#1 papaSmurf

papaSmurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Europe

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hey guys!

First of I would like to give a big up to all passionate growers, which dedicate their time and all other needed resources to this plant! For some time now I've been thinking about growing myself and the decision is final ā€“ I will grow! As any responsible human being I did a whole lot of research before even buying anything and I've came to some conclusions, which I'd like to share with experienced growers in hope you'll be able to guide me and give your feedback.

I will be growing in my bedroom with approval of my flat mate, but I would nonetheless like to keep my growing space as stealth as possible. Where I come from there is no such thing as medicinal marijuana ;) I've been smoking for 15 years or so and I grew tired of overpaying for bad quality street weed! So here is my planned setup:

Space

All together: 40cm(1.3ft) depth X 80cm(2.6ft) length X 160cm(5.25ft) height
Grow/vegi (upper left space): 40cm(1.3ft) depth X 50cm(1.65ft) length X 50cm(1.65ft) height
Equipment (upper right space): 40cm(1.3ft) depth X 30cm(1ft) length 50cm(1.65ft) height
Flowering (bottom space): 40cm(1.3ft) depth X 80cm(2.6ft) length X 110cm(3.60ft) height
*Look at the attached picture

Lights

I decided the best thing for me are the CFLs, since this is my first project and I really don't want to burn anything, it's supposed to be for personal use so the yield doesn't have to be in kilos and it will help reduce the electricity bill. Please comment on the CFLs number and placement.

Grow (vegi): 4x23W CFL (cool/bright white) 6500*K + 1x23W CFL (warm/soft white) 2700*K
Flowering: 4x23W CFL (warm/soft white) 2700*K + 2x23WCFL (cool/bright white) 6500*K
*Different Kelvin specter helps cover the whole specter, not just one. But one is still dominant.

CFLs in grow are going to be stationary, but the ones in flowering box will be fixed on a board which will hang from chains on both sides for optimal lightning during different growth stages.

Venting

I saw someone promoting the Panasonic Whisper Fan and I'm willing to buy it, since it's supposed to be really quiet. I will also make my own active carbon filter on top of the outtake Panasonic ventilator. So my first two questions are, can I put the ventilator and the filter in the equipment space and how strong does the ventilator have to be (is the 80cfm enough)? I was thinking of two smaller intake ventilators in the equipment box, one intaking the air from grow box and the other from vegi box. This air would then go through Panasonic Whisper Fan and filter to outside of the whole box.

Timers and electricity should not pose any trouble. Everything will be stored in the equipment space.

And the last thing ā€“ what strain to use based on the facts that I'm new to growing and the dimensions of the box? I was thinking about sativa, since Iā€™m looking for a day smoke and head high not a couch lock effect. I would really like to switch to clones after my first seeds, so the split growing and flowering space is pretty much a must for me. I was also playing with the idea of growing two sativa plants ScrOG style. Your thoughts?

Thank you so much for taking the time and reading yet another newcomers attempt to grow. Hope you can give me some guide and comment on my endeavourer. And please forgive me for any spelling and grammar mistakes; English is not my mother language.

Peace!

Attached Files

• Attached File  box.jpg   28.13KB   18 downloads

• bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21370 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

In general it looks pretty good though I would add at least 2 more CFL's, more light will be better. On the fan, I've seen people who have tried them and like them but I have no first hand experience.
  • bongbonghi, teddys head and PoeticLife like this

#3 papaSmurf

papaSmurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback KnuckleDragger, I'll use 8 CFLs in flowering box and 6 in vegi box. Will that suffice? And any imput on strains and ScrOG method, based on what I wrote? I saw and read a thread meant for sponsorship, is that still active? I'd like nothing more then to have someone I can bug 24/7 - just kidding :D But it would be nice to know you have someone you can direct your questions to (not on daily basis of course, just for time to time advice). Truely an amazing site and the level of collaboration is sky high!
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and teddys head like this

#4 OrangeSkunk

OrangeSkunk

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

also look into the soler & palau td silent, i have one, its not silent but its definitely not as annoying as other blowers.

Edited by OrangeSkunk, 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM.

• bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, teddys head and 1 other like this

#5 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

Eh up Smurf... your on the right road for sure, only thing I would do differently is the flowering light, if your willing to pay x amount of dosh on extraction (which is good) then I think you should be able to handle a 250w hps in there for flowering, as for the fans being silent, the only way to truly know is to test one out, it is said a bigger fan on a speed controller will move more air and be quieter than a smaller one on full pelt 24/7... lights and ventilation or the two most important things and although I know peeps who have grown well with the cfls, watt for watt they will not even come close to yield a hps lamp would give you and thats the gig isnt it? we want to grow as well as we can and get as much bud as we can.. no idea what part of europe you is in but know there are some nice fans with speed controller at me muckers shop in Barcelona.. am sure they could sort something out, also google about the fans and hit the discussions option in google and go on a hunt, am sure I have read that the td-silent is not that silent compared to a bigger fan moving lots more air on a lower speed.. will have to check.. hope this is of some help and seriously for flowering in your space, I would be whacking a 250w hps in there.. if you go bananas on your extraction then I would even consider the lumateck dimmable 400w ballast.. handy in winter when you may have days/weeks/months of being able to run 400ws... extraction is key and the better the extraction, the more options you open up.
  • bongbonghi, usstoner and teddys head like this

#6 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

hi ya papaSmurf :) stealth is the only way guitar.gif

sound advice from all :Einstein:

cfl's do work but the hps is the job imho :party:

check out growing with cfl's here

check out our lsting by our lovely jangle here

a great strain guide from our KD here

and top and bush by our MCOne here

don't panic we'll get you there :banana:

Health and happiness
  • bongbonghi, usstoner and OffDaBaba like this

#7 papaSmurf

papaSmurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I totaly understand the "more is better" principle about the lightning, but I'm trying my best to avoid cool tube. And if want to grow sativas I'll need all the space I can get, plus I don't need it for commercial purposes. If you have the time, can you please check the dimension of my grow box (lower box is supposed to function as flowering space; 40cm(1.3ft) depth X 80cm(2.6ft) length X 110cm(3.60ft) height) and tell me the maximum height of my plants if I use 250W HPS and would I need a cool tube and seperate ventilation for it? I was also thinking about ScrOG method which would eliminate my height problems, but there's still the cool tube issue and me being a beginner (I don't think I can handle ScrOG for my first grow). Is there any common ratio of yield between CFL (10x23W, cca. 1400L per bulb) and HPS (250W)? I checked the CFL tutorial, but it only shows Lumens per Watt for CFLs. And what kind of yield are we talking in my case (I know it depends on a lot of factors, but let's say 1. I do two sativas ScrOG style, 2. I do 8 indicas normaly, both soil grow and no organics)? I hope I'm not to demanding in my inqusitions.
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, usstoner and 1 other like this

#8 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

hey up papasmurf :)

if you take about 1 ft for the bucket ,and have your net on pretty quick

you should be able to keep the canopy at ,2ft /2half foot

leaving you about 1foot and half to play with

anything can be grown if you hold it down, by what ever means are to hand drums.gif

honestly the scrog aint as complex as you'd think ,just a matter of weaving in between the netting

we'll keep you right here laserGP.gif

check out my colombian gold i lsted her no other way imho colgold guitar.gif

Health and happiness
  • bongbonghi and Lucky_Cat like this

#9 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

dang I read it as the height being 5ft for some reason.. .. 3.5 ft can see where your'e comming from.. best of luck with it.. cfls will do the trick.. good shout from ted there about scrogging. :)
  • bongbonghi and OffDaBaba like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CFL, First grow, Stealth grow, Soil grow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users