• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

How to build your own Ebb & Flow Hydroponics System
.... Still Under Construction!
bare with me....
How it works:

You have a reservoir with a nutrient solution filling it about halfway or more. Inside you have an air stone with a hose leading out to a pump that pumps air through it, this helps keep the reservoir oxygenated. Also inside is a submersible pump that is linked to a timer to go on 4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. This pump will pump the water out through a hose connected the bottom of the basin, and acts at the entrance for water while the pump is on, and also the exit line when the pump is shut off. While the pump is on, the water level will continue to rise inside the basin until it reaches the overflow hose level. At this point the water will drain out, and the water level wont go above this point. (unless your water intake exceeds how much can drain). When the timer shuts off and the pump is turned off, all the excess water will drain through the same opening the water came in, back into the reservoir.

Materials:

http://tbn0.google.c...691175919md.jpg
1 20 Gallon or larger Rubbermaid Tote

You can find at any home center

Posted Image
4 1" male to half inch garden hose coupling

Can be found and any hardware or home center

3 1" female garden hose coupling
Posted Image
Can be found and any hardware or home center

Posted Image

10 Feet of 1/2" inner diameter black vinyl tubing

50' roll 1/2" poly mainline @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM

Posted Image
1 - Under a bed storage container (or any wide open plastic container)
17 Gal Underbed Box Hawaiian Blue - 5334 at The Home Depot

http://tbn0.google.c...%20silicone.jpg
1 Tube of Aquarium Silicon

http://tbn0.google.c...teflon-tape.jpg
1 Roll of Teflon tape

1 low profile framed work table (to raise up basin)
Can find at any home center, or build your own out of 2x4s

Posted Image
Posted Image
1 Air pump and airstone kit.
12" AquaFizz Air Stone @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM
Elite 801 single outlet a pump @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM

Posted Image
1 ~100 gph water pump with a half inch adapter

http://tbn0.google.c..._ties_large.jpg
1 Pack of mini zip ties to use as clamps.

Posted Image
1 24 hour timer
24hr. x 15 min. Interval Timer @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM

Other Tools:

http://tbn0.google.c...issors-493S.jpg
Scissors

http://tbn0.google.c...-pliers-526.jpg
Channel lock Pliers

http://tbn0.google.c...wer-drill-1.jpg
A power drill

http://tbn0.google.c...51HT77V5ZQL.jpg
a 1" drill bit

latex gloves (to protect your hands... use vinyl if your allergic)

http://tbn0.google.c...owMediaLECA.jpg
You will also need some sort of medium to put the plants i use pond rocks, but you could use the more popular LECA stone aka expanded clay pellets.

Instructions: more pictures coming soon

1. Set your table up with precut holes for each of the tubes for your basin(s) to fit through, your tubes will connect right to the basin from the bottom.

2. Drill 2 1" holes in the bottom of the large plastic basin for your entrance and exit lines.

3. Apply a small layer of teflon tape and then silicon around the edges of a
1" male to half inch garden hose adapter and screw in till its hand tight with the adapter end facing out. Then take you pliers and use the tiniest bit of force to screw it lock tight. Repeat this on however many basins you are using and let dry.

4. On one of the 2 protruding male threading attach a 1" female adapter onto that with some teflon and silicon and screw it hand tight. Then put a piece of 1/2" inner diameter hose on to that so that the hose is 1 inch from the top of the basin. (this will be the point where water is drained back out)

5. Drill 2 holes on the side of
your 20 gallon rubbermaid tote about 2 inches from the bottom.

6. Apply a small layer of teflon tape and then silicon to a 1 " male to half inch garden hose coupling and screw it in hand tight with the half inch end facing outward. Repeat on the other hole

7. Apply a
small layer of teflon tape and then silicon to a 1 " female coupling garden hose adapter and screw it onto the protruding male end coming through on the inside of the rubbermaid tote. Repeat on the other hole and let it all dry.

8. Attach a small piece of 1/2" inner diameter hose from the female coupling to the pump thats inside the reservoir.

9. Carefully place the basin down on the table with the drain plugs going through the hole you made in your table. Attach a piece of 1/2" inner diameter hose from the male coupling protruding out of the outside of the reservoir (the one that then leads to the pump) and connect it to the line in the basin that doesnt have the extra overflow tube. This is your entrance/exit line. Use a ziptie to clamp the connections. Place a small piece of screen over the drain hole.
Repeat if you are using more than a 1 basin system.

10. Attach a piece of 1/2 " inner diameter hose from the other protruding male coupling out of the reservoir, to the overflow coupling on the basin, secure connections with a ziptie. and attach a piece of screen over the overflow line so pebbles dont fall in
and then fill with stones or pellets

11. Place airstone in rubbermade tote and fill with water and nutrients.

12. Set the timer and watch it grow!!!

You may want to run a test run and check for leaks. If you spot a leak, empty out the system let it dry, and reapply silicon to the area and let dry. That should fix a small spot missed in the first application of the silicon.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

Now THIS is a tutorial I have been waiting for! Hobo: In this system, how often do you have to add water to the resevoir? I will be travelling quite a bit (damnit!) over the next year, and it would be nice to be able to NOT have to worry about telling all the things to water, etc. that I am so particular about. Hopefully I can do that with this type of set-up (let it go for 2 days without harm). The DWC plants I have now drink in the area of 1 gallon a day, and going 2 days without being watered puts the water very low in those buckets, as with the lid/netbasket combo the bucket only holds about 3 1/2 gal of nute/water. ISO
  • khoaken likes this

#3 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

for this system, you want to top off the reservoir every couple days, and you want to completely change the water every 2 weeks.

Now THIS is a tutorial I have been waiting for!

Hobo: In this system, how often do you have to add water to the resevoir?

I will be travelling quite a bit (damnit!) over the next year, and it would be nice to be able to NOT have to worry about telling all the things to water, etc. that I am so particular about. Hopefully I can do that with this type of set-up (let it go for 2 days without harm).

The DWC plants I have now drink in the area of 1 gallon a day, and going 2 days without being watered puts the water very low in those buckets, as with the lid/netbasket combo the bucket only holds about 3 1/2 gal of nute/water.

ISO

• khoaken likes this

#4 Guest_Rhinadonna_*

Guest_Rhinadonna_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

I was just shopping around at home depot and was about to buy the same two Tupperware containers to build the same ebb and flow setup... Ive already got a pump and a good timer for it...so all thats holding me back is the extra hydro supplies ill need like ec/ppm meter, ph meter, and some good hydro nutes. No lie hahahaha awesome DIY

#5 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

This has to go in GP's FAQ!!!!

#6 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thanks! check out the top feed tutorial i made too

This has to go in GP's FAQ!!!!

• khoaken likes this

#7 midgradeindasouth

midgradeindasouth

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Great tutorial Hobo.
  • khoaken likes this

#8 Guest_cmak40_*

Guest_cmak40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Now THIS is a tutorial I have been waiting for!

Hobo: In this system, how often do you have to add water to the resevoir?

I will be travelling quite a bit (damnit!) over the next year, and it would be nice to be able to NOT have to worry about telling all the things to water, etc. that I am so particular about. Hopefully I can do that with this type of set-up (let it go for 2 days without harm).

The DWC plants I have now drink in the area of 1 gallon a day, and going 2 days without being watered puts the water very low in those buckets, as with the lid/netbasket combo the bucket only holds about 3 1/2 gal of nute/water.

ISO

you can also have a larger than necesary resevoir to provide suficient nutes and not worry for a couple extra days. however if you do this you will have to keep your lid on your res to keep as little evaporation of water as possible. NUTRIENTS do not evaporate and your ppm can rise if not noticed or watched

#9 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

you can also have a larger than necesary resevoir to provide suficient nutes and not worry for a couple extra days. however if you do this you will have to keep your lid on your res to keep as little evaporation of water as possible. NUTRIENTS do not evaporate and your ppm can rise if not noticed or watched

Thanks cmak40...good info is always appreciated!

Since the resources were available, I started off with a commercially built system. It's a Botanicaire 24" X 47" flood table, with lid, and a 40 gal. Botaicaire res. I set three clones in it about 10 days ago, and they are rooting up just fine, once they figured out life was different..:)

Bought 2 more of the trays/tops plus the fill/drain set, then bought my own 31 gal res's at Lowes, along with a good pump and hoses and timers. Total cost will be more like $150 per table, but I bought the top end pumps, etc.

Been real stable so far...and much easier to keep in Ph than the DWC 5 Gal. buckets I've been using.

ISO
  • khoaken likes this

#10 ice#1

ice#1

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

i'm going to have to try this little sucker i bet it cost half what a store bought eb-n-flo cost any thoughts of how to add a quick drain plug into the res. i was just thinking add anouther hole and put the extra male and female coupling in but in my opion it would take to long to drain the res.

#11 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

i'm going to have to try this little sucker i bet it cost half what a store bought eb-n-flo cost any thoughts of how to add a quick drain plug into the res. i was just thinking add anouther hole and put the extra male and female coupling in but in my opion it would take to long to drain the res.

Not sure about that. I've got an extra Mag Drive pump that I just set into the res and pump it out a hose to the "back 40", then the pump moves to another room where the freshly prepared replacement nutes are waiting in a storage res, and I pump from there to the now empty res under the table. Very little difficult physical work involved and I'll be good for another 2 weeks.

ISO

#12 Guest_cmak40_*

Guest_cmak40_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

Thanks cmak40...good info is always appreciated!

Since the resources were available, I started off with a commercially built system. It's a Botanicaire 24" X 47" flood table, with lid, and a 40 gal. Botaicaire res. I set three clones in it about 10 days ago, and they are rooting up just fine, once they figured out life was different..:)

Bought 2 more of the trays/tops plus the fill/drain set, then bought my own 31 gal res's at Lowes, along with a good pump and hoses and timers. Total cost will be more like $150 per table, but I bought the top end pumps, etc.

Been real stable so far...and much easier to keep in Ph than the DWC 5 Gal. buckets I've been using.

ISO

I dunno what your plan is but if your buying more flood trays and have the room and utilities to do it. You should consider the SoG method.you can pull crop every 2 weeks with only 5 flood tray/res of any size on any scale!

#13 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

yea this is designed for either 4 or 5 larger plants or a sog of maybe 8-10 plants.

#14 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

whats a water pump and air stone worth around your ways?

#15 Messmore3

Messmore3

SkippySan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

thank you

#16 berniebud3

berniebud3

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Hobo . Want to try something.soilless --funds are low --but I have 75% of stuff I need -- GOT TO TRY THIS ONE berniebud

#17 Houris

Houris

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Saweeet Tutorial Hobo, thanks. I just finished redoing the setup I made to Version 2.0 with upgrades and such, Thought I would share what I did. Hope you don't mind, don't mean to step on anyones toes here. :)

I know I can get long winded, so I'll try and let the photos do the talking, If there is anything that ya want explained a bit more, just ask. I don't mind at all.

Sea of Green,...yep, thats what convenced me to go Ebb and Flow/Flood and Drain (These two are the same thing,..aye?) So, when I saw the Cement Mixing trays at Home Depot ($6.00 per for the smaller ones.) I had to give them a try for the growing trays( I see in other posts, others have been using them too.) Used 2x4 to frame the top and 4x4 for legs. Kilz to paint it all with(Kilz is a name brand, used to paint over and seal mold. I use it to keep mold and mildew from growing) Had angle iron laying around, so I used that to frame out the bottom on the 2nd version so I cound put Res. on bottom of table so the whole thing can roll around with the casters. I see others have used net pots to place thier plants in and fill the pots up with the clay pellets, then place the pots in the tray. Wish I had read about that a week or two earlier, My trays are filled up with them pellets. I'll be sure to try that next time around. Photo of my first verion shows plastic lining, bad idea. not worth the trouble.

Attached File  Ver 1 02.jpg   418.58KB   8 downloadsAttached File  Res Interior Drain Filter 02.01.jpg   491.5KB   10 downloads

I had started out with a Deep Water set up and had hell of a time dealing with water lice and other nasties living in my resevoir. So, after droping the drainage down into the resevoir I found that the pool filter fit perfect between the 2 drains and just needed to add the elbows to hold it. Oh, I added the black plastic screen around the filter for reinforcement. Also added another filter to the main pump too. Water Lice?,...not me. not any more :)

I just finished building the screen a few days ago, used 1/2 PVC pipe (less then $2.00 for 10ft) and assorted Ts and Elbows( bag of 10, less then $2.00)...Big Boy Tinker Toys!! And pipe insulation to dress it up with.

Attached File  Table Screen 01.jpg   501.59KB   10 downloadsAttached File  Table Screen 02.jpg   505.4KB   11 downloads

The Resevoir was completely redone and modified. I need to change out the water in the next few days so I'll get some pics then and come back a tell ya how to mod a rubbermaid...hehe,..rubber maid...just sounds kinky.

Attached File  Table Wk01 pruned 01.1.jpg   568.75KB   15 downloadsAttached File  Wk02 pinched 03.jpg   392.68KB   15 downloadsAttached File  Res Exterior Tray Drain 02.jpg   307.25KB   16 downloadsAttached File  Res Exterior Table front 01.jpg   387.83KB   12 downloads
  • Tokecrazy and teddys head like this

#18 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

very neat Houris :oldhippy:

thanks for taking time to share the knowledge flyingsmiley.gif

Health and happiness

#19 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Nice Job Houris.Yeah if can build stuff you can build a flood and drain too. I like the return filter good idea. Most have the filter bags for the pump to sit in and they cost a lot more then $4.00. You got it rocking and a rolling . Keep up the good work. Good job Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users