#26 SweetCheebs

SweetCheebs

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationU.S. of Assholes

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Sounds encouraging and the price really isn't that high, surprisingly. Hopefully MMJ will soon leave the ranks of psuedo-medicine and again be appreiciated for its abundant and wonderful qualities.
  • Zoot likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Just mixed up my first batch of balm using the roots, stocks & branches from 12 plants; plus 14 grams of dry ice kief just because. iconchef.gif

Got it in the fridge now to cool, then I will separate into two batches & reheat on the stove top add my fresh apple & cherry blossoms for aroma. One for each batch.

Then on to my most needy of friends it will go. smileyheart.gif

Zoot, did you cook all of that plant matter in one batch? What the heck did you use that holds all of that? What type of extraction method did you use? I'm only growing two plants right now, but have some leaf and trimmings leftover from a grow a couple of years ago that I am going to use for a batch of meds soon (my first time making meds!)
  • Zoot likes this

#28 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationGreat Lakes Region

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Zoot, did you cook all of that plant matter in one batch? What the heck did you use that holds all of that? What type of extraction method did you use? I'm only growing two plants right now, but have some leaf and trimmings leftover from a grow a couple of years ago that I am going to use for a batch of meds soon (my first time making meds!)

Yes, I cooked all of it in a 18 quart roaster set to 212, after 2 days of slow steeping i drained, strained & squeezed the mush through cheese cloth. I used coconut oil for the fat to bind it all together. but you don't need to cook that long & the fresher the better.

#29 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have two jars of virgin and extra virgin coconut oil that expired in '05 and '09. Would these be safe to use in making root balm? Thanks!
  • Zoot likes this

#30 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

unsure...but assuming the oil is not rancid it should be ok....I suggest ya wait for others to chime in with opinions....they may have better knowledge than I do... muA
  • Zoot and athena like this

#31 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

unsure...but assuming the oil is not rancid it should be ok....I suggest ya wait for others to chime in with opinions....they may have better knowledge than I do...

muA

Thanks, MediA~ I used the younger one to cook some eggs the other day, and all went ok. Will see what others say. Would hate to waste roots!
  • Zoot likes this

#32 Zoot

Zoot

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationGreat Lakes Region

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

It’s pretty safe to assume that coconut oil should be fine for at least 1.5 years, but in most cases it’ll be fine for considerably longer period of time, like 3 or 4 years. As long as you can’t spot any signs of spoilage, coconut oil is fine to use. Since coconut oil has a lot of saturated fats, it’s a very stable oil. It can, however, go bad, especially if you’ll scoop it from the container with a dirty spoon or fingers. Checking whether this oil is still fine to use is similar to checking other vegetable oils. The first thing to do is to analyze its looks – if there are any signs of mold on the surface of the oil, it’s probably better to discard the oil. If the oil is liquid and you notice any mold, I’d throw it away immediately. If it looks fine, smell it and taste if. If it hasn’t developed an off odor or strange smell, it’s fine and you can use it. Coconut oil (similarly to other oils) can suffer from light, oxygen and heat. Keep the container tightly sealed and out of direct light (e.g., in a cupboard). When it comes to storage temperature – if you store it in a room where the temperature is really hot, it’ll go bad quicker. Therefore, if you live in a tropical country or there’s hot summer at the moment, I suggest storing the coconut oil in a cooler room, like in the pantry. Also, avoid storing coconut oil in a room where air temperature often changes (e.g., in the bathroom).
  • Blue61, FreeSpirit and athena like this

#33 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

cool, zoot!...great info! muA
  • Zoot and Blue61 like this

#34 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

https://www.greenpas...tical-cure-all/

this link said to post questions here for there??? even after a few years of no posts, in that link?

Well, the question is: Stoned Ranger...do you dry your bud prior to use for both methods?

Assuming 'cured' bud only wastes time?
Oh, has any of this been sent for a lab sample, by anyone? thank you. pr

Edited by painretreat, 13 March 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#35 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

"Coconut oil is very trendy for all kinds of purposes these days. My favorite purpose is the flavor and texture it lends to popcorn. But don’t put it in my cannabis topicals please! It’s greasy and lingers on my skin! I’m also not crazy about the smell which seems to overpower everything. And one last complaint: Coconut oil doesn’t even register on the oleic acid scale; which, in case you were wondering, is the fat chemistry necessary to transdermally deliver cannabinoids and essential oils from the cannabis plant effectively.
There are some very nice coconut oil based marijuana lotions available at dispensaries, and there are some really awful retirement home grandpa liniments (stink balms, as we so affectionately named these). I’m not saying coconut oil can’t smell and feel great for some; but, I would argue that it’s not the best transdermal delivery fat for herbal medicine, cannabinoids and the other essential oils in cannabis.
Let’s talk about another problem with coconut oil. Dispensaries need to be creating and distributing topical products that are free of all major allergens. Coconut oil may not be safe for some consumers that have tree nut allergies. And if a dispensary serves medical marijuana patients, utmost care must be taken to manage and disclose allergen exposure. There is a similar issue in medical pot dispensaries regarding shea butter and latex allergies, shea butter being another common base fat that many dispensary marijuana topicals are made from.
Making external cannabis products is not as easy as adding cannabis oil to a standard lotion or balm recipe! And this is the crux of the problem with dispensary topicals: makers have taken standard recipes and just added cannabis, much the same way that they make edibles, and while that technique works really well for tasty and effective edibles it does not work the same for external products.
Fortunately, the fats that are highest in oleic acids, olive, rice bran, mango butter, and are also free of major allergen proteins and they make fabulous base oils for herbal external cannabis products. As a home herbalist, or as an herbalist for a dispensary, you can create a higher in oleic acids topical product that’s allergy friendly, fresh and potent."

This is a quote from Hempista Magazine

#36 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

http://www.medicalca...uticSalves.html another great source! There are many of us who practice the art of making this wonderful med! http://www.hempista....nabis-topicals/ Where I get most of my info and all of my questions answered!

#37 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

Well for you the other oils may do but for me i will stick to the coconut oil. http://www.organicfa...oconut-oil.html i used it when treating my Dad :laughleaf:
  • Zoot and 420friendly like this

#38 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Oh I would like to add my 2 bits ....... sorry that coconut does not work out for you....but my skin and health have turned around because of it both inside and out..... Thank you Pa for turning me on to it ..... I put in in my bath water and ever since I started that I have not needed extra moisturizer and my fookin awful rash on my face has almost all but disappeared and my hair is so so soft :D
maybe you can try it like that Alice and it won't be so greasy ...good luck ....oh and by the way the coconut that goes in bath is infused with cannabis.....referred to as root balm ;)
Not to mention what it has done for me on the inside...... My plate is so damn full right now....( Tig says it is not a plate it a plater GAAAAsmiley.gif ) ..........anyway ......I'm done .........
deep breath >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to calm flyingsmiley.gif
if it were not for Coconut I would not be healthy at all !! and I have lost weight too dancinggirl.gif
wooooh ooooo ....fookin awesome plus I must say ;)

#39 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Funny, everything replied is EXACTLY what it says in the Hepmista rag, by Ed Rosenthal.... At this point I've tried em all, olive is for me.
  • Zoot likes this

#40 420friendly

420friendly

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

IT IS WHAT IT IS.......ITNIT

2 EACH HIS OWN AS I ALWAYS SAY............ bigsmileythumbsup

#41 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Can anybody tell mw HOW the water and oil mixture got started? I'm curious how everyone got their info and where. Then, did everyone just keep doing it the same way? Did anyone ever read any hebal books on healing remedies? Does anybody make their salve according to the moon, using lunar gravitational influence to enhance the strenghth?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users