6 replies to this topic

#1 ocanabis

ocanabis

Cannabis Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have a slight problem with Spider Mites again.So I got this idea from the Stoned ranger and thought I would share it.. We all know Spider Mites like to live on the underside of the leaves and it's really difficult to spray our plants with an effective coating of any thing.. 1 week ago I took steps to treat my kids with Diatomaceous Earth with this following method. My plants aren't all that large at the moment so it was fairly easy to treat them with this method but the point is,it worked. Here's what you need for supplies: Diatomaceous Earth 1) Spray Bottle 1) Garbage Pail 2 Sticks 1 lid from any size container to cover the soil or medium 1 pair of rubber gloves. In my case the plants are in 1 gallon containers so I used a lid from a 1 gallon Ice Cream container.I cut a groove to just past the half way mark of the lid.I'll place this around the stem of the plant and it fit just nicely inside the planted container. Now I can take the plant and turn it up side down and place it on the (2) sticks above the garbage pail. Mix the D. E. at a rate of 1 table spoon to 1 liter/quart of water and shake well. Slip on the rubber gloves and start spraying the under side of the leaves being sure to move any leaves out of the way to reach the leaves that over lap each other so that you can be sure that every leaf has been sprayed with the mixture.Be sure to continually shake you spray mixture. It's important that you wear rubber gloves during and any time that you handle your plants before and after treating them with the D. E..If your hands come into contact with the leaves after treatment your skin will become very itchy and scratchy.As long as the D.E. is on your plants remember to wear the gloves while handling them. later Ocan

Attached Files

• Bueller, bongbonghi, OniusOniusOnius and 6 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 XLdabs

XLdabs

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hey Ocanabis, how did this method work out for you?? Did it take care of the "Borg"?? I feel for you brother, i fought them off a few times myself...i cant stand those little feckers. But im interested to hear how this method worked or failed...thanks, Dabs
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I saw the title of this thread and I thought hey I just saw SR mention this in chat the other night.Thanks ocan for taking it a step further and showing pics I will be getting a bag of this stuff.
  • teddys head and Blue61 like this

#4 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

I have a slight problem with Spider Mites again.So I got this idea from the Stoned ranger and thought I would share it..

We all know Spider Mites like to live on the underside of the leaves and it's really difficult to spray our plants with an effective coating of any thing..
1 week ago I took steps to treat my kids with Diatomaceous Earth with this following method.
My plants aren't all that large at the moment so it was fairly easy to treat them with this method but the point is,it worked.

Here's what you need for supplies:

Diatomaceous Earth
1) Spray Bottle
1) Garbage Pail
2 Sticks
1 lid from any size container to cover the soil or medium
1 pair of rubber gloves.

In my case the plants are in 1 gallon containers so I used a lid from a 1 gallon Ice Cream container.I cut a groove to just past the half way mark of the lid.I'll place this around the stem of the plant and it fit just nicely inside the planted container.
Now I can take the plant and turn it up side down and place it on the (2) sticks above the garbage pail.
Mix the D. E. at a rate of 1 table spoon to 1 liter/quart of water and shake well.
Slip on the rubber gloves and start spraying the under side of the leaves being sure to move any leaves out of the way to reach the leaves that over lap each other so that you can be sure that every leaf has been sprayed with the mixture.Be sure to continually shake you spray mixture.

It's important that you wear rubber gloves during and any time that you handle your plants before and after treating them with the D. E..If your hands come into contact with the leaves after treatment your skin will become very itchy and scratchy.As long as the D.E. is on your plants remember to wear the gloves while handling them.

later
Ocan

OUTSTANDING follow up, thanks so much for taking this further and making it easier for all to understand. I killed the borg thisaway you can too. Apply lotion to your hands after doing this procedure and you will not have itchy skin.:study:
  • bongbonghi, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#5 DOUBLEN

DOUBLEN

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationORYGUN COAST

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

hmm thought I posted this already must have not hit add post =P I have had great success with DE good stuff!!!! Great Post!!! One warning however, make sure to use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth not POOL GRADE Diatomaceous Earth . Pool Grade DE is synthetic creation very bad if you breath in and Food Grade DE is natural fossilized diatoms.
  • teddys head, Blue61 and painretreat like this

#6 richardfg7

richardfg7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I just covered my whole car port (and my six plants) in DE as I'm just tired of playing around. I've been chasing the little pricks around with a spray bottle of alcohol all week. I've got a tent and a hot shot on stand-by.
  • teddys head, Blue61, painretreat and 1 other like this

#7 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

hmm thought I posted this already must have not hit add post =P

I have had great success with DE good stuff!!!! Great Post!!!

One warning however, make sure to use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth not POOL GRADE Diatomaceous Earth .

Pool Grade DE is synthetic creation very bad if you breath in and Food Grade DE is natural fossilized diatoms.

We feed it to our animals and it helps keep their guts clean. I even have some in my coffee sometimes.
The only difference between "Food Grade" and "Pool Grade" is basically the price. If you are going to use this as an anti insect application you need not worry about covering the soil. This stuff is tiny sea critters and are composed of mostly silicon. Plants need silicon, it toughens the hide of the plant and makes it more insect proof plant. I have put it on the soil to help with gnats etc. When it gets wet it won't work but when it dries out it is still effective. I only pay $28 for 50 lbs at our favorite feed store.

http://www.intheswim...omaceous-Earth/
  • teddys head and painretreat like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users