Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Can Leftover Pollen From A Hermie Make Other Plants Sprout Male Flowers As Well As Seeds?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

I had an issue with a Hermes plant about 4 months ago,didn't think pollen could he viable for that long,but I just Foucaultnd male fluorescencewers growingfrom a female plant that was NOT feminized.....and from a reputable breeder.....Im positive there's no light leaks,temps are fine,ph is perfect. So are these stray male flowers from pollen or stress? Noticed at beginning of week 6. Thanks :)
  • teddys head and Blue61 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

pollen CAN survive for months given the right conditions...so yes, it is possible your girls got had by the pollen around... tools, equipment and other gear also needs to be washed down to insure it's clean...are the seeds spread through the buds?...located in certain area's?...or perhaps just 1-5 seeds here and there through the bud? However pollen will not cause male flowers to form...it is the plant th@ does th@. looks like if you have flowers in your bud, you have a problem...are they regular bell like male flowers or the bananna looking ones? It's a process of elimination...it could be a light leak....or stress...or genetics....if you have eliminated environmental conditions as a cause then genetics are prob the answer. muA
  • KaK, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#3 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Pollen will only produce seeds in the female. The plant it self has a genetic will to reproduce and can throw a male flower even from the best breeders .
  • col.forbin, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#4 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

pollen CAN survive for months given the right conditions...so yes, it is possible your girls got had by the pollen around...
tools, equipment and other gear also needs to be washed down to insure it's clean...are the seeds spread through the buds?...located in certain area's?...or perhaps just 1-5 seeds here and there through the bud?
However pollen will not cause male flowers to form...it is the plant th@ does th@.

looks like if you have flowers in your bud, you have a problem...are they regular bell like male flowers or the bananna looking ones?

It's a process of elimination...it could be a light leak....or stress...or genetics....if you have eliminated environmental conditions as a cause then genetics are prob the answer.

muA

Sorry, i realized my post wasnt well written due to using my "smart" phone and its touch pad lol....there was a sentence with mispelled words and no gaps-i meant to say i found a few male flowers(single banana looking ones, by the way) sticking out of the buds. Also, didnt find seeds yet, just these stray male flowers.
  • teddys head likes this

#5 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Pollen will only produce seeds in the female. The plant it self has a genetic will to reproduce and can throw a male flower even from the best breeders .

ok, thanks. Im very confused to whats causing this...like i said ZERO lights leaks, ph i try to keep between 6.3-6.5 (i use soil). I took a long break, came back using same nutes and everything and have had hermie problems since i started again! I did wipe down everything before putting these in, but maybe i missed a spot?? Jillybean is the strain thats popping these nanners, which isnt feminized(dont think jillybean comes feminized) i really hope this plant doesnt grow beans or spread pollen,beacuse its been flushed and is an incredible smelling/looking plant.....oh what to do
  • teddys head likes this

#6 peacepipe

peacepipe

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi! I think there's some confusion (perhaps mine?): Pollen from some male flowers four months ago has nothing to do with some male flowers appearing on your plants now. You had some hermies four months ago, and you have some hermies now. That's another issue: either the seeds you planted both times have the tendency to produce hermie females, or something about the growing is causing your plants stress and making them go hermie, or they go hermie with a minimum of stress. If it was seeds from the same pack of jillybean you planted both times, good guess it's the seeds that have the tendency to produce the intersex flowers. If the male flowers only appear at the very end of the flowering cycle, and don't end up having time to do damage (make seeds appear), then it's no biggie.. Otherwise, if you're getting seeds in your weed because of these hermies, my advice would be not to bother growing this variety again. Pollen is the dusty stuff what blows/drops out of the male flowers, flies in the wind and lands on the female flowers' pistils (2 white thingies sticking out of female flowers), fecundates the embryo inside the female flower which grows into a seed. Pollen is usually only viable for a day or two once it leaves the male sacks, unless you freeze it to conserve it. Hope that helps.

Edited by peacepipe, 15 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

• col.forbin and teddys head like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users