chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

is it expensive?

i just checked it out...not too expensive, but i think it's comparable in price to a nice used tent, if i was going to do the film. ...so i may not do the film and just look for a used 22"x36" tent or something around that size.

when buying used equipment, i know i've got to worry about bringing contaminants into the grow...how do i "pre-treat" these items beforehand?

chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

^^
a little hard to see mccoy back there in the blue cup, but look at her leaves...straight out.

now, today, i did a little "experiment" w/ that youthberry white tea. i prob put about 100mL-150mL in mccoy's cup.

Attached File  IMAG0728.jpg   86.7KB   5 downloads

now her leaves are all droop-tastic...almost like she got too much nitrogen. i'm also leaning towards "overwatering" as another possible culprit. anyone have any opinions?? ...other than stop giving the plants tea. lol

Attached File  IMAG0729.jpg   157.26KB   4 downloads

any thoughts would be appreciated. i'm going to keep my eye on her tonight. i never had this problem with my coffee/water solution. ...i don't think i'll be giving the banners the same mix (prob won't give them tea at all, unless i see something crazy in mccoy that would make me want to do it), BUT i do need to find some loot or some nutes here in the next couple of days. ...this could get ugly, if not.

i do not know the npk of the "tea" that i gave her...but the npk of regular tea grounds 4.15/0.62/0.4 ...this tea i used has a bunch of dried berries and oranges, etc...maybe she just got too much of everything?

chow

Edited by chow, 19 September 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#28 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Almost missed the start of this journal... but I'll catch up and be watching! It is wonderful you were able to get things thru friends to help complete your space... karma is a wonderful thing! I have never grown anything Diesel(ish) but have been smoking and medicating with Diesel for many months.... I think it is a wonderful daytime med (just my humble opinion). since I am new to growing I have to ask a dumb question... what do you mean by a "hempy grow" ... what medium is that exactly (like I said.. I'm still learning and soaking up info). was kinda stumped on that one lol I love the names, too funny. Wishing you the best on this grow Chow :bong: (having your grow in your office (if you spend alot of time in there) will be challenging .... mine is nearby me as well and it is hard not to keep peeking in on them without doing "something" actually "anything" other than just peek! good luck) :::will be sitting on the sidelines::::
  • Bueller, chow and Blue61 like this

#29 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

since I am new to growing I have to ask a dumb question... what do you mean by a "hempy grow" ... what medium is that exactly (like I said.. I'm still learning and soaking up info). was kinda stumped on that one lol

hey poet! welcome...

...no dumb questions here, but i can't guarantee you i won't give a dumb answer :bong:

lol

hempy is a style of growing similar to hydro but also similar to soil. the main idea is that you mix 75% perlite w/ 25% vermiculite (or coco) as your medium and water/nute like hydro. benefits are that you don't have to water and manage ph/ppm as much, but hempy still give you crazy-big nugs like you were growing in hydro and more control of the nute regimen.

i'll do a write-up on making the buckets, and the mix, and, and, and when i get some money to buy the stuff... ...hopefully this week.

as a side note, it looks like mccoy may be shaking off the droop. i'm thinking i just "over watered". :fingerscrossed:

chow

Edited by chow, 19 September 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#30 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

thanks for explaining.... so its based on perlite/vermiculite as a medium? Since I am growing in coco i'm still confused on what category my grow falls into! lots of learning to keep doing.

Glad to hear that McCoy is bouncing back for you!

have a great one Posted Image
  • Bueller, teddys head, Zoot and 1 other like this

#31 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

Glad to hear that McCoy is bouncing back for you!

simple over-watering....whew. had me worried there for a sec. ...actually i'm liking the way the leaves are looking so much, now, that i'm saving my tea/water mix from today for use on the banners either tonight or tomorrow morning.

as for our mediums...

some would say that a "coco" grow classifies as "hydro", too. there are no inherent nutrients in coco as is the case w/ the perlite/vermiculite grow. actually the two are very very similar. the only difference (i think) is the medium itself. ...i'd have to nute/feed/water almost the same as you. the added perlite allows for mass amounts of o2 to roots. ...cannabis loves o2 @ rootmass.

chow

Edited by chow, 19 September 2011 - 07:08 PM.

• Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 3 others like this

#32 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

oh my goodness... ...my neighbor just brought over his ph-test solution. it's as i suspected! i have crazy-basic (8.5+ ph) water out of tap! soooo...without even knowing it (well, i kinda knew), i've been "helping" the plants receive their appropriate ph'd water by adding the acidic coffee or tea...plus whatever nutes the plants can leach off the grounds, which in my case is mostly (n)itrogen, i would suspect. i tested my tea/water mix and it was below 7.0ph i watered both meeny and miny today w/ the tea/water mix from yesterday. i shook the tea/water mix every chance i got between making it yesterday and today to keep it "oxygenated" and "fresh". i knocked back the volume of water by about 25-50mL, and so far i don't see the droopiness from yesterday when i watered mccoy. i did notice a little "internal" yellowing of the leaves on meeny and miny, very little, almost unnoticeable. could be just needing (n), but i'll keep my eye on it. hopefully this tea will clear it up. eeny will get her water either tonight or in the morning; she still feels a bit heavy. Attached File  leavedeficiencies.jpg   139.03KB   13 downloads chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 2 others like this

#33 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

i don't have the blueberry, but i'm pretty sure i've got the yum yum :) ...mccoy (sour diesel) is just out of control! check out all the growth (blue cup) Attached File  IMAG0730.jpg   223.28KB   14 downloads so... i busted out the whips&chains and tied her down again. ...going round'n'round. :) Attached File  IMAG0732.jpg   255.19KB   17 downloads Attached File  IMAG0734.jpg   203.31KB   10 downloads chow

Edited by chow, 20 September 2011 - 06:03 PM.

• Bueller, GeeGee, Turpene and 3 others like this

#34 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Attached File  IMAG0738.jpg   197.61KB   4 downloads mccoy and meeny getting some rays in the window... ...mccoy has righted herself from the tie down and should be pushing above the current canopy in no time (the way she's been growing). still on the search for some bigger pots/buckets for these ladies...going to go by a hooters today and also some other places where i think they may have some buckets. ...thanks everyone for your replies in my other thread :) anyone like willie nelson? ...even better, anyone smoke the strain called "willie nelson"? chow

Edited by chow, 21 September 2011 - 11:16 AM.

• Bueller, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 4 others like this

#35 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

r'uh r'oh...my wife is gonna kill me. but, the deal was too sweet to pass up!!! 12 liters of grow/micro/bloom (AN's "jungle juice"; 3 liters/ea) for $45.78 TOTAL. what what!?! ...the girl that was helping me actually went to go double check the price b/c she thought that was liter pricing. either way, they're mine for that price!! slam me now or forever hold your peace. ...actually, don't slam me here, i need positive vibes...slam me in pps' "advance nutes - jungle juice" thread, if you feel "slammy". Attached File  IMAG0739.jpg   223.86KB   16 downloads so...i'm going bucket hunting this afternoon, too. all i need is a little perlite and vermiculite and a bulb and ballast and we'll be rock'n and roll'n. ....also thinking about getting a 5gallon water jug and some ro-water from the store. i don't want to deal w/ this crap-tasticly basic water out of the tap. chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 4 others like this

#36 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

heyya everyone... ...what's the haps on the craps? the ladies over here are doing fine... meeny was looking a little "dry"; i picked her up and she was indeed light. so i mixed up my first batch of jungle juice today. .4mL grow .4mL micro .4mL bloom ...all mixed into 1L of ph'd water (ph downed to ~6.0-6.5). we'll see where that takes us. chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 3 others like this

#37 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

well...i did it. no i unfortunately i wasn't able to find any buckets at hooters, but...... i was able to score some 3gal containers for $2/ea. so all 4 for under $9! ...i think that's pretty good. i also went to home d3p0t and picked up some perlite and vermiculite because the hydro store by my house didn't carry vermiculite, and they were out of perlite. so i got home and went to work. for those of you who have never heard of hempy, i went ahead and documented my steps for future reference. like i mentioned, i went and bought some 3gal containers. these are your typical plastic buckets you would see for mop use. the dollar store was 3x cheaper than ace hardware, fyi. anyway, i brought them home and got them ready for the "hempy / hempie" grow here's what i did... got my 1" drill bit attached it to my drill and got my tape measure and measured 1" from the bottom of the bucket. from this point i measured another .5" up and marked a dot. i used this dot for my center point of my bit and drilled out the holes on all 4 buckets Attached File  IMAG0740.jpg   205.31KB   2 downloads next, i got out my 5/16" drill bit and drilled holes all around the upper part of the bucket. i then ran zip ties through these holes to use for lst as the plant grows... Attached File  IMAG0741.jpg   108.18KB   4 downloads Attached File  IMAG0742.jpg   138.38KB   12 downloads next i mixed up the buckets, 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite (75%/25%)...i washed each bucket w/ ~2gal of ph'd water when it was fully loaded w/ the p/v mix. then i tested the run-off from each and all were 6.0-6.5ph. Attached File  IMAG0743.jpg   276.57KB   25 downloads ...i used an empty cup as a "place holder" so that at transplant i could just remove the cup and put the other rootmass with minimal effort. THEY WERE READY...FO SHO!!! Attached File  IMAG0744.jpg   159.4KB   24 downloads Attached File  IMAG0745.jpg   194.17KB   24 downloads all seem happy in their new homes... Attached File  IMAG0747.jpg   179.91KB   15 downloads now i've just got to get some sort of light on them other than these that i have. in a few days i will give them another dose of jungle juice to treat the new medium. chow

Edited by chow, 22 September 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#38 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Glad to see you rinsed it all with properly Ph'd H20 ... Just a note have only seen Miracle Grow Perlite at Home Depot so an FYI if thats your score becareful they spray that down with there nutes very well ... Might not need any nutes for a few my friend .. Thats if you got MG perlite or Vermiculite .. Not sure if they still distribute Vermiculite as I have not seen there brand in years but the Perlite I see all the time ... PPS
  • Bueller, teddys head, chow and 1 other like this

#39 Scooby

Scooby

California State Certified MMJ Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'm in the process of trying to figure out my grow space at the moment. When it's figured out I'm going to be growing hempy style, too. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress and learning how it plays out. By the way... did you transplant your girls with a soil rootmass straight into the Perlite/Vermiculite concoction? If so, does that have any effect on the plants at all in terms of speed of growth or anything like that? Thanks! Scoob

#40 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

By the way... did you transplant your girls with a soil rootmass straight into the Perlite/Vermiculite concoction? If so, does that have any effect on the plants at all in terms of speed of growth or anything like that?

i still have to validate, but i think the clones were in coco. either way soil or coco, they should be okay. i made sure to cover all the previous medium in perlite just to be sure. ...for future clones that i do myself, they will be in 16oz hempy-cups

Might not need any nutes for a few my friend .. Thats if you got MG perlite or Vermiculite

prof, i don't have the exact brand, right now b/c the bags are in the garage, but it wasn't MG...and they were not nuted. just straight plain jane. thanks for the heads-up, though!

a funny side note: i forgot to transfer the names, so now i'm sitting here in front of the comp playing pic-detective. lol...i think i have it figured out. ...i think :D

chow

#41 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

Good to hear your HDepot had another brand stocked other than Mg BRANDS .Perhaps Sta-Green thats the other I have seen them stock there Perlite and Vermiculite . Forgot the tags hhehe ... Youll have them memorised by pheno and strain in no time my friend .. L8tr ..PPS

#42 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

.Perhaps Sta-Green thats the other I have seen them stock there Perlite and Vermiculite .

these were the ones i got

...both came in 2 cuft. bags.

Attached File  2172735c-272b-4a80-8e41-2eb406c6bdc3_300.jpg   10.69KB   14 downloads
Attached File  d95aaa76-85e2-4bef-acd6-d3c9eaec8fd8_300.jpg   9.94KB   13 downloads

therm-o-rock ?

chow

Edited by chow, 22 September 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#43 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Wish they carried that here ... Anyways have fun with the Hempy grow .. I have a feeling your going to Mc love it lol .L8TR ........

#44 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

so today is day 2 of the transplant and day 10 since i picked up the clones ... ...everyone looks fine. the sd ('mccoy') and 'eeny' one of the banners look awesome, actually. meeny and miny may be a little "shocked". actually, before the transplant, i'm sure i shocked miny f'ing around with her one night when i was stoned and trying to put her into bondage. so for the next few days, i'll monitor them, but so far so good. i tied down mccoy and eeny today w/ the new equipment that i preset into the buckets. worked like a charm! Attached File  IMAG0751.jpg   326.37KB   9 downloads ...in the morning i'm meeting a man about a 400w hps mag. ballast and reflector that he's had sitting in his garage since 2006. ...for $45 (originally asking $80; you like those neg. skillz?!?) i'll drive 15 mins to see what he's got. he sent a pic and it looks legit, but you never know until you get up close. let's hope it's a good deal. the buckets still feel heavy, so i'm willing to guess it'll be another 3-4 days before i even start thinking about watering them. ...the good thing (from what i've read, remember this is my first time hempy) is that you can tell when the plants need to be watered by picking up the buckets and feeling the weight. ...they were super duper light when i had everything in them and weren't watered, so i have somewhat of a mental "benchmark". chow

Edited by chow, 24 September 2011 - 12:43 AM.

#45 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Like the log Chow! Lots of information on what and why you are doing in your grow. Well written, good thoughts, good questions! Like it a lot so far,,,,, and looking forward to more! Hope that HPS deal comes thru, that is a hell of a good price! Peace!~ Pete
  • SirStickybuds, MCOne, chow and 1 other like this

#46 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Lots of information on what and why you are doing in your grow.

Well written, good thoughts, good questions!

well thanks, pete! i try to just write this as a "journal" for me with the hopes that someone can learn from my successes and failures along the way. i'm very analytical and "scientific"...i guess you could say.

GOOD NEWS...

...i met the guy this morning and actually i misspoke last night. the deal was actually 80 for both ballast and fixture or 45 that i had talked him down to for just the ballast. i took the gamble and bought it...the output looked the same, but i was sweating bb's on the way home thinking i just screwed the pooch by buying it w/o being sure (would've been $45 out of pocket, wasted). anyway, i got home, brought the ballast down and lo-and-behold, it pluged right in. ...well one of the two plugged right in, but all i need is one for fun!

i'm going to scour craigslist and ebay to see if i can get a moderately priced hps bulb w/ more blue spectrum than normal...

yeehaw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbG7256ZLY

chow
  • bongbonghi, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#47 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

i'm going to scour craigslist and ebay to see if i can get a moderately priced hps bulb w/ more blue spectrum than normal...

i found this one on ebay and just ordered it for $18.99 w/ shipping.

plantmax 400w hps (adjusted spectrum)
Attached File  plantmax.jpg   386.49KB   6 downloads

i searched through a couple of forum posts and didn't see anyone straight up bashing the lamp. we'll see how it goes.

i'm thinking a 10/15ish date for start of flower...let these girls grow a little more in veg then pop them under that 400hps for 60-75 days. i'm currently looking for a 2ft or 4ft t5 fixture to put over the ladies in veg. will let you know how that hunt goes.

chow
  • bongbonghi, teddys head, SirStickybuds and 1 other like this

#48 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

'miny' was looking strong today, so she just got tied down. 'meeny' looks strong enough for a tie down, but i'm going to wait til later today or tomorrow. here's a pic of the tie... Attached File  IMAG0752.jpg   308.8KB   25 downloads ^^i've come to realize that if i'm going to tie down the top of the plant i need to "support" the bottom of the plant in the opposite direction to avoid the "stress" that i gave them when i was trying to do it in the solo-cups. ...notice miny has an "opposite-tie" on the lower main stem. chow
  • bongbonghi, teddys head, SirStickybuds and 2 others like this

#49 Transcendence

Transcendence

South of Heaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationUnder the Sun, High watchng the Waves

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Keep up the great work chow! Looking good, those babies are gonna take off! PeAcE!

#50 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

Keep up the great work chow! Looking good, those babies are gonna take off! PeAcE!

thanks transcendence!

the bulb i ordered should be here sometime this upcoming week, then they go under the hps for 24/0 for a week or two. i usually like to run 18/6 after the clone-growth/flouro/24hr stage under mh, but money/equipment is limiting some things. so since my closet isn't light-proofed, and i don't have a tent yet, and i don't have a mh, i'll have them under 24/0 hps until i can figure something out. ...definitely going to figure something out before oct. 15th. i'm going to try to have a harvest a week before christmas, that way i'll have some of this chrizity-chron to smoke on for new years.

chow
  • Bueller, bongbonghi, teddys head and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users