• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#351 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

so dedicated that you didn't get to sleep? ugh... take some power naps and get that energy back up! I am amazed at your grow style.... and will be pouring over your journal from the beginning to watch the lst'ing closer. I copied your buckets with the zip ties and now have to get up the courage to bend the little ones over before they get too rigid.
So my question is.. do I have this right---> bend over at a 45 degree angle to start and do it on the main stem... then when 4 - 6" of new growth.. continue to bend around the pot.
Question's:
  • When there is new growth of 4"+ , do I release the part that was tied down and simply tie down in the new growth part
  • You don't let the tie downs remain correct? or incorrect? (I am thinking I release each tie as a new one is placed)
  • When doing this, am I aiming only to tie down the main stem? (I am getting nervous now that new shoots/stems are popping up and want to try and do this as closely to what is required... with a big learning curve of course.
ok, off to the beginning of the journal and will stare at the pics. If I could end up with a plant structure 1/4 as good as yours its a win win. I've heard some people top + lst.... but am not sure if it would make it more difficult, but hear it does increase yield.
thanks for showing a beautiful journal from beginning to end.. and its not over!
ps did you use a silica product at all to help with the bending or it was just started early enough that it wasn't an issue?

beautiful job there chow!!!

Edited by PoetWannaB, 02 January 2012 - 06:03 PM.

• Turpene, teddys head, OffDaBaba and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#352 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

so dedicated that you didn't get to sleep? ugh... take some power naps and get that energy back up! I am amazed at your grow style.... and will be pouring over your journal from the beginning to watch the lst'ing closer. I copied your buckets with the zip ties and now have to get up the courage to bend the little ones over before they get too rigid.
So my question is.. do I have this right---> bend over at a 45 degree angle to start and do it on the main stem... then when 4 - 6" of new growth.. continue to bend around the pot.
Question's:

• When there is new growth of 4"+ , do I release the part that was tied down and simply tie down in the new growth part
  • You don't let the tie downs remain correct? or incorrect? (I am thinking I release each tie as a new one is placed)
  • When doing this, am I aiming only to tie down the main stem? (I am getting nervous now that new shoots/stems are popping up and want to try and do this as closely to what is required... with a big learning curve of course.
ok, off to the beginning of the journal and will stare at the pics. If I could end up with a plant structure 1/4 as good as yours its a win win. I've heard some people top + lst.... but am not sure if it would make it more difficult, but hear it does increase yield.
thanks for showing a beautiful journal from beginning to end.. and its not over!
ps did you use a silica product at all to help with the bending or it was just started early enough that it wasn't an issue?

beautiful job there chow!!!

hey poet!

gonna bust out the whips and chains, eh? well, if you have any other questions, let me know...here's my try at answering the ones you've already asked

>i tie as soon as i feel the branch can take the strain. i usually wait until the new growth already has another node or two above it before i try to tie. when/if i tried to tie the younger stuff, it would just pop off or get all nasty and mangled.

>the angle i really don't pay attention to...just "listen" to your plants, they'll tell you when they're where they need to be

>i tie down for 3 days and release for 3 days, give or take. the tie will lead the plant where you want it to go via lst, the release will make sure that you're building good cell structure and you're not creating any weak-spots at any of the bends

>i always start "bottom-up", meaning i start w/ the main branch on the bottom and put a tie in the opposite direction i'll be pulling the top part (usually close to the top or at top, depending on age/size of plant). this ensures the plant stays "centered". as it ages, you'll have to adjust-up where you put the initial tie...you'll understand why when you see it, kinda hard to explain other than the plant goes "barky" and will have its lst-structure more pronounced as you go along.

>I DO NOT TOP, nor do i recommend. all my reading and studying has said that this isn't a viable way to increase yield and actually potency may suffer a bit. believe me, there's no need to top, if you're lst'ing like i did. these were tough to manage as is.

>no additives were used other than the grow/micro/bloom ferts amended to the medium

>first 2-3 weeks of flower, still lst! this is probably the most important time, but can be the hardest to do b/c of stretch and the stems start becoming rigid. keep an eye on how much and where you're bending b/c the propensity for the stem to "split" at the bend increases. ...ask me how i know.

>DO NOT FOLIAR FEED WHILE PLANTS ARE LST'd. i don't foliar feed at all, no needy. (well, i may be lying...i foliar fed like 3-4 times this go round, but it introduced more probs than it helped!!)

did i miss anything?

chow
  • Turpene, teddys head, OffDaBaba and 1 other like this

#353 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

made some dry ice kief with all my sugar-leaf trim (if it didn't have crystals, it didn't go in bag)... ~29g's of some grade aaa stuff!!! made me a little "worm" when i was scraping it all together Attached File  IMAG0173.jpg   342.62KB   22 downloads pressed some and kept some powdery too...the powdery stuff cakes up, tho :toking: Attached File  IMAG0177.jpg   140.17KB   28 downloads pressed discs turned dark green/brown Attached File  IMAG0178.jpg   244.44KB   21 downloads i haven't touched the ground all day :rolleyes: chow
  • GoophyPhucker, teddys head and Scooby like this

#354 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

this post concludes my grow, for there are no other grow activities for these plants pre-harvest/post-harvest.

thank you all for you kind words and support throughout; it's so nice to be a part of this community

Attached File  IMAG0175.jpg   108.9KB   8 downloads

Posted Image

if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask

mods you can move this journal to the "completed" section of the site.

chow

p.s.
...want more action??? see my "current grow" in my signature below

• Bueller, Turpene, GoophyPhucker and 3 others like this

#355 Scooby

Scooby

California State Certified MMJ Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Awesome journal, Chow!!! From start to finish it was outstanding. I learned a LOT from watching what you did and enjoyed reading as the adventure progressed. You got some really beautiful plants out of it and showed some real skill. Thanks for the in depth pics and answering all of the questions I threw at you. I'm looking forward to watching your next grow in progress. If all turns out as expected, you'll have something of mine to read and follow within the next few weeks. It's in motion as I type. Anyhow, congrats again on a great grow. Go Hempies!!! -Scoob
  • teddys head, SirStickybuds and chow like this

#356 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

How are you even typing anything right now? :rolleyes:
  • Scooby and chow like this

#357 lovedank420

lovedank420

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

bruce banner looks absolutely amazing chow. you did her proud.

#358 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

What a wonderful journey its been, and a phenomenal harvest! Thank you for explaining it more to me, I appreciate all your input. You will have all you need now and that is uber wonderful... enjoy!!!

Posted Image

#359 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Awesome journal, Chow!!! From start to finish it was outstanding. I learned a LOT from watching what you did and enjoyed reading as the adventure progressed. You got some really beautiful plants out of it and showed some real skill. Thanks for the in depth pics and answering all of the questions I threw at you. I'm looking forward to watching your next grow in progress. If all turns out as expected, you'll have something of mine to read and follow within the next few weeks. It's in motion as I type. Anyhow, congrats again on a great grow. Go Hempies!!!

-Scoob

it's been a pleasure to have you scoob...you had some very insightful questions that you asked and i'm positive your contributions enriched this thread. ...thanks again for tagging along, scoob :D

How are you even typing anything right now? :bong:

...at least i'm not stephen hawking. i just read an article saying he's one of the oldest survivors of lou gehrig disease, BUT he communicates through cheek twitching. it can take him 10mins to form just one sentence! it took him (i think they said) 8yrs just to write his last book! lol.

...anyway, yeah, typing...lol. thanks for stopping by desi. stickmangif

bruce banner looks absolutely amazing chow. you did her proud.

she's curing nicely too. i'd say in a couple of more weeks she should be just about where she needs to be and will only be getting better with age. thanks for stopping in and for the compliments, ld420. :rolleyes:

What a wonderful journey its been, and a phenomenal harvest! Thank you for explaining it more to me, I appreciate all your input. You will have all you need now and that is uber wonderful... enjoy!!!

Posted Image

we are pack animals by nature...and really and truly cannot be better than the pack allows us to be. for the strength of the pack, i like to share how little and how much i know :)

...thanks for being one of my cheerleaders, poet. :bananas:

chow
  • Scooby likes this

#360 lovedank420

lovedank420

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

hey chow, I i saw the patriots helmet in one of your pics.... you a pats fan?
  • Scooby likes this

#361 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

hey chow, I i saw the patriots helmet in one of your pics.... you a pats fan?

Nah, not really.

...that was my Texas aggie bonfire pot and that patriots emblem was our rotc company logo. "Live free or die" was our motto.

...man I miss bonfire. It fell my junior year. RIP ags.

chow
  • Scooby likes this

#362 GoophyPhucker

GoophyPhucker

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for post a great grow journal CHOW! :bong:
I'm already lookin forward ta the next one....
  • plant boy and Scooby like this

#363 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

:bong: Attached File  IMAG0185.jpg   139.38KB   13 downloads *note: the "work" is not from this grow, but the pic sure is pretty, no? chow

#364 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Attached File  IMAG0185.jpg   139.38KB   13 downloads

...so, i gave one of my close friends a couple of g's of banner hash before i left denver... the "melt your brain" stuff...

anyway, i get a call the other day from him (almost 2 years later), saying the night before he had ordered some delivery chinese. well...long story short, chinese said they'd be 55min-1hr to deliver, and my buddy said he woke up to banging on the door. lol. he hit the hash and passed out sitting up w/ the pipe in his hand! lol

that story made me want to read my journal again...so here i am. :D/>

chow
  • plant boy, KnuckleDragger and PoeticLife like this

#365 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

:lol: Sounds like a good reason to me....
  • plant boy and PoeticLife like this

#366 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

"melt your brain stuff" sounds like a nice visit to neverland :)

so when will you be jjournaling again? always enjoyed your journal :)
  • plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#367 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

i'm getting an itch on my green thumb...

...the hempy beast may be awakening.

chow

• plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#368 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21668 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Well kick in the nads and get going... :lol:

• plant boy and chow like this