#1 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

Drying

IMO, and IME...light, oxygen and heat are the three things one must be aware of when storing bud...long term OR short term.

Times and %rh given here are approximate only!

Your mileage may vary depending on conditions, situations and weird stuff beyond my control!

:D muhahahaha...warning given...nuff said!

Assuming approximate times, you have spent 2 weeks drying your bud, 8+ weeks flowering it, 2+ weeks vegging it...so three months+ of time and effort has gone into producing these buds...you want them to dry...you want them to cure well...you want them to last in storage...this is fine...and achievable also!
:banana:

Buds must be dried well before storage...th@ is not to say they must be bone dry...NO!
:unsure: ...bone dry buds are not wh@ one is after...one has to dry the buds in a gradual manner.

Buds, when dried, will retain anywhere from 15% to 25% wet-from-the-branch weight...this varies based on things like, %moisture left in buds, genetics, method of growing, time of harvest, speed of drying and other considerations.

Flash/fast drying is not wh@ one wants to do with this hard earned bounty, you risk drying it too much.
The buds dry...they lose moisture, gradually, from the outside in...this is not always readily apparent to the excited grower once the buds are sitting in a pile in front of you :) hehehe like me, I am SURE @ th@ time you have other things on ya mind! Muahahaha :D

The first 2-4 days after harvest the buds should be hung [ideally] or laid somewhere with good ventilation to dry.

• Sitting stems of buds in a shoebox with some newspaper is a good method for slowing moisture loss in really hot and dry environments [desert conditions], hanging the branches of buds with a fan moving air in the room, but NOT directly onto the buds, is good in more tropical or humid conditions [warm/humid or frozen/humid]

The smaller and finer leaves still on the buds will shrivel during this time..and may become brittle...this is a sign, IMO, of them drying a 'lil too fast...if so, it can be slowed by loosely wrapping some newspaper around the bud...a single sheet's thickness is often enough, and tie it around with string or twine...in extreme cases [and I mean extreme!] you might put a second layer of lightly dampened newspaper around the buds.

After 2-4 days, inspect the bud again....it should still be moist and springy, dried a little, but still obviously reasonably fresh buddage...leaving bud on the stems will slow the moisture loss as the buds will have the moisture in the branches and stems to call on as they dry.

Conversely, removing the buds from the stems will speed up their drying...if you have time to monitor it you could even put freshly harvested and separated buds in newspaper in a shoebox to dry...the newspaper will slow the loss of moisture from the loose buds so they do not get bone dry.

After the initial few days from harvest the buds should be inspected...the next few days the squishyness of the buds should begin to lessen and the sponginess of the buds should begin to increase. This second phase can be 2-10 days long...during this time keep checking the buds...if they begin getting dry/crispy, cover with a piece of newspaper to slow moisture loss...rotate them if you want...it will even the drying a little, though some Peeps don't like either moving the buds much or the flat surfaces this can leave on the buds.

I have 2 items I use to dry my harvest.

One is a selection of cafeteria trays...a few of them around are really handy to have :D hehehe

also a hanging rack for buds made from 30cm and 40cm desktop fan blade-cover-cages.

Soon enough you will find your buds feel dry enough to jar up...for the third stage of drying...burping the buds.

This last stage is the mumbo-jumbo or art/skill of drying/curing th@ some take to like a duck to water and some stare @ incomprehensibly like it just grew another head :wink:

For many years this stage was intuitive...even with instruction,if environmental conditions are different than those of the person offering instruction, it would often not turn out the same...

Well..never fear...science and the modern grower have met on this point...and there IS a solution! :D muhahahaha

Ready for it?...a small digital hygrometer! :D hehehe simple, ain't it?...
Wh@ is a digital hygrometer some of you ask?
[yes, I saw you there, in the corner :D hehehe]
It simply tells you the rh of the surrounding air.

rh is Relative Humidity...so a small hygrometer in the jar, when it is sealed, will let you see how humid it is in your jar...you want below 70% rh for beginning to burp buds in the jar.
70% rh or higher and the buds are still too moist and you run the risk of molds...not a good end to 3+ months of time and effort!

It will take half an hr to an hr or so for the rh to level out...sometimes longer as the buds get drier.

The purpose of burping the buds is to really slow and temper the drying process, so the bud dries evenly through, rather than drier on outside and moister inside.

Enclosing the buds in the jar will allow the moisture remaining in the buds to equalize with the jar's air...letting th@ humid air out happens each time you open the jar...so in effect you are drying the buds in small stages.

This has been done with no hygrometer by growers for many years...now, with a hygrometer you can follow the process, see the gradual lowering of the buds moisture content and chart it...decide when it is dry enough for your tastes...
buds can be dried anywhere down to 45%-55% rh and be within the smokable range.

Those who like buds moister might go higher...it's a matter of preference now :D hehehe

Do not fill the jar entirely with buds...half to 2/3 full is my rule of thumb...leaving enough air for the buds to lose moisture to....too full and the buds will not release moisture quick enough and you risk mold...if you jar the buds up and the rh exceeds 70% simple remove them from the jar a few more hrs to dry and try again.

Once the buds are down to your preferred moisture content it is down to Chronos for the cure...time! :D hehehe

Over the next days, weeks and months the scents..the terpines, will change...the thc/cbd etc... in the bud, will eventually decaboxillate...lose the water molecule and become psychoactive.

Bud th@ smelt one way when jarred may take on totally different scents...and effects :D hehehe
sometimes a beautiful smelling bud can cure to smell nasty...or a really horrible smelling bud can cure to smell wonderful...and all those differences and subtlety's in-between! drunk cat

When your buds are dried but before they are cured, they can be stored long term...as stated above, light, heat and oxygen degrade bud quality and viability...this is ok in the short term but long term it can add up and detract from the quality of your bud, lessening it.

A dark cool place is wh@ you want for storage long term, and stored in airtight containers...this can be glass jars, plastic containers, ziploc baggies or vacume sealed jars or bags.
Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, you must weigh and evaluate wh@ suits your needs.
Vacume storage in jars is really good...vacume storage in bags works well also, but the bud does get compressed...sometimes a fair bit...some peeps don't like th@.

Bud will store and last a long time in the right conditions...some of the best dried/cured bud I have ever smoked was found 4+ yrs after the plant was harvested...buds th@ got...er...'lost' :fly: hehehe

Hope this helps you on your buddage journey ;)

Special mention made of Simon, whom I first read of this method from...he has a thread over on ICMag th@ is quite comprehensive and lengthy...even with recommendations for the most useful and accurate hygrometers :) hehehe

muA
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 18 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

Great post! Posted Image
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 9 others like this

#3 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

Dudz...it started as a reply to a query of yours :unsure: hehehe and grew! drunk cat muA
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 9 others like this

#4 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Nicely done Medi !!! Later, Blue
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

Great post medi...good knowledge. Peace
  • I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 7 others like this

#6 GoophyPhucker

GoophyPhucker

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks MuA,
Very well written, good info! :peace1:
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 7 others like this

#7 tigger

tigger

medicine woman

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

"and some stare @ incomprehensibly like it just grew another head"

LMFAO!!!! MuA, you crack me up!

Great post my friend! I was looking for something like this with harvest right around the corner :peace1: ur a saint!
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 7 others like this

#8 StrainHunter

StrainHunter

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

Amazing information, I have always been interested in what ways everyone else dries and cures there meds, thanks for the great knowledge and I'm going to have to try and find that hygrometer for the jar, I never would have thought about that.
  • jangel, I8ntLucky_UR, bongbonghi and 8 others like this

#9 red662

red662

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

after brown bagging and my airtight rubber sealed jars i l put my properly cured buds into the fridge, in a plastic container( tupper ware ) the buds don't even go cold and u can leave it there indefinitely to keep ur buds fresh. i noticed once cured after whatever time the smell of my lovely buds was starting to go so i heard of the fridge thing and haven't looked back iv some in there from 4 months ago so its a good way to store ur buds n keep em fresh
peace

• jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 8 others like this

#10 SirStickybuds

SirStickybuds

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for sharing this medi, I have been using the hygrometer for curing now the past couple months and it has made things much easier. There are very cheap digital hygrometers available on ebay from china($2) and although they may not be exactly accurate they do the job very well!

Edited by SirStickybuds, 04 November 2011 - 08:51 PM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#11 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

great to hear, SSB :D hehehe..as I am harvesting now I hope to be posting pics of the process using the bucket and jar method for use with larger hygrometers.. :P muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 6 others like this

#12 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for this thread Medi!! its bookmarked so I am not one of those that just "stare incomprehensibly" at what I end up harvesting lol. Hugs!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#13 red662

red662

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

the fridge idea has to be one of the best gifts a friend could giv, i was sitting in his house one eve and we were smoking talking crap when it came to put the Kaya in i asked him where it was, he pointed to his freezer n said in there. i was looking for any facial expression changes to see if he was messing, but no there was Tupperware jar full of smoke all kept as fresh as a dream and stinky as they should. i had mine in an airtight jar and the smell was starting to go after a couple of months so when i switched to this it kept them fresh another couple of months and restored the lovely smell. and the longer they where there the stronger or maturer they got so good all round :welcome: this has to be one of my top tips i could giv some one, that and dont piss sativa off during flower or you WILL regret it hahaha
peace :P

#14 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Nice Thread Mediuse ! This one must have slipped past me heheh , I have had the luxury of owning a Digital Hygrometer for some time now and it is a true tool to add to the box ! I have used mine as mentioned when in doubt with extra dense medz . I tend to use mine around the house and grow rooms being so small and portable . It is always around the drying lines and racks when needed , its even the best way to know what the humidity is outside as well as the temp , The temp can be changed from farenheit to celsius . Sure there are old school dial style ones , but they just dont compare to the top of the line Digitals . Ask any fine Tobacco store owner what they are using in there humidors and the chances are its A Hygroset II Digital Hygrometer , these are the first of there kind being capable of adjustment and calibration . The downside is the price , RSP is 24.99 . You might get lucky and find one for less though somewhere on the web . Make sure the shipping is free though heheh .. Note the size of these , they are ideal for even the smallest stash jar ! PPS

Attached Files

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 04 November 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#15 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

$25 investment will potentially save one thousand$ @ the street level if ya end up havin to buy bud, eh? muhahaha muA

#16 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

A very informative tutorial, Medi. Work work work....do you ever rest? hehehe I have the old dial type but look forward to when I'm able to get one of those fancy digi's. Thanks my friend!! Thanks to PPS for the pic of your digital too!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#17 Who

Who

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

thank you for this info muA...very helpful indeed !!!!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#18 red662

red662

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

great thread
peace

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, xxPeacePipexx and 1 other like this

#19 fairview

fairview

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Sweet post. I just started taking a few kolas to open the plant a bit. I am still on the track you prescribe, except there is light there. I will change that. The guys around here never cure the nugs. After showing my buddy the posts dealing with curing. he is sold. Now I can show him the process. Thanks and reps to you! First cut!

Attached Files

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, MCOne and 3 others like this

#20 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

hmmmm...looks like ya sommat to practice curing buds with helpgif muhahahaha Nice buddage there, fairview hehehe...hope she cures well for ya! muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, xxPeacePipexx and 2 others like this

#21 SirStickybuds

SirStickybuds

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...7#ht_2508wt_752

These are the cheap digital hygrometers I mentioned, haven't tested the one I own for accuracy but it seems to be working just fine
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, OffDaBaba and 2 others like this

#22 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thanks SSB...'preciate the link muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, OffDaBaba and 2 others like this

#23 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

monkeysmilie2gif Bump! muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and Blue61 like this

#24 bongbonghi

bongbonghi

Happy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3655 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

I won't be drying,burping or storing any buds for at lest 2 months and that's only if my one plant grow is a girl :please: .But That aside I like popping in to pick up on some of your nuggets of knowledge.
  • Itinkso, MCOne and Blue61 like this

#25 greenmama

greenmama

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

has anyone else been trying Humidipaks in the cure jars? they're used inside humidors, seems a logical step to keep bud from drying out or moldy funky stuff...
  • Itinkso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users