Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Why Should I Not Use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 SirStickybuds

SirStickybuds

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

My first ever crop years ago I used some 99 cent bags of dirt, and peters and mg water soluble fertilizers and it worked fine. Of course back then I didn't pay attention to taste as much and was just happy to have some homegrown nuggets. Now that I know how easy it is to have organic meds for just a lil' more money, it's the only way to go. As stated above why buy MG when you can go to lowes and get a bail of Spagnum peat. add lime, perlite, and some compost or castings. Then mix in some of the easiest organic and natural ferts I've found on the store shelves, Espoma Biotone or Plant tone and maybe some extra bone meal for flower(also available at lowes and other chain stores). Organic soil mix that costs very lil' and grows great bud. How do I know? I used it before adding subcool's supersoil to my flowering regimen. Puts MG to shame!

• alienseeker, OniusOniusOnius, Itinkso and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#77 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Last week I picked up some of the soil mix that's featured in this video... though there isn't as much info. on the bag as I would like, and the site doesn't offer much enlightenment...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=42r_WSDEhVI

I figure it's worth a shot.

This soil (Gardeners Gold) is much better than MG - I'm amazed at the difference in my two newest plants. (Though I would like to test it with the strain I grew last - no clones or seeds, unfortunately.) And Gardeners Gold is very inexpensive compared to FFOF (pretty much the same mixture) - 5.00 USD per 8-quart bag.

Makes me want to try mixing my own soil next...
  • alienseeker, OniusOniusOnius, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#78 DirtMcJerk

DirtMcJerk

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationsparta area

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

my brother uses MG in his grow and his medical M.J. comes out real good. i dont use it myself because i dont like the taste even after a super flush. somehow even after flushing well the taste carries over and while smoking the weed grown in it it tastes like coopersville smells. yuk.
  • OniusOniusOnius, Itinkso, SirStickybuds and 2 others like this

#79 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

i've used it for years with no problems whatsoever. But i do use a nute line after about a month or two in vegging in MG.
  • OniusOniusOnius, Itinkso, SirStickybuds and 1 other like this

#80 spellcheckdependant

spellcheckdependant

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationnorthern cal. USA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

I have heard you can taste it. I have no proof of that.
  • jangel, Itinkso and SirStickybuds like this

#81 brim

brim

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

if monsanto ownes it, i wont use it, if at all possible...peace
  • OniusOniusOnius and SirStickybuds like this

#82 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have heard you can taste it. I have no proof of that.

You can't taste it any more than any other nutes, the actual amounts in their grow mix is pretty low. The big problem with their mix is it can be too "hot" for seedlings.

if monsanto ownes it, i wont use it, if at all possible...peace

Nope, Monsanto doesn't own it though they have purchased a couple of product lines from Monsanto.
  • 1995: Scotts merged with Sterns Miracle-Gro Products, Inc. Horace Hagedorn (1916–2005) and his partner Otto Stern founded the Miracle-Gro organization in 1951, with the slogan "you don't have to be an expert to create a beautiful garden."[6]
  • 1999: Scotts acquires the Ortho and Roundup brand from Monsanto Chevron.
  • 2002: Scotts LawnService acquires The Lawn Company, a major lawn care service company in the Boston area.[7]
  • 2002: Scotts LawnService acquires substantially all of the lawn care operations of Centex HomeTeam Services, a division of Centex Corporation.[8]
  • 2004: Scotts acquires Smith & Hawken, Ltd., a brand in the outdoor living and garden lifestyle category.[9]
  • 2005: Scotts acquires the Rod McLellan Company, a provider of soil and landscape products in the western U.S.[10]
  • 2005: Scotts acquires Gutwein & Co. Inc., whose Morning Song brand is a part of the growing wild bird food category.[11]
  • 2006: Scotts acquires certain brands and assets from Turf-Seed, Inc., a producer of commercial turfgrasses for more than 35 years.
  • 2006: Scotts acquires certain brands and assets from Landmark Seed Company, a producer and distributor of professional seed and turfgrasses.

• OniusOniusOnius, SirStickybuds and sandbreak like this

#83 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

"Too hot for seedings": I've not found that - in fact, I have germed 4 seeds in MG and had everything work out fine; also no problems when putting 3 just-cracked seeds into MG. No burn, no problems. (Have been putting seeds into soil for the past 2 grows and no problems; don't think I'll ever use paper towels again.) But I might've been lucky. Or else it's not as bad for seedlings as everyone says, maybe?

Edited by sandbreak, 11 March 2012 - 05:55 PM.

• SirStickybuds and OffDaBaba like this

#84 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

"Too hot for seedings": I've not found that - in fact, I have germed 4 seeds in MG and had everything work out fine; also no problems when putting 3 just-cracked seeds into MG. No burn, no problems. (Have been putting seeds into soil for the past 2 grows and no problems; don't think I'll ever use paper towels again.)

But I might've been lucky. Or else it's not as bad for seedlings as everyone says, maybe?

Kind of depends, some seeds are more sensitive than others. That being said, I actually like their potting soil if you treat it as soil-less media with added nutes which is what it really is. Overall it has a good texture and works pretty well. You just have to make adjustments for the slow release ferts they use in the mix.
  • SirStickybuds, OffDaBaba and sandbreak like this

#85 spellcheckdependant

spellcheckdependant

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

As a first timer I can tell you that if you over water MG it will burn a plant 18 " tall.
  • sandbreak likes this

#86 spellcheckdependant

spellcheckdependant

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

After 10 days with out water the new neaves are more green than yellow. All the groth is up to speed to I think my girls will be ok.
  • sandbreak likes this

#87 CRM5096

CRM5096

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Interesting

#88 BigPapa

BigPapa

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

if you look it up in the encyclopedia britanica under cheap date you'll find my picture... now there's nothing wrong with Miracle Grow potting soil. My neighbour used it for years and his plants were always so gorgeous and he used nothing but MG nutes along with it. i even switched over to MG after i saw that his plants were doing better than my own. So it does work. i used it in the last few grows i was able to do and with no problems with plants getting too much of a good thing. We shall see as i'll be putting a few clones up for my outdoor plantation plans i have for this acre of land. Mama wants me to put up a greenhouse right off the back patio. SO a hoop house she will get. Cheap and so very efficient they are. In cold climates i would recommend putting one over your girls..... Now as far as MG soil and nutes?!?!? i like it myself, just add a little perilite and (just a little)bat guano and you're good to go. i'm changing to Fox farm organics for my first return grow, reasonably priced and they're very good nutes to use on your girls. Just don't forget to add a bud enhancer or some Happy Frog additives in flowering. The girls will love you for it and you'll enjoy the end result.i pray that i will be able to take on a couple grows this coming year. Reckon i'll shut up now

#89 hinduhippy

hinduhippy

Medical Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

MAYBE if it was organic MG and only soil...but miracle grows sketchy

#90 ThirdEyeGuy

ThirdEyeGuy

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

There's no doubt you CAN grow with MG, I did with my first grow.. But I wouldn't want to support them or any anonymous corporate identity behind them.

http://thescottsmira...r_business.html

"Our International consumer brands include Miracle-Gro®, Evergreen®, Fertiligene®, Celaflor®, KB®, Substral®, Weedol® and Pathclear®. In addition, Scotts is Monsanto's exclusive agent for the international marketing and distribution of consumer Roundup®"

I would much rather support FoxFarm, CANNA, Roots Organic and other companies not tied to the company responsible for the pillage of farmers across the world.

Just saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users