24 replies to this topic

#1 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Pollen can be collected, stored and used even after 3+ years effectively...

It can be used to make a pollenbank with either small or large quantities of pollen.

Pollen can be collected in a few ways ...with a plant in full flower it can be as simple as knocking pollen from the branches into a bowl :lol: heehe

...other ways are to place a clean paper bag over a branch and shake it

...some people tie the paper bag around the branch and collect the pollen th@ has fallen the next day

...simple cardboard or paper can be placed beneath whole male plants in flower...

But it's never QUITE as simple as th@ for the small grower, is it?

...time spent growing a male is time risked in many cases, as well as time and space wasted on a mere male plant, as opposed to the lovely buds the ladies deliver...

But it DOES NOT have to be such a problem!

Collecting pollen is a fun, rewarding and worthwhile experience...first to just get it done...collecting and saving ones first batch of pollen, but the possibilities th@ open up to one who DOES IT!

...routinely saving pollen from good strains th@ deliver you a male will build a genetic library

...true, it IS a library full of half codes :D hehehe but it means th@ in the course of your cannabis journey, you will find you accumulate quite easily a collection of pollen types

:D hehehe...

when it's EASY and you are COMFORTABLE doing it, collecting pollen will become something like cracking beans, taking cuttings or growing plants

...the more you do it and become familiar with it, the easier is is to do.

I would also recommend one start a seedbank as well as a pollenbank

...saving genetics is wh@ will lead to newer strains

...and also saving older genetics will keep the genetic BASE of this breeding, strong :D

It's all a genetic crapshoot, GPeeps, and we all get our turn to play!

muhahahaaa...

So...

HOW to collect pollen on the small, hobby scale?

Well, here are some basics...

You will need some way to STORE the pollen...

There are many ways and means to store pollen

...all need one major thing...to be an airtight container... hehehe

but there are containers and there are CONTAINERS! :D hehehe...

Film canisters are an old fave Posted Image Posted Image...small, sealable containers...though they are not ideal as they can be prone to less than airtight seals...

Small tupperware containers can be used...Posted Image

Small plastic sweet's containers like the tubes skittles and smarties come in :P hehehePosted Image

I like to use accucheck blood test-strip containersPosted Image Posted Image...they are medical grade plastic, take a range of temps, have a great seal and are easy to label :D hehehee

Another option I am going to try next is storing pollen in gelcaps Posted Image Posted Image Posted Imagein accucheck containers :D hehehe...

pollen should be dried before storing

...it will take anywhere from 1 day to 3 days for the pollen to dry enough to store without it molding...

It depends on the humidity

...the higher the relative humidity the longer it takes to dry...

Do not put in the sun or under a light...let it dry in the dark.

A dry, airless area is best...no casual breezes.

You can put something in with the pollen when you store it, I use a large grain of dry, uncooked rice with the pollen

...it will absorb any excess moisture th@ might be in the pollen storage container

....this is even possible with gelcaps :D hehehe

Label your pollen!

REMEMBER IT!

memories fade and can prove faulty...words speak for themselves...

INK WILL fade over time and with the cold...

PENCIL, however DOES NOT FADE :D

the pencil is your friend :D heheee

DO NOT use codes

...unless you write them down somewhere securely

...otherwise, write a full description with year, month and possibly day, write the strain name or cross in full, with any history you know of the strain...

Believe me, this will come back and pay you rewards as time goes by...

Once your pollen is collected and contained, it can be stored @ room temp for perhaps a week to a fortnight with viability remaining...for a few weeks to many months if it is stored in the fridge or even for years if stored in the freezer :D Deep Freeze preferably.

I have used pollen stored in deep freeze as old as 3+ yrs after first collecting it hehehe it IS possible!..

It IS easy!

...and it is FUN :D ...

When storing pollen one should also consider HOW one will use it when the time comes... :P hehehe

Firstly...I advise storing it in as small as possible quantities...

You lessen the lifespan of the pollen the more you freeze and defrost it...small portions can be fished out of storage, defrosted and used :D hehee

When you pull the pollen out of cold storage, be it freezer OR fridge, let the container reach room temperature before opening it...if it is just out of the fridge/freezer then the relative humidity in the air might condense and render the pollen useless

...just sommat to watch out for :D hehee

Carrier Substances

You can choose to add a carrier substance to the pollen

...do a google search and I am sure you will come across alternatives, but I use plain cornflour, added to the pollen @ about a ratio of 10-1 cornflour/pollen

...though I have had successful pollinations @ a 100-1 ratio cornflour/pollen

It is advised to pollinate in a still-air environment

...leave the plants to sit 8 hrs to 24 hrs and place back in the flower-room

...I am sure I get the odd unplanned for pollination this way, but the branches I pollinate, I label with a twist-tie and piece of card, so know which seeds are which...

You could wash the pollen off the plants after a set time if you wish, but personally I think it's just inviting mold hehehe a nono if @ all avoidable in my books.

For a viable seed to develop, it must generally grow 4 weeks minimum, though 5 weeks is better, IME

Sure, seeds grown for less than 4 weeks might sprout ok, but I have not really tried to grow young seeds out if I can get 4-5 week old seeds...

So..as you need 4 or 5 weeks for the seeds to develop, you need to count BACKWARDS from the end of your plants flowering time to find the time to pollinate.

If you were planning on flowering 8 weeks, count backwards from 8 8-7-6-5-4....so in week 3 or 4 of flowering on an 8 week flowercycle would be the time to fertilize the buds

If you are growing a longer flowering strain, do the same thing..count back 4-5 weeks from last week of flowering to arrive @ the optimum time to pollinate...

Of course you can pollinate earlier and grow the seeds even longer if you want...these are just streamlined outlines on making seeds :lol:

Pollination can be done with a Q-tip dipped in the pollen/carrier, or with a clean small artists brush...one could even dab it on with your fingers if need be...

One could place the pollen in a paper bag and tie it around a branch, then agitate the branch and bag a few times over the course of an hr...

Searching the net will get you a lot of direct and indirect info on pollinating plants.. :D hehehe

The OG-FAQ is ALWAYS a great place to start a lil research.. https://www.greenpas...OG-FAQ/1015.htm https://www.greenpas...g/OG-FAQ/33.htm There are whole sections on pollen, breeding and seeds there ;) muhahaha :D link is also in my sig.

Next post I will cover making an isolation chamber for your male and pollen collecting :D

muA

Collecting Male Pollen
  • bongbonghi, Turpene, KaK and 7 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Locked temp due to Medi's request
  • bongbonghi, KaK, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

Now UNLOCKED! muahhaaa...thanks Paw :) muA
  • bongbonghi, KaK, teddys head and 1 other like this

#4 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

nice bro. i might try that sometime but i have always just used it as fast as its made as i always have a purpose for making the pollen at the time. thanks for this though its interesting. KaK
  • bongbonghi, teddys head, DogFaceDude and 2 others like this

#5 trichome420

trichome420

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hi Medi some very useful info and techniques thanks for posting it up. Funnily enough I just went through the pollen collection bit last week with some columbian gold,isolated three seperate phenos and into the freezer. I use a small metal milo tin and some rice added. Trich
  • bongbonghi, teddys head, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#6 Forceofnature

Forceofnature

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

thanks Medi and great timimg as my first plant turned out to be a male and is flowering atm. my new batch of babies should be all girls but will also try getting some pollen from the best of those. thanks for sharing it helps newbies like me buckets Fon
  • bongbonghi, teddys head, DogFaceDude and 1 other like this

#7 Forceofnature

Forceofnature

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hi MuA, was just thinking i've got heaps of film containers but to get smaller amounts how about wrapping tiny amounts of pollen in alumimium foil and putting them in the film containers.....what do u think? Fon :rolleyes:
  • bongbonghi, teddys head and EektheGrey like this

#8 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

will work, but is tricky to manage...some multi vitamin gelcaps or panadol gelcaps can be taken apart, emptied and used for pollen also :rolleyes: muA
  • bongbonghi and teddys head like this

#9 Forceofnature

Forceofnature

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

slowly getting a few batches of pollen drying and had two questions. firstly the accucheck blood test-strip i assume the actual "test strip" comes with the container are these used by diabetics?

secondly i've been drying the pollen for a coulpe of days on paper.....is there a method to check it is dry enough?

thanks heaps

Hysterical

FoN

#10 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

yes, fon, the blood strips come in the container...if you know a diabetic you might score some easily...film cannisters are also useful until you can get accucheck containers..even smarties tubes work... I do not know of a way to check pollen, but a few days is a good drying time Hysterical hehehe if you have multi vitamin caps they can be pulled apart, emptied, blown clean and then filled with pollen and stored in a sealed container in the freezer. muA

#11 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

Here is a small DIY pollen collection cutting isolation chamber. Collecting pollen with a home made cutting isolation chamber is relatively simple...as is the construction of this one. :rolleyes: hehehe For this I have used a 2 ltr plastic soda bottle and the bottle for a hand held 500ml pump pack atomiser. I cut the bottom off the soda bottle...drilled a hole in it and then expanded the hole by sawing with a good serrated knife and then bending the resulting plastic 'teeth' of the hole with a pair of needle nose pliers....by running it under hot water and using a little force I was able to fit it over the thread of the atomizer bottle. It is now seated upside down on the atomizer bottle. It is now a stabilization platform for the plastic soda bottle, which is the isolation chamber. I cut a disk of foam from a noodle cup and glued it to the base of the bottle to collect the pollen on. The bottle sits over the whole shebang, leaving an airless area for the cuttings to drop their pollen on. One might also cut some half disks of card and sit over the foam base to collect pollen on :o hehehe MUhahahaha...If a cutting is too high, another bottle could be top'N'tailed, giving one a clear extension tube to extend the height of the isolation chamber hehehe Attached File  P1010876.jpg   82.37KB   25 downloads Attached File  P1010877.jpg   134.36KB   36 downloads Attached File  P1010879.jpg   108.18KB   36 downloads Attached File  P1010880.jpg   65.51KB   33 downloads Attached File  P1010883.jpg   101.46KB   29 downloads Attached File  P1010887.jpg   118.46KB   27 downloads Attached File  P1010890.jpg   118.38KB   25 downloads Attached File  P1010888.jpg   119.75KB   32 downloads Attached File  P1010884.jpg   106.43KB   35 downloads muA
  • bongbonghi, plant boy, GoophyPhucker and 2 others like this

#12 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks medi the next time I want to make seeds I am going to try it this way then just brush the pollen on,I found out the hard way not a good idea to do it in the cab,oh and if ya don't have an atomizer I just looked them up they are pretty cheep I saw a 2 pack on amazon for $10 and some change... :rolleyes:
  • plant boy, teddys head and SirStickybuds like this

#13 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

cool, bonghi! :o hehehe post ya pics when ya do...lets see some isolation chambers GPeeps! muhahaha atomizers are 99c each here :D hehehe only good for the bottle, the mechanism is crap! :rolleyes: hehehe muA
  • bongbonghi, plant boy, teddys head and 2 others like this

#14 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

great work medi flyingsmiley.gif

thanks so much for all this :do it: :blink:

Health and happiness
  • plant boy and SirStickybuds like this

#15 brt123

brt123

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

In April I germinated 5 JillyBean and 5 Kaboom. 4 of the 5 JB are males and 4 of the 5 KB's are female. All the male JB's are beautiful. One in particular, he is what I would want in a Mother plant. He has mostly indica traits. His 3 brothers show a little more sativa but not to much. These are really good looking males. The lone female is so different and small compared to them. She is not a keeper. I will take one clone from her to have on hand. I was thinking of a sibling breeding. I can put the plants outside and let nature take its course or is there a safe way to have the male in 12/12 with a full room of females then remove him before he pollinates the room to the out doors. I think not. Hmmmm...I don't really want to have a space built especially for a male, but will consider it to speed up the process of pollination. GP has been very helpful in the information I have gathered considering this and other topics, and want to thank everyone again for sharing. I could go and buy another batch of JB's and go thru the process again...BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT BOY!!
  • plant boy and Blue61 like this

#16 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

thinking.gif hmmm take a look in my lairNlab thread....last page...I built a growchamber from a 32Ltr mini wheelie bin th@ would serve great as a male isolation chamber....if you save pollen form the male it will last years in the freezer and be on hand when YOU are ready to make beans :D hehehe muA
  • bongbonghi, plant boy, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#17 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

dancinggirl.gif bump! muA
  • bongbonghi, plant boy and Blue61 like this

#18 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have some dynamite pollen I collected in cornstarch from my seed run in the freezer.If my vortex is a girl i'm gonna try to make a cross.I'm not trying to make an ubercross the only real goal w/the cross is just to try it for the first time as they are both pretty stable strains.If it's a male I guess I will be trying two crosses on the next grow.
  • plant boy, Blue61 and EektheGrey like this

#19 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

goooooo, bonghi! :D muhahaha muA
  • bongbonghi, plant boy, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#20 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I just tried to seed a bud and posted a pic in my journal I will be taking the bag off about 4 pm today i'll let you know how it goes.
  • plant boy and Blue61 like this

#21 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

heheh chewiegif sweet muA
  • plant boy and EektheGrey like this

#22 EektheGrey

EektheGrey

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Hi, Good day Medi,

Awesome Post

I am gonna try a shake and bag method. Only I just cut the plant where it was mature, and let the lower pods grow. As I cut the top, I could see tons of pollen cascade down like freakin' fireworks. Awesome sight. SO I put it in the bag, and letting it dry over night. Then in the morning we will shake it every so often for half a day, then pick the pods out of the pollen.
Does this seem okay,? the girls are ready to go on these auto's
So what I was thinking, please debunk my theory if you see fit, was to dilute some honey, and just put enough on the brush to make it moist., and place it a bit down in the flower, in a few places on a couple of buds. I am thinking the honey can keep the pollen from flying around? What do you think?

Eek
  • plant boy likes this

#23 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

honey is sommat I have never heard of using eek....fans off and 50%-70% cornflour should act well as a carrier for the pollen...spritz the plant down before putting back in flowering room. an artists brush, new makeup brush or cuetip works well... muA
  • plant boy likes this

#24 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18495 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

honey is sommat I have never heard of using eek....fans off and 50%-70% cornflour should act well as a carrier for the pollen...spritz the plant down before putting back in flowering room.

an artists brush, new makeup brush or cuetip works well...

muA

so where you been hiding,,,,,but i guess it's summer down there

#25 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

things been out of sorts here of late... muA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users