Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stand-Up Shower Ro Set Up Guide By Rooster

filtration reverse osmosis water reservoir pump rubbermaid hydrologic stealth stealthro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hey there GP family Rooster here with a how to on a cheap and easy RO set up that will keep you in stock with up to 50 gallons of clean RO water for your lil girls daily. I am sure someone has covered this but I am enjoying this stuff so here it is lmfao. I did a search for "shower reverse osmosis" and nothing came up on the site so hope it helps someone. We never use our stand up so this is the perfect solution and even though not necessary its very stealthy as this is in our master bedrooms bath. I would have had RO a long time ago if I had known how simple and inexpensive could be. I always stayed away until now when I really had no choice because I thought it was expensive and a pain in the butt. But I lifted the insert tray on our clones and the water that had evaporated left a thick grey film on the bottom. I know this isn't good for the plants and figure it is causing the spots on my veg girls. So I was very happy when I had this thing up and running with aeration and auto float shut off in around 2 hours and for about 3 bills. You could do this a bit cheaper if you shop online or got a different RO system. I like name brands and I like to have what I need in hand when it comes to these things so I shop locally. It usually costs a bit more but I feel the input into local small business is good Karma and I am not afraid to tell the local hydro store owner what ebay is charging!! That usually gets me pretty close to the internet price. It doesn't hurt to pay in CASH either LMFAO. So with that in mind this exact set up can be had for $300 or less. Lets start with the stuff I bought from the local Hydro store. Hydrologic RO100, Hydrologics 1/4" floatvalve, Ecoplus ECO185 water pump, Ecoplus ECO air 1 plus air pump, 1 ecoplus medium round airstone, 5'- 1/4'' airline, and 15'- 1/2" black tubing. From Lowes I bought the adaptor for the shower head and a roll of plumbers tape. Wal-mart had the heaviest duty and largest capacity garbage can in our price range. Tools used were simple as well. Crescent wrench, vise grips, screw driver, soldering torch, skill saw and a drill. So heres the pic of the parts and location and I will just ad posts for different steps Hope it helps thanks for checkin it out, Rooster

Attached Files

• Itinkso, teddys head and OffDaBaba like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

The first thing I did was remove the shower head using the vise grips and replace it with the adapter from Lowes. Followed by the supplied connection hose from the ro100. Using the plumbers tape is a real good idea. Next...Ok I didn't mention this in the parts because I just had this laying around but to do this exact build you need some plywood cut with the skill saw to mount your RO system to using 2 wood screws. The first thing I did was cut the board and place it in the shower unit. Then made sure it was tall enough to allow access to the filters without removing the reservoir. Then I measured for the mounting screws and used the drill to put the screws in place. After that I mounted the RO100. Side note the hydro shop owner informed me that most RO systems use 65 psi water pressure and 75 degree temps to get the advertised flow rate. So in reality unless you meet these standards you only get around half. So this 100gpd system at my house is really only good for about 50gpd. Bummer. You can get a pressure helper pump but I only need 32 gallons at a time at the most so this is fine for me. So here are the pics up to here.

Attached Files

• Turf, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Next was to set up the RO itself. This was way easier than I thought it would be. The input hose was first and was connected using the crescent wrench and some plumbers tape. The instructions said to do this last but I am a rebel lmfao. It was easy remove the nut and slide it over the end of the white hose from the shower head. Tape the threads on the inlet off the ro100. Then push the hose into the inlet, slide the nut up and thread it on. Tighten with the crescent. The Black waste hose and blue pure water outlet hoses were as simple as push in and your done. The Waste goes into the shower drain and the blue to the reservoir. Now your ro is read for charging and flushing. Just turn the cold water i from the shower on slowly and very low to start. Watch the filters fill and when you have water dripping from the blue clean line you are good to go. Turn the cold water on full blast and let the system drain into the shower for 30 minutes or so to flush the system clean. At this point you can use the system to fill whatever you want. We are going to fill and keep a reservoir full so we will continue on GPers.

Attached Files

#4 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Here we go on the res. I used a 50gallon heavy duty rolling Rubbermaid can and added a submersible pump to fill my buckets and an airpump with airstone to keep the water fresh and clean. Heres how it went down. I started by putting my holes in the lid. Use a drill or whatever. I like to use my torch and metal objects to burn holes. It leaves a clean hole and its just easy. But be careful because its also easy to burn yourself when you also use that torch to light your wax vaporizer like me lmao. So heres the lid with the holes. You need 3. 1 for the intake at 7/16" for the float valve, 1 for the airline at about 1/4" and 1 about a 1/2" for the output hose. Next I washed the entire garbage can with anti bacterial dishsoap and placed it into the shower. Then I installed the floatvalve assembly with the crescent wrench, pushed the hoses through, and attached the airstone and water pump.

Attached Files

#5 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Ok last step and we are done. Drop the airstone and pump into the reservoir and put the lid on. Pull extra hose through before putting the lid on and after pull the extra back out. Connect the blue water line to the float valve the same way as the ro100. Just push the hose in and your done. Next connect the 1/4'' air line to the airpump and plug it in outside of the shower to avoid contact with water. Open the valve on the blue line an turn the cold water back on and your in business. Added bonuses are that you can store your hose and filter wrench on the water knobs and your chemicals on the shower floor. Thanks for reading hope this helps and please ask as many questions as you want there are no dumb ones and I will try to answer the best I can. Thanks again, Rooster

Attached Files

• Turf, Itinkso and teddys head like this

#6 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Update after first use. Decided I needed a shut off valve at the filler hose end. Also my water went from a ph of 8.2 to 6.4 with this RO Yippee. I don't use a ppm pen so cant tell ya what happened there but I am sure its good lol. Thanks again, Rooster

Attached Files

Edited by Rooster, 10 March 2012 - 02:35 PM.

• Itinkso, teddys head and OffDaBaba like this

#7 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

that's some setup Posted Image

very nifty and the Ro water is some job,i use it me self ,friend has similar set up :)

your lady's will love it Posted Image thanks for taking time out

to put up such a detailed instructions bigsmileythumbsup gonna help folk a lot rasta.nana.gif

Health and happiness
  • Blue61 likes this

#8 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

So the girls did love the new ro water with some nutes and they shot up 1.5 inches over night. Just awesome news. So glad we did this.
  • teddys head likes this

#9 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey I will keep posting here as long as new thing that seem important come to mind lol. So I should mention that with RO water comes a different issue. Now the water is too pure and needs some things added back. So at every water now instead of only adjusting the ph I now we have to add cal/mag. We are going to stick with advanced on this one. They offer a formula for grow and one for bloom. Later GP

#10 PFC Stone

PFC Stone

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationIn Country

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I Know It Is Over A Year Old, But It Is Practical & Stealthy For My Situation. Super Nice! I Think This Is What I Need To Do! Great Job Rooster & Thanks For Sharing Your Innovative Skills!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filtration, reverse, osmosis, water, reservoir, pump, rubbermaid, hydrologic, stealth, stealthro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users