#26 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

Root aphids show themselves in the soil especially during watering and from my experiences theres always Necrosis on the leaves of the victim as well as lockout signals .. As the roots are eaten the leaves show easly and have Spotted necrosis as an indication , I believe if you had this problem it would be much worse .. But only you can be sure your insect free .. Good luck with this issue of yours ........ I would rather have Nute lock than Root aphids anyday ....

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 18 September 2011 - 11:38 PM.

• Bueller, Hangshai and teddys head like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Attached File  P1020749.JPG   114.52KB   21 downloads Ok, so if you look closely where the flash has lit up the roots, you can see a couple yellow/orange dots. its the &#^%&#^$ root aphids. So, after doing a bit of reading last nite, I decided Im going to get some of the bayer fruit and flower insecticide. I hate using anything stronger than Azatrol, but, I guess its the only thing that gets rid of them. Someone told me, "the tobacco industry uses it, so its safe", although for some reason I dont really trust the tobacco industry's judgement on what is or isnt safe. Regardless, Im gonna use it bcs Im still in veg, and bcs I would like to save my plants. Its been my experience that plants DO bounce back, and Ive even had pretty decent harvests when attacked by bugs, after I had taken care of them. Ill update after I administer the insecticide. Gonna get it today and use it tonite. keep y'all posted... Oh, and thank you, Prof, for your help. I really appreciate it. Speaking of the PH meters, Ill definitely look into the one you mentioned. I bought the cheap-o one on an impulse, just to see what it would do, but Ive never really relied on it. Usually just use it every once in a while out of curiosity. Thanks again, now Im going back to work!

Edited by Hangshai, 19 September 2011 - 11:14 AM.

• Bueller and teddys head like this

#28 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

No problem Hang Grr the worst nute lockout of all Root Aphids .. Sorry to hear its the worst case scenario .. FFOF has been known to harbor them on ocassion ,, Had to send a shipment back once at our store due to them .. Youll find out with that meter mentioned in hand that youll never dance with nutelockout again if your dilegant about monitoring your soils ph .. Unless you encounter them damn pests again that is ... Good luck with the war ahead . Doesnt look like they have exploded in population .. I have seen them only once in large numbers and the plants all were deformed and necrotic .. Them damn aphids were everywhere in the pots .. Kill them buggers and lets see these ladies suck up the nutes .............

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 19 September 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#29 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ok, so, heres another update: I took some pics, because the plants have begun to look pretty bad, after only a few days. There are necrotic spots now, and more and more leaves are yellowing. From what I can tell, I think I picked up the root aphids when i drove about 2 hours away from where Im at to pick up some Strawberry cough clones. Im thinking the aphids hitched a ride with th eclones, since those babies were the first ones to yellow up, and they were showing weird symptoms before every other plant. So, I watered to day with the Bayer fruit and vegetable insecticide. I used 250 ml for about 15 gallons. I think thats around 15ml a gal. Im going to wait a few-three days to see if I notice any results. If I still see the nasty things, Im going to administer another round of the Bayer. Attached File  P1020751.JPG   103.22KB   13 downloadsAttached File  P1020753.JPG   75.77KB   17 downloads Attached File  P1020754.JPG   87.39KB   16 downloadsAttached File  P1020755.JPG   99.51KB   16 downloads Attached File  P1020757.JPG   59.92KB   12 downloads
  • Bueller, GeeGee and teddys head like this

#30 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

Man Hang... Sorry this crap is affecting your grow... those root eating SOB's.... PPS has you wrapped in good help with your situation, crossing fingers they respond and come back for ya. Soil based aphids and gnat larvae are very much a problem to our grows Roots Organic, Pro Mix and FF have shown the same aphid problems. I now use a cedar oil treatment when making my mix up as a preventative measure for possible eggs in the soil. Bless, Pete
  • Hangshai and teddys head like this

#31 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, I figure it'll take at least a 5 days to a week to see if my plants start to bounce back, but when they do, I envision FAST and VIGOROUS growth. You know, Ive had this problem before, and Im wondering if maybe Ive had these guys longer than I previously thought. I seem to have had this problem in my last couple grows. I get to the middle of veg (week 3-5), and my plants start limping along, showing different symptoms that I can't quite nail down, no matter what I do (feed/dont feed, flush/let pots get super dry, etc etc). Ill usually flip it to flower, and they'll recover a bit, but then limp through the rest of the grow, never really achieving past results. Ah well, its a learning experience, right? I think someone mentioned that earlier. Oh, and Teddy, if Radic approves, than Im ok with it. He's helped me with a previous grow. That dude really DOES know his stuff, and he's a nice guy ta boot! Although, Ive yet to talk to someone on Greenpassion who is NOT kind and ready to help. I really really dig this site. Its the only cannabis site I actively participate in. So, yeah, anyway, thanks for all the caring thoughts and help everyone. Ill keep y'all posted in a few days, hopefully with pics of my plants looking nice, green, and hearty.

#32 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

well... I wrecked on my Harley yesterday. Not too hurt, just a little banged up and scraped. My bike is pretty thrashed though. I was taking a turn WAY too fast and I ended up riding up on the sidewalk and getting thrown off my bike into a low stone wall. Thank god for Mandatory Helmet laws. I love my helmet, its so dang TOUGH. ANyway... Went in today and noticed a few flyers, but no crawlers, even when i looked in the roots/dirt. So, I put up some sticky traps, and Im going to feed tmw, so, hopefully they'll be turning back into nice lush green plants in a week, give or take a few days. Im really hoping this works, because I am so frustrated, and I could REALLY use a good harvest. Its been over a year since I had one. Ive had 3 in the past year or so, but they've all been rife with problems... Im really hoping it'll be smooth sailing from here on out, but, I guess we'll see, yeah? Anyway, another update in a few days. Im gonna go lay down...

#33 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hope you got them heavy and hard ..Hows the chosen method working ?. Ghost or Phantom lockouts and defeciences are often traced to these lil buggers .. Process of elemination and GP' will get ya through those critical weeks once your ladies are back on track and insect free ,, Luckly your on par and caught it no matter how late in attack ,, next time you will know why there locked out if they return and will spot them on arrival .. It really pays to always be on the lookout for insects .. I have made it a OCD kinda thing in my grow and everything gets a riggerous inspection twice upon arrival lol .. Hey brother we have a thread that was posted today about ticks in FFOF .. Ill let ya know if we have any reports of it with Root Aphids ... L8TR ...PPS

#34 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

well... I wrecked on my Harley yesterday. Not too hurt, just a little banged up and scraped. My bike is pretty thrashed though. I was taking a turn WAY too fast and I ended up riding up on the sidewalk and getting thrown off my bike into a low stone wall. Thank god for Mandatory Helmet laws. I love my helmet, its so dang TOUGH. ANyway...

Went in today and noticed a few flyers, but no crawlers, even when i looked in the roots/dirt. So, I put up some sticky traps, and Im going to feed tmw, so, hopefully they'll be turning back into nice lush green plants in a week, give or take a few days. Im really hoping this works, because I am so frustrated, and I could REALLY use a good harvest. Its been over a year since I had one. Ive had 3 in the past year or so, but they've all been rife with problems... Im really hoping it'll be smooth sailing from here on out, but, I guess we'll see, yeah?

Anyway, another update in a few days. Im gonna go lay down...

Sorry to hear about the crash .. I would be cryng as my harley is a rare one ... Glad your ok and still with us Hang ..Peace ..PPS

#35 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind thoughts and words. I appreciate it. Yeah Prof, I got a '79 Harley Sportster 1000. Its not that rare or even fixed up that nice, but I managed to have the tranny and engine rebuilt, so it runs like a dang top. Even after my spill, I really just bent the brake lever and mangled the carburetor's teardrop air cleaner. Not much of an air cleaner, tho, more like a chromw housing that goes on top. Attached File  P1020773.jpg   55.51KB   11 downloads Anyway, thats about the worst of my injuries, my left elbow. The rest of me is ok.... Couple scrapes and some soreness, but Ill live, and Ill get back on my bike when I can afford to fix it. Now worries here! So, back to the garden. I noticed waaaay more yellowing today. Besides that, I checked roots ona number of plants, and no crawlers. I think I even saw some dead ones in the dirt. As far as the flyers, there's still a few, so hopefully the sticky traps will get them. Even better, maybe they're fungus gnats and not root aphids!! I guess if the plants start to bounce back I know the little suckers are dead. The temps have been pretty hot out here, so my room has been getting into the mid-80's when the lights first come on at 7 pm. It finally cools down to about 80 around midnite. Im running two a/cs and inline fans, and oscillating fans, and its still hot as heck in there, so, Im just waiting for it to get cooler around here... Should be any day now. As for the yellowing, I hadn't watered since I administered the insecticide, which was 2-3 days ago. I fed today with a 3/4 dose of nutes, so, hopefully with in the next few days I will notice them getting a little better looking. I had a few questions if anyone can answer them. First question, I have a bottle of Maxi-crop I bought a long time ago and never used. Its supposed to be made from seaweed or kelp or whatever, and it has Iron in it, I believe. I never used it because I dont know if I should use it alone, or mix it with my nutes, or not at all... Any suggestions? Also, Im thinking about foliar feeding to get the immobile nutrients to where they need to be. I usually foliar feed with Magic Green, the HOuse and Garden line foliar, but, as with all H&G products (and really, this is my only complaint about the whole line) they dont tell you what the hell is in it, so you can replace it or if you choose to use something else, you dont even know if youre doubling up on i.. kinda frustrating. So, anyway, I was thinking of maybe just mixing up my normal veg mix, watering it down to about 3-400 ppms, and foliar spraying with that. Thoughts?

Edited by Hangshai, 24 September 2011 - 12:42 AM.

• teddys head likes this

#36 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

That elbow will be hell when it starts to heal hehhee . Yeah them old Harleys will take a beating . Mines getting old fast , its the last of the FXLR's .. 94 custom ... It would be a good idea to get a Chart for insects and study up .. Get a scope or heavy duty magnifing glass .. Make notes and cross compare .. Theres a few that fly and even thrips can buzz around .. Its best to be dead on with insect identification and swiftly attack .. Foliar sprays are very helpful in situations as yours but will not always provide all thats needed .. Especially this far along when leaves are getting necrotic by the day .. Some ferts and many when mixed strong are phytotoxic when foilar fed .. Normally one tests on a small area before applying to the entire garden . Teddy has you coverd as well on the maxi but becareful if its old . I chuck any product over a year old for safety reasons .. PPS

#37 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

Ok guys and gals, quick update, then Ill post pics tmw. Sorry Ive been gone for so long. I was really just waiting for something to happen in my garden. It seems like I just hit a wall, and my plants stopped growing. In the past 3-4 days, I HAVE noticed new growth. It is a little strange, as it is growing straight up, with the nodes stacking close together, and not a lot of lateral growth. Just plants getting taller. No stretching thoug, as the nodes are very close together. A random sampling in the room gives me these readings. Soil PH direct in soil, low 6s (6.0-6.2). This is not a very accurate reading as it is an analog meter. Runoff PH is 6.6. The water going in was 6.2. The runoff had a bit of soil in it, so I dont know if it counts as a 'slurry' that would give me an accurate soil PH. PPM of the runoff is @ 250. Water going in is tap water, with a PPM of 50-70 out of the tap. Im lucky as I have relatively clean water coming from my tap. One more thing, someone suggested Vitamin B, and I dont have any supplements with it, so I bought this relatively inexpensive B supplement from Home Depot. It was 5 bucks for a gallon, and it has iron, zinc, and manganese. Pretty low numbers, too. Something like .8, .8, .7 or something around there. I also transplanted the one gallon pots into 3s, and I want to do the threes into 5s, but I dont have the extra soil yet. Ill post pictures tmw, like I said, Ive topped a few of the plants too, to see if I can get some new growth that looks better than the old stuff. Some of the plants actually look decent, so, I figure in another week or so, Ill know the extent to which they have rebounded. Hopefully they'll start growing again and then I can switch em into 12/12. That usually helps them out a little, although I dont know exactly why. I also have a feeling after all the stress, my plants may have tried to bud, but then shifted back into veg because of the amount of light. I dont know if this is what happened, but it would explain the total lack of growth for about two weeks. They've just been stuck. I think its either that, or they are root-bound and they just cant go anywhere, except for a bigger pot with more dirt. like I keep saying, pics tmw. Im almost wishing I would have started over now, but, I kind wanted to see if I could figure it out. I know now for a fact, though, once plants reach a certain level of stress, they aint coming back. Its best not to let them get there, but if they do, I think one would be better off to just start over with all new plants. Keep sending over the good vibes, maybe they will help. Visualize a healthy garden... :lol: thanks everyone... See ya again tmw... Hang.
  • teddys head likes this

#38 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

Its a shame that they even sell these stupid cheap soil meters , might want to aquire a Kelway Soil Ph meter or Wizzard Control Ph meter , they average around $60-80 Amc currency .. Youll find that most run offs are never really all to acurate , you need to really leach in order to obtain a fair reading and it also really depend on a few things and I wont get into this now . More variables depending on medium Those ladies have been locked up like a Drug store in the hood ... I can only imagine your pains there and theres being so hungry .. Hey whats up with the insects >????? No mention in your last post ..

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 09 October 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#39 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ok, so, I scrapped my garden last night. 30 plants, down the drain, plus about 2 months stuck in veg, give or take a week. Thanks everyone for all your help. I finally decided that the plants were too messed up and it was going to affect the final outcome too much. Not worth the time/nutes/electricity to keep them going. BTW, PPS, no bugs. That one dose of insecticide knocked them out. I checked as many of the plants as I could (by pulling them out of the pots and doing a root check), and I didnt spot even ONE bug after I dosed them. So, Im attributing this to a couple factors. Its either lock-out, for whatever reason (stress or overfeeding at some point). Another problem that I am concerned about that I am not quite sure on how badly it affected me, but, I use ph up and down on almost every watering. Mostly ph down, but on some waterings I would need ph up, for instance when i used the B vitamin. I use the stuff on every watering, and, even though the soil and runoff tested ok, I think I may have had a build up of the ph down that threw the plant off. So, everything is shut down for a couple weeks, until I can get some new cuttings and soil. Im also going to go ahead and switch nutrients to Advanced Nutes PH perfect line. For veg, all y ou need is the Sensi Grow, B52, and Voodoo Juice. it'll be nice only using 3 products, and even nicer not having to PH. I have a friend thats already done a harvest with the stuff, and he experienced a 50%(!!) increase in yield, no BS. He's been doing this for a while now, and he experienced alot of the same things I had. One great harvest, then an ok one, then a complete disaster, yet he never really did anything different. Now he's getting GREAT looking plants, with a solid 8 week flower time (use to be 10-11 weeks). I trust this friend and I am convinced he knows what he is talking about, so, Im going to take his advice. I will also be switching my medium from soil (FFOF), to Coco and perlite. Down, but not out.... Stay tuned.. edit - Oh, one more thing.. After all this, 2 of the plants I had cut back were beginning to show signs of growth, and were reverting to a nice green color. I had to scrap them too, though, as its not worth it to keep my room going for just two plants.

Edited by Hangshai, 15 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.

• teddys head likes this

#40 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

Sorry to hear of the loss Hang , I know how frustrating it can be and I dont blame you for pulling them and moving forward ,, When they are locked out that long the chances of Hermaphrodism greatly increase . As well the roots have no new growth or very little when locked out and its hard to get a good crop out of them afterwards unless vegged for a considerable time . Damaged roots repair themselves fast when back on track but none the less sometimes its best to just say to hell with them and start over as such .... Coco is a good medium , I have a few ladies planted in diff types as I am looking for the perfect Coco blend as I have not found one yet and tend to make my own mix of Pith to coir .. No matter eventually you may seek the muck again and I highly recommend that you purchase some Dolomite Lime for the shelf .. This simple additive can save a grow from soil lockout as its the best buffer one can add to there soils .. If one adds enough it will keep the soil Ph at about 7 at all times and then it really doesnt matter so much as to what the ph is going in ,, I dont blame you for wanting a Ph adjusting fert as mentioned .. Youll find no matter the route or product that dialing in to it , is the only way to go .. Every grow and product along with strain has a varaiable and it all has to be balanced out by the grower .. I should know lol I have 7 fert brands running in different areas and as well I am currenty running DWC , Coco , Promix , Subs super soil and now I am starting another TLO grow following the Rev of Skunk and one of his recipes .. What fun this is man , I have my self going in all directions here and now have over 20 strains to add to the misery hahah ,, Its actually nice to have more strains as the others have became old trust worthy friends who are predictable , now I have a dozen new strians to figure out and master . . Wanted to let ya know as well , that I am here for ya bro and if you need you can write me and I promise to give ya the best advice I can and if I dont have the answer I ll find if for ya from my Guru's lol .... I have been at it for 20+ years and they have me beat by at least another ten years lol .. Lets see what a little help right from the get go can do for ya man ,, I hate seeing the ups and downs and loss such as yours , You can call me the Earl of the Grow world , I believe in Karma and paying it forward .Although I have no Randy at my side . So now its in your hands if you choose .. Peace bro .. Hope things are looking better that way for ya man .. PPS

Edited by ProffesorPotSnob, 16 October 2011 - 08:39 AM.

#41 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hey everyone, Id like to thank you all for your help and kind words in helping me along these past couple months. I was down for about 2-3 weeks, but, I have another grow going. Ill be starting another journal here, as I have another grow going. Its already been a few weeks in, and Im not sure Ill be able to be AS thorough as I was this time, but, at least ill be documenting my progress. Heres the link for the new journal:

https://www.greenpas...second-journal/

Oh, and Prof, thanks for the offer, Ill probably be asking you a few questions here or there as I go along this time. So, without any further ado, Im off to start my new journal!

hang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users