22 replies to this topic

#1 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi guys, I took some epsom salt during my grow and diluted it an sprayed it over the leaves. A certain amount of white residue was left on the leaves. This is my last grow week before harvets so I cut all leaves with white residue on them anyway. Now, in the process of spraying, a bit of this diluted epsom salt inevitabely got on the bud as well. Nothing visible though, I just presume it did. My question: will this weed be safe to smoke? This is magnesium after all and I'm a bit worried if I should smoke it or not. Any suggestions from you guys? Again, there is no visible white reside on the buds, I'm just worried about the "what if it didnt all soak in" scenario. Thank you for your help!
  • Itinkso, teddys head and SirStickybuds like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

tough one indeed :) last time I foliar fed them was 5 weeks ago. right now I have only one week before harvest. i didnt feed them afterwards. i want to know how can i be sure that the plant really soaked it all up and nothing remained on the buds. i was thinking that some of the salt did not dissolve in water and that's the white stuff i'm seeing on my leaves. because when i I shook the leaf the white residue came right off. the buds look fine but what worries me is that some of the salt could still be there... is the period of 5 weeks enough for the magnesium to "disappear"? to become nothing or something good? lol i am no chemist and i probably sound silly :)

#3 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

Why would you be spraying your buds before harvest? i'd be afraid of bud rot spraying them before harvest. i haven't found anything on google saying the salts would be harmful if smoked but you may have an after taste or harshness from it. But don't quote me on that, but do let me know if you have funny after taste. Make sure those bath salts WERE bath salts. i guess there are two kinds on the market, one will get you high smoking it, ingesting it and it will say Epsom salt bath product, the other magnesium sulfate which is the one you would use on plants is okay So read the labels before buying.

http://thestir.cafem...Drug_Abuse_What
  • Your Grandfather, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#4 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Sad article Big Papa , but a good read and heads up for sure , this is a quote from it :

(Now for the good news. Experts say a traditional bath salt that contains sodium chloride (sea salt) or magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) is not what the kids are looking for; so if that's in your bathroom, your kids are safe ... until they discover the next homemade high.)

I think that even if you used epsom salt from the bathroom youll be ok if you rinse it with RO/Distilled water or even soak it for an hour or so when the time comes .. Youll notice the residue can almost be rubbed off a leaf by hand . RO/Distilled water will wash it almost away for the most part ..

I have sprayed many plants with Epsom bath salt for the quick mag absorbtion but in flower I always add cal/mag to the roots , as mentioned spraying them in flower can and ,may create a fungus issue ......

I hope all is well and that you find a sense of peace within this .........PPS
  • Your Grandfather, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#5 Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather

Revolutionary

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationRight here --> •

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

I agree with Big Papa, don't spray your plants close in to harvest. Mg is very difficult element to move thru the plant when used as a soil drench, probably takes four nodes of growth. When foliar applied it works very fast to remedy a Mg deficiency. I generally make a gallon of water to one measured tablespoon of epson salts, put a few ounces in a spray bottle and give the plant - during early veg - a good shower with it. I used the balance of the gallon as my water until it is exhausted. Hope this helps

#6 MRGG47

MRGG47

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Locationsouth east of hooterville

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

are you sure it's epsom salts on your leaf and not powdery mildew?

#7 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Wow, thank you all for your great reply's. I do have to emphasize that I wasnt foliar feeding them just before harvest, I want to make that clear. The last time I foliar fed them was 5 weeks ago. The epsom salt I used was bought in an agricultural store so its purpose is definitely oriented towards plants. There is no fungus tissue though, not that I can see anyway and there's no weird fungy smell coming from them either. They seem perfectly healthy in terms of bud. The strain is Trainwreck if anyone wants to know :)

#8 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

are you sure it's epsom salts on your leaf and not powdery mildew?

Erm, yeah, pretty sure. Powdery mildew is not that dense - it doesnt really concentrate so thickly. Powdery mildew looks like fungus. This shit looked really dense, like somebody put a spoon of flour on it. And, the most important thing - it came right off when I shook the leaves and never appeeared again.

#9 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

seems like you got through it okay? ...imo, if there are buds on the plant don't foliar feed. actually i rarely foliar feed my plants, even in veg. the roots should supply the plant w/ the nutes they need. epsoms are soaked up quickly through the rootmass. i foliar feed to clear the leave pours of dust if needed or if the plant (usually clones) look deficient. chow
  • Itinkso and teddys head like this

#10 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Erm, yeah, pretty sure. Powdery mildew is not that dense - it doesnt really concentrate so thickly. Powdery mildew looks like fungus. This shit looked really dense, like somebody put a spoon of flour on it. And, the most important thing - it came right off when I shook the leaves and never appeeared again.

Powdery mildew, in its earlier stages, looks just like someone flicked little bits of flour onto the leaves. It could easily also resemble dried-up left over mineral/salt deposits from spraying things (such as epsom salt) onto the leaves.

Looking at it under magnification would help to make sure what it is or is not.

#11 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't spray in the last month of flower. Not positive but I'm pretty sure smoking/ingestion of that is no good. I know it is used in a lot of medicines and your body contains a large amount of Mg in it. However, the chemical makeup and effects are much different when ignited and smoked (and probably harmful). You said it was 5 weeks ago, which is good. Next time just do a regular water spray the day or two after to rise off any extra. Honestly residue of any kind on buds is no good to smoke. If all else fails, when you cut the buds down dunk them in a bucket of distilled water before hanging up to dry.
  • Itinkso, teddys head and Dudz like this

#12 MRGG47

MRGG47

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Locationsouth east of hooterville

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

can you show us a picture of this on you leaf?

#13 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

seems like you got through it okay?

...imo, if there are buds on the plant don't foliar feed. actually i rarely foliar feed my plants, even in veg. the roots should supply the plant w/ the nutes they need. epsoms are soaked up quickly through the rootmass. i foliar feed to clear the leave pours of dust if needed or if the plant (usually clones) look deficient.

chow

seems like i did :)

i had a mg deficiency problm and i did both foliar and soil because i easily start to panick.. the plants recovered quickly. the buds look great now. actually, the buds have always looked great, the leaves did not :)

Powdery mildew, in its earlier stages, looks just like someone flicked little bits of flour onto the leaves. It could easily also resemble dried-up left over mineral/salt deposits from spraying things (such as epsom salt) onto the leaves.

Looking at it under magnification would help to make sure what it is or is not.

nope, not a powdery mildew, not even close. but thanx for your reply

#14 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Next time just do a regular water spray the day or two after to rise off any extra. Honestly residue of any kind on buds is no good to smoke. If all else fails, when you cut the buds down dunk them in a bucket of distilled water before hanging up to dry.

will do..

i do not see any residue on buds, but they are not like leaves where it is obvious..

i did not know that you can dunk the buds in distilled water! or in any water :) for how long do you dunk them? just for a sec? a minute? couple of minutes?

#15 MissMimi

MissMimi

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

can you show us a picture of this on you leaf?

nope. i had them flushed and then all the white stuff fell off.. and i cut off most of the leaves .. AND today is five days before the harvest... AND i will inspect them thoroughly once more.. will post if i find anything

#16 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

will do..

i do not see any residue on buds, but they are not like leaves where it is obvious..

i did not know that you can dunk the buds in distilled water! or in any water :) for how long do you dunk them? just for a sec? a minute? couple of minutes?

Yeah I've had to do it before where I've sprayed in flower. Or even if I had a lot of bugs and only had a week to go until harvest. I only do a quick dunk (couple seconds) to rinse everything off, then put high-power fans on them. You don't want the water soaking in too much and causing mold problems. You can put a small amount of milk in the water to help prevent any mold problems if ya want.

Also, if you happen to have a sealed room you can kill the borg with CO2. Seal everything up, turn off the fans, and release CO2 from a canister in there. I think it is around 10,000ppms for 10 minutes will kill anything in there. But be careful, don't be in the same area or enclosed space. High ppms of CO2 = no oxygen. Which means bugs die.... but humans and pets can too. You can also seal a garbage bag around your plant with duct tape and then fill that with CO2, that works I hear (never tried it myself).

#17 Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather

Revolutionary

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationRight here --> •

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

.... epsoms are soaked up quickly through the rootmass. i foliar feed to clear the leave pours of dust if needed or if the plant (usually clones) look deficient.

chow

Mg can be utilized by the plant thru either foliar or soil drench. When applied via soil drench other cations can interact with the Mg in the rhizosphere which would have a significant effect on the uptake of the ions. The problem is that Mg really doesn't bond well to cell walls and can be easily displaced by other ions. It is because of this that I always suggest to people experiencing a Mg or Mn problem to foliar apply and then use the balance as a soil drench.

FWIW :)

#18 shadowgrower

shadowgrower

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSEUSA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I abandoned any foliar feeding years ago. Unless I had a bad deficiency I was battling I just never do it. There is also a thing called a "clarifying" effect i believe in which water drops on leaves act as magnifying glasses with the light and burn holes in leaves. Peace Shadow

#19 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

I abandoned any foliar feeding years ago. Unless I had a bad deficiency I was battling I just never do it. There is also a thing called a "clarifying" effect i believe in which water drops on leaves act as magnifying glasses with the light and burn holes in leaves.
Peace
Shadow

Yeah, except for certain special conditions such as bugs or deficencies it's not worth doing.
  • Itinkso, teddys head and shadowgrower like this

#20 shadowgrower

shadowgrower

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSEUSA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I abandoned any foliar feeding years ago. Unless I had a bad deficiency I was battling I just never do it. There is also a thing called a "clarifying" effect i believe in which water drops on leaves act as magnifying glasses with the light and burn holes in leaves.
Peace
Shadow

Correction. The "clarifying" effect happens primarily with HIDs. My experience and info that is. I could be wrong but if memory minds me, I believe I am right. I am no light scientist.lol Just an amateur. :P Take care and Peace Guy's
Shadow
  • Itinkso likes this

#21 shadowgrower

shadowgrower

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSEUSA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Isn't Epsom Salts just magnesium sulfate? I once heard someone say you could substitute CaMag with them. Not true. At least not in any experiments i tried. I have used it on my Hastas and Tomatoes and i dunno but it appears to get alittle greener but then again that could just be me seeing something I wanted to see. :P Peace out,
Shadow
  • Itinkso likes this

#22 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Isn't Epsom Salts just magnesium sulfate? I once heard someone say you could substitute CaMag with them. Not true. At least not in any experiments i tried. I have used it on my Hastas and Tomatoes and i dunno but it appears to get alittle greener but then again that could just be me seeing something I wanted to see. :P Peace out,
Shadow

Yep, epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, cheap and easy to find. If your using tap water most of the time you'll be getting enough calcium but cannabis is a fairly heavy calcium user so cal-mag or epsom salts either will work.
  • Itinkso, Blue61 and shadowgrower like this

#23 shadowgrower

shadowgrower

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSEUSA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the kind helpful comments. smhug.gif
  • Itinkso likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epsom salt, harvest, smoking, king kush, trainwreck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users