtractr

co2xtractr

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

Attached File  200 proof.jpg   58.73KB   6 downloadshey graywolf your oil is gold. at least in the solvent stage. i refer to my scfco2, because my experience is really noticable when any water is present @ the time of extraction, will form carbonic acid and create an udesired condition. really want to avoid the water percentage even as low or high as 5% because in a scfco2 it really plays a role where the water portion is amplified by the high psi and 5% can be a god send or fall short depending on personal standards. thus far a hexane ethanol mixture from a can is used with impressive results in several aspects have me consistantly using its formula as a co=solvent.

Edited by co2xtractr, 06 June 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#71 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

the 8% water was from the fully dried matrix unable to rid of that w out the addition of heat. i feel that by not decarboxylating first, its a possible source of undesired color. but i dont have a problem w color. its people who intend to sell to shops that insist on it being yellow. I take my average normally dark extract vs the best butane extracts around and not me saying i win, the newbie co2 extractor who brings their best stuff says I win. Im easy to find by my gmail. co2xtractr@gmail.com is a easy way to find and challenge my paper championship that I hold this undefeatable record. I'm up to challenge any butane extract, but may lose to a student I taught, or someone possesing more skill in the art of co2 extracts, but butane really gets blown away everytime. like dropped flies and a can of raid. come schedule a bout, I'm always up to the butane challenge.

8% retained water is not an unreasonable assumption. We dry our dried BHO material to under 10% to achieve enough frangibility to screen or freeze it to tie up the water. Removing all the water makes the material too brittle to handle, but except when our recycled butane gets saturated with water, or we over wash the material with too many cycles, we get good color.

When we do pick up green color, it is a light electric green hue to an amber extract, not the dark green associated with heavy chlorophyll content.

I also get yellow color from fresh frozen material with all of the water still in it. Non polar solvents like butane are far more forgiving than polar solvents like alcohol. See attached picture:

It is good to have faith in yourself and product, but on line challenges make the same wind through the rigging noises to most folks on forums, as bumping chests on line.

My point is that this is a forum for sharing information with other patients, and just sharing that you have a better product doesn't help them much.

What does help, is telling them how they can make a better product themselves, or at least go pick some up locally to sample.

Attached Files

• jangel, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#72 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

now im not looking to get rich, but here is some bum who dedicated a large part of time, effort, studies, research all paid for by himself. this area is so heavily searched, by people who can afford my modest tutorial. when I gave the info freely, people said shut the funk up, i know not what I talk about, and it changed my willingness to just give away my expertise so that now that your paying money you will automatically do so w your attention. i am by no way rich or well off nor will be after having taught the next co2 extractor. but we need bho to keep the value of oil high. its just better this way. i would rather be known for the skill i brought to the table vs the guy who killed oil prices.

I personally have nothing against folks getting rich, as long as no one gets abused. I have noticed that there are more poor MMJ patients, than wealthy ones though, so the market is thin.

Less discretional income makes the marketplace is a little different than the recreational one, where the toys and costs are justified by the joy it brings, as opposed to the relief.

More power to you if you can bring the MMJ patients an affordable oil, that is better than anything else out there.

In my opinion, oil prices are over inflated and are doomed anyway. I know of a number of Terpenator emulators being built or currently coming on line, and more and more folks are learning to make their own through forums like this, so they can no longer be abused.

Where equipment costs are prohibitive, but the process simple, several gang together, so simple Economics 101 tells us how the supply/demand relationship will push the pricing downward.

In my dotage, I have come to believe that we will be remembered as others perceive us, as opposed our own self image, or projected image. When we get old enough, it doesn't even matter whether we or someone else lies about us, because everyone already knows our strengths and faults.

• Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#73 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Attached File  200 proof.jpg   58.73KB   6 downloadshey graywolf your oil is gold. at least in the solvent stage. i refer to my scfco2, because my experience is really noticable when any water is present @ the time of extraction, will form carbonic acid and create an udesired condition. really want to avoid the water percentage even as low or high as 5% because in a scfco2 it really plays a role where the water portion is amplified by the high psi and 5% can be a god send or fall short depending on personal standards. thus far a hexane ethanol mixture from a can is used with impressive results in several aspects have me consistantly using its formula as a co=solvent.

An interesting complication! What effect does the carbonic acid have on the extraction?

What percentages of the hexane and ethanol do you find most effective, and at what pressure? How and why do you think they are making the process more effective?

Are you decarboxylating first to render the cannabinoids non polar?

Some of our applications call for cannabinoids in their carboxylic acid forms. Is SFE CO2 effective at extracting them in those polar forms?

What decarboxylation process are you using? What happens to the lighter mono and sesquiterpenes in the decarboxylation process and how does it affect their polarities?

PS: Shall we move this to the CO2 thread? I'll copy and post it there.

https://www.greenpas...co2-extraction/
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#74 Ramona760

Ramona760

Student for life

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi there, I happened on this thread a little late, but I am currently making some oil frpm a decarbed high CBD strain using Everclear 190. ( I ordered in over the internet and it was delivered to my home in CA) I started with about a pound that I soaked over a couple days and then pressed. I am currently evaporating it out. It's down to about 8 oz of liquid and will most likely end up with about 1/2 oz oil. I am keeping it on a low heat to evaporate it slowly , a mug warmer. Am I degrading the oil for doing this? I have tested other oils I have made and they came out very high about 30% CBD/and THC each. Also I heat soaked it in everclear for about 2 days, can I do it in a shorter time. It seems trichomes disolve much faster at least on my fingers, so do we really need to soak for hours? I hate the chlorophyl that can be absorbed as well. Sorry for the naive questions if they have been answered elsewhere. I have high CBD Pineapple Thai, Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami coming in this season and don't want to waste any of it.
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi, Graywolf and 2 others like this

#75 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

Do your first soak, more of a wash, really, about 1-3 minutes and you will get a clearer extract....then you can soak it longer in a second batch.....the longer the soak, them more chlorophylls and stuff is extracted from the plant matter...
Here is a link for the evap temps....

CANNABINOID, TURPENOID, AND FLAVOID PROPERTIES
Decarboxylation
My First Batch Of Iso Oil With Pics
Started by Lucky_Cat

muA
  • Tokecrazy, bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iso ethanol, hemp oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users