7 replies to this topic

#1 McWeed

McWeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hey guys I have been doing so much reading over the last couple of days as to what the problem i'm having could be. But everything I think I have found what it would be, I read something else that it could possibly be. Being the careful slow and steady guy I am, I have not rushed into trying to fix the problem and risked causing more serious harm. I am not able to give to specific of information about the soil I am using and such unfortunately, but I will give as much as I can. I am growing in DebCo organic potting soil, with pearlite and sulfate of potash added (not able to gibe NPK specifics.) There is some Yates Dynamic Lifter organic slow release fertilizer pellets mixed in. (I'm thinking this is the base cause of my problem, although the NPK percentages in it are relatively low.) The pots are 14mm and the babies have been in there for about 2 weeks now. They are 38 days from seed (give or take 2 days.) Watering with boiled and cooled/rested tap water. When I have done PH tsts of the soil it has shown be between a 6 and 7 rating. Although i'm questionable on the effectiveness of this as i'm using the dye and powder testing kit. I have tested my water once with the same kit, and it showed a nice 6-7 reading, although I am really skeptical of the accuracy of the dye and powder used for water testing. Also noteworthy is that a couple of times we had to water them with water straight from the tap, unrested and un boiled. Although this didn't seem to have any profound effects. The plants are spending the days outside in the lovely warm Aussie summer sun, then coming inside at night going under fluro lights for the extra 4 or so hours needed to keep 18/6. I know that my setup inside is really not optimal and I know it is causing some pest problems for me. But at the moment I really have no other choice. Due to these pest problems (I have spotted a couple of white flies or thrips, not sure which and had a few webs strung between some leaves, I have also caught and killed a larger spidermite.) I am not overly worried about this right now but we used some pyrethrum solution to try to deter the mites, it has possibly worked. But I made an error when applying this stuff which caused some problems. It was about 1 and a half weeks ago that the pyrethrum solution was applied, through a spray bottle misting the whole plant and giving the top layer of soil a small spray also. My error was though that In the rush I used the manufactures instructions on dose and put 20ml to the liter of water which was way to strong. But I had thought that after a few foilar feedings of pure water that the negative effects of that had dispersed. I am still watering only with water (staying organic here.) I plan to add some molasses in within the next week when I can go get some. I want to veg for the rest of this month and then go into flower. I think I will leave them in these pots until a week or two before flipping to 12/12 (or just leaving them outside in the greenhouse in this case,) then up pot again and let them settle before flowering. Out of the 6 little ones we have going, 3 of them are still looking particularly healthy and 3 are showing symptoms of something. One has got really really bad in only about 5 days, it went from healthy as the others to detrimentally in need of help. Here are pics I have got to show you guys. Attached File  2012-02-05 16.47.28.jpg   131.14KB   14 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.47.40.jpg   224.05KB   15 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.47.57.jpg   113.68KB   12 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.48.30.jpg   237.36KB   11 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.48.42.jpg   102.5KB   9 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.49.00.jpg   152.36KB   15 downloads Attached File  2012-02-05 16.49.23.jpg   243.61KB   14 downloads I can get some more pics tomorrow if needed. So thanks for reading through this if you have spent some time doing so, I appreciate all the help I can get, and hope that this thread can help someone else out. I'm sure my problem/s are not to big, but with my one month of growing experience I think you guys will be able to lead me in a better direction. (Sorry fo not using the template, but it was a bit confusing for me and I think I got all the information I needed to out to you guys in my own context. Sorry if it is an arduous read.)
  • Bueller, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 McWeed

McWeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Pics 4 and 7 are of my healthiest baby. I don't think there is anything wrong with that one, it's thriving well IMO.

#3 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

You appear to have multiple nutrient deficiencies. Potassium being the most obvious, but I think you may also be low on Phosphorus, Nitrogen, and Magnesium as well. I'm not familiar with the nutes you are using, so I can't assume whether or not you just need MORE of the nutes of it or if there is something else causing the issues, such as a ph problem. I do see some twisty leaves (indicating the ph is off) but I don't thin they look bad enough to be causing it. I honestly think your plants just need more food. Either way, you definitely want to get a more accurate way to measure the ph. The difference between 6 and 7 is huge to your plants. In soil, you pretty much want the ph running at 6.5 - 6.8 and if you go much over or under that the plant cannot uptake the nutrients it needs. P.S. #4 and 7 have the same problems, it's just not as bad/visible. Yet.

Edited by Dudz, 05 February 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#4 McWeed

McWeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Dudz. Having multiple deficiencies is why I am getting discombobulated on figuring out which deficiency it is! LoL. With the PH, at the moment I am not sure how soon I am going to be able to get a better method of testing the ph. I can surely get some strips and test my water as I saw them today in bunnings but didn't have the money to get them. But I am yet to come across an affordable ph tester that you stick down into the soil. I might have to venture across town to a hydro store, but i'm not sure I can afford to even ge there at the moment. I think the twisting on the leaves is from hotspots caused by the slow release pellets, because when testing my soil if there was a pellet in the pile i was testing, it would show a deep purple color. Thanks again mate! And anyone else with input I would still greatly appreciate it. The more peoples view I get, the better understanding I can get. Oh and also, for my education. I am a little baffled by the fact that my 3 smaller plants are exhibiting the worst symptoms, where as my biggest (pic 4 and 7) is still looking rather healthy. As they are all in the same stuff. Once again it leads me to believe it has something to do with the pellets?

#5 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

Those pellets could definitely be aggravating the problem, but i don't think they are the root of it. As far as differences between the plants.... you said they are from seed, right? Even if they are the same strain from the same exact batch of seeds, there will be differences from plant to plant. Sometimes those differences can be quite drastic, and sometimes not. Even with top notch genetics, there will be several different phenotypes - each having their own characteristics. Oh.... Those ph testers with the metal rod that you stick in the soil are a waste of money - they suck. Paper test strips are better than those.

Edited by Dudz, 05 February 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#6 McWeed

McWeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

My mistake yeah, I was completely neglecting the different seeds when writing this thread up, it's the one thing I forgot >.< The big one (pic 4 and 7) is definitely a different strain to the rest. The others I think are the same strain, judging on their growth patterns. All bagseed which I forgot to mention. Hmm, I have never seen paper test strips for soil. Only the fish tank and pool ones. I might look up on the net here to see if I can get them cheap. So now my reading shifts to getting the nutrients I need from some organic sources, cheaply. (I am very broke for the next couple of weeks.) Thanks again for the help Dudz, I appreciate the no nonsense approach to helping me out, since i'm new to gardening in general. But I am starting to understand it more as time goes on. These plants are really helping me to learn. They may not end up producing some swollen snowy medicine in the end, but they are teaching me an awful lot so when I can get a setup I would like I should be having a lot more success.

Edited by McWeed, 05 February 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

ph is ph. Pool, spa, fish tank.... it's still ph. :) Pool/fish tank strips work just fine as long as they measure ph is the zone you're looking for. Obviously checking ph of water going in and runoff is pretty easy with them, but to measure the actual soil ph you just soak a little of the soil in some ph-adjusted water overnight, shake it good and let it all settle again, then measure the ph of that water. Test strips are not the most accurate method, but it's at least close.

Edited by Dudz, 05 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

• teddys head and McWeed like this

#8 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

hi ya McWeed our Dudz has you sorted flyingsmiley.gif i'll not confuse da issue :D

if you check in the organic section https://www.greenpas...rganic-growing/ there are

various recipes etc for nutes , :)

Health and happiness
  • McWeed likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, sick, plants, veg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users