#1 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to the Renters Trivia , I decided to have fun with this common problem amongst growers who rent ... Being a renter its not easy , once you find a trusting landlord the last thing you want to do is betray the landlords trust you seeked , I dont advise tearing apart structures and making any modification with rentals period , No sense in future lawsuits or loss of refference . Simply put good renters dont do this act ! So my question is ,. You have a 12x12 grow room with 2000+ watts and you have no windows to open for ventilation , you can not hack the walls , floors , door or the ceiling , simply no structural modifications allowed here .. And this room has to be locked according to law .. How would you vent it and stay within the confinement of the law being a renter ? Sure you can ventilate with an open door during the light cycle and defy the law , but what about the dark cycle , that requires a closed door and this is where the trivia really begins ... How do you keep this room supplied with a proper air exchange ? Any ideas or plans that worked ? Just curious to others thoughts , I overcame this common issue years ago .... Dont worry, eventually I ll show and tell my plan in work and it does work lol . might seem a little odd but its a simple fix ! If you have this issue and need my resolution here , message me and Ill let you in .. PPS P.s. , You cant reply with a simple leave it locked and unvented at night , that act alone will create a moldy mess and I would like creativity here as this will help others in this dilema ..
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Well lots of a/c and co2!

Good suggestion , but a portable a/c unit needs to ventilate its heat source just as the lights if there inline cooled . Co2 helps for sure if you can maintain the proper temps. Running 2000+ watts with this configuration might work if the room has external walls with an ambient temp that allows for them to cool ..

No matter this wont wok for the average situation applied here ..Although this is a sure fire answer for certian situations MrWhite ...
  • Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 5 others like this

#3 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

Funny you should ask, Professor! We've been wanting to move a tent to the basement, and I mentioned that we could vent it through the chimney vent that's right there. As long as it doesn't back up into the house vents or furnace intake we'd be fine. Yay or nay?
  • Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 3 others like this

#4 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

Funny you should ask, Professor!

We've been wanting to move a tent to the basement, and I mentioned that we could vent it through the chimney vent that's right there. As long as it doesn't back up into the house vents or furnace intake we'd be fine.

Yay or nay?

I would vent that way , Desi , would be wise to scrub the air or hit it with Ozone ..

I wish your reply was the answer here my friend , this room in trivia has no chimney or other air vents to tie into as well ... Just a plain old 12x12 room with a door .. PPS
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 5 others like this

#5 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

I missed that part!
  • plant boy, teddys head, SirStickybuds and 2 others like this

#6 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Since that is only about 14w per square foot (2000w / 144 square feet = 13.888888889), the heat really shouldn't be much of an issue if you are using co2. Aside from that.... If you are in a house, you could simply choose a room that has attic access, and use the attic access to vent air in and/or out of. If this is not an option, you could erect a false wall (with a locked door) just inside the room (you'll lose a few square feet by doing it) ....and you can put all the holes you'd like in the new wall. Me personally... I grow in a walk-in closet. I suck climate-controlled air into the "room" from underneath the locked door, and I exhaust it out via the attic access. You can build a light blocker at the base of the door entrance (in the door jam) that doesn't obstruct the airflow too much. That way you don't interrupt light cycles. It looks just like this (this is my own design):

Attached Files

Edited by Dudz, 16 October 2011 - 07:27 PM.

• plant boy, teddys head, SirStickybuds and 3 others like this

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

You could also purchase a new door, put all the holes you desire in it, and install it. Save the original door and re-install it when you're done. This was not an option for me, as I need to grow in 100% stealthness. My own teenage children don't know my garden exists ....and they aren't stupid. lol

Edited by Dudz, 16 October 2011 - 07:24 PM.

• Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 4 others like this

#8 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Since that is only about 14w per square foot (2000w / 144 square feet = 13.888888889), the heat really shouldn't be much of an issue if you are using co2.

Aside from that....
If you are in a house, you could simply choose a room that has attic access, and use the attic access to vent air in and/or out of. If this is not an option, you could erect a false wall (with a locked door) just inside the room (you'll lose a few square feet by doing it) ....and you can put all the holes you'd like in the new wall.

Me personally...
I grow in a walk-in closet. I suck climate-controlled air into the "room" from underneath the locked door, and I exhaust it out via the attic access. You can build a light blocker at the base of the door entrance that doesn't obstruct the airflow too much. That way you don't interrupt light cycles. It looks just like this (this is my own design):

No fun Dudz Hahaha J/k ... Your last personal comment is the answer I was looking for .. Its not really Co2 though that is the solution here as it does work when the cool seasons are present .

My simple solution has been a fabrication of inline fans and hoses fitted with plastic inserts that slide under any door way , its simple and can keep any room clean and fresh at the same time with the addition of Negative Ions in the intake line and a scrubber and Ozone gen on the outake ..

I am curious to what others have done , lets see what replies surface in time ...PPS

Edit , forgot to note the external door is a good idea if its not attached to the rented structure , cant damage or modify a rental hehhe or else get evicted lol

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 16 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#9 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

This is a good question PPS.Seeing how I rent I am looking forward to what people have to say.I am lucky enough to have a full size window but I maybe able to expand if the right option shows up.I have know idea if this would work but what about those bags they make for clothes dryers so you can dry in your house even if you have no dryer vent.Can't5 wait for peeps to chime in.
Later,
Blue

#10 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

No fun Dudz Hahaha J/k ... Your last personal comment is the answer I was looking for .. Its not really Co2 though that is the solution here as it does work when the cool seasons are present .

My simple solution has been a fabrication of inline fans and hoses fitted with plastic inserts that slide under any door way , its simple and can keep any room clean and fresh at the same time with the addition of Negative Ions in the intake line and a scrubber and Ozone gen on the outake ..

I am curious to what others have done , lets see what replies surface in time ...PPS

Edit , forgot to note the external door is a good idea if its not attached to the rented structure , cant damage or modify a rental hehhe or else get evicted lol

Replacing the door with your own is by far the easiest solution. A new door is like $30-40 and no landlord can bitch about you damaging your own door.
But having ventilation holes or an a/c unit installed in said door is pretty obvious. I prefer stealth - even without kids.

Edited by Dudz, 16 October 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#11 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

This is a good question PPS.Seeing how I rent I am looking forward to what people have to say.I am lucky enough to have a full size window but I maybe able to expand if the right option shows up.I have know idea if this would work but what about those bags they make for clothes dryers so you can dry in your house even if you have no dryer vent.Can't5 wait for peeps to chime in.
Later,
Blue

Interesting , not sure how this works though heheh

Replacing the door with your own is by far the easiest solution. A new door is like $30-40 and no landlord can bitch about you damaging your own door.
But having ventilation holes or an a/c unit installed in said door is pretty obvious. I prefer stealth - even without kids.

I think the door replacement is simple and quick and its a great note to add . I thought of it as well and the modifiction would be fairly inexpensive .. But I too had to go the stealth with children and frequent company I needed a stealth method and this worked for me ..

I even saw floor fans this summer that could slide under doorways they looked alot like Industrial blowers but residential style .. , going to have to get one of those and try it as well

#12 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

I forgot to say.... EXCELLENT THREAD. 5 Stars! This is an extremely common problem that many people face ....and have major issues trying to work around it. This should be pinned.

Edited by Dudz, 16 October 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#13 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:58 AM

a dilemma for many great stuff PPS :party:

i'd love to see a few pics :hungryplant:

Health and happiness
  • Bueller, plant boy, SirStickybuds and 2 others like this

#14 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:29 AM

home depot or lowes or ace or whatever hardware store by you should sell doors... ...just simply unhinge the one on there right now, cut a panel for a vent in the new one. reattach new one to old hinges ...run the ducting along the floor to the nearest window or outside access through new access panel in door. maybe even hook up an inline filter. use insulated ducting. pull air by putting squirrel fan in a plenum or using an inline "can fan" closest to exit port of ducting. chow
  • Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

#15 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

home depot or lowes or ace or whatever hardware store by you should sell doors...

...just simply unhinge the one on there right now, cut a panel for a vent in the new one. reattach new one to old hinges ...run the ducting along the floor to the nearest window or outside access through new access panel in door. maybe even hook up an inline filter. use insulated ducting. pull air by putting squirrel fan in a plenum or using an inline "can fan" closest to exit port of ducting.

chow

hahahha...i replied before i read everyones comments. d'oh

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE :hungryplant:

chow

#16 DaydreamDelight

DaydreamDelight

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I realize this is an older thread, but it struck my interest on the topic. One thing you hadn't mentioned was if there is a heating/cooling vent in the room. If there is a vent in the room you can draw reasonably fresh air from the vent with the air blowing towards the ceiling and exhaust with a squirrel cage fan under the door, thereby creating an air exchange. Whether its warm air or cool air the heating/cooling system requires a fresh air supply to operate properly thereby being a reasonable fresh air source.
  • Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 2 others like this

#17 Rooster

Rooster

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThree Oaks, MI

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hey this thread is cool. Question how are the 2000w lights spread out? I am assuming its 2 1000w lights? If it is then the solution I would use would be to build a room inside this room out of simple 2x3s or even 2x2 firring strips. I paint them with white killz to prevent mold and rot and then wrap the whole room with Panda film. The 2 1000w lights only need a 5x10 section of this room. For easy of use go 6x12. That leaves you with a 6x12 control room you can use to vent the grow room. This will keep your CO2 use down and allow you to use a portable ac unit just let the hot air blow out the bottom of the door as mentioned before. Added bouses are that you now have a frame that you can screw light hangers, ballasts,carbon filters or whatever you want to. Also you can seal the tent room off and just add co2 no need for fresh air at all. Scattered but i think I got the message down lmfao
  • Bueller, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

#18 pappy666

pappy666

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Locationstate capitol

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Wow glad I found this. Dealing with room design issues, n landlord issues. Im runin 4 600 wt hps at the moment. anyone wana talk???
  • jangel, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

#19 foxlikemad

foxlikemad

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Locationblowgrado montana

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

well if you were moving into a new place this idea would work.. but with your kids already knowing the door.. it would suggest things.. but you can get doors for utility rooms and the like that have vents already built into them. so on the inside of the room side of the door remove the screens and line it with some material to block the light and then instead of replacing the vent on the room side you would just mount your ducting to that side of the door and tada?
  • plant boy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users