75 replies to this topic

#1 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

well, here goes my first post. I´ve read something about it but still wondering, thinking.gif thinking.gif what do you think? is it better one than the other to make the oil? why? thanks in advance
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

IMHO ethel over iso. i don't care what kind of equipment you use i feel there is residual crap left in the oil that is harmful to our bodies. You will hear a lot of opinions when it comes to this extraction method and which one s best. Bottom line ethel is a healthier choice than iso and can make just as powerful medicine. i'll shut up now
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

where are you located mckinnon?.....i ask because i'm in britain and its IMPOSSIBLE to get ethanol over here....i have some i managed to get in italy but it was seriously cost prohibitive to have it shipped here so i couldn't do it again....WAAAAYYYYYYY too expensive....so because of that i use 99.9% iso.....if i were given the choice i'd choose ethanol but i have none...so iso it is...
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

#4 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

If you swallowed a drop or two of iso (not suggesting you actually do it - please do not!), the answer would become fairly obvious. The stuff is nasty and will make you feel sick. Even just a drop or two. Larger amounts are quite toxic.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#5 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

thank you all for your answers! I´m located in south america Itinkso. Think I can get both so I´ll follow your advise for next one. That makes me wonder other thing: I already made the oil with iso and not sure all the alcohol to evaporate. First I left to evaporate without heat but next day I get tired of waiting and heated slowly till see a proper consistency and smell no alcohol. But I didn´t use after that the coffe warmer. A couple of people is already taking it. Should they keep on taking it? best
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and teddys head like this

#6 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

thank you all for your answers! I´m located in south america Itinkso. Think I can get both so I´ll follow your advise for next one.

That makes me wonder other thing: I already made the oil with iso and not sure all the alcohol to evaporate. First I left to evaporate without heat but next day I get tired of waiting and heated slowly till see a proper consistency and smell no alcohol. But I didn´t use after that the coffe warmer. A couple of people is already taking it. Should they keep on taking it?

best

if you made it with iso and you can smell it they SHOULD NOTbe taking it....get them to stop IMMEDIATELY mckinnon....ingesting iso is NOT good for you like dudz said...it has some horrific side effects...its only ok in a pinch like i'm in when your ABSOLUTELY sure the solvent is gone....get it back and get it onto a warmer until ALL the solvent is gone...its very dangerous sweetie...please get them to stop taking it straight away!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi and teddys head like this

#7 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi Tink, I meant I could not smell any rest of alcohol, but that doesn´t mean it is not there, does it? One o fthe people keeps oil in the freezer, changes anything? thanks again

Edited by McKinnon, 01 May 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#8 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi Tink, I meant I could not smell any rest of alcohol, but that doesn´t mean it is not there, does it? One o fthe people keeps oil in the freezer, changes anything? thanks again

LOL...oh sorry....my bad...i didn't read that properly....i can only speak from experience and mine won't be the same as anyone elses...but my dad took my iso oil for almost 2 years without issues and my best friend has been using my iso oil for 3 years now for a brain tumour with NO issues...as long as your ABSOLUTELY sure all the solvent is gone its fine...its not "ideal"...but its ok!!!...if you wanted to be safe i'd get it back and heat it up...if it doesn't bubble on the surface and its smooth like glass when heated you should be goodt to go...if your worried thats what i'd do...i wouldn't take the chance with a sick person..
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 1 other like this

#9 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Great Tink!! I´ll heat it up again just to be sure, have been a couple of days but was worried about it, thanks for your quick answer!! What about keeping it? freezer, fridge? none of them? And continuing with the ethanol, is 99º better? peace and health for all
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#10 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

i've always stored mine at room temp mckinnon...i find it too hard to work with when its cold or frozen...but i am a bit ghetto and don't really use syringes and stuff....i just have it in the cup i had on the coffee warmer and i hand the cup to my patient...he keeps it covered in a cupboard and thats it!! if i had a choice i'd use the ethanol over the iso.....as i said i only use iso because i don't have a choice!!....everclear if you can get it!!

#11 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

lol I wrote badly before, sorry :D . I meant everclear is 95% for example, does it make any difference using one with 99% or more? think I can get if it is better. One image better than 1000 words ;) Attached File  Everclear-580x435.jpg   77.52KB   2 downloads best

#12 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

i don't think you can get alcohol any better than 95% mckinnon....unless you go down the iso road...i'd stick with everclear...if i could scource it here it would be my first choice all the way...and most people would say the same!!!...the other 5% in the alcohol is just water and that will evaporate off...so defo everclear!!

#13 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

OK, understood then. With your permission I will let you know if I have any other doubt with the process, thx see you

#14 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

OK, understood then. With your permission I will let you know if I have any other doubt with the process, thx
see you

no worries sweetie i'm always around and about!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

#15 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Both produce an effective extraction, but we use ethanol for oral extractions and isopropyl or denatured for topical.

#16 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Very few people purge/purify their iso-extracted oil nearly enough for me to be comfortable ingesting it. 99% isopropyl alcohol does make great pipe/bong cleaner though. :)

Edited by Dudz, 01 May 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#17 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Mckinnon...there IS another way to extract the oil without using a solvent... here is the link to Stoned Rangers method :) https://www.greenpas...tical-cure-all/ muA

#18 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

hi all, thank you very much for your help. MediuseA, I´ll have a look to the other way for next time. At the moment, I already bought ethanol, here´s a pic, it is not grain alcochol but still ethanol, 99,5% is it right, isn´t it? health and peace 4 all

Attached Files

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#19 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I don't really speak that language, but it appears to be 99.5% ethyl alcohol (aka Ethanol) to me. Edit: It also appears to say something along the lines of "for laboratory use only" at the bottom of the label. I wanted to make sure and point that out, because I hate to assume that the other 0.5% is just water and not some other toxic chemical.

Edited by Dudz, 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

• bongbonghi, Graywolf, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#20 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't really speak that language, but it appears to be 99.5% ethyl alcohol (aka Ethanol) to me.

Edit:
It also appears to say something along the lines of "for laboratory use only" at the bottom of the label. I wanted to make sure and point that out, because I hate to assume that the other 0.5% is just water and not some other toxic chemical.

in the specifications it says:
Valoration............min 99,2%
Colour (APHA)......max 10
Water................... max. 0,3%
rest doesn´t seem to be important

I was told it was not toxic. I´ll use this but must be sure it evaporates all off

i will tell you the results

best
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#21 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Looks fine to me. You physically can't get 100% pure alcohol, so having water in it is expected. Since alcohol absorbs moisture right out of the air/atmosphere, it's perfectly impossible to contain it as 100% without a full vacuum. Evidently they have put some color in it too, so I assume it isn't clear?

Edited by Dudz, 02 May 2012 - 08:52 PM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 4 others like this

#22 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Both produce an effective extraction, but we use ethanol for oral extractions and isopropyl or denatured for topical.

oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 3 others like this

#23 McKinnon

McKinnon

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Looks fine to me.
You physically can't get 100% pure alcohol, so having water in it is expected. Since alcohol absorbs moisture right out of the air/atmosphere, it's perfectly impossible to contain it as 100% without a full vacuum. Evidently they have put some color in it too, so I assume it isn't clear?

I checked and it seems clear. I found this in spanish wikipedia, http://es.wikipedia....iki/Colorímetro
try to translate the colour APHA part

Colour APHA (American Public Health Association) is typically used to characterize the polymers with respect to the yellowing of polymers. APHA Colour or APHA number refers to a platinum-cobalt standard. Colorimeters can be calibrated by standard solutions of cobalt and platinum polymer solutions can be compared to standards to determine the number of APHA. The higher the APHA number, the more yellow the polymer solution. (Reference: The measure of respect, of the 2d ed., For the hunter and Richard W. Harold, Wiley, 1987, P. 211 and 214, Richard S.)

So maybe a little bit yellow ;)
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 3 others like this

#24 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

lol I am confused... we can use ethanol and it will be a healthier was of making oil... I can hardly understand a word above LMAO so any chance of keeping this as simple as simple can be...

have found denatured ethanol on amazon is this the stuff if not how about a link to the stuff that we should be looking for?

http://www.amazon.co...36034106&sr=8-1

not being funny but whenever this goes indepth and all sciency its a bit of a turn off LMAO well tis true... this thread has done me head in LMAO.. now I dont know me arse from me elbow and can argue I never knew in the first place....

in the states where is the best source to get ethanol and order online? as there are a few wanting to try the iso gig but if ethanol is better then hey ho...but these peeps as well as me get confused because it gets over complicated innit, :)

Edited by Lucky_Cat, 03 May 2012 - 02:55 AM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#25 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Use 190 proof 95% ethanol from grain or fruit.

Follow these directions and ignore the explainations of why and what is happening. http://skunkpharmres...wet-extraction/

If that is not simple enough, please feel free to ask questions?
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iso ethanol, hemp oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users