- - - - -

Odor Control?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hello all. I am a new member and want to ask a question about my first grow. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching and contemplating the many factors for my first grow, one piece I cannot: I cannot smell so as to control unknown odors. To help I will describe my conditions. As you all know, it is winter now so this first will be a very small grow inside to test concerns before moving outside. The space is 2'x1.5'x2.5' in a dresser that is in a small room. I have root stimulator and fox farm for nutes, 100W cfl, Ozium spray, Nag Champa insense, both ionizer and humidifiers found outside of the room. What alternative treatments (spraying, ozone generator, etc) or habits is recommended so that I create a successful STEALTH grow?

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

carbon filters. Either use one on the exhaust from the garden so no one smells the goodness. Or you might even use one as an "air scrubber": you put it in the room you grow in, or smoke in, and run it with a high speed can fan, and it scrubs the smell out of the air. Some people just run small carbon filter/hepa filter systems around the house to control smoke odor, but you will want a large commercial style, or Grow style, one to keep the smell of the garden down.
  • SandiaMts and Methusela like this

#3 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

carbon filters.
Either use one on the exhaust from the garden so no one smells the goodness. Or you might even use one as an "air scrubber": you put it in the room you grow in, or smoke in, and run it with a high speed can fan, and it scrubs the smell out of the air.
Some people just run small carbon filter/hepa filter systems around the house to control smoke odor, but you will want a large commercial style, or Grow style, one to keep the smell of the garden down.

I have been debating my use of one of these, only because of the set-up of this room. This is in a bedroom located in a disagreeable house, but it has many benefits which brings me to this embrassing question. I am concerned about the smell, but also noise. I cannot have noisy appliances, do you think that a consumer hepa/carbon filter would work under the circumstances so I could always leave it running without question? If so could you post a link or name a low-cost for me, I really don't have any useful info on this topic.

I have kept track of my use and agree with the roller coaster of effects for medicinal purposes. Unfortunately my state is one of the remaining prohibitory states not decriminalizing this plant.

#4 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

I can't stand silence. I leave fans running in the apartment all the time. the 500 cfm duct fan I bought on ebay is loud, but once it is muffled with ducting and the filter, it is not so bad I can't hear the TV, I don't hear it outside, and the neighbors are probably more curious why I run a vacuum every few nights for 30 second intervals (emptying ebb and flow tables I use to catch run off in soil grow in apartment KITCHEN... but it sounds strange, I am sure). a 160 can fan from Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Etc, runs 35 bucks or so, is as quiet as a house fan, and will work well for a 4" filter. A bigger filter, use a bigger fan, and account for the noise by: mounting in the attic mounting the fan in a cabinet build a small insulated box (there are instructions on here about doing this: build a box that fits, wrap the fan in plastic wrap, and seal into box with spray foam insulation) as soon as they get connected, the noise of the air rushing is lessened. The sound of the motor really isn't that loud, even on my 500cfm. My 6" carbon filter came on ebay, too, 70 bucks delivered.

#5 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

Thank you for answering with these details, I can see myself adapting this to my needs. Wouldn't this be easier if living alone? hahaha many wishes of peace and love

#6 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

Ecstatic,

Smell is a HUGE concern for all of us and I am glad that you are addressing it NOW before the odors become noticeable.

I am a proponent of carbon filtration. When the "grow area" air is pulled through the Can33 filter I have there is NO odor outside of the closet. Keep in mind though, when the door is open the smell will leave the area. I have solved this problem by having a DIY odor neutralizer that does a fairly good job of masking the smells but the outer area smells like the neutralizer (floral/linen) used.

Here is a link to the DIY Odor Neutralizer......DIY Odor Neutralizing Machine

The key in my opinion is "Scrubbing" the air rather than "masking" it. By using a carbon type filter it removes the smell whereas the odor neutralizer setup simply overpowers the smell of cannabis. Kind of like spraying Febreeze into the air.

I have also tested the Odor Neutralizing CFL light.....Odor Neutralizing CFL bulb, but to be honest...it did not do much of anything.

As far as sounds go, the Vortex type fan that I use on the Can33 Carbon filter is pretty loud. I can hear it in the adjacent room but can explain it away by saying it is simply the house fan running. The DIY odor neutralizer I mentioned earlier is not too loud but does sound like a fan running on high...way less noise than the carbon scrubber setup.

Be VERY careful with the smell....I have found that while the plants are in Veg phase they did not produce too much odor until about 4 weeks. Once the plants went into the 12/12 flowering phase...OMG...they stunk to "high heaven".

You mentioned that your grow will be in a dresser....I have not grown in that type of space and perhaps some others will offer some advice on how to control the smell in that sized space.

Sandia rotflmaogif

PS....just a note....in my setup I ended up having to use a portable AC unit. Because the air was circulated through the AC unit and I had to exhaust the heat, I had a VERY tough time eradicating that smell and had I planned for the heat exhaust when I first built the grow area, I would have placed a carbon scrubber on the heat exhaust. Again, PLEASE be very careful with the odors!!!!
  • Methusela likes this

#7 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

Ona gel. Buy the 8oz block, drill some holes in the top to limit how fast it goes. For that small space only need 2-3 holes and it will last you MONTHS. Used it in my old closet grows, and even still have a remnant of an old block (need to re-order myself). Good stuff, cheap.
  • SandiaMts, sandbreak and Methusela like this

#8 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

I grow in the same situation as you, only I can't drill or modify the closet at all. So I can't scrub.

My partial answer is ONA pro-gel (The pro version is much better by experience, having used almost everything). It will mask it real nice, but is not the final answer.

If I could, I would put a scrubber. But I can't.
  • SandiaMts, sandbreak and Methusela like this

#9 holyflower

holyflower

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

a lot of good answers already, but ill share my 2 cents n e way. I started out in a closest. depending on the strain, it can go from pretty noticeable, to OBVIOUS you are growing pot, if you don't have some sort of smell protection. I think the best way is a carbon scrubber. it really does get rid of every possible hint of smell. but from my experience,with a carbon scrubber/filter you get rid of the smell and heat, but you will add noise instead. Noise is a lot easier to explain then cannabis smells, but if you cant have noise, you cant have noise. Haven't tried the gel before, but for your situation, I would try that first. Best of luck, MG~

#10 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

I've never seen ona gel before, and what an amazing looking product! Thank you for this, I'll be using this for sure. So since this is not a cure-all, what if I use this in and out of the space along with Ozium spray a little bit? Would that be enough neutralizer?

#11 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

not sure what is ozium, but never ever use a febreeze-like product. The chemical will stick to the bus and you can taste the nastiness when smoking it (experience talking again LMAO)

#12 JustKidding

JustKidding

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

I have been cab/closet growing for a year or so now. If you want dank, it is going to smell dank. Without a carbon scrubber and some sort of ventilation, even with other things to cover the smell, it can be noticed. A can fan and filter can cost less than $200, with a speed control. They make noise, like any fan. So will preparing your water, bringing in supplies from the car, etc, etc. If you are somewhere that it is not legal, you should probably consider your options thoroughly. Not preaching at ya, just saying that it will smell. LOTS.
  • sandbreak and Methusela like this

#13 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Ozium is a product that is reported to be the third strongest odor neutralizer, in the usa at least. This would be something that I will avoid using immediately around the plant(s), only the room iteself so as to avoid tampering of this process. I didn't have this product before my sense was lost so I have no knowledge for future endeavors. Unfortunately, I have no way of adding a filter to this dresser itself. I can use a household appliance in the room, that would help my project. I only want to create a setup inside for temp use, in spring I will venture outdoors, this is to practice my green thumb. Once I get this started I will create a journal on this site, I am curious to see how this would turn out.

#14 NomadicFarmer

NomadicFarmer

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCrazy Town

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

I just recently purchased Ona pro gel and I am very impressed. While it may not be the final answer it will buy you some time to figure out a better solution if you need to. I will always have a jar on hand in case of an emergency.
  • GeeGee, sandbreak and Methusela like this

#15 SirStickybuds

SirStickybuds

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

or like ona gel, you can make a ona bucket, buy a bucket and some soil moist crystals, a small fan and ona liquid. drill holes in bucket, add soil crystals dilute a little ona with water and add to bucket put fan in bucket lid and circulate. add water alot to refresh and add ona sparingly over time. Can also use febreeze
  • jangel, Lucky_Cat, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#16 Cunningstuntz

Cunningstuntz

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationA booming Metropolis

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

I've been trying to address this same issue in my basement growroom that has a smell finding its way into different rooms throughout my house. ( strange how it becomes noticeable in rooms where you wouldnt think it would) but anyways, as it was explained to me, your basic cheaper 6 or 8 inch can fan connected to a carbon filter will not do the job and the filters have to be used along with the high-velocity fans which of course are much pricier and the reason why I havent been able to address the problem right now. On my last visit to the HTG store I discussed this with the sales guy there and while I know that its his business to sell the products and extract as much money from me as he can, he told me that the basic can-fan is for moving air and dissipating heat and would not work well and would probably have a very short life connected to a carbon filter. His suggestion for the proper way to achive the desired results came up to over 200 bucks and that wasnt, and unfortunately still isnt in my budget. I explained that to the guy and he seemed like a straight shooter because he said that he understands what I'm saying but he didnt want to sell me something that wasnt going to work. He just insisted that these carbon filters need the HV fans.
  • jangel, GeeGee and sandbreak like this

#17 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

I use a carbon filter with a blower but I also have ona gel.  I used the gel once but the whole house smelled like a mens room however, I believe they come in different scents.  The filter works best in my opinion but the blower does make noise.  I never detected any strong oders until I turned off the blower, the whole room reeks.

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#18 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21659 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Ona is an emergency "oh shit!" fix. A good carbon filter and/or negative ionization is best....

• CrazyDave likes this

#19 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Oh crap!  There I go again bringing up a 4 year old thread.  twocents.gif

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#20 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21659 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

Oh crap!  There I go again bringing up a 4 year old thread.  twocents.gif

Doesn't hurt a thing and information is the important thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users