#1 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

WASHINGTON, DC -- President Barack Obama in an online "conversation" with American voters on Monday, failed to answer a barrage of questions about marijuana legalization or the drug war.
Although 18 out of 20 of the most popular questions submitted by voters via YouTube were about the drug war or pot, the president in his 45-minute post-State of the Union chat didn't address a single one.
"It is disappointing that, yet again, the administration has declined the opportunity to discuss the very serious issue of ending marijuana prohibition," Erik Altieri, spokesman for National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, wrote in an email. "For the ninth time, the White House has solicited the American people for direct input on the issues they cared about and then, when the resulting answers called overwhelmingly for marijuana law reform, President Obama ignores the will of the American people on this burning issue."
Google, which moderated the event from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., did not immediately respond to a query about why such questions were excluded. YouTube, a division Google, allowed users until Saturday midnight to designate a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on questions submitted ahead of Monday's chat. Questions with the most thumbs up were deemed the most popular.
While the president did find time to talk about a whole host of less weighty questions, including ones about late-night snacks, dancing and his tennis skills, a response to a top-rated question submitted by Stephen Downing, the retired deputy chief of police in Los Angeles, was conspicuously absent.
Downing's question, which garnered more than 4,500 votes, ranked first in popularity among questions submitted via video and second out of all questions. He asked the president to address a growing voter constituency that wants more changes to drug policy than he has delivered in his first term. "From my 20 years of experience I have come to see our country’s drug policies as a failure and a complete waste of criminal justice resources," Downing had said in his video.
Later commenting on his question's being ignored in Monday night's chat, Downing, a board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, wrote, "It's worse than silly that YouTube and Google would waste the time of the president and of the American people discussing things like midnight snacks and playing tennis when there is a much more pressing question on the minds of the people who took the time to participate in voting on submissions."
"A majority of Americans now support legalizing marijuana to de-fund cartels and gangs, lower incarceration and arrest rates and save scarce public resources, all while generating new much-needed tax revenue," Downing added. "The time to discuss this issue is now. We're tired of this serious public policy crisis being pushed aside or laughed off."
This isn't the first time the issue of drug policy has dominated online contests soliciting questions from the president only to be ignored. In last year's "Your Interview with the President" competition, Obama did discuss the issue, however, calling legalization and regulation of marijuana and other drugs "an entirely legitimate topic for debate" and adding that he remained opposed to legalization of medical marijuana.
Medical marijuana activists are wondering what happened to the candidate who promised to maintain a hands-off approach toward pot clinics' adhering to state law.
"I will be voting in the Republican primary in California, and I will be voting for one of the candidates who supports our position on medical cannabis," said Steve DeAngelo, executive director of California-based Harborside Health Center told The Huffington Post in a recent interview. "I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other medical cannabis patients join me."
"There's a real opening here for Republicans," he said.
A White House spokesman, when asked for comment about why no marijuana-related questions were addressed on Monday, noted that the event had been moderated by Google and the president was merely answering questions posed to him.

Watch Downing ask his question below.

• jangel, Bueller, bongbonghi and 7 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21381 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Not to worry, he'll lie again later and tell people if they re-elect him he will stop the storm trooper DEA tactics that he promised to stop the last time.
  • jangel, Bueller, bongbonghi and 5 others like this

#3 StrainHunter

StrainHunter

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

True legalization isn't going to be handed to us easily, they have way to much invested into it to just hand over their golden goose without a bit of a fight. Obama has proven time and time again that he will say one thing and do the complete opposite!

Edited by StrainHunter, 31 January 2012 - 11:15 AM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 5 others like this

#4 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26066 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

True to form.. would have expected this.... No surprise at all
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Makes me sick...all the duplicity in government is epidemic. All over this big mud ball of ours.
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#6 StrainHunter

StrainHunter

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

There has to come a time when people start to govern themselves, we don't need some organization telling us how to run our own lives, dictate what we consume, what we watch, what we say and the list goes on and on... We need to take control of our own situations and take a stance against everything this establishment stands for! I myself am tired of all these wars, all the lies, all this greed comes with a price! When are we finally going to say enough is enough and just not participate in it, hopefully sooner rather than later.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 4 others like this

#7 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted on this Debs. one day... keep hoping!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 4 others like this

#8 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Typical ! ! !

big up to L.E.A.P http://www.leap.cc/ bigsmileythumbsup

thanks Debs :)

Health and happiness
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and 3 others like this

#9 muffman0351

muffman0351

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSin city

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I feel like Ron Paul is the only politician that has his head screwed on correctly when it comes to ending Marijuana prohibition. Nobama 2012!
  • jangel, Lucky_Cat, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#10 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

Typical politician no.no.gif GO FIGURE shrugsmiley.gif not suprised one bit!!....Thanks Deb

I wanted to share my funny I found the other day.....!!

While taking off in Air Force One the other day, Obama looked at Michelle and laughed and said...
"You know...I could throw out a $1,000 bill out of the window right now and make somebody very happy!
Michelle shrugged her shoulders and replied, I could throw ten $100 bills out of the window and make ten people happy!"...
Hearing their exchange, the pilot of the plane said to his co-pilot...
"Such big-shots back there...I could throw both of them out the window and make 256 million people VERY HAPPY."!!
  • jangel, Lucky_Cat, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Typical politician no.no.gif GO FIGURE shrugsmiley.gif not suprised one bit!!....Thanks Deb

I wanted to share my funny I found the other day.....!!

While taking off in Air Force One the other day, Obama looked at Michelle and laughed and said...
"You know...I could throw out a $1,000 bill out of the window right now and make somebody very happy!
Michelle shrugged her shoulders and replied, I could throw ten $100 bills out of the window and make ten people happy!"...
Hearing their exchange, the pilot of the plane said to his co-pilot...
"Such big-shots back there...I could throw both of them out the window and make 256 million people VERY HAPPY."!!

LOL! SOOO true! most likely more as many people all over the world want him gone...try a billion for the small side.

J
  • Lucky_Cat, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#12 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

I interpret the avoidance as someone who knows they have nowhere to go with this, he knows the line he is forced to spout is pure nonesense so why even bother? I still think he is the man to bring about proper change, anyone out of office can say what they like, its when they get into office and find out they aint really in charge that the mechanisms for change can be put in place.. I can't accept for one moment that Obama has simply changed his mind on this subject and his silence can be seen as evidence of this, he is just part of a machine, deffo not the mechanic but with a bit of luck.. its people like Obama in office that will change the status quo.. Small victory here in the uk with regards to small time growers, medicinal growers may very well get a discharge, still isn't perfect but the change will be discreet, British law is not that different to federal law and the new sentencing guidlines means there will be little incentive for the police or the prosecutors to carry on persecuting.. tiny steps and our victory will not come about by someone saying this then finding out they can't because of x y or z but its having those values in power that count... I see yer mans silence as our victory, he thinks the same, he wants it, but has to work harder than he expected to achieve the goals... this is a case of silence is golden...
  • Itinkso and DEBhasgrn like this

#13 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

I interpret the avoidance as someone who knows they have nowhere to go with this, he knows the line he is forced to spout is pure nonesense so why even bother? I still think he is the man to bring about proper change, anyone out of office can say what they like, its when they get into office and find out they aint really in charge that the mechanisms for change can be put in place..

I can't accept for one moment that Obama has simply changed his mind on this subject and his silence can be seen as evidence of this, he is just part of a machine, deffo not the mechanic but with a bit of luck.. its people like Obama in office that will change the status quo..

Small victory here in the uk with regards to small time growers, medicinal growers may very well get a discharge, still isn't perfect but the change will be discreet, British law is not that different to federal law and the new sentencing guidlines means there will be little incentive for the police or the prosecutors to carry on persecuting.. tiny steps and our victory will not come about by someone saying this then finding out they can't because of x y or z but its having those values in power that count...

I see yer mans silence as our victory, he thinks the same, he wants it, but has to work harder than he expected to achieve the goals... this is a case of silence is golden...

Hey LC hows it going? Great news over your part of our great big world, please keep us posted on how that goes for you all. I'd like to know more on whats happening in the news in other countries..
LC I do not see Obama as you do, I never did trust anyone who could turn into this puppet thing... plain and simple
  • Lucky_Cat and Itinkso like this

#14 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hey LC hows it going? Great news over your part of our great big world, please keep us posted on how that goes for you all. I'd like to know more on whats happening in the news in other countries..
LC I do not see Obama as you do, I never did trust anyone who could turn into this puppet thing... plain and simple

i agree with you deb....i HATE the fact that they ALL say stuff to get themselves in power but when it comes to the crunch they bow to pressure....David Cameron did the same thing over here....its easy to spout when your not in office but i don't see one single one of the leaders having the balls to make a change....makes me puke....Obama MIGHT be for legalization but he's spineless enough to cave under pressure....ALL of them...
  • Lucky_Cat and DEBhasgrn like this

#15 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Welcome to the machine... Pink Flloyd running through my brain... I think my point is it doesn't matter who we vote for, because their is a massive stealth like machine that is more powerful than those the people elect and that even the prime ministers and the presidents all know their place, but they remain the in the machine and as such can help try and change the programming..

Maybe the next time debs the questions should not be about legalising MMJ or just MJ for all but to ask who is stopping this, who? who are they? who are they? because my vote seems to mean absolutely zilch, it like one big pisstake by so very few.. but good news all the same over here and will keep ya posted for sure lovely... who really is holding us like slaves?... tis someone cus both Cameron and Obama done massive U turns overnight.. which reminds me of the clip below.. but replace "who is she" with "who are they?" and it works for me, then again it would LMAO..

hope the link works across the pond..

• Bueller, Itinkso and DEBhasgrn like this

#16 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

snorting MASSIVELY LC!!!!...she's a feking hoot so she is....mad bad and dangerous to know...maybe SHE should be prime minister...bet she'd do a better job than weedy wimpy Cambo!!!! and Poo cos the new guidlines don't apply to Choochter land!!!
  • Lucky_Cat and DEBhasgrn like this

#17 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21381 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

The problem is that if it's not on his teleprompter, it doesn't exist. :aaargh:
  • bongbonghi, Lucky_Cat and DEBhasgrn like this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obama, pot, questions, marijuana, war on drugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users