Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo

Newbs First Crack At It....

newb lava rocks hydro great white shark lsd northern lights x big bud lemon sunk hand fed hand watered

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Toke won't steer you wrong HJ...... I was going to suggest the calmag but am not in a position to say diddly till I am more knowledgeable (don't hold your breath on that one... will take alot more time!)

Is the one that made it the BigBudXNL? I had started and lost a seedling of that many months ago (totally my newbie fault) and will be watching and keeping my fingers crossed that "she" bounces back and gets her grow on for you!!!

Best of luck and Be Well & Be High!!
:D

hey poet....

great to hear form you, thanks for checkin in....

sadly, no, the one that 'made it'.... we wont be saying that much longer.... was not the BBNL...

i too made a plethora of mistakes leading to lots of 'lessons learned'....

thanks again for checkin in...

-hvyjunk
  • Scooby likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#102 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

hey all.... so...its time to 'fold'em'... lol... i need to get my temperature under control... and then... continue down the check list of things i need to do a better job at lol... anyways... i will be beginning anew soon, germinating 3 at some time this week... probably start a new journal....seeing as it would technically be "newbs 3rd crack at it"... lol....man... thanks for all the help, advice, adn support with these last two ventures...It is greatly appreciated... i hope next time i can do better... I need a fresh start ... -hvyjunk
  • Scooby and KaeaneabisSativas like this

#103 KaeaneabisSativas

KaeaneabisSativas

Master Kae: Novice Canna-suer, Rookie Horticulturist...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts
  • LocationThe Only Place I'm Wanted or Accepted

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Keep it up, and it will keep itself contained... All is not a loss, as you gained more knowledge and a good education mate... We'll get em'next time!!! dancinggirl.gif
  • PoeticLife, Scooby and hvyjunk10 like this

#104 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

high man, i'm coming late to the party as i haven't been around in some time and i see you have been having some problems with your first grow, ...sorry to hear your first starts didn't make it, if it's any consolation i popped 30 bagseeds my first time out and managed to kill them all, ...so i started 30 more and, fortunately for me, 5 managed to survive my ineptitude and 4 turned out to be female so fed my head for over a year before i felt comfortable ordering beans online. in any event, over the last several years i have experimented with several different styles of growing and all have pros and cons and rather than try to list all of those pros and cons i'll just describe what i'm doing now and what i strongly recommend for ANY new person just starting out as it is the simplest, most forgiving method i've ever come across that also gives exceptional growth rates. ...the method i speak of is called 'hempy buckets' and is an adaptation of a passive hydroponics system that has been around for thousands of years and is named 'hempy' after the guy who introduced this tech to our community many years ago. basically all it is is a bucket with a single drainage hole placed about 2 inchs from the bottom of the bucket which leaves the bottom 2 inchs of your bucket as a passive mini-reservoir. ...here's a couple pictures of some Folger's cans i made into hempys which hold approx. 3liters of medium, in my case coco. Attached File  DSCI4473.JPG   112.18KB   4 downloads Attached File  DSCI4474.JPG   68.28KB   4 downloads i'm gonna have to split this into more than one post in order to share more pictures and if you want them removed from your thread just let me know, i don't want to jack your thread. bozo ...
  • Scooby and KaeaneabisSativas like this

#105 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

...ok, when hempy first introduced these to the community he was using a mix of perlite and vermiculite, i believe the ratio was 3 to 1, and he and many others grew with this mix with great results for years, ...many are still using this mix to good effect but hempy himself upgraded his method and switched to coco as a medium, which is what i prefer for MANY reasons, not least of which is it's ease of use. in any event, what you do is to fill the bottom, 'reservoir' portion of your pot with perlite, hydroton or maybe even lava rock will work, then you just fill the top portion with straight coco and you're good to go. ...if you just use straight coco all the way to the bottom your roots stay too wet, the coco needs to be seperated from the reservoir so just using perlite or hydroton in the bottom, because they have different properties than the coco, will provide that seperation. here's a couple pics of some i potted up into some 2liter coke-bottle hempys, i was growing in a small cab, SOG style at the time so no room for large containers. Attached File  DSCI4493.JPG   152.96KB   9 downloads Attached File  DSCI5110.JPG   192.29KB   9 downloads ...
  • PoeticLife, Scooby, KaeaneabisSativas and 1 other like this

#106 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

...now here's some pics of some i'm emptying after harvest that do a good job illustrating the inner workings of this elegantly simple hydroponic system. Attached File  DSCI0002.JPG   194.54KB   3 downloads Attached File  DSCI0003.JPG   170.27KB   4 downloads Attached File  DSCI0004.JPG   129.48KB   3 downloads ...as you can see, straight coco at the top and perlite in the bottom. ...
  • PoeticLife and Scooby like this

#107 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

...now, here are a couple pics of some clones that were placed in clear, 7oz cups of moist coco as cuts and are here rooted and being potted up into coke-bottle hempys. Attached File  DSCI4483.JPG   122.68KB   2 downloads Attached File  DSCI4490.JPG   53.92KB   2 downloads Attached File  DSCI4492-smll.jpg   98.52KB   2 downloads note that one has straight perlite in the res and the other is mostly hydroton, i'm moving away from the perlite and still searching for an alternative although the hydroton works quite well and is re-usable and relatively easy to clean. ...

#108 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

...anyway, like i said, i don't want to jack your thread so i'll wait until i hear from you before i load you up with pics you may not want. peace, bozo

#109 KaeaneabisSativas

KaeaneabisSativas

Master Kae: Novice Canna-suer, Rookie Horticulturist...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts
  • LocationThe Only Place I'm Wanted or Accepted

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

...anyway, like i said, i don't want to jack your thread so i'll wait until i hear from you before i load you up with pics you may not want.

peace, bozo

You can just downsize them, usually with the windows basic photo editor even...
I take mine in 6 pix, and just downsize to 25% of the original size... Fit like 15 or so pix sometimes...
Just a FYI, in case you wanted to know, and excellent info my man, has filled in blanks in a couple concepts I was hesitant to try until now...
Thanks a million mad-hatter's...
  • justanotherbozo and hvyjunk10 like this

#110 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

...anyway, like i said, i don't want to jack your thread so i'll wait until i hear from you before i load you up with pics you may not want.

peace, bozo

(hope you don't mind hvyjunk... am not hijacking.. just sharing/understanding new things from others) and btw.. lessons learned are good and add to knowledge... I hope the 3rd time works like a charm for you)

I swear I'm not stalking you Bozo!!! am on soaking up hempy knowledge and am lucky to see you dropping more tips!! Now learned I must get perlite and not do straight coco (thank you). It looks like its easy to clean off the perlite when all is said and done, so it wouldn't effect being able to re-use the coco as I do.

thank you for sharing your hempy knowledge with all of us!!

Peace :)
  • KaeaneabisSativas and hvyjunk10 like this

#111 justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

You can just downsize them, usually with the windows basic photo editor even...
I take mine in 6 pix, and just downsize to 25% of the original size... Fit like 15 or so pix sometimes...
Just a FYI, in case you wanted to know, and excellent info my man, has filled in blanks in a couple concepts I was hesitant to try until now...
Thanks a million mad-hatter's...

thanks for the tip on the pics although i see now that my pics will fit, i just can't do more than 2 or 3 at once, i didn't realize there was an 8meg limit.

...and i'm happy to help, if there is anything specific you'd like to know please just ask, i may not know the answer but i probably know where to find it, lol.

(hope you don't mind hvyjunk... am not hijacking.. just sharing/understanding new things from others) and btw.. lessons learned are good and add to knowledge... I hope the 3rd time works like a charm for you)

I swear I'm not stalking you Bozo!!! am on soaking up hempy knowledge and am lucky to see you dropping more tips!! Now learned I must get perlite and not do straight coco (thank you). It looks like its easy to clean off the perlite when all is said and done, so it wouldn't effect being able to re-use the coco as I do.

thank you for sharing your hempy knowledge with all of us!!

Peace :)

hey, stalk away, lol, you have any idea how long it's been since a lady has stalked this old stoner? ...lol, for real though, i'm happy to help if i can and i'd suggest hydroton rather than the perlite if you have it already, if not then the perlite will do nicely, ...it's just that with the perlite you can never get ALL of it free from the coco after harvey so, in time, your coco will become mixed, with hydroton or gravel it is much easier to seperate it from the coco.

btw, i also like the hydroton or gravel because perlite is so light-weight that my coke-bottle hempys were in danger of tipping over late in flower, lol.

anyway, i'm glad to help if i can.

peace, bozo

btw, you CAN use just coco but only if you use the coco chunks in the reservoir, being larger pieces you still get the seperation between the grow medium and the reservoir medium, ...they are different enough so you won't suffer from over watering.
  • KaeaneabisSativas likes this

#112 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

thanks for the tip on the pics although i see now that my pics will fit, i just can't do more than 2 or 3 at once, i didn't realize there was an 8meg limit.

...and i'm happy to help, if there is anything specific you'd like to know please just ask, i may not know the answer but i probably know where to find it, lol.

hey, stalk away, lol, you have any idea how long it's been since a lady has stalked this old stoner? ...lol, for real though, i'm happy to help if i can and i'd suggest hydroton rather than the perlite if you have it already, if not then the perlite will do nicely, ...it's just that with the perlite you can never get ALL of it free from the coco after harvey so, in time, your coco will become mixed, with hydroton or gravel it is much easier to seperate it from the coco.

btw, i also like the hydroton or gravel because perlite is so light-weight that my coke-bottle hempys were in danger of tipping over late in flower, lol.

anyway, i'm glad to help if i can.

peace, bozo

btw, you CAN use just coco but only if you use the coco chunks in the reservoir, being larger pieces you still get the seperation between the grow medium and the reservoir medium, ...they are different enough so you won't suffer from over watering.

then you deserve some stalking!!! lol
Don't have the perlite yet or hydroton thingy's,... but after seeing the word "gravel" I realized I do have bags and bags of white 1" or so rocks that were meant to be a pathway to my door (another project I am unable to do lol). Can I use them in the bottom resv? I can rinse the hell out of them now that is nice weather out... am assuming there could be powdery something on them, so very unsure of that. Will read the bag labels again!
The coco is quite costly where I get it from due to the weight of it and from the other end of the country... so need to try and re-use where i can.

I don't want to hog up his thread... so will possibly ask more ?'s in your thread if you don't mind that is :)

Be Well & Be high!!!

#113 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

peace, bozo

bozo...

hey thanks for stoppin by and sharing... great info... i appreciate your time and thoughts... if th is next grow fails, i might be lookin for a new method... we'll see...

thanks again

-hvyjunk
  • KaeaneabisSativas and couchpotatoking like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newb, lava rocks, hydro, great white shark, lsd, northern lights x big bud, lemon sunk, hand fed, hand watered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users