#51 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

well, hello everyone... ...happy sunday! the ladies are doing fine. ...transplant on 22nd, today is 25th, so i guess we could say this is day 3 of transplant...we'll go w/ that math (some may say day 4?). anyway, like i mentioned, everyone is doing fine. the hempy buckets actually "retain" more water than i had thought. ...my thoughts were that since it was so porous that the water would evaporate faster than soil. in a since that's true b/c the top 1" is bone-dry, but the lower layers are still damp to touch. that vermiculite is crazy! anyway, i'm at least 2-3 days away from watering these girls. also, i tied down the last girl who wasn't, meeny. now all are on their JOG-journey... ...mccoy and eeny are even already getting their secondary growth tied down. oh, yeah, also...i found a lady on craigslist that will sell me two 4ft two-bulb t5 ballasts and two 2-packs of replacement bulbs for $40! ...i'm just waiting on her to let me know when i can pick them up. chow

Edited by chow, 25 September 2011 - 11:43 AM.

• Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#52 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

oh, yeah, also...i found a lady on craigslist that will sell me two 4ft two-bulb t5 ballasts and two 2-packs of replacement bulbs for $40! ...i'm just waiting on her to let me know when i can pick them up.

it sounded too good to be true, and after 35 mins of driving to meet this chick 50mins away, i get a call. she says they're t8 fixtures/bulbs would i still be interested? ...i told her no thanks, but really wanted to tell her to shove them where the sun don't shine...she wasted my time, and i would've caught her in her scam when i got there. argh...

...back to hunting. :woohoo:

chow

#53 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

...back to hunting. :D

Attached File  IMAG0758.jpg   262.07KB   19 downloads

yeeedawgy...

...got me a t-5 light, a "jump start" light stand (freaking awesome; w/ drawstring for raising/lowering light), and a 250w hps hydrofarm hood/ballast (w/ extra bulb). <<< all for $40 :) (thank you craigslist)

who's happy? ....CHOW IS HAPPY ;)

chow

Edited by chow, 26 September 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#54 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Great Karma Chow ! And the setup looks very nice and came along so fast ... Just a friendly ppoint of advice , reflective material is really beneficial , especially with small personal grows . It can really make a difference on growth and internode distances as well as the harvest we all seek . No worry there , you dont need to go out and buy anything expensive or paint , , I have used old auto winshield reflectors and carboard with setups like yours , some people use space blankets and I once even saw a dude save chip bags and use the mylar for his small grow lmao it worked though ..anyways thats a ramble of thought in case you decide to box this in and maximize the light .. L8tr PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 26 September 2011 - 08:04 PM.

• Bueller, teddys head, chow and 1 other like this

#55 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

..anyways thats a ramble of thought in case you decide to box this in and maximize the light .. L8tr PPS

heyya prof...thanks for stopping in and dropping your words of wisdom.

...yessir, a reflective enclosure is on the list. i was actually on CL last night asking a guy about his dr40, i was thinking instead of setting it up, upright, instead, lay it down on it's side and use it as a veg-tent ;)

unfortunately the guy had already sold it. i've got my eyes on the prize and i thank you for keeping me on track. ...it has moved along rather quickly lately, eh?

what's the best cloning gel out, right now? clonex? i'm thinking about taking a cutting or two here in the next week or so.

chow

#56 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

heyya prof...thanks for stopping in and dropping your words of wisdom.

...yessir, a reflective enclosure is on the list. i was actually on CL last night asking a guy about his dr40, i was thinking instead of setting it up, upright, instead, lay it down on it's side and use it as a veg-tent ;)

unfortunately the guy had already sold it. i've got my eyes on the prize and i thank you for keeping me on track. ...it has moved along rather quickly lately, eh?

what's the best cloning gel out, right now? clonex? i'm thinking about taking a cutting or two here in the next week or so.

chow

Anytime Chow ,

Its great to see your enthusiasm and passion at play . Great assests to have . And yeah this has moved along very fast heheh especially for the budget involved ... Nice all the way around .. Hope all goes well with your tent search . I have to scoop one up to expand my vegetive and cloning stations as well .. But in the meanwhile I made a temporary with shower curtains lined with reflective material hehhehe .. Got some Hippo clips and I made a door and used old dryer hose for vents hehehe ..

Clonex works great , there are some with more additives that are slightly better than the regular jels but yet I wouldnt waste money there .. I have also sworn by the good old rooting powder of yesteryear , heheh I use it for my perenials to save money and when I ran out of gels before I went clone machine to lighten the work load .. Believe it or not the best rooting agent I ever used was willow water .. Very cheap as well ..

Have fun cloning there buddy , Its one hell of a skill to have under ones belt .. Peace ... PPS

#57 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Its great to see your enthusiasm and passion at play .

nothing but green passion! :)

even w/o the reflective shroud/enclosure, the new light is working great! i can see the difference in growth and general plant looks; they're "poppin".

tomorrow, i'm mixing up my first batch of full strength nutes for the ladies (actually, i may go 3/4 strength to be on safe side). i picked up their pots today and i can feel their almost emptied. ...i'm loving this "hempy" style.

i'm still trying to figure out what i've got to do for my flowering area/closet. my desire is to get a tent to throw in there b/c the closet door will not currently close or stay closed all the way. it would be easiest just to throw a tent in there that i can zip up. the only "problem" is that i can only fit a 2'x3' or a 2'x4' in the closet. i can't go 4x4 or 3x3, which are the size tents i see for sale all the time on craigslist. ...i still have 2-3 weeks to decide and/or figure it out, i guess. i could always try to build one, do you think a metal conduit frame w/ some panda-film on it would work?

chow

#58 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

i did a little rearranging of the rack today... ...still monitoring some things, but i think this is how i'll roll on the veg-side, for now. Attached File  IMAG0761.jpg   233.48KB   9 downloads Attached File  IMAG0762.jpg   124.02KB   9 downloads first i lowered the bottom rack for the ladies. then i put the hps on top of the rack shining down on the ladies. finally i arranged the "jump start" stand to where the lines were dropping through the top rack and placed/dropped the t5 below the top rack and closer to the plants. the only thing i've been watching is the temps Attached File  IMAG0763.jpg   126.4KB   4 downloads it rose fast from ~73*F to what you see in the pic ~80*F ...it's since leveled off @ 81.6*F. i'm hoping it won't get much hotter than that. ...this week is unseasonably hot for the time of year, so if anything, i'll trudge through the next few days/weeks like this. chow

Edited by chow, 27 September 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#59 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

it rose fast from ~73*F to what you see in the pic ~80*F ...it's since leveled off @ 81.6*F. i'm hoping it won't get much hotter than that.

hottest it got was 82.7*F...i'm okay w/ that. right now it's 82.0*F and dropping.

...i have a feeling these increased temps will speed up their water uptake. transpiration will happen a little faster w/ the warmer temps, no?

chow

#60 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

hottest it got was 82.7*F...i'm okay w/ that. right now it's 82.0*F and dropping.

...hmmm, not too sure what happened. made some dinner, played ball w/ the boy outside, walked the dog, and come back and it's 83.4*F. that's getting up there. my threshold is 85*F w/ the setup as-is. ...any higher, i'll have to get another fan or something???

chow

#61 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well Well Chow, looks like you have been busy. You are right growth slows over 80F and creeps to a stop around 85F unless you are using CO2. When I started out, I setup a small closet after I got some clones and it was quite similar to yours. I would recommend getting a inline or a squirrel cage fan of atleast 140cfm and putting it outside your closet with ducting leading to the hood, sucking the hot air out of the closet, through the hood and outside into the office to help balance the temps or even better blowing it out a window (best option). For now I would raise the light to adjust canopy levels temps. Best of luck, Peace I forgot to mention that you are correct in your assumption that the transpiration rate increases with temperature
  • Bueller, teddys head, DogFaceDude and 2 others like this

#62 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wow you've been hella busy!!! Glad you got your nutrients and your light and at great deals too!!! the tent size you are looking for does exist, because it is the size I have... 22x36x63 I believe I found it on ebay for $75 new, so it is out there, now you'll just have to dig and do more detective work to find a used one. the plants look great :) How old were the plants when you started tying them down? I know you had gotten them as clones but am not sure how old they were when you had gotten them. I hope it cools down in there for ya... and you can get a fan to help. You do have high pH in your tap! guess you had the pH Down on hand for it! Are you planning on using distilled water for the entire grow? that can get expensive no? I am dealing with heat issues and will be having a friend vent it out to another space to get this heat down in the room..... where the heck is Autumn? :::am still laughing at PPS's story of the potato chip bags for reflecting material .... necessity is the mother of invention no? keep doing what you are doing so well go chow go! lol

Edited by PoetWannaB, 27 September 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#63 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

the plants look great :) How old were the plants when you started tying them down?

thanks poet...

...i started tying them down the day after i got them. my assumption is that they had been rooted for a week or so from clone.

tomorrow, they all get untied and i'm watering them all w/ 1/2-3/4 strength nutes to get them going. i don't want to slam them all at once, so i think if i step it gradually up from 1/2 to 3/4 to full, i should be okay, eh? ...anyone suggest i just blast them right away? ...i've heard in hempy it doesn't matter, some even suggest full strength nutes throughout, but i have my reservations.

Well Well Chow, looks like you have been busy.

heyya L.A.P. ...i'm honored to have you stop in. yes, busy indeed. ...a lot more to come, too! :)

chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 1 other like this

#64 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

tomorrow, they all get untied and i'm watering them all w/ 1/2-3/4 strength nutes to get them going.

woke up today and all the ladies looked pretty sad...wtf? i checked the temps twice last night, and they were mid-to-low seventies, so it wasn't the heat.

i'm hoping it was their need for water/nutes. i hadn't done anything to them between yesterday and today (it had been 5.5 days since last watering).

Attached File  IMAG0764.jpg   294.88KB   13 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0765.jpg   181.69KB   11 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0766.jpg   235.64KB   10 downloads

the buckets were light, so...

...fingers crossed for needing to be watered b/c of the faster transpiration from the higher temps; it's too early to be dealing w/ the "eagle claw"

chow

Edited by chow, 28 September 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#65 Scooby

Scooby

California State Certified MMJ Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

woke up today and all the ladies looked pretty sad...wtf? i checked the temps twice last night, and they were mid-to-low seventies, so it wasn't the heat.

i'm hoping it was their need for water/nutes. i hadn't done anything to them between yesterday and today (it had been 5.5 days since last watering).

Attached File  IMAG0764.jpg   294.88KB   13 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0765.jpg   181.69KB   11 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0766.jpg   235.64KB   10 downloads

the buckets were light, so...

...fingers crossed for needing to be watered b/c of the faster transpiration from the higher temps; it's too early to be dealing w/ the "eagle claw"

chow

I will keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

-Scoob
  • Bueller, teddys head and chow like this

#66 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

I will keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

-Scoob

heyya scooby...thanks, mate.

preliminary diagnosis is that they dried out too much, and from the dry-out may have locked themselves out @ the rootmass a little bit.

...this is my first ~hydro/hempy~ grow, and i'm surprised how quickly this sets in compared to soil. in soil i mostly have the opposite problem where i water too much which cuts off o2 to the roots and locks out nutes. what a difference a medium makes, eh?

they look like they are wanting to make a comeback. i've managed to stabilize my temps @ ~78.0*F by un-oscillating my fan and keeping it pointed at the rack directly. i'll take some pics this afternoon, and we'll do a before/after comparison.

for my notes: today, i mixed/watered @ the "general purpose - mild" strength level (approx ~1/2-strength). 13.2mL each grow/micro/bloom in 10L of water.

chow

Edited by chow, 28 September 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#67 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

okay, i got to thinking about my "situation" today, and i feel so redonkulous.

...the reason i went "hempy" is that you can't ever "over-water" the plants which is what i tend to do w/ my soil grows. so, with that said, i was still in my soil-grow-mode and thinking the hempy-medium needed to by dryer than it actually should've been.

NOTE TO SELF: do not go over 4 days w/o watering. probably best to water every 3 days.

...i'll take some pics when i get back. the are looking better than they did this morning, 70-80% recovered.

chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi and teddys head like this

#68 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

heyya scooby...thanks, mate.

preliminary diagnosis is that they dried out too much, and from the dry-out may have locked themselves out @ the rootmass a little bit.

...this is my first ~hydro/hempy~ grow, and i'm surprised how quickly this sets in compared to soil. in soil i mostly have the opposite problem where i water too much which cuts off o2 to the roots and locks out nutes. what a difference a medium makes, eh?

they look like they are wanting to make a comeback. i've managed to stabilize my temps @ ~78.0*F by un-oscillating my fan and keeping it pointed at the rack directly. i'll take some pics this afternoon, and we'll do a before/after comparison.

for my notes: today, i mixed/watered @ the "general purpose - mild" strength level (approx ~1/2-strength). 13.2mL each grow/micro/bloom in 10L of water.

chow

Hey Chow!

Glad to hear that you're getting the girls stabilized. I agree...it does sound counter intuitive to do heavy watering early in the process. I guess that's what's different about this method. I read on Hempy's thread on ICM that he actually waters every single day until the taproot hits the res and growth suddenly explodes. Then he backs off to watering every 2 to 3 days. That kind of goes against everything else I've read about proper watering but, hey... that's wut da man says to do. Have you read his thread? He's a bit nutty but he and many others swear by his method. And I've seen pictures showing awesome results. That's what piqued my interest. Anyhow, I'm enjoying watching your journey here and am really excited about seeing the results. Sending good karma and happy growth vibes in your direction.

-Scoob

#69 Scooby

Scooby

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hey Chow!

Glad to hear that you're getting the girls stabilized. I agree...it does sound counter intuitive to do heavy watering early in the process. I guess that's what's different about this method. I read on Hempy's thread on ICM that he actually waters every single day until the taproot hits the res and growth suddenly explodes. Then he backs off to watering every 2 to 3 days. That kind of goes against everything else I've read about proper watering but, hey... that's wut da man says to do. Have you read his thread? He's a bit nutty but he and many others swear by his method. And I've seen pictures showing awesome results. That's what piqued my interest. Anyhow, I'm enjoying watching your journey here and am really excited about seeing the results. Sending good karma and happy growth vibes in your direction.

-Scoob

By the way, I will say straightforward and honestly that I do not speak from experience. All I know is what I have read and we all know that reading is much different than "doing." However, I am definitely learning from following your journal. And I'm also living vicariously through this website until I'm up and running in January. :)

-Scooby

#70 GoophyPhucker

GoophyPhucker

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Ola Chow, I have grown Hempys and will again this winter.... What Scooby said about watering every day is a bit much IMHO however he is correct that they will need extra watering until the tap root reaches the " hempy Rez" then every 3 to 4 dayz is good. Also I saw in your pixs you don't have any "catch "trays under your buckets, I would strongly recommend some, also try and get your electrical boxes off the floor, Hempies are known for spilling water on the floor. :)
  • Bueller, father1, teddys head and 1 other like this

#71 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Also I saw in your pixs you don't have any "catch "trays under your buckets, I would strongly recommend some, also try and get your electrical boxes off the floor, Hempies are known for spilling water on the floor. :)

heyya GP, thanks for stopping in...

...yeah, i've gotta go to home d3p0t and get me some catch trays. when i watered today, i watered on top of a tub-top turned upside down. worked well enough. i try to tilt the buckets, when on the rack, so the hole is at the top of the angle and the water is slanted down to the other side of the bucket to minimize spillage. seems to work for now, but i def don't want to mix water and my carpet (which i have a little already) nor do i want to mix water and any electricity. ...."gaah!" is right!!! ...more like "bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzz-pop gaah!" LOL

want to see a before and after from today?

before
Attached File  IMAG0765.jpg   181.69KB   5 downloads

after...not yet fully recovered, but 80-90%
Attached File  IMAG0769.jpg   211.43KB   9 downloads
Attached File  IMAG0770.jpg   223.26KB   8 downloads

i think i'll hit them with a full-strength batch on the 30th...we'll see how it goes.

chow

Edited by chow, 28 September 2011 - 08:40 PM.

• Bueller, bongbonghi, GoophyPhucker and 1 other like this

#72 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

quick q for those mod/admins following... ...how the heck do i use this "multi-quote" thing on everyone's posts? i click it, on the post but it just turns green, how do i move the quotes into a reply? chow

#73 GoophyPhucker

GoophyPhucker

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Ola Chow,
I have grown Hempys and will again this winter.... What Scooby said about watering every day is a bit much IMHO however he is correct that they will need extra watering until the tap root reaches the " hempy Rez" then every 3 to 4 dayz is good.
Also I saw in your pixs you don't have any "catch "trays under your buckets, I would strongly recommend some, also try and get your electrical boxes off the floor, Hempies are known for spilling water on the floor. GAAAAsmiley.gif

Click here to comment I like to "Bold" the reply

quick q for those mod/admins following...

...how the heck do i use this "multi-quote" thing on everyone's posts? i click it, on the post but it just turns green, how do i move the quotes into a reply?

chow

hope it helps
Chow, just hilight the multi quote button in all the post you want to quote, then click on the "Reply button at the bottom, all quotes will be in your reply

one of my hempies
Attached File  100_3640.jpg   356.79KB   11 downloads
  • Bueller, father1 and teddys head like this

#74 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

heyya everyone... took a couple of pics...the girls look okay, they're still on the rebound. tomorrow is going to be a water-day. gonna see if i can give them a little more of a push. when i see leaves that look like they want to close near the stem, i know i've got problems. (this one is clearing up and opening, fortunately) Attached File  DSC_0217.JPG   198.69KB   8 downloads new growth is standing up and not as yellow as yesterday, should be okay. Attached File  DSC_0218.JPG   181.99KB   9 downloads meeny seems to got it worst of all. she just looks so sad. new growth is still yellow and stunted. her leaves are "v-ing" up for me again and not as droopy, so i think i'll just have to baby her along a little more than the rest Attached File  DSC_0219.JPG   217.26KB   9 downloads good news is that we've gotten a little cool-front. temps under light are down 4*F to ~74*F max. chow

#75 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

I read on Hempy's thread on ICM that he actually waters every single day until the taproot hits the res and growth suddenly explodes. Then he backs off to watering every 2 to 3 days. That kind of goes against everything else I've read about proper watering but, hey... that's wut da man says to do. Have you read his thread?

watering every day is a bit much IMHO however he is correct that they will need extra watering until the tap root reaches the " hempy Rez" then every 3 to 4 dayz is good.

tomorrow is going to be a water-day.

i was sooooooo stoned earlier on my cXsd and some grape stomper that i got to thinking. ...and thinking. ...and thinking: i've got to start acting more like a hydro grower

...then i was finally able to stand up and move around. :bong:

i mixed up another batch of "general purpose - mild" mix (1.32mL/L ea of grow/micro/bloom)...ph'd to 6.0-6.5. with not cold, but not warm water...right underneath warm. 4L in all.

then i poured a liter over each girl, slowly, and allowed the excess to drain in to my catch pan (tub-top) that i have (clarification: not "over" the girls themselves, but the medium. i'm keeping girls "dry").

..."acting" like a hydro grower, this was a "res" change to keep flushing the "bad" salts out and put some more "good" salts in.

omG!!! ...they pretty much responded right away. every single one of them is reaching to the lights. even meeny has perked up.

i'll give them a couple of hours and bust out the camera again.

chow

Edited by chow, 29 September 2011 - 02:54 PM.

• Bueller, bongbonghi, GoophyPhucker and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users