22 replies to this topic

#1 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

swiftly stole this from my pal bayareacannabis!!...thankyou sweetie!!! CONCENRATE DESCRIPTIONS........ Kief – Kief is made without any compositional change to the cannabis itself. It is simply cannabis trichomes that have been separated from the plant matter. This is normally done by running cannabis flowers, trimmings, or leaves back and forth across a fine screen that effectively removes the trichomes and dried cannabis resin, which is collected below. This is where the active components are most concentrated, so the end result is a concentrated cannabis resin that can be vaporized, smoked or added to edibles and topicals. Pressed Kief – Often, Kief, as described above, will be pressed. There are many ways to press kief, but they all generally entail the same method. The loose, powdery kief is put between two large, heavy, flat objects. The kief is then pressed and light heat is often applied. Round pressed kief wafers are often produced using this method. Sometimes, a very refined kief is pressed with heat, creating a dark, rigid material that can then be considered "pressed hash." Pressed Hash – Pressed hash has been made for centuries by many different cultures around the world. Most methods entail using a dry sieve, which is a way of rubbing away the desired cannabis resin from the plant material. A dry sieve relies on the cannabis resin's ability to stick to itself, and to create large clumps of cannabis resin. These clumps are then pressed together between two large flat objects, and light heat is often applied. The end result is a hard and rigid hash that is often pressed into large rectangles or other shapes. Sand Hash – Sand Hash is made using the bubble method. Cannabis flowers, trimmings and leaves are added to a large container with ice and water. The concoction is blended vigorously for about an hour. The cold conditions, as well as the vigorous mixing, separates the cannabis resin from the plant material. Using a micron filter (bubble bag), the desired cannabis resin is separated from the plant material and is collected, dried and cured. The finished product is left loose and can vary dramatically, depending on the filter and cannabis used. Hash Oil – Hash oil is another type of hash that has been enjoyed for centuries by a number of cultures around the world. As with all other types of hash, there are several ways to produce hash oil, and every tenured hash maker seems to have their own way of doing it. Using pressure, temperature and sometimes solvents, hash makers squeeze the raw oil from the cannabis to capture as much resinous oil, and as little plant material, as possible. The end result is a sappy fluid that can vary in color from amber or yellow mustard, to black or slightly green. Bubble Hash – Bubble hash is named from the method by which it is made, the Bubble Method. Cannabis flowers, trimmings and leaves are added to a large container with ice and water. The concoction is blended vigorously for about an hour. The cold conditions, as well as the vigorous mixing, separates the cannabis resin from the plant material. Using a micron filter (bubble bag), the desired cannabis resin is separated from the plant material and is collected, dried, and cured. This is the same method used for making Sand Hash. In order to turn Sand Hash into quality Bubble Hash, it must be gently heat pressed. The end result is a dark brown substance that is hard but malleable. Full Melt – Full Melt is a more modern approach to hash making and is produced using solvents like butane, CO2, ether and oxygen. Its name derives from its ability to melt completely. Due to the lack of plant material, Full Melt doesn't burn like other types of hash. Instead, it melts completely before it begins to burn from a flame. Despite the use of solvents, Full Melt Hash can be some of the most pure, highest-concentrated cannabis medicine available. Full Melt is so soft and contains so much cannabis resin that its appearance is waxy and it can begin to melt just from the heat created by handling it. Super Melt – Super Melt is an ultra-refined Full Melt that appears amber, yellow or mustard in color. Super Melt is the most concentrated type of cannabis medicine currently available and often tests in the 70% to 85% THC range. This medicine is so refined and so pure, that it will melt into a liquid at just above room temperature. It takes a large quantity of high-quality cannabis and an extremely scientific production method to produce a small amount of Super Melt.
  • jangel, Bueller, Desiderata and 10 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

A small vocabulary list we have gathered on our local Oregon site. (Credit goes to Graywolf and Eloquentsolution for this info):

BHO Butane HoneyOil
HHO Hexane Honey Oil
QWISO Quick Wash Isopropyl
QWET Quick Wash Ethanol
QWME Quick Wash Methanol
QWDE Quick Wash Denatured
QWAT Quick Wash Acetone
Reflux Boiling material in a solvent, using a chilled headto condense the solvent,
so that it iscontinuously recycled.
Soxhlet Similar to reflux, but the material is suspended andthe refluxed solvent dripped through it.
RSO Rick Simpson Oil. Oil extracted using Rick Simpson'snaptha or quick wash alcohol process.
Tincture A suspension of oil in a solvent such as alcohol orglycerin.
HAO Holy Anointing Oil
HAOO Holy Anointing Oil Oral
HAOT Holy Anointing Oil Topical
Concrete Raw resin extract from fresh material.
Oleoresin Raw resin extract from dry cured material.
Absolute Purified resin that has the plant waxes, lipids, andother non
active ingredientsremoved.
Holy Shit HAOO with a cinnamon candy flavoring oil added.
Cannabis Acetate Cannabis oil processedin Acetic Anhydride to enable to pass the blood brain barrier faster.
Trichomes The glands on the flowers, leaves and stalks of thecannabis plant that produces the cannabinoids.
Kif Trichome heads that have been removed and collected.
Hash Harvested trichomes pressed into a block or leftloose.
Dry SieveTrichomes removed by sieving plant materialthrough a screen.
Bubble Trichomes harvested using ice water and filter bags.
Full Melt BubbleBubble that melts when touched with a flame andwhich leaves no solid residue.
Turpenoids Aromatic hydrocarbonsproduced by the plant to attract or repel insects and for their otherprotective properties.
Flavoids Polyphenolic compounds with antioxidant and otherprotective properties produced by the plants.
Cannabuttons Pellets of plantmaterial that has been ground and pressed into a button under high pressure.
Super CannabuttonA Cannabutton that has been soaked in cannabis oil.
Cannapop A cannabis medicated lollypop
Cannacap A gelatin capsule filled with cannabis medication.
isotropy - rubbingalcohol
ethanol– everclear, aka ethyl alcohol
vaporize -heat cannabinoids to the point of vapor then inhale
cannabinoids - active ingredients in cannabis

Edited by DEBhasgrn, 30 September 2013 - 08:44 AM.

• jangel, Turf, Bueller and 13 others like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

ohhhh....FABILISCOUS dudz!!!....thankyou!!!
  • jangel, Bueller, SirStickybuds and 5 others like this

#4 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

ohhhh....FABILISCOUS dudz!!!....thankyou!!!

No prob. Sharing is caring! :D:
  • jangel, Bueller, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#5 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

How about making this thread a sticky?
  • jangel, Itinkso, OffDaBaba and 3 others like this

#6 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

your wish is my command!!!....LOL!!!
  • jangel, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#7 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

:D: Again, thanks! I spent a lot of time doing searches on these abbreviations when I 1st started reading here - am sure I've got company in that.
  • jangel, Itinkso, OffDaBaba and 2 others like this

#8 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

:D: Again, thanks!

I spent a lot of time doing searches on these abbreviations when I 1st started reading here - am sure I've got company in that.

you and me both...someone just has to say the word soxhlet to me and my brain farts and goes "pardon me?"!!!!!
  • jangel, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#9 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

Tink you are too funny !! :D:
  • Itinkso, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#10 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

This is awesome info here, dudz and tinker....thank you dear ones....I was just about to but saw it already was...see what happens when I go out for a few hours?

you and me both...someone just has to say the word soxhlet to me and my brain farts and goes "pardon me?"!!!!!

PMSL! you funny hunny!
  • Itinkso, sandbreak and Widespread like this

#11 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Well, no wonder! It sounds like something that the proverbial monkeys using typewriters might come up with - but only as a typo! :D:

Edited by sandbreak, 26 October 2011 - 08:21 PM.

• jangel, Itinkso and Widespread like this

#12 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

Well, no wonder! It sounds like something that the proverbial monkeys using typewriters might come up with - but only as a typo! :lol:

LMFAO!!!...have a deep mental vision going on now!!... :D:
  • jangel, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#13 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

A small vocabulary list we have gathered on our local Oregon site. (Credit goes to Graywolf and Eloquentsolution for this info):

BHO Butane HoneyOil
HHO Hexane Honey Oil
QWET Quick Wash Ethanol
QWME Quick Wash Methanol
QWAT Quick Wash Acetone
Reflux Boiling material in a solvent, using a chilled headto condense the solvent,
Soxhlet Similar to reflux, but the material is suspended andthe refluxed solvent dripped through it.
RSO Rick Simpson Oil. Oil extracted using Rick Simpson'snaptha or quick wash alcohol process.
HAO Holy Anointing Oil
Cannabis Acetate Cannabis oil processedin Acetic Anhydride to enable to pass the blood brain barrier faster.
Trichomes The glands on the flowers, leaves and stalks of thecannabis plant that produces the cannabinoids.
Dry Sieve Trichomes removed by sieving plant materialthrough a screen.
Full Melt Bubble Bubble that melts when touched with a flame andwhich leaves no solid residue.
Turpenoids Aromatic hydrocarbonsproduced by the plant to attract or repel insects and for their otherprotective properties.
Flavoids Polyphenolic compounds with antioxidant and otherprotective properties produced by the plants.
Cannabuttons Pellets of plantmaterial that has been ground and pressed into a button under high pressure.
Super Cannabutton A Cannabutton that has been soaked in cannabis oil.

Excellent job brother Dudz! A stellar job of collecting the essense!

So many concepts are not understood and deemed too complicated by some highly (presumably intellegent)vocal folks, yet can be simply done in the kitchen with minimal equipment and controls. Just because they may find it just too, too complicated, doesn't mean that it is to others.

I haven't found anything that I have done very complicated, as compared to serious chemistry, and suggest that ya'll consider trying some of it a small step at a time, if you are uncomfortable.

Please feel free to ask, if you have questions!

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Edited by Graywolf, 27 October 2011 - 08:03 AM.

• jangel, Desiderata, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#14 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Excellent job brother Dudz! A stellar job of collecting the essense!

So many concepts are not understood and deemed too complicated by some highly (presumably intellegent)vocal folks, yet can be simply done in the kitchen with minimal equipment and controls. Just because they may find it just too, too complicated, doesn't mean that it is to others.

I haven't found anything that I have done very complicated, as compared to serious chemistry, and suggest that ya'll consider trying some of it a small step at a time, if you are uncomfortable.

Please feel free to ask, if you have questions!

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

So very true Graywolf! Much respect to both you and eloquent.

To be honest, cooking is nothing more than basic chemistry...so is soil making.

It is understanding the chemistry and making things come out in the way you wish to ...that is like any science, what works....and that is also cooking!

And here, as on many good sites, we try to make this as easily understood by many folks, with things they can find in any kitchen store. This makes this medicine approachable equally for folks in Australia as in Oregon, as do-able in Canada as it is in Spain...this is grass roots science, at it's finest!

Peace
  • Itinkso, sandbreak and Widespread like this

#15 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

I want to add some terms for butane extract (BHO) so patients are not mistakenly sold it like Montel was in an LA dispensary.
Whip, Amber Glass, Honey comb, Budder, Ear Wax, Wax

These dispensaries basically lie about how the BHO extract is made in order to carry it, either mislabeling it intentionally, unintentionally, or selling it illegally simply because it is in demand. I can personally attest that after smoking some "Ear Wax" that I didn't know was solvent based I had tremendous nerve pain in my back.

Also I wanted to point out that Full Melt does not have to be any specific form of hash. Almost any well produced "hash", including kif, can be full melt when made under the proper conditions and with the proper material. I understand many highly refined chemical extractions are full melt, but classifying full melt as chemical only gives primo hash a bad rap!

The most coveted of the full melts is FMCD (Full Melt Clear Dome) where as the material is heated it produces clear bubbles (as opposed to caramel or darker color bubbles) and melts completely.

Also, under CA state law it is illegal to produce any solvent based extracts. And I am told even buying them from a dispensary and possessing solvent extracts as a patient puts you at risk for prosecution as its a gray area. I've read that because of the way the laws are written you need special permission (I am thinking Government studies?) to legally produce anything of this nature in state. Making all people making extractions viewed the same as methamphetamine 'cooks'.

Dry sift and Water hash (bubble) are still legal under proposition 215 as they are not chemical extractions.

Refer to this case: http://www.chrisconr...3793hashOil.pdf

I will quote a pertinant part of the document for people with shorter attention spans:
California Law:

Manufacture of Concentrated Cannabis Through Chemical Extraction
Section 11379.6(a) makes it unlawful to engage in the chemical extraction of a
substance as part of the process of manufacturing a controlled substance. (People v.
Coria (1999) 21 Cal.4th 868, 874.) It is an additional statute that prohibits “processing”
of “marijuana.” Section 11379.6(a) provides, “Except as otherwise provided by law,
every person who manufactures, compounds, converts, produces, derives, processes, or
prepares, either directly or indirectly by chemical extraction or independently by means
of chemical synthesis, any controlled substance specified in Section 11054, 11055,
11056, 11057, or 11058 shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three,
five, or seven years and by a fine not exceeding fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).” (Italics
added.)

:love: :wub: :D:

:D:

Edited by MCOne, 01 December 2011 - 08:30 PM.

• Itinkso, PoeticLife, OffDaBaba and 3 others like this

#16 KarmaPharma420

KarmaPharma420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationProud NY Dairy Farmer

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

Great Read over a bong of SFV OG Kush Flowers and Kief ( of the full melt nature lol) ! Great information MCONE. Nice Clarification! Cheers m8! Peace and Pot :wub::love:
  • Itinkso, sandbreak, MCOne and 1 other like this

#17 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

Just makes me want to kick myself thinking back to the 70's when oblivious that we had Black Leb Hash... it was sickly delicious, and also Honey Oil we called it and would heat it on a safety pin and spread it all over the rolling papers till filled with cannabis. Guess i'm going to have to learn a way to do this eventually if I want to "taste" it again! thanks everyone for all the term clarifications... I'll learn it s l o w l y !
  • Itinkso, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#18 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:20 AM

LMFAO!!!...have a deep mental vision going on now!!... :love:

i bet you do g/f.... you are very funny, thanks for the laugh. It made my whole day. And thanks for the hard work guys putting the list together. Many do not know a lot of the treminology. Let's make a Cannabis Dictionary, then the thesaurus after
  • Itinkso, OffDaBaba, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#19 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

BHO Butane HoneyOil
HHO Hexane Honey Oil
QWET Quick Wash Ethanol
QWME Quick Wash Methanol
QWAT Quick Wash Acetone
HAO Holy Anointing Oil
Dry SieveTrichomes removed by sieving plant materialthrough a screen.
Full Melt BubbleBubble that melts when touched with a flame andwhich leaves no solid residue.
Super CannabuttonA Cannabutton that has been soaked in cannabis oil.

thanks for extending credit, dudz.
  • Itinkso, sandbreak, Dudz and 1 other like this

#20 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Add:

Isoprenes: C5H8 Semi double bonded hydrocarbon structure shaped like a hobby horse, that is the basic building block of all Terpenes.

Terpenes: C10H16 Two Isoprenes, equals one terpene. Terpenes are hydrocarbon compounds, either in a chain, or in aromatic ring shape, which are produced by plants for any number of different functions.

To attract pollinators, to repel predators, to attract predators of predators, to attract animals to eat the material and poop the seeds, to drive away eaters, to kill eaters, UV protection, etc.

The plant kingdom produces millions of different terpenes, with chains millions of isoprenes long. They also share many of the same terpenes. Cannabis shares terpenes with a number of other plants, such as citrus, pine, hops, etc.

Oxygenated terpenes: Terpene alcohols, terpene ethers, aldehydes, ketones, esters, and oxides. Terpenes with oxygen molecules added in different configurations. These are the effusive and aromatic terpenes that give cannabis its characteristic odors.

Monoterpenes: C10H16 Two Isoprene units with a molecular weight of 136 amu.

Sequiterpenes: C15H24 Three Isoprene units, with a molecular weight of 204 amu.

Diterpenes: C20H32 Four Isoprene units, with a molecular weight of 272 amu. THC, CBD, and CBN are diterpenes, and mimic the function of our bodies endocannabinoids.

Triterpenes: C30H48 Six Isoprene units, with a molecular weight of 408

Tetraterpenes: C40H64 Eight Isoprene units with a molecular weight of 544 amu. The largest terpene found in essential oils, and above the ~500 amu that will pass through human skin and the blood brain barrier.
  • Itinkso, DoobieDuck, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#21 froggymountain

froggymountain

SHeaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Anyone know about using a "rotovap" process for making oil and tinctures? I learned about this process watching a technology presentation by GW Pharma.
  • Widespread likes this

#22 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Anyone know about using a "rotovap" process for making oil and tinctures?

I learned about this process watching a technology presentation by GW Pharma.

Yes. They work well for thin film purging, are expensive, and it is hard to get the finished oil out of the flask, without washing it out afterwards. We use a chamber and Petri dishes instead, which are easier to harvest afterwards.
  • sandbreak and Widespread like this

#23 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

So much to learn, as I'm completely new to this field!
  • Graywolf and Widespread like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users