• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Am thinking already of how to plan out my next grow. I'm not sure how to go about some things (nah many things), but am thinking everyone keeps talking about having a Mother Plant to go to for clones? not sure So my understanding is you grow a plant in veg and never let it flower? and use cuttings on a good strong plant so you can keep it going? I'm sure its more complex than that but am not sure how you can keep a plant in veg indefinitely... doesn't make sense. And since my veg space is pretty small 16x16x36, if I had a Mother Plant in there then how would I have enough space for starting up seedlings and having room to veg them. Or is the Mother Plants purpose to just keep supplying clones so starting from seeds is bypassed? An explanation would be very helpful, also which type of clone gel or product is the most successful, I'd appreciate the info! thanks in advance!
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

It is exactly for that. Once you find a strain (or a particular phenotype of a strain) that you want to keep around for future runs, just keep a clone of it and use it as a mother plant. You can make as many clones as you desire from the new "mother". You can keep the mother as large or small as you'd like simply by cutting it back more or less often ...and by controlling its root mass via pot size. You can keep the plant in veg indefinitely, as long as it gets 18-24 hours of light a day. Hysterical There are tons of other threads on cloning, so I won't start another one here. I use Clonex gel and have about a 99% success rate with it - both in peet pellets and in an ezcloner.

Edited by Dudz, 12 November 2011 - 04:04 PM.

• Bueller, plant boy, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#3 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Dudz.... don't think my veg tent is big enough to do this but will keep gathering knowledge so I can try to do this cloning part and succeed with it after much practice. thank you
  • Bueller, plant boy, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#4 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Dudz has it in a nut shell Poet.I too use Clonex gel but there are plenty of others out there.Gels and powders.Having a mother and taking clones from her might be the easiest way for you to get a perpetual grow going.
Later,
Blue

• Bueller, plant boy, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#5 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

Seeds are great and all, but if you don't keep a clone of the one(s) you really like, you are not likely to ever find that exact phenotype again. Perhaps something similar, but not the same. Cloning preserves the genetics as-is. You're just making the stem grow its own roots. Hysterical If your parents could have 1000 children (or seeds) - how many of them would be identical in every fashion? Not very many. The same goes for cannabis.

Edited by Dudz, 12 November 2011 - 04:28 PM.

• Bueller, plant boy, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#6 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Great info above for certain , my variable to the answers is my method of mothering a plant .. I dont keep set in stage mothers , My perpetual has no room for mothers who consume plant count . I tend with most strains to just root my cuts and send the moms to bloom while the clones become new mothers to repeat the process again and again .. But I do keep fathers in my vegative chamber , with those I cut them back every few weeks and take a cut when needed to pollenate my selected choice .. Just food for thought as your learning my friend .. Many dont consider these to be mothes but they are as they give birth to the next cut and on and on lol .. PPS

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Another option is to always spread your favorite genetics around to everyone you know (and to all their friends too) and you'll always be able to cuts of them later. This is what I do, even if I'm not needing/hoping to re-obtain them. Share the great ones ...and cull the not-so-great ones! Hysterical
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 3 others like this

#8 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thank you all so much for the information. I am thinking of doing Dairy Queen on the next grow... and have heard such great things about it that I know I will need to learn the cloning so I can keep it going.

The DQ will be started from seed, so I'll have to see/look at other grows with this strain and see what works best as far as topping or lst'ing or both?

I still have time to figure it out, but thank you for answering the "mother" question. If I have understood correctly, when the time is right I will start the seeds as I have in the past and let them veg till a certain point (based on height) and then snip a clone or two and practice till I get it right.

I would have to make sure that the DQ is not in pre-flower when I take a clone right? but that makes no sense.... I would need to have the plant show sex first before taking a clone.. is that right? but that is what confuses me. If I wait till it shows sex, then it is further along and then I would need to make sure I have enough room in my little veg area and keep it there till the 2 DQ which will be flipped to flower finish? Wouldn't that mean that the potential clones will be in veg for a long period of time till the others finish flower? How would I keep the clones in veg at a certain height so they don't get out of control? would I just keep topping it (but I don't think that slows down growth does it?)

My first grow (in case you haven't seen the novel) was with all Feminized seeds, maybe its the sexing part that I am afraid of (though I've tried to memorize what the difference will look like). How long does it usually take for a plant to show sex? Does it differ strain to strain?

Lots of questions I know... its a work in progress.

thanks for sharing all your experience everyone! much appreciated Posted Image

if you're confused after what I wrote... no worries... I am confused too.

Edited by PoetWannaB, 12 November 2011 - 06:46 PM.

• plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

#9 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

If you clone a plant that is in flower cycle, the cutting will be in flower stage. Rooting cuttings that were taken in flower is far more difficult than when taken in veg. And they still have to revert to veg cycle too. If you clone a plant that is in flower cycle, the cutting will be in flower stage as well.

#10 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

You can take clones 2-4 weeks into flower with no problem.They just have to revert back to veg so it takes a couple extra days.It's fine to take it in pre flower poet.When the time comes will be there for ya.
Hugs,
Blue

#11 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

PPS..??.do you always need a male to pollinate the mothers or the clones?? Hysterical
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#12 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

PPS..??.do you always need a male to pollinate the mothers or the clones?? Hysterical

Hi 420friendly ,

The answer is unfortunatly no ...Females that have a XXY chromosomes will shed pollen if stressed , they are known as Hermaphrodites and selfers ...

Female seeds are made by using chemicals to reverse the sex of females with modern seed banks ..

Then there are the pioneers who just collected the pollen from late term selfers ( Another form of Hermaphrodism and Asexual reproduction ) , Soma is a well known breeder who used method of breeding with no males and no chemicals , but of course he had boys to breed with as well hehheh .....PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob , 12 November 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#13 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I would like to see studies that compare Cannabis and its asexual reproduction too Klinefelter's syndrome in mammals and if they relate to one another in theories hehehhe EvillivE .. PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob , 12 November 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#14 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Genetics and sex in Cannabis

Poet , we didnt mean to jack your thread lol .. Thought I would say sorry heheh .. Heres a little link for you and 420 as well ,and anyone else following who cares to know about genetics and sex in cannabis ..

I didnt really get into all of the groupings of Chromosome counts or much , this will help if need be hehheh I know its so overwhelming but hey maybe in time it will make a great reference ? PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob , 12 November 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#15 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Genetics and sex in Cannabis

Poet , we didnt mean to jack your thread lol .. Thought I would say sorry heheh .. Heres a little link for you and 420 as well ,and anyone else following who cares to know about genetics and sex in cannabis ..

I didnt really get into all of the groupings of Chromosome counts or much , this will help if need be hehheh I know its so overwhelming but hey maybe in time it will make a great reference ? PPS

Poet...I hope you not offended by my popping in a question....Hysterical. Your thread helps us think and with one question..... leads to another....That's how we learn..... Hysterical .....right...

#16 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thats right 420 , youll find here that Hijacking is not really possible , as we are compassionate peoples with the same mission .....Poet and yourself are really moving along with the schooling hehehhe.........PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob , 13 November 2011 - 01:03 PM.

#17 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

Great info above for certain , my variable to the answers is my method of mothering a plant .. I dont keep set in stage mothers ,
My perpetual has no room for mothers who consume plant count .
I tend with most strains to just root my cuts and send the moms to bloom while the clones become new mothers to repeat the process again and again ..

This would work for me... thanks muchly, Prof!

#18 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

little lady as i say in the cave video the mom hash plant that is tie down i took clones from . if the clones don't survive i still have the mom. if the clones survive they will be the new moms and i will flower the old mom. once the babies get to be big enough i will take more baby clones and put the older clones to flower. that way i always have a mom and babies of that strain. hope that clears thing up,,,,,you don't need to keep a big mom around, just a small one and babies. pics of the mom and the babies attached

Attached Files

Edited by plant boy, 13 November 2011 - 01:40 PM.

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 4 others like this

#19 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

There is only one downfall to this method, and is (in my opinion) the only viable argument seed companies have against cloning. Bear with me, this is just my opinion.... If you clone a clone, and clone a clone from that clone, and so on..... Every time you make a cutting grow new roots (make a new clone), the plant remembers the stress from that process and anything that has happened to it prior to that time. Each time you do this, the plant takes in stress and has to adapt. Over generations and generations of doing this, the plant is essentially evolving. This can have positive and negative impacts. For a positive, your plant is evolving and acclimating to its local environment - potentially making it less prone to diseases/sickness/etc. As a negative, the plant remembers all those generations of added stresses and will slowly "evolve" into something that it wasn't. Traits will change over time. If you keep a single mother plant, you are preserving the genetics as-is, without all the added future generations of stress.

Edited by Dudz, 13 November 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#20 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Don't worry Poet,When the time comes we'll keep it simple for ya.
Hugs,
Blue

#21 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Dudz there are several 5-10 yr old mothers out there and there are quite a few clone of a clone of a clone out there too. You do get some genetic drift over time but it takes many generations to really drift. But original mothers can survive a long time when bonsai'd. EDIT: Poet http://www.weedguru....=bonsai#p356499 :pns:

#22 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Dudz there are several 5-10 yr old mothers out there and there are quite a few clone of a clone of a clone out there too. You do get some genetic drift over time but it takes many generations to really drift. But original mothers can survive a long time when bonsai'd.

I agree - mother plants can survive pretty much indefinitely in veg cycle if properly cared for.
Once I get my garden back up, I will be doing this myself - except my lone mother plant will be grafted with several strains ...and will be kept very small. I was ready to begin the project late this summer, but decided to take a break from growing for a little while and scrapped the plan until I'm back up and running.

I feel that the clone of a clone of a clone of a clone thing works just fine but I just wonder about the future implications of doing it too much and would rather avoid doing so if possible. There are likely GOOD things that may come from it too but, in my opinion, the added stresses *could* have the potential to make recessive traits (such as hermie) become more prominent over time. On the flip side of the scenario, other "recessive" traits that have been bred OUT of cannabis over time - things we now consider positive traits (such as higher CBD levels) - might come out more as well. Genetics are funny like that - ya never know. :pns:
  • plant boy, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#23 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

No probs on "hijacking"... I do it all the time!!! besides when it comes to sharing information.. hijacking does not apply. my threads are your threads... all is good! thank you all for your input... too many to do a multi-quote thingy. PPS appreciate your knowledge but for me "simple" explanations go a long way, once the techie/pro terms come up ... basically it gets lost in my brain cells... maybe one day I'll get the lingo. Blue, KD, Dudz thank again.... even the links help!!! hugs to all

#24 deke22

deke22

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

my reason for making mothers is simple, i have cracked 3 beans, and as i,m not sure if theyre feminized, i have to take 4 cuttings from each mother(should happen in a week), i will then transfer the cuttings to my smaller room to root and veg.While this is going on i will put the 3 mothers into flower, then when they start to show sex i,ll get rid of any males, including the cuttings, theres no point in wasting time with males, unless your gonna cross breed, which i aint as i,m not at that level yet.So its not only about keeping the same strain, i,m using this method to sort the boys from the girls.When i get the sex, rather than flowering the mother, i,ll put it back into veg where my clones have been and move the female clones into my bigger room to veg then flower.It,s really the only way to tell if you have female beans if your not sure if theyre fems. it is a lot of work , but all i need is 1 of them to be a female and it,ll all be worth it, as i,ll have a good strong mother of white widdowx silver haze if all goes to plan.Thats just another reason to make mothers, to determine the sex of unknown beans, all the best and peace Posted Image. ;-}_,
  • Itinkso likes this

#25 Greekone79

Greekone79

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Could i keep a clone of my plant if its 5 days into flowering, and turn it back to 18/6 and keep that as a mother? Or better yet... Can i bud it out see what the harvest is and take a clone ??
  • Itinkso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users