23 replies to this topic

#1 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

hello everyone, i have been reading thru the forums on here and other sites and was wondering if mirrors could be used as the reflective material instead of mylar, foil, white paint, etc. inside a grow box ?? i have read many threads and never saw anyone use mirrors and was just wondering why not.
  • jangel, Bueller, bongbonghi and 4 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Mirrors are not as reflective as one thinks and can see , your better off with flat white paint if possible ..I do believe its the cheapest yet for reflectivity but there are alot of mylars and panda films that are low priced as well .. Mirrors are worse than aluminum foil from what I have read and learnt .. Best wishes ......Potsnob

#3 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

thnx for the reply potsnob, in your reference to being worse than foil, do you mean it creates hot spots like foil does?
  • jangel, Bueller, bongbonghi and 5 others like this

#4 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

i guess i will save my mirrors in case i need them for my future project. i want to build a solar heater made with pop and beer cans, but as i said ,, future project.

#5 AJToker

AJToker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

hello everyone, i have been reading thru the forums on here and other sites and was wondering if mirrors could be used as the reflective material instead of mylar, foil, white paint, etc. inside a grow box ?? i have read many threads and never saw anyone use mirrors and was just wondering why not.

Hi I am new at this but i also have a mirror on my back wall. First try wan't so good, so I am going to try again hopefully within the next couple of weeks.I am using a cubby that was used for appling make up about 3 x 3 and 84 inches high. debating whether or not to just get a starter kit. will b using soil suggestions r welcome best foods and flushes that kind of thing i think i will b using a 4 rack t5 to start but need to learn alot more thanks will see what i can find out on mirror AJToker

#6 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

white melamine is a good reflector...as is flat white paint...mylar can be useful but can be a pita to hang...sub mentions his preference in his sub-forum onsite Glass can be saved to trim bud on ....it saves fallen trichs well and can be scraped and cleaned. muA

#7 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi I am new at this but i also have a mirror on my back wall. First try wan't so good, so I am going to try again hopefully within the next couple of weeks.I am using a cubby that was used for appling make up about 3 x 3 and 84 inches high. debating whether or not to just get a starter kit. will b using soil suggestions r welcome best foods and flushes that kind of thing i think i will b using a 4 rack t5 to start but need to learn alot more thanks will see what i can find out on mirror AJToker

hi AJTOKER, good luck with that, and keep us posted with your results

#8 AJToker

AJToker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

well i guess that means i will be cvering mine it is on the wall flat white it is thak u AJToker

#9 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

white melamine is a good reflector...as is flat white paint...mylar can be useful but can be a pita to hang...sub mentions his preference in his sub-forum onsite

Glass can be saved to trim bud on ....it saves fallen trichs well and can be scraped and cleaned.

muA

thnx for the advice for trimming, great idea,, will keep a mirror back for that purpose

#10 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

thnx for the reply potsnob, in your reference to being worse than foil, do you mean it creates hot spots like foil does?

Your welcome ,

I was refering to its ability to reflect light to our advantage, Mirrors tend to bounce and absorb light .Mirrors do not diffuse the light. its focused reflection can make a nasty hot spot too ...

Peace

#11 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

thnx again potsnob, well gonna go for awhile and lie down, neck and back are giving me terrible headache, and don't have any meds, lol

#12 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Ola ! Love this discussion on mirrors, it surfaces every so often...

Here is the long and short without specific materials noted....

Reflectivity is a directional property, specular and diffuse.

Specular surfaces...such as glass or polished metal, reflectivity will be nearly zero at all angles except at the appropriate reflected angle... like looking into a mirror, shine a flashlight into it and only when it meets the pupil of your eye (the analogy being the eye subbing for your plant..) with its brightness it is effective, at all other angles, it is but an image on the glass

Diffuse finish, like ceiling white paint, reflectivity is uniform, reflected in all angles equally or near-equally.

Peas!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, teddys head and 6 others like this

#13 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

well said!
  • jangel, Bueller, bongbonghi and 3 others like this

#14 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

great advice :I agree:

mirrors are glass and will hold heat imho :)

Health and happiness
  • jangel, bongbonghi and Blue61 like this

#15 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Ola ! Love this discussion on mirrors, it surfaces every so often...

Here is the long and short without specific materials noted....

Reflectivity is a directional property, specular and diffuse.

Specular surfaces...such as glass or polished metal, reflectivity will be nearly zero at all angles except at the appropriate reflected angle... like looking into a mirror, shine a flashlight into it and only when it meets the pupil of your eye (the analogy being the eye subbing for your plant..) with its brightness it is effective, at all other angles, it is but an image on the glass

Diffuse finish, like ceiling white paint, reflectivity is uniform, reflected in all angles equally or near-equally.

Peas!

thnx XBRPete,, excellent descriptive example that even my brain understands,, lol
  • jangel and Bueller like this

#16 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

great advice stanandollie.gif

mirrors are glass and will hold heat imho actionleaf.gif

Health and happiness

thnx teddys head,, i agree, great advice
  • jangel, Bueller and teddys head like this

#17 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Going to look and see what notes elsewhere we have on mirrors within GP .. I think if we need , we have enough insight and notes here to compile a complete thread on Mirrors and place in the Beginners section as well .... Sucks in a sense being that mirrors look kool in a garden of Cannabis .....

#18 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Sucks in a sense being that mirrors look kool in a garden of Cannabis .....

Agreed.
A completely mirrored-in grow room would look way cool!!! Awfully expensive wall covering though lol.
  • Bueller and teddys head like this

#19 KaeaneabisSativas

KaeaneabisSativas

Master Kae: Novice Canna-suer, Rookie Horticulturist...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts
  • LocationThe Only Place I'm Wanted or Accepted

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

The flow of light is direct, like a laser, coming off a mirror. Mirrors are beneficial for use in indoor greenhouses, and light trickery or manipulation. I use my own man-made mirrors off the side walls of my room, and right next to the lights, using mirrors and tempered glass sections w/ mylar glued on, to enhance heat retention as well as light reflection.

Mylar distributes and breaks up the light particles so to spread a more even distribution of light beams, or smaller lasers.

Mylar is by far more refractive, and much more useful to your garden, for plants needs the wider availability of light.

However, I say, if you know physics, and have an understanding of light trickery, you could manage a room of mirrors.

I personally have a few ideas awaiting some funds to do some work with mirrors myself. Maybe this can help a little for you: The Refraction & Reflection of Lights.

Posted ImageDudz, on 11 December 2011 -
Agreed.
A completely mirrored-in grow room would look way cool!!! Awfully expensive wall covering though lol.

Wallie World $5 mirrors... LOL

Edited by KaeaneabisSativas, 11 December 2011 - 02:59 PM.

• Bueller and teddys head like this

#20 stretch2169

stretch2169

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

yes,, i agree it would look awesome,,, as is part of the reason i asked about them, and i have several in various shapes and sizes, so wouldn't cost me anything. good luck finding the info potsnob, as i would definitly enjoy such a read, even if it's not a decent use of mirrors, and hopefully u find some pics as well of someone using the mirrors in their grow,, thnx so much for the interest everyone

#21 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

another point in covering a wall with mylar....give a place for mold to grow, between Mylar and wall. very well put, pete! plants prefer diffused light no mater what the human eye sees.
  • jangel, Bueller, teddys head and 1 other like this

#22 Skunkbait

Skunkbait

Seasoned Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

I know this is an old topic, but I'm sure glad I found it when I did!! I have a hard time throwing stuff away, and was just about to put all my old wall-mirrors to "good use"..... So I think we'll be going with flat white paint instead!
  • Tokecrazy and teddys head like this

#23 TheRubberDuck72

TheRubberDuck72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMidlands ~ UK

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hiya peeps not sure how accurate this is? But I read on a few sites that Mirrors are not a good idea, not that reflective, Mirrors absorb up to 50% of light.. and can cause Hot Spots states one person. But then on another Site/Forum peeps have had positive results with Mirrors??? 

I have used Mylar and Panda Film and came to the conclusion both are crap and Great Mold Curtains(of course this can be down to how well or not you have you GR dialed in..Airflow...fluctuating Humidity/Temps Etc) I found flat(Matt) white paint to be the best solution.

I did happen to stumble(like I'm walking along the Internet Highway) upon this thread on another site...seemed quite informative..

Here's a Chart from the Thread and a Link if anyone wants to check it out(nothing to do with me in any shape or form)....

The  Link > https://www.opengrow...wall-materials/

Pic below

gallery_972_3606_12221.jpg

• PoeticLife likes this

#24 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

The problem with mirrors is that the light has to go through the glass, reflect, then back through the glass with light loss all the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users