Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo

Newbs First Crack At It....

newb lava rocks hydro great white shark lsd northern lights x big bud lemon sunk hand fed hand watered

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#26 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

ha ha ha.... only checking every 13 minutes? here's a great read for you.... highly entertaining but true lmao

click on the link in my signature that says "A Must Read For New Growers" a good chuckle for sure! and yeah we all do it constantly!

have a great day!

poet.....that was great... in my short time doing this i can relate to some of it....i cant imagine another read after a harvest or two down the road.... i bet i would be in tears... lol

i loved the "if you leave its side, it will die immediately".... LOLOLOLOLOL...too funny...
then, you read for hours about 18/6, 24/0, 16/8 cycles.... classic...

thanks for the read... a good laugh to start the day...

-hvyjunk
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hey all….

Got a few questions for ya… I hope someone can help…

Details:
4x4 tent
T-5, 4foot, 8 tube.. I staggered the lights, only 4 are on...so they look like this in the 8 slots…. (-)(L)(-)(L)(L)(-)(L)(-)
Temps around 76-79f…. humidity is around 70% inside the dome
No nutes (except clonex at ½ recommended strength for the original soak of the cubes, none added since 4-14)
Distilled water at 5.8ph... none, 'added'...just used for misting

The seeds have been in cubes since 4-13 midnight…technically 4-14
… I try to keep the dome misted… I lift the cover for air exchange…
I also keep tiny vents on the side of the dome slightly open…
i have 3 fans moving air around the tent...just to moderate the temps... i dont 'fan' the seedlings..

Let me know if you need more info…

I am concerned about the look of the leaves on a couple… here are some pics…
I threw one in one that, to me, looks healthy.... which is what im comparing the less healthy looking one(s) to…

Attached File  4-19-2012 (2).jpg   48.28KB   6 downloads

Attached File  4-19-2012 (5).jpg   40.24KB   8 downloads

Attached File  4-19-2012 (3).jpg   51.76KB   6 downloads

my NEWB guesses are either…
  • too much water, as in the cubes haven’t dried out, I haven’t added to them… just misting the plant tops, tray, and dome...
  • too much heat… the temp is remaining fairly consistent…. However, I feel it’s a bit too high… my room temp is around 70f, so add in the equipment, and being up stairs...keeping the tent around 77-78 is tough...so far..

my ventilation isn’t the best right now… I am thinking of possible solutions before I go putting holes in walls, lol…I will certainly need to develop better ventilation plan for when I get the HID’s runnin…

any help is greatly appreciated... thanks

-hvyjunk

thought id ask today....lol... probably wont get any answers tomorrow... ;)
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#28 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

hey all so I removed the dome for a bit, raised the lights, redirected some fans, and made it my mission to reduce the heat… it looks to have paid off somewhat… by that I mean that the strongest one I had has continued to do well, and the others have become…it appears…. stunted… the strong one has finished its second set of leaves… and that second set of leaves is already larger than the FIRST set of leaves on 3 of the other 4 cubes… Attached File  4-22-2012 (7am) (1).jpg   55.46KB   7 downloads The other 4 seedlings have not yet begun to develop their second sets of leaves… im wondering, have I lost any chance with these… ?? they are still green… the crumpled and folded up leaves have relaxed and look normal… but they are not getting larger or developing new leaves… they all look similar in comparison to the largest... Attached File  4-22-2012 (7am) (2).jpg   62.82KB   8 downloads Attached File  4-22-2012 (7am) (3).jpg   63.99KB   6 downloads should I remove them and focus my efforts, time, and resources on the one that is doing well…?? if not.... how long is a fair amount of time to give the others before removing them?? any thoughts gp...?? -hvyjunk

#29 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

give them time m8 :)

great advice from all there keeping you right :Einstein:

imho i'd try and get them into your medium now before they get any taller :fly:

Health and happiness
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#30 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

give them time m8 :)

great advice from all there keeping you right :Einstein:

imho i'd try and get them into your medium now before they get any taller :fly:

Health and happiness

hey teddy...

i appreciate your time and thoughts...

ill take your advice...lol... i guess im just being impatient with the many... due to the progress of one... ill take my foot off the pedal and relax a bit... lol

i hadnt considered moving them yet... i was concerned about the height myself... but i thought i was supposed to wait until i saw lots of roots out the bottom of the rockwool...

the strongest one only has 3 little visable root tips near the bottom... even with so few roots, should i still move it??

Attached File  4-22-2012 gws roots 17.jpg   100.3KB   1 downloads

im ready and willing to move it...just worried cause its the only one that is making progress...

-hvyjunk

#31 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

ok.....

soooooooooo......

.... i should have set up and ran my tent/equipment for a day or two...before any seeds were even in a napkin... this would have given me the chance to "FULLY" create and understand... how to manipulate...the climate im trying to provide... instead im lookin at my therm every seven minutes wondering "what am i gonna have to do now" to get the temp back where i want it...

this would have helped me remember, ahead of time, that the sun sets on the side of my house that the tent is on, by a window, so i have to mitigate that heat...(only one room i can grow in)... plus its upstairs add 5 or more degrees... and lastly... the season is changing in my neck of the woods... we are getting heat waves, compared to our previous weather...

in sum.... if i had the tent set up and running i could have known how to set the climate and keep it where i wanted it...or at least known it was not good for plants untill i found a fix for it.....before subjecting living plants to... "hot tub, swimming pool, hot tub, swimming pool, hot tub" -like climate changes...

these poor plants... (sigh)...

so ill be adding this to my list of lessons learned...

i will always try to run my setup, room, tent, box, cab, etc. a few days in advance of plants to set and SUSTAIN my desired climate...

-hvyjunk

#32 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hi Hvy glad I caught this at the beginning looks like ya got tons of help,I got a trick for ya too.You can pick these up at just about any store,christmas ornament hooks $1.00 if ya go to the dollar store and 3/8 oz bullet weights from any fishing dept.They can be used to open up the plant for better light penetration or to control height,just a thought good luck on your grow.
  • Greenview, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#33 TommytRIMMP

TommytRIMMP

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Very sorry to hear that your grow went south Hvyjnk. Sounds like a tough place to have the tent set up and without AC and window heat blocking tint not much else you could have done. They looked healthy in my book. TT
  • Itinkso, teddys head and hvyjunk10 like this

#34 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi Hvy glad I caught this at the beginning looks like ya got tons of help,I got a trick for ya too.You can pick these up at just about any store,christmas ornament hooks $1.00 if ya go to the dollar store and 3/8 oz bullet weights from any fishing dept.They can be used to open up the plant for better light penetration or to control height,just a thought good luck on your grow.

bong...

hey! thanks for reading, and your post... i like that!!... i love how this journey can bring out the creativity in us, lol... my brain has been workin overtime tryin to solve problems im encountering lol... simple ones im sure, but new to me none the less, :) so its fun to figure things out...

-hvyjunk
  • Itinkso, teddys head and couchpotatoking like this

#35 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Very sorry to hear that your grow went south Hvyjnk. Sounds like a tough place to have the tent set up and without AC and window heat blocking tint not much else you could have done. They looked healthy in my book. TT

tommy

whats up...thanks for your post...

well, the grow, on a whole, isnt a bust just yet.... (yeah, like i know ...lol)...what i mean is, they are all still green, and the slower ones are gettin their second sets of leaves... i am down to 5... of the 7 i began with... one i ruined and it never shook its casing, and the other never surfaced... but all that formed leaves, are still with me... :)

the grow spot is the best for my situation, im a single father, i have two young children (8 and 6), who ask lots of questions, lol... and do lots of talking so i keep it in my room... out of their eyes... ive set up some "buffers" if you will to absorb, or be in between, the window and tent... it seemed to help...

and i forced myself to turn on the AC... in WA state we dont...well...i dont... need it till july/aug... and i love the fresh breeze... so i went around and covered all the air vents i could find in my house (now the 8 yr old is informing me all the vents are blocked and is asking why...lol) so all the cold air wouldnt get wasted in rooms with windows open... and presto... climate control... i just wasnt planning on this expense this early...or having to wear a jacket in my bedroom...lol

but, now that i have committed to the AC option, it looks like i shouldnt have climate issues much longer... although i will have to get serious about my exhaust... i need somethign before mid june or im in trouble...

-hvyjunk

#36 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Gp…gp… please help me…

Hey all… got a conundrum… I currently have 4 thermometers in my tent… two are digital… and send their data to receiver units… one of them is ‘cordless’… and the other sensor is tethered to the display….The 3rd thermometer is old school, so to speak…. As you can see, three thermometers are in the same area… the tray… subjected to all the same elements that the plants are, except the misting of course…lights are 20 inches away from the tray

Attached File  therms- 4-24 (1).jpg   84.1KB   3 downloads

Attached File  therms- 4-24 (2).jpg   77.66KB   4 downloads

A 4th therm… old school mercury style…. Is hanging at light level… by a wall not under the ights

Attached File  therms- 4-24 (3).jpg   74KB   3 downloads

Now really, this raises two questions…
1)... why do I need 4 thermometers?? Great question lol… yes, perhaps this is overkill... perhaps I have trust issues, lol........ and
2)... why the vast differences in readings?

All three read a different temperature… the old school therm reads around 78-80f…
The digital withOUT the cord… reads 69.9f…. the tethered therm reads 74.9…
The fourth by the wall, out of the lights reads 70f….

Now, all of these temps… are ok with me … and I have stuck my hand between the lights and plants at least 17 million times…only to feel a little, if any, heat at all… I guess I would be ok if they were all within 2-3degrees of each other, but a difference of 10.... as they sit right next to each other… that kind of bothers me…

any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice...(yes!! get rid of three of your thermometers... lol....)

they are all welcome and appreciated...

lastly, i will be 'attempting' to make a move to a 5 gal bucket today... lol...we'll see how that goes...
ill put up pics later...good or bad...

-hvyjunk

#37 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Transfer to 5 gal bucket…

Ok, so I have never done this… no one told me how…. I just kind of… ‘went for it’…. With that said, I probably messed it up… having this in mind, I only did one… that way if I was wrong, or I messed up something…. some saint could let me know, and I wouldn’t have ruined the others as well..

So hopefully I did decent… let me know if I missed something, did something wrong, “should” have done something…. Any of that… please…

So I rinsed the lava rocks good, 4 or 5 times… did my best to get the sediment and what not from the bottom of the bucket…I sprayed/soaked/moistened the perlite… rinsed off the powder

Attached File  transfer 4-24 GWS (4).JPG   130.88KB   5 downloads

In a 5 gallon bucket……

I filled the bottom 4-5 inches with lava rock… did a 1-2 inch layer of perlite… shook the bucket, let it settle in the nooks, and made sure I still had more than a 1 inch of a perlite layer…. Added 1 in or so layer of rocks, another layer of perlite…

Attached File  transfer 4-24 GWS (7).JPG   97.93KB   9 downloads

About 4-5 inches from the top, I placed the net pot on top of a layer of perlite…

(the net pot is a ‘5 in net cup’ it has about 1 in of perlite on the bottom, then the cube… I surrounded the thin stem with perlite to help support it.)

… lava rocks around the net pot, fresh, moistened perlite on top…kinda messy i know...

Attached File  transfer 4-24 GWS (8).JPG   109.33KB   7 downloads

…. Did I mess it up??.....

The obsession with the perlite here is mainly due to my fear of damaging the stem with a ‘coarse…er’ lol… material… I view the perlite as a safe alternative for support and ‘some’ moisture assistance for the cube and stem…if this is not true or correct, please fix me lol...

With all this said, im not sure I would do it the same… probably make a large mixing bucket or soemthign and try to get a true ‘mix’… instead of layers… however… I was not sure if the perlite would just settle at the bottom of the two materials and defeat the purpose of supporting the stem and aeration for the roots….

Alright… any help and advice is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated….gimmie the truth… lol

thanks all
-hvyjunk

#38 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

hi ya m8 :)

i'd say that the fact you have 4 different thermometers

in all different places,would account for it

,and there all made differently i would imagine ,I could be wrong happens lots lol lmao

up potting sure looks great :fly: we'll wait for others in da know to come along :)

Health and happiness
  • Itinkso, couchpotatoking and hvyjunk10 like this

#39 filespace

filespace

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

My 2 cents on germin seeds.... soak in h20 24 hours the seeds will sink to the bottom.. i plant then tap root side down in a grow cube (coconut fiber) put them on a heating mat. and under my lights 24 hrs (and Leave them alone) they will shed there seed cap when ready. on day 2 they are normally 2 inches high and caps off and pretty leaves developing. transplant.... fan on... and 18/6 lights.
  • Itinkso, teddys head, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#40 filespace

filespace

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

I would like to raise a few question for you to think about..

1. exactly what kind of hydroponic system are you planning on using, and do you fully understand how it works.
I ask only because of your use of lava rocks. your gonna have ph issues..... and the abundant amount of lava rocks you used...

i think you would be quite better off if you took a new 5 gallon bucket. with lid... cut out a opening for a 6 inch net pot. got some Hydroton pebbles (only fill the netpot surrounding the plant not the whole bucket). and small pump and a few drip emitters so that everything drips back into your res. in the bottom of the bucket. and a timer.. do not put faith in your ability to keep a schedule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c/p

It's sometimes difficult not to use generalities when speaking of some things. Like Lava Rock. When lava boils from deep in the earth, it's makeup is that of whatever it passes through and what it contains within that part of the earths layers.

Depending on the depth that the lava originates it can contain a wide spectrum of minerals. Here is a list of the layers of earth that volcanic magma can originate from or pass through. If the heat of the magma is enough, some of each layer can become integrated into the final "Lava" that you see in it's various forms.

Continental crust: depth of 0-75 kilometers

This is the outer part of the Earth composed essentially of crystalline rocks. These are low-density buoyant minerals dominated mostly by quartz (SiO2) and feldspars (metal-poor silicates). The crust is the surface of the Earth. Because cold rocks deform slowly, we refer to this rigid outer shell as the lithosphere (the rocky or strong layer).

Oceanic crust: depth of 0-10 kilometers

The majority of the Earth's crust was made through volcanic activity. The oceanic ridge system, a 40,000 kilometer network of volcanoes, generates new oceanic crust at the rate of 17 km3 per year, covering the ocean floor with an igneous rock called basalt. Hawaii and Iceland are two examples of the accumulation of basalt islands.

Upper mantle: depth of 10-400 kilometers

Solid fragments of the upper mantle have been found in eroded mountain belts and volcanic eruptions. Olivine (Mg,Fe)2SiO4 and pyroxene (Mg,Fe)SiO3 have been found. These and other minerals are crystalline at high temperatures. Part of the upper mantle called the asthenosphere might be partially molten.

Transition region: depth of 400-650 kilometers

The transition region or mesosphere (for middle mantle), sometimes called the fertile layer and is the source of basaltic magmas. It also contains calcium, aluminum, and garnet, which is a complex aluminum-bearing silicate mineral. This layer is dense when cold because of the garnet. It is buoyant when hot because these minerals melt easily to form basalt which can then rise through the upper layers as magma.

Lower mantle: depth of 650-2,890 kilometers

The lower mantle is probably composed mainly of silicon, magnesium, and oxygen. It probably also contains some iron, calcium, and aluminum. Scientists make these deductions by assuming the Earth has a similar abundance and proportion of cosmic elements as found in the Sun and primitive meteorites.

D" layer: depth of 2,700-2,890 kilometers

This layer is 200 to 300 kilometers thick. Although it is often identified as part of the lower mantle, seismic evidence suggests the D" layer might differ chemically from the lower mantle lying above it. Scientists think that the material either dissolved in the core, or was able to sink through the mantle but not into the core because of its density.

As you can see, the minerals can vary widely. Raw lava will almost always make for wild swings in pH, depending on it's mineral content as to if it goes high or low pH.

Mostly, it's the dust, not the solid chunks that create the fluctuations. When you buy lava that is intended for use in hydroponic systems, quite often the lava has been chemically treated and washed to prevent the pH swings

Lava that you might buy from Home Depot in the landscaping department is meant for use as landscape trim and it's pH is meaningless in that application. However, if you use it in hydroponic systems, unwashed, it will cause you a world of pH problems until it is cleaned by the system. I can tell you that I learned this the hard way.

Hydroton on the other hand is nothing more than clay that has been heated in a manner that makes it expand and become very, very porous, then washed in a neutral solution to remove any dust and is pH neutral at about 5 or so.

In terms of porosity, both lava and hydroton are near equals. Both are extremely porous and similar in weight,

The hydroton is a preferred media because of it's ease of use and smoothness. Lava should always be broken into pieces no larger than one inch and no smaller than 1/8th inch. This makes it both easy for root adhesion, air spacing and to prevent it from fouling your pumps and solution lines.

Both hydroton and lava provide support in near equal capability. Container size, shape and the amount of media that is held by the roots are what pertain to it's counter-weight or stability capabilities. The relationship between the height and weight of the above surface plant, the environmental considerations such as wind and the size of the root mass all have equal considerations also when thinking of stability.

Reusing either lava or hydroton is a matter of clearing it of dust that is clogging it's porosity. Boiling, like Ebbmeister said, is a great way to both sanitize it and clear it's cavities of organic matter and mineral dust.

#41 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

hi ya m8 :)

i'd say that the fact you have 4 different thermometers

in all different places,would account for it

,and there all made differently i would imagine ,I could be wrong happens lots lol lmao

up potting sure looks great :fly: we'll wait for others in da know to come along :)

Health and happiness

sup teddy!

lol..yea... i know... i guess im a bit neurotic sometimes...it all started when i didnt believe one of the readings, so i used another therm...then another...etc...a complete disaster lol... im just gonna remove all but one... thanks for posting!!

-hvyjunk

#42 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Filespace,

Thanks for reading, and your post!
I had done some reading on the lava, but I guess I missed that part, or was looking in the wrong places….my impression was the ph wouldnt be an issue…

So… THANK YOU!!!…. I appreciate your time and help… you have saved me time and money… thank you!

My original plan was to hand feed the nutes morning and night, with a slow water only drip throughout the “work day” hours… my plan called for the small little grodan cubes, but everytime I had money, they didn’t have the product, and vice versa… so the lava was my second choice…

I was trying to avoid the clay balls…. Guess im just tryin to be different… my curse… I should probably come to grips with the fact that there is a good reason ‘most’ people use them and just join the club…lol…

I did check the ph of the excess/runoff last night before bed, it was high, above 7… I had thought it was just residual from my rinse, and water from the perlite… I did buy the lava from the home depot, so im pretty sure it is not the “treated” kind you spoke of… glad I kept the receipt…lol…

Your way sounds a much easier… lol… it does, I can admit that… and your bucket sounds ‘lighter’ as well lol… cant lie, im contemplating a change in strategy...lol…

I’ll certainly take your advice and im gonna get a different medium…no questions asked...

Please correct me if im wrong….
The seedling in the 5gal bucket now….should still be ok…right?? Seeing as the cube it is in, is sitting in a net pot surrounded on all sides by perlite…. Not touching the lava rock… also the drippers are watering the perlite and cube before they get to the rock, so it ‘shouldn’t’ get any bad joojoo from the rocks runoff right…??

Thanks again filespace I truly appreciate your time and help!!

-hvyjunk

#43 filespace

filespace

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I constantly rethink what im going on a daily basis...lol
your plant should be ok... you'll notice a change in appearance when shit hits the fan..so to say.

Is this your first grow ever? first hydro grow? how many plants do you have growing?

take a peak at this..

https://www.greenpas...ana-grow-13hrs/

Edited by filespace, 26 April 2012 - 11:38 AM.

• Itinkso, teddys head and hvyjunk10 like this

#44 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

I constantly rethink what im going on a daily basis...lol
your plant should be ok... you'll notice a change in appearance when shit hits the fan..so to say.

Is this your first grow ever? first hydro grow? how many plants do you have growing?

take a peak at this..

https://www.greenpas...ana-grow-13hrs/

filespace...

whats up!

yeah...looks like ill be making a shift...of some kind... yes, this is my first grow...ever... my first post in this journal gives, in my opinion, a pretty decent layout of whats up with my plan, etc....

i started with 7 seeds, one didnt surface, another wouldnt shake its casing.... the other five... did ok... considering the conditions i subjected them to early on... too hot, too much water... all but 1 seemed to stall... the others have slowly moved forward... slowly...

i lost one yesterday... and when the lights kicked on this morning.... another had begun the same behavior as the one which died yesterday... it looks like its gonna go too... (sigh)...i had used supports, to help them stay up, but it didnt help this one... and caused a bruise on another... sooo...????? i think their height is due to another error of mine in the germ process... but i dont know for sure
Attached File  4-27-12 (4).jpg   55.4KB   1 downloads

i opened up the rockwool on the dead one to see what the roots looked like, they were almost non existant...adn what was there, was dried up... so my guess is they never really got established... but, i could be wrong....

my strong one isnt looking so strong lol... bit droopy and light green...
Attached File  4-27-12 (1).jpg   64.43KB   2 downloads

Attached File  4-27-12 (2).jpg   63.07KB   1 downloads

i will probably start a few seeds here in a day or so.... give it a second try... i wont be making the mistakes i made in the first time in the germ phase.... and i now have my temps under control so they wont get thrashed by 84f heat anymore.... this next batch should be much happier than this bunch...

with that said.... im not giving up on what i have now... im just not sure what to do for them... they all showed signs of over-watering... so i let the cubes dry and net pots dry.... and that didnt help... thats when i lost the first... by the end of the day it was done....

Attached File  4-27-12 (3).jpg   68.07KB   1 downloads

the three remaining all have firm stems...they hae been given NO NUTES yet.. they are about 14 days old..... it just looks like i really stressed them to begin with and they have had a tough time gettin goin ever since....lots of lessons learned in the last few days...

this one looks decent... its the "big bud x northern lights" ...but still behind for 2 weeks old...right??? or am i expecting too much and need to be more realistic....
Attached File  4-27-12 (5).jpg   54.72KB   1 downloads

i like that movie... he has a couple right? ive seen a few withh him in them...i think....
the link had something odd about it... here is one i found it at...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6GhtrgxJ8&feature=related

alright....any thoughts?? what am i messing up??

filespace....Thanks again for reading and posting ...i really appreciate it...

-hvyjunk

edit--- i really just wanted to post the link, not a viewer....sorry, not sure how that happened...

Edited by hvyjunk10, 27 April 2012 - 05:53 PM.

• Itinkso and teddys head like this

#45 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

hey all

so, i made some changes... lol...hope they work.... (story of my life lol)

... and then there were 3...these are 14 days old...so i went ahead and moved the last to a net pot... they are in perlite, and sitting in about 3/4 in of floragrow at 50% strength....this is the first nutes of any kind...BESIDES root solution the cubes soaked in....also, i removed the drippers...

this is just to get ...ME... by...untill i the 1st... then i can get the pumps etc...the idea filespace suggested... thanks again!

the solution is changed out every 18 hours... no reason on the time.... just wanted it less than 24, and figured i could change it when the lights came on adn before they went off... ya know...lol...seeing as i am now on the 18-6 cycle too lol....

i hooked up an air pump, and cut lines to run air to the tray... the 3 have been in this since about 5pm yesterday...

Attached File  4-28-12 just to get by (3).jpg   80.9KB   4 downloads

Attached File  4-28-12 just to get by (4).jpg   105.32KB   4 downloads

i see some imporovement...or what i 'think' is improvement...lol... in what had been the strongest... from the pics just a day before i posted yesterday...heres this morning...

Attached File  4-28-12 just to get by (1).jpg   55.52KB   2 downloads

Attached File  4-28-12 just to get by (2).jpg   55.81KB   1 downloads

thoughts?? comments?? advice?? suggestions?? lol...

all for now...

-hvyjunk

#46 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

took these aorund 830 pm or so... after i changed the water.... Attached File  4-28 9pm (1).jpg   101.04KB   3 downloads Attached File  4-28 9pm (3).jpg   83.46KB   5 downloads -hvyjunk

#47 filespace

filespace

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

i see improvement.. I hate it when one of my little green martian babies kicks the bucket...

but it seems you have mixed the DWC method with an EBB and Flow setup...

with an air pump....you let the roots hang 100% submerged into the solution and let the bubbles from the air stone bubble around the roots to provide o2

with a tray you normally pump nutes to fill the tray and coat the roots/medium then when the pumps turns off the nutes flows backwards through the pump back into the res. you should be able to get about 10 days worth before needing to change the solution....

now do you also have a ph meter and a TDS meter? these are very important when going soilless!!
http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_lg_1

http://www.amazon.co...35797171&sr=1-1

remember your medium is there for you roots to grab a hold of and create a support structure for the plant.

i think your problem was lack of nutes...i could be wrong. but i had 2 weak seeds this year that didnt devolop enough root to make it through the grow cubes but they were saved with some nutes proir to a transplant from my seed trays.

Edited by filespace, 30 April 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#48 filespace

filespace

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

for shits and giggles..... it seems strange that i can grow marijuana. one of the most difficult plants to grow according to some people. but i cant keep an aloe vera plant alive to save my life...WTF? LOL

#49 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

i see improvement.. I hate it when one of my little green martian babies kicks the bucket...

but it seems you have mixed the DWC method with an EBB and Flow setup...

with an air pump....you let the roots hang 100% submerged into the solution and let the bubbles from the air stone bubble around the roots to provide o2

filespace...

whats up! lol...yea, i have mixed some things up lol... i will move these to a 5gal dwc set up... with the reaction i have gotten from the strong one...

Attached File  5-1 (1).jpg   94.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5-1 (2).jpg   100.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5-1 (3).jpg   85.59KB   1 downloads

Attached File  5-1 (7).jpg   82.01KB   1 downloads

i will proabbly do this with my seeds, after surfacing.... and i 'plan' to use this for clones as well... then straight to dwc... i am inexperienced, and this may be wrong, or dumb...but my thoughts lead my to assume... lol...(already sounds bad lol).... that as long as I change that solution daily... which is probably overkill.... then i shouldnt have alge issues or anything of that nature... sure ill beusing more water/nutes but the roots of the strong one tell me they like it... hard to say no to this....

Attached File  5-1-2012 (2).jpg   96.68KB   1 downloads

when all my others look like this... lol....

Attached File  5-1 (5).jpg   103.25KB   1 downloads

after having a ...much needed... heart to heart, with the helpful and trusted staff of my local hydro store... decided the dwc would be the way to go... hope it works for me...

i was swayed by the line...."your roots may end up getting caught in the pump." and I didnt need to hear much else.... im sure there are remedies for that issue... just seemed like "not introducing" that issue would be best for me...

-hvyjunk

started 3 more seeds tonight.... 2 lsd....1 gws....

this go round 'should' be MUCH better....

Edited by hvyjunk10, 01 May 2012 - 04:12 AM.

• Itinkso and teddys head like this

#50 hvyjunk10

hvyjunk10

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

now do you also have a ph meter and a TDS meter? these are very important when going soilless!!

I do... (tds??) i got ph and a ppm one...

im kind of lost on the ppm one though... when i bought it, i guess i didnt ask the best questions... i just kind of said, "hey, dont i need one of those ppm things?".....( sad, i know... )

i tried to use it the other day for the first time and didnt really get it... i was under the impression it should read one thing.... but....(drum roll).... it didnt... lol...

it read some number much smaller than the 1382 or whatever the package said it was to read...lol...
this is my fault for not knowing... i am sure i have alot of reading ahead of me....a reoccuring theme ..

-hvyjunk
  • Itinkso, teddys head and kittypup like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newb, lava rocks, hydro, great white shark, lsd, northern lights x big bud, lemon sunk, hand fed, hand watered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users