• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nyteckgreen

nyteckgreen

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hello everyone :) I am wondering if I do something wrong in the curing process. Even the most fragrant plants wind up, when dried, having a vaguely lawn-grass smell instead of the aroma I expect out of kind bud. I chop them, remove leaves, hang upside down in a paper bag in ventilated area. When they are dry (twigs snap clean after 10 days or so) I move them to glass jars. In spite of this, I keep being disappointed by the cured aroma about 8 times out of 10. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

If your herb is allowed to dry fast youll notice that the terpenes will be alot less noticable , hence the lack or flavor and aroma . The green grass clorphyl odor is normal with some strains even when allowed to dry slow and even .. I have seen the most delectible meds ruined by a forced 3-4 day dry , no curing takes place after a complete dry . .Youll find that leaving some moisture in the stem will allow it to retain its fresh aroma and more terps thus allowing a true cure to take place in a sealed container after sweating is done ..

If this is somehting you notice continously with a strain then you have no choice but to accept or disregard ! I have always thrown out those that are lacking on the terpene and flavor area unless its just so potent that its ok to taste and smell like lawn clippings ..........Best of luck on your quest ........PPS
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

If your herb is allowed to dry fast youll notice that the terpenes will be alot less noticable , hence the lack or flavor and aroma . The green grass clorphyl odor is normal with some strains even when allowed to dry slow and even .. I have seen the most delectible meds ruined by a forced 3-4 day dry , no curing takes place after a complete dry . .Youll find that leaving some moisture in the stem will allow it to retain its fresh aroma and more terps thus allowing a true cure to take place in a sealed container after sweating is done ..

If this is somehting you notice continously with a strain then you have no choice but to accept or disregard ! I have always thrown out those that are lacking on the terpene and flavor area unless its just so potent that its ok to taste and smell like lawn clippings ..........Best of luck on your quest ........PPS

Agreed!

Hanging for 10 days is probably excessive unless you have really high humidity. It's probably getting too dry and not allowing a slow cure.
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#4 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

P.S. forgot to note that Relative Humidity below 45% will generally be to dry to ensure a even slow dry .
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#5 nyteckgreen

nyteckgreen

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Ah! You guys are enlightening me! It didn't occur ot me I could be hanging it for too long. So you think I should put them in jars before they are fully dry? After how many days? Wouldn't I be risking mold because of moisture gathering in a closed jar? Thanks :)
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#6 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I hang for less than a week and then jar it up. Then burp the jars daily by opening them up for a few min then closing again. This will allow any remaining mosture to even out from the stems to the Bud. Burping daily will reduce the chance of mold as you will allow excess mosture to escape during the daily burps. After week 2 you can go a few days between burps of the jars.
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, Dudz and 2 others like this

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

You don't leave it in a closed jar. That would certainly cause mold if it wasn't real dry first. Here's what I do: Trim and then hang until you can break the stem but it doesn't just snap completely off real easy. Then snip off all the buds and put into jars. Seal the jars and check on them frequently to figure out how long it takes for the outside of the bud to feel fresh/moist again. Then "burp them" (leave lid open) for a while until the exterior of the buds start to feel dry again. Seal them back up and repeat. In the beginning, this could be several times per day depending on how dry they were when you started ...and the temp & humidity. What this is actually doing is sucking the moisture from the center of the buds and stem and relocating it onto the exterior of the buds. When you burp them, you are expelling a lot of that moisture into the atmosphere. When you seal them back up, it starts pulling from the center again, and so on. Keep repeating this process. As time goes on, you will be able to leave the jars sealed longer. Once they finally get to the point where they remain dry enough after being sealed, you can leave them sealed up for storage. I still recommend checking them now and then though just to be sure. I've yet to do it, but I can imagine the feeling of discovering an entire jar (or a crop of jars) full of moldy meds.

Edited by Dudz, 17 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

#8 nyteckgreen

nyteckgreen

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys :) I will take it to heart!
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and Blue61 like this

#9 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I do the same as Paw and Dudz, but with a tiny twist. I like to take all of the bud out of the jars and put it back in once a week or so in the beginning. That way if there are any sticking together with some moisture, they'll come undone and not have a chance to get any mould growing. I keep mine in the dark, too.
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and Blue61 like this

#10 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I do the same as Paw and Dudz, but with a tiny twist. I like to take all of the bud out of the jars and put it back in once a week or so in the beginning. That way if there are any sticking together with some moisture, they'll come undone and not have a chance to get any mould growing.

I keep mine in the dark, too.

Excellent point!
I forgot to mention that I don't fill the jars all the way up during this process. More like 2/3, so I can make sure that isn't happening. Taking it completely out of the jar is probably an even better practice.
  • Desiderata, Itinkso, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

#11 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I def air dried my first harvest too long and learned., but didn't realize the burping when on daily for two weeks! am glad I know now! I have removed bud from the jar due to moisture... prob with stoners is ya gotta remember which one goes back into which labeled jar roflmao 'cmon it can't just be me lol great question.. taking more notes again.
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#12 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I feel like we're sitting on oak barrels talking about when to turn! Oh yes, fine, fine is mine! .....well, for the first round at least! lol
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

#13 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Link in my sig for a good method of drying/curing buds. muA
  • Turf and Itinkso like this

#14 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1996 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

in my honest opinion.... that "green grass" smell is Nitrogen. a sign of an overly fed girl. i dont have a gas chromatograph to prove or verify this, but i sure believe it. i would re-asses my feed program and try to limit fertilizer application near the end. Nitrogen is volatile as dry plant matter, and will get reclaimed in the nitrogen cycle through the process of denitrification. in large quantities, i believe it gives us the green grass smell. good luck!

Edited by Turf, 08 June 2012 - 10:19 AM.

• Itinkso and SweetCheebs like this

#15 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ya know wh@ turf? :I agree: ....I can agree with your theory....when I used to feed right up to harvest I got th@ all the time...since easing off towards harvest I have not had th@ 'cut lawn grass' smell in my buds...and giving the plant a decent time to 'fade' has also helped...
'Fade' being a cessation of nutes in the last week to 10 days, letting the plant draw wh@ nutes it can from the sunleaves and prob stems and roots.

#16 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:12 AM

Sort of thinking, aside from the cure: Maybe, it is your smeller! Is this with all strains? I recently read some article: WWW.CannabisTimesMagazine. com: Page 10 and 11:(have the hard copy and no scanner). "CANNABIS FRAGRANCE IS MORE VALUABLE THAN ITS NAME": by matthew J. Cote If a mod could link it in, if found relevant?? shrugsmiley.gif I've smelled many that smelled like hay to me, in the dispensary. In fact, I have some Jack Herrer, I think it is more like a grass(kentucky) and a friend of mine just raves about it. Not sure we all smell the same things. Maybe we do smell the 'same' thing, but the chemicals in our heads: Choose the correct strain for our medical needs??? Just tossing it out there? In the collectives you are allowed to smell, prior to purchase. If in a legal state, go to a collective and compare? :wub: pr volume I edition 14 of cannabis times

Edited by painretreat, 11 June 2012 - 01:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users