• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NightHawk

NightHawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hello Everyone! I have been reading quite a bit on Hempie grows. I am totally sold on it. First, some background on the set up... I am using 5 Gallon dark blue buckets with the 7/16" hole 2" from the bottom with a screen to keep the 100% perlite mix from falling out. I'm not using Vermiculite because as I have read, it can turn into a nasty sludge in the reservoir. I am currently bringing up some F1 beans that I started in Rapid Rooters (Yes you have to put the seed in with the point down to keep the tap root going the right way), The Rapid Rooters with the sprouted seedlings are in Solo Party Cups e.g.. 16oz Mini-Hempie cups with nothing but perlite in them, and are looking really great now and the tap root is definitely in the reservoir because they are growing really fast now and are about 3" tall with lots of really nice leaves on them. I have been using GH Flora 3 part at recommended levels in 5.9 PH adjusted water. Runoff samples of the water has been around .6 EC so I think all is good on that front. So to prepare the 5 Gallon buckets I intend on flushing the perlite with plain old PH 7 tap water to get the white dust out, then do a final rinse of the clean perlite with PH adjusted distilled water at 5.9 with no nutes. This should give me a nice moist home for my babies, but I can't think of a good way to move them from the plastic cups to the buckets without the roots and perlite spilling all over the place when I try to pull or dump them out of the cups. I am experienced with soil and transplanting them was pretty easy because the roots would hold the soil together, but this perlite is not as "sticky" so I am really scratching my head here on the best way to move them into the buckets without too much damage to the plant stalk or roots. Also, how far should I dig down into the buckets to create a hole for the transplanted ones? I am thinking about 8" deep, but I don't know how far the roots may hang when they don't have a cup to restrain them any more. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • Itinkso, GoophyPhucker and Scooby like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

imo flush new 5gal's w/ ph'd water 5.8-6.2...throughout.

...also for the transplant, soak solo cup medium really well. let drain. soak 5gal medium too (have a empty solo cup in middle) so you're soaking around it.. you've got to get it really wet for it to hold any at all...

...once satified w/ 5gal, take your soaked solo turn upside down, remove solo from 5gal, then quickly replace w/ perlite rootball. the roots will hold the perlite like it holds soil. there shouldn't be too much of a mess.

also, i use vermiculite. it's not good to use if you plan on reusing perlite, but i don't. i like it in there because it helps retain water by the rootmass a little more than the perlite and adds a little calcium too.

chow

Edited by chow, 10 February 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#3 NightHawk

NightHawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Chow; I'll follow your suggestions and see how it goes. Looks like I will be investing in more PH Down liquid soon. I wasn't expecting that initial perlite clean-out flush to require adjusted water but it makes sense and why take chances with these little gems. I will probably only re-use each batch of perlite only one more time. I know that green algae can grow on it and it just raises the chance of some weird plant infections if over used.
  • Itinkso and Scooby like this

#4 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Chow;

np, mate...

...check my gee aint it funny journal for what will happen if you don't flush or feed w/ ph'd water...chow got lazy and have been dealing w/ the aftermath (100gals of flushing) for one week now. ...can't be lazy w/ hempie-hydro unless you have a self adjusting ph nute, even then you've got to watch the ppm/ph on the runoff.

you can also check out my bowl in the china shop journal for what kind of yields you can get from hempies...i got 2oz/3gal pot (w/ prob only 2gal worth of medium in 'em)

let me know if you have any more questions. ...best thing to do is just start a journal in current grow journals and let everyone else help and follow along, too

chow

#5 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

brain wave moment....sink the cup into the bucket to make a cup sized hole....slice down the side of the cup and put it back in the hole you made then just slide the cup up and out...TADAA!!!!!
  • Scooby likes this

#6 GoophyPhucker

GoophyPhucker

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ola NightHawk,
welcome to GreenPassion

I have grown in Hempy/IRB buckets for about 4 years, and I believe you will have good resultz too.
your plan for rinsing off the "dust" is OK as long as the LAST rinse is PHed to 5.5-5.8.
I also will encourage you to mix in some vermiculite or Coco Core as I really helps the mosture throughout the buckets, IMHO. I use about 15% nowdayz and that works good. The bottom 2''
"Resiviour" is mainlly a "Wicking pond" that keeps water/nutes avaible to the rest of the bucket.
In the 3 Gal, buckets my girls get feed 1/2 gal ever 3 or 4 dayz, in my 5 gal buckets they need 3/4 of a gal.
Chow has given some great advice also. As he said, water in your plants in the solo cups, cut down the sides of each cup in 3 or 4 places and peal off the cup while holding it upside down with the plant between your fingers to help hold the perlite/roots togather.
fell free to ask any questions.
I buy my perlite in 6' bags
Attached File  IMG_1291.JPG   41.26KB   2 downloads
I start my seeds or clones in rockwool, then into 18oz plastic "solo" cups with a "hempy" drain hole about an inch up, some of the perlite on the root ball gets knocked off when I turn these upside down, but it does not hurt anything,

Attached File  New Growth 2011 111.jpg   180.54KB   2 downloads
also look here:
https://www.greenpas...yphucker-grows/

and then I make sure the 3 or 5 G buckets are preped, and just hollow out a hole about the same size as the mini's, and put it in, and water well. I also "water then in" for athe 1st week.
Attached File  New Growth 12.23.11 054.jpg   54.77KB   2 downloads

#7 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

yeah...gp mentioned something i forgot to... ...very important to water daily or multiple times a day for the first week or so...to ensure the roots don't dry out while they're looking for the res. chow

#8 NightHawk

NightHawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I followed all your excellent advice and moved the 4 little ladies to the 5 Gallon buckets. So far so good for 3 of them. The 4th is drooping a little even after a couple a days so I will watch her closely. I have been watering every day since they were started even in the cups so they are dealing with the nutrient schedule pretty good so far. I do the following (half strength GH Flora 3-part series for early veg growth).. Feed, Water, Feed.-- Repeat. So they get 2 days of feedings then 1 day plain water PH'ed to 5.9. All 4 are now also under the 1000W HPS at 16h On/8h Off. Keeping temps around 75 degrees with Humidity at 40-50%. My big problem is usually temp and humidity but since it is winter, I get a break on temps this time of year. I can never get the humidity up much with that 1000W so I'm not sure the best way to deal with that or even how much a difference it will make in the long run.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hempie, Transplant, Hydro, Soil less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users