Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Breeding Title: GAQ-13 aka Area 51
P1 Mother; G-13 clone only
P1 Father; Vortex male (from black TGA packaging 10pack)

Summary; Breeding two of my best daytime use strains to see if the progeny is more potent through the cross and successive backcrosses.

Goals; Increase medical effects of either strain by combining the two distinct terpene and thc profiles. A potentially more devastating interpretation of Killer Queen.

13 F1 seeds have been started into rapid rooters, As of this post 5 are above ground.

Edited by MCOne, 01 April 2011 - 05:40 PM.

• CAMSTER626, Bueller, KaK and 6 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

Feb 21 - 4 days since seeds were sown. 9 of the 13 GAQ13 sprouts officially in soil cups this morning, 1/2 had tap roots out the bottom#1 was transplanted yesterday and is ahead of the pack - there is action on the other sprouts in the RR's so they have not been abandoned yet. Attached File  gaq.jpg   117.2KB   1 downloads

Edited by MCOne, 24 March 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#3 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Feb 22 - 11 of 13 are above ground 9 of 11 are in pots and have (with some help) shook free of their seed hulls. F1 seeds were tiger striped and medium-large. Like kush, many of the seedlings were "helmet heads" and had their first true leaves growing out while the seed hull still clamped down on the cotyledon. I assisted 8/9 with hull removal. I believe this is genetic but will be looking into it. Perhaps a trait from G13 as Vortex seeds are a tad smaller than the GAQ F1s I made and am working with.

Edited by MCOne1, 22 February 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#4 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

Had great germ rates with these seeds, 12 for 13 sprouted within 6 days and the other was tossed to save space. I culled the tallest stretchiest seedling so we are working with 11 plants.
  • CAMSTER626, Bueller, GeeGee and 7 others like this

#5 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

Long story short I could not cull any additional plants because they are covered in glands even on their cotyledon leaves. Looks like all 11 are keepers at seedling stage

Edited by MCOne, 07 March 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#6 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

March 5 The GAQ13 are really vigorous and just growin' like mad! Attached File  gaqSprouts.jpg   132.41KB   3 downloads

#7 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

F1 leaf shape is very G-13 as I had expected G-13 appears to be dominant. The root-bound plants were moved into 2 gallons today, they are roughly 1 foot tall. This would have been done long ago but floor space is limited. A friend came up with another name for the cross already, Area-51 which is pretty catchy.. If it smokes like it sounds it might be the name... ___ I have thought about it and and am not planning any back-crosses to the vortex mother with the progeny. Instead i intend to IBL the GAQ13 Depending on how the GAQ-13 IBL turns out it might not ever be released in pure form and outcrossed again to another daytime strain once stabilized. __

Edited by MCOne, 24 March 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#8 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Trainwreck x GAQ-13 is an interesting thought, but the taste of g13 and trainwreck combined I do not find appealing.
  • CAMSTER626, Bueller, GeeGee and 6 others like this

#9 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

the Area 51's have finally been moved into their own space and will be transplanted into three gallons tonight. Each of the selected plants has been topped and supercropped to stress them and also branch them.

Edited by MCOne, 29 March 2011 - 05:09 PM.

• CAMSTER626, GeeGee, KaK and 4 others like this

#10 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

A photo from the up-potting

Attached Files

#11 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

The leaves are g13 but the smell and stretch is vortex.. Very excited to see what kind of genetic superwonder this will be
  • CAMSTER626, Bueller, KaK and 3 others like this

#12 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

It's fairly complex and I don't have the research on hand as I am no doctor, but I am a patient and grower who has had relief from cannabis. Cannabis has been shown to help people with ADD and ADHD because of amino acids, our cannabis receptors, and some other factors that escape me at the moment. I started pursuing cannabis for pain management but soon found it helped with my ADHD as well. Throughout my research I've found two that help the most, Vortex and G13. For people who know me its no surprise I would want to work on a daytime strain as I keep a ever-changing selections of sativas on hand in my room. Vortex is an amazing thinkers medicine that is paired well with tea or java and is well suited for mental activities. It is my #2 daytime strain I have ever grown OR smoked from a medical dispensary. It takes you up but your thoughts are not cloudy and you are motivated to achieve things. Its the perfect sativa hybrid in that respect. Now G-13 is my #1 all time smoke that has helped me with ADHD. I will expand on the legend of G-13 later in this breeding project but for now let me say that the clone only G-13 cannot be matched. It has an amazing powerful yet clear medicinal effect that allows you to feel very medicated yet focus and work which means its great for daytime pain management, but it also carries very little paranoia so it should help take the edge of the vortex high. I knew this would be a match made in heaven even before I started and the plants have lived up to that so far exuding smells of pineapple, cherry, mango, lemon, and funk while retaining the G13 plant structure with the aid of vortex vigor and fast branching. So that is what this cross is about, breeding the perfect strain for daytime use and for people who cannabis causes attention or focus problems so that they can medicate while working. There you have it, a look behind the curtain. Peace Blessed be and be blessed M C ONE :pot leaf:

Edited by MCOne, 01 April 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#13 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

The legend of G-13: Everyone has heard it in some form or another whether in the popular movies or just in everyday life if you are a smoker you know the legend of G-13. G-13 is supposedly government engineered cannabis to result in the most potency of any cannabis ever created. A hybrid which would improve upon every cross before it, supposedly taking some 13 filial generations and a secret government facility in Mississippi with a grow that was guarded with electrified barbwire not only on the sides, but above the plants as well. Supposedly the FBI, CIA and other agencies visited remote regions all across the globe gathering the most potent strains and used a team of botanists and scientists to breed them into a super plant. It said to have been 'liberated from the facility' in 1970, only to gain redound fame in the cannabis world because of its seemingly no ceiling with a never ending high while other strains highs wear off and have a 'peak.' The G-13 clone I used was given to me by a close friend who works in Northern California providing medicine for the sick and disabled and had the cut for over ten years before gifting it to me. The sample he gave me with the clone was easily some of the best herb I had ever smoked. I was surprised to learn that it was grown outdoors and force flowered during mid-summer with dark curtains over the greenhouse. I ran the clone inside that he gave me and topped it low to form a multi-headed plant as usual. It came out with short structure and some of the densest nuggets I had ever seen that glistened in the light like costume jewelery. She was grown in soil for two rounds before I pollinated G13 with Vortex, creating Area 51, to improve upon the taste of the pure G-13. Subcool did a great job with selection on vortex to increase the potency and I felt a vortex male would be the best choice possible in her outcrossing. Lets see where this legend takes us

Edited by MCOne, 01 April 2011 - 05:39 PM.

• CAMSTER626, Bueller, GeeGee and 5 others like this

#14 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

G-13 was featured in the film American Beauty. In the film, a young dealer named Ricky Fitts hands a bag of what looks to be about an eighth ounce to Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) and says, "This stuff is top of the line. It's called G-13. It's genetically engineered by the U.S. Government. It's extremely potent, but a completely mellow high. No paranoia." He then charges him $2, 000.

Edited by MCOne, 04 April 2011 - 11:27 AM.

• CAMSTER626, Bueller, GeeGee and 5 others like this

#15 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

April 4th Two males were separated from the pack and one selected early was left. One of the removed males seems very G-13 dominant and will be kept for other projects. This narrows it to four selected potential females and one selected male in the room and two males under separate observation. The non-desirable plants have been culled.

Edited by MCOne, 04 April 2011 - 06:55 PM.

• CAMSTER626, Bueller, KaK and 3 others like this

#16 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

April 5th Still working on selection every day... But nonetheless we are still a ways from HID and flowering.. Toking some pure G-13 my compadre gifted InI today, I was going to write a smoke report but to be honest. I cant even describe the smell.. It smells sour, but like some sort of nut.. Walnuts maybe.. It is indescribable.. The smell immediatley takes me back to the mother.. Very distinct and stong. Hashy and sharp.. The high lasts incredibly long.. I was smoking concentrates all day and 2 bowls of G-13 at his place left me vibrating for 3 hours or more.. I will now try to describe the experience as I smoke a bowl from my clean, scientific glass, ice filled beaker bottom water pipe. Crack the jar, the smell is sharp and sour. Like rotten grapefruit that is mixed with freshly ground up dirt. Attached File  g13nuggs.jpg   89.72KB   13 downloads The buds are dense like rocks. This is outdoor, again, force flowered in a greenhouse, just like the first sample. I crack the bud to remove a 'snap' for the bong. The smell is sharp sour and rotten. It makes my face cringe when I inhale the smell deep into my nostrils. Yes, this is the mom... I recognize her anywhere.. Loading.. Fire In The Hole! I fill the ice chamber, exhale is berries, clear the ice chamber and hold the hit.. Strong like indica.. Instant head stone felt in the forehead and eye relaxation. The interesting thing is it leaves me clear even though my eyes are barley open I am typing like no ones business without any delay... I love this strain... Ok rip two, time to cash this snap and tear off another. I find myself smacking my lips as I hold the cashed hit.. It is just as heavy as the first I can feel my heartbeat in my head now. Tearing off the second snap the first one has me convinced I might be able to describe the smell but still cant. It is familiar now that it has met my lungs. I no longer cringe but inhale deep analyzing breaths.. No words come to mind. It smells like G-13, my G-13.. The mother of Area 51. Meditating on the idea as I pack snap two I would perhaps classify the smell as half food half forest. Which combinations you would make afterwards to get the smell is beyond me... This snap is perfectly measured and I am able to fire and clear the bowl in a single maximum breath. Any paranoia or anxiety I had is gone. I am ready for a night of videos games but must go work in the garden. Luckily she hits like a heavy indica but carries you like a sativa. Peace B)

Edited by MCOne, 06 April 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#17 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

Mid-flower, Plant structure is incredible. Waiting for flowering to finish to determine the value of the project.
  • CAMSTER626, KaK and GreenMarine9 like this

#18 Transcendence

Transcendence

South of Heaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationUnder the Sun, High watchng the Waves

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

A photo from the up-potting

Super glossy and green! Perfect.... absolutely Beautiful! PeAcE!

#19 Murp

Murp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

Very Nice! I have found Vortex to be one of the TGA strains that is extremely medicinal for me. I have MS and diabetes and vortex is a regular 4 me. I have two votex mothers. Both are used in breeding regimen. Cant wait to see these gurls unfold! Best of Luck to ya m8

#20 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

awesome man. would love to see them lol. as it sounds gr8 . kak
  • GreenMarine9 and HenryFord like this

#21 OniusOniusOnius

OniusOniusOnius

The-l-Onius-Monk

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Killer idea as usual MC One! Area 51 has the potential to be a very potent strain from the sound of things. Maybe G-13 will bring some of it's crazy bud traits to vortex... I'm thinking super dense baseball thickness nugs of vortex.

Long story short I could not cull any additional plants because they are covered in glands even on their cotyledon leaves.
Looks like all 11 are keepers at seedling stage

It is very VERY rare to have true stalked trichrome glands on sprouts/seedlings... especially of the cotyledon or first set. I've heard people going on about their "gooey" seedlings numerous times & have even been asked to confirm it in person twice... never confirmed. They are ALWAYS cystolith hairs. Many plants have them. Cannabis creates cystolith hairs (particularly thick on sprouts/seeldings) for a number of reasons including:

Herbivore deterrent --- makes chewing unpleasant/rough; can cause irritation of eyes/glands/skin through abrasion and/or allergic reaction (many people report puffy eyes and itchy skin after handling cannabis, which is likely due these cystolith hairs).

Insect deterrent --- inhibits insect mobility (rough terrain); excretes anti-insect compounds to repel/sicken certain insects.

Disease protection --- Hydrophobic nature of hairs helps shed water off plant (like duck feathers) to prevent wet pockets, creates barrier between plant tissues (stem, leaf) & pathogen (spore, bacteria).

Other stuff... I'm sure.

You can see why a sprout/seedling would want a lot of those. Interesting points about cystolith hairs and their frequency in various cannabis gene pools:

--Many breeders have seemingly bred ALL cystolith hairs off their plants in bloom to make room for real THC containing trichromes. In my experience these strains have usually have very high THC, but limit resistance to insects, mildew, and rot.

--Outdoor strains tend to have a lot more cystolith hairs than indoor strains, and indeed, even when comparing the same cutting in and outdoors the outside one will have higher counts.

--Some strains which look "frosty" but don't get you very stoned (commercial strains) have very high counts of cystolith hairs. The extra hairs grow everywhere stalked THC containing trichromes do, so they make the buds look more potent than they are.

Cystolith hairs can be distinguished from trichromes under a handheld microscope (30x or better should do). Trichromes are usually thicker & have a mushroom type ball head on the end. Cystolith hairs on the contrary come to a point and are thickest at the base. Tricromes with their heads knocked off may look like cystolith hairs but are still usually thicker, and lack the uniform tapering of the pointy very "hair"-like cystoliths.

Hope that's been informative.

Edited by OniusOniusOnius, 07 June 2011 - 09:25 AM.

• KaK, GreenMarine9, MCOne and 1 other like this

#22 Transcendence

Transcendence

South of Heaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationUnder the Sun, High watchng the Waves

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Hi LA Plants! Man I can stop thinking about this cross! Hope all is well, looking forward to your next update. As always I'm available for any test work hehe. PeAcE Bro!
  • GreenMarine9, MCOne and HenryFord like this

#23 GreenMarine9

GreenMarine9

TREE

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Green Tree

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Breeding Title: GAQ-13 aka Area 51
P1 Mother; G-13 clone only
P1 Father; Vortex male (from black TGA packaging 10pack)

Summary; Breeding two of my best daytime use strains to see if the progeny is more potent through the cross and successive backcrosses.

Goals; Increase medical effects of either strain by combining the two distinct terpene and thc profiles. A potentially more devastating interpretation of Killer Queen.

13 F1 seeds have been started into rapid rooters, As of this post 5 are above ground.

Hey Luvall

I appreciate your goals youve set for yourself, much karma to you. I will definately be watching this now!!

Best of luck on the runs

GreenMarine9
  • Bueller, KaK, MCOne and 1 other like this

#24 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

I messed up and didnt photo the flowers... Sorry everyone.

The smoke was nice medium density like vortex, tasted like pineapple with a earth undertone from the G13, and packed a punch.

The smoke was very good, but not the best...

Not better than the parents, just tastier...

I will be moving on to other projects.
Cherry Ak47, Various Kushes, and other Vortex and Spacebomb crosses

Peace

:)
I love your passion almost as much as the information provided
Cheers

Killer idea as usual MC One! Area 51 has the potential to be a very potent strain from the sound of things. Maybe G-13 will bring some of it's crazy bud traits to vortex... I'm thinking super dense baseball thickness nugs of vortex.

It is very VERY rare to have true stalked trichrome glands on sprouts/seedlings... especially of the cotyledon or first set. I've heard people going on about their "gooey" seedlings numerous times & have even been asked to confirm it in person twice... never confirmed. They are ALWAYS cystolith hairs. Many plants have them. Cannabis creates cystolith hairs (particularly thick on sprouts/seeldings) for a number of reasons including:

Herbivore deterrent --- makes chewing unpleasant/rough; can cause irritation of eyes/glands/skin through abrasion and/or allergic reaction (many people report puffy eyes and itchy skin after handling cannabis, which is likely due these cystolith hairs).

Insect deterrent --- inhibits insect mobility (rough terrain); excretes anti-insect compounds to repel/sicken certain insects.

Disease protection --- Hydrophobic nature of hairs helps shed water off plant (like duck feathers) to prevent wet pockets, creates barrier between plant tissues (stem, leaf) & pathogen (spore, bacteria).

Other stuff... I'm sure.

You can see why a sprout/seedling would want a lot of those. Interesting points about cystolith hairs and their frequency in various cannabis gene pools:

--Many breeders have seemingly bred ALL cystolith hairs off their plants in bloom to make room for real THC containing trichromes. In my experience these strains have usually have very high THC, but limit resistance to insects, mildew, and rot.

--Outdoor strains tend to have a lot more cystolith hairs than indoor strains, and indeed, even when comparing the same cutting in and outdoors the outside one will have higher counts.

--Some strains which look "frosty" but don't get you very stoned (commercial strains) have very high counts of cystolith hairs. The extra hairs grow everywhere stalked THC containing trichromes do, so they make the buds look more potent than they are.

Cystolith hairs can be distinguished from trichromes under a handheld microscope (30x or better should do). Trichromes are usually thicker & have a mushroom type ball head on the end. Cystolith hairs on the contrary come to a point and are thickest at the base. Tricromes with their heads knocked off may look like cystolith hairs but are still usually thicker, and lack the uniform tapering of the pointy very "hair"-like cystoliths.

Hope that's been informative.

• Bueller, KaK, OniusOniusOnius and 3 others like this

#25 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

Here is a quick picture of one of the remaining nuggs of the test grow. I have crossed a secret male into the F1 mix to see what we can salvage from the experiment in the future if I care to revisit it.

Attached Files

• Bueller, Turpene, KaK and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users