#27 indoh209

indoh209

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationnor*cal valley

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

WOW!! Wish I would have found this post a while back.. KD would you say bat guano's are a waste of $$? I am in flower rite now and I am using organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses, Indonesian bat guano, Roots Organic trinity, General Organic black humic acid and kelp extract. Did I waste my money on these products?? I am new to growing and want to try and keep it as organic as possible. I am not a fan of synthetic so I went to the organic bottles and guanos.. I am composting a pile rite now, so i do want to find my way off the bottle and would appreciate some good pointers if anyone could shed some light in my direction. THANKS!!!!
  • Bueller, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#28 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Whether you wasted your money can only be determined by you. There is a big variation prices between stuff due only to the name on the package. Everything you named can likely be bought for less if you don't shop by brand name. This requires digging in and really looking. The various types of guano can vary in price by type and how much you buy at once. (you can get it real cheap by the pallet :D ) Your search engine is your friend, time spent now equals dollars saved later.
  • Itinkso, teddys head, SirStickybuds and 2 others like this

#29 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

I ordered my stuff, now I just need to wait for my baby girls! Thanks KD. I'm looking forward to these nutes. Not a bad deal for about $53.00, and that included shipping.
  • Itinkso, teddys head, Zoot and 1 other like this

#30 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm cooking up my nutes, KD! So far, the 2 lbs of Hydro Soil in one gallon of water seems to be a supersaturate. The stuff just does not want to dissolve. I have a few seedlings that are suffering, so they'll be my first run on these nutes. The babies are coming out of a hot soil, into 3-1 hempie mix/soil. We'll see if they perk up. KD, I have a question. If I need half strength Hydro Soil for seedlings, does that mean that I only need 1 1/4 tsp of the juice in a gallon of water? Or half and half of the concentrate to water? I hope I'm not burning my seedlings.

Edited by Desiderata, 08 June 2012 - 02:54 PM.

• Itinkso, teddys head and Zoot like this

#31 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

1 1/4 tsp should do it.
  • Itinkso and Zoot like this

#32 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

It's been a while, but after the loss of the last batch of seedlings due to heat, I've started over now that it's cooler. I do have a question. For the times when two separate nutes are used, can those be mixed into one solution? Such as seedling stage: :::quote::: I set up the mixture so all you really need is kitchen measuring spoons, 1 tsp=5ml The standard full dose for Hydro-sol and calnit is 3 grams each per gallon, I've set up so 2 1/4 tsp per gallon each out of my two magical juice bottles is a full dose. Seedling/clone stage first two feeding of nutes should be half-strength mix of Hydro-sol with no calnit, third feeding add half strength calnit. Test feed the plant full strength and watch for nute burn and back off if needed. :::end quote::: I don't remember enough from chem class as to whether I can mix these things together. I've just given the babies their second feeding, but some of them have not emerged yet. For the ungerminated ones is it fine to give them the half strength HydroSol until they germ?

Edited by Desiderata, 02 September 2012 - 05:36 PM.

• Zoot likes this

#33 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Put the calnit in first and mix it up then add the other and that should do it. I wouldn't start ferting till they've been up a week or so then start at half strength or less.
  • Zoot likes this

#34 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Ok, I'm at a little less than half strength on the HydroSol. Any suggestions on what to do if the dry nutes get wet? The HydroSol seemed damp when I got it, and like a dunce, I didn't put the rest into a bag and I think it's even wetter now. I know it will be sitting for quite a while since I'm only using the concentrate by the teaspoons and I have a gallon of it!
  • Zoot likes this

#35 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

If it hasn't dried out and turned to a big nutrient rock spread it out in a very thin layer and let it dry most of the way then put it in a low temp oven and finish drying it then into a ziplock bag. If it has dried into a big lump it can be dissolved in hot water, it'll just take awhile.
  • Desiderata and Zoot like this

#36 Ditchweed63

Ditchweed63

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSalem Oregon

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Great thread KD. I never could uderstand paying someone to send me bottled water, with a few goodies in it.
  • KnuckleDragger and Zoot like this

#37 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Great thread KD. I never could uderstand paying someone to send me bottled water, with a few goodies in it.

Yep, water weighs about 8.35 pounds (3.79 kg) per gallon then add a pound or two of fertilizer salts and then pay for shipping and don't forget the colorful bottle with artsy labels, those are apparently worth several dollars per gallon all by themselves. :aaargh: deadhorse.gif

#38 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

If it hasn't dried out and turned to a big nutrient rock spread it out in a very thin layer and let it dry most of the way then put it in a low temp oven and finish drying it then into a ziplock bag. If it has dried into a big lump it can be dissolved in hot water, it'll just take awhile.

It looks like I picked a bad time to try and dry out the HydroSol. With the remnants of Isaac here, it's very humid. And to top that off, my oven isn't working.

So my next question is: Can I just mix it into the liquid concentrate? Or will it expire/degrade over time? Or, I could just let the stuff turn into a rock and deal with that later, as long as the stuff doesn't mold or mildew in the bag.
  • Zoot likes this

#39 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Go ahead and mix up some more concentrate, just keep it in a cool, dark location till you need it.

#40 fatboy911

fatboy911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

One geezer to another, a VERY fine article brother.

#41 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I just want to show people that big, shiny bottles with fancy labels is not what grows plants. There several better alternatives out there.
  • stocktonT likes this

#42 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Bump for the new growers.

• Bong likes this

#43 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2247 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

very cool KD

Bong

#44 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Whoa! Thanks for the thread bump on this gem.  I'm certainly going to give this a go as a nice test in my ever changing/moving grow.  Currently using the General Hydroponics Duo series that is not outrageously priced but this is certainly cheaper.  Even adding back in some supplementals like beneficial microbes and such the cost savings is just to big to ignore.   It also appears you can have a much greater degree of control using this system.  I'm guessing it would certainly be easier to run multiple strains that have different feeding habits using this system. 

Edited by esinohio, 03 February 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#45 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20435 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Springs-a-coming bump.... :pns:

#46 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds