15 replies to this topic

#1 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

to have a truly organic grow without the use of liquid fertilizers? Can enough guano, bone meal, blood meal, worm castings.... be used to sustain the plant? I like to transplant a few weeks before flowering into larger pots. I would replenish those nutrients in my soil and continue with the flowering. Has anyone tried this with success?
  • Pappy likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 knottyd

knottyd

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

to have a truly organic grow without the use of liquid fertilizers? Can enough guano, bone meal, blood meal, worm castings.... be used to sustain the plant? I like to transplant a few weeks before flowering into larger pots. I would replenish those nutrients in my soil and continue with the flowering. Has anyone tried this with success?

I dont see why it wouldnt work but have you thought about making a tea? Why dont you want to use liquid fertilizer? there are 100% organic fertalizers..I use foxfarm and its 100% organic..my whole grow is organic
  • Pappy likes this

#3 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

I use botanicare pro bloom which claims to be organic. What I found was that the plant would still get a little nute burn even at 1/2 strength doses. That could be because of the soil I was using at the time as well. I used miracle grow, but now I use fox farm with perilite, guano, and dried blood mixed in for veg.

#4 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hey GSS,Knottyd, Yes the plant will live and do well in the mix you have there.Knottyd is right about making tea for them too.When doing this kind of a grow you will want to know what the ppm's of the run off is.This way you will know when to water with tea.By watching the ppm's you will know when they start to feed heavy and you can adjust the tea to a stronger tea or weaker.The ppm's and the PH play alot in this type of grow{all organic} on yeald and healthier plants.When flowering begains you will want to switch the teas to one with more phosphoric and magnesium in it and less nitrogen.But yes just good soil mix and foxfarm organic nutr and you will be fine.PEACE
  • Pappy likes this

#5 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

As long as you no longer use Miracle Grow, you should do much better. Even mentioning MG around here, is like violating GP's proper language etiquette. lol

#6 Guest_2stoned_*

Guest_2stoned_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

I use foxfarm and its 100% organic

nope..they claim organic but its not fully....100% organic is fine the only cons are the fact that you get less yeild an your not sure what nutes are being uptaken...you will probly need to add some extra pk in the begining of flowering an the middle....peace

#7 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hey GSS,Knottyd, Yes the plant will live and do well in the mix you have there.Knottyd is right about making tea for them too.When doing this kind of a grow you will want to know what the ppm's of the run off is.This way you will know when to water with tea.By watching the ppm's you will know when they start to feed heavy and you can adjust the tea to a stronger tea or weaker.The ppm's and the PH play alot in this type of grow{all organic} on yeald and healthier plants.When flowering begains you will want to switch the teas to one with more phosphoric and magnesium in it and less nitrogen.But yes just good soil mix and foxfarm organic nutr and you will be fine.PEACE

Thanks tokecrazy. I will look into a meter for that. I am pretty new to all of this, only 1 grow under my belt, working on grow #2 now; Satori, Mango and "Mable." I will start up a journal tonight when I get home.

#8 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

I use botanicare pro bloom which claims to be organic. What I found was that the plant would still get a little nute burn even at 1/2 strength doses. That could be because of the soil I was using at the time as well. I used miracle grow, but now I use fox farm with perilite, guano, and dried blood mixed in for veg.

i see miracle grow soil - i see your biggest problem, that stuff is a plant killer.

sure, you can grow on only rabbit droppings, i did so last summer outdoors and my tomatoes never been feed with anything else and those do great despite standing on more then poor soil.

and that you can't creat nute burns with organic fertilizers is one of those big myth out there - sure you can do it with those as well since they contain more nutes and mineral as natural soil ever would. and due to this they can cause burns just as every other fertilizer.
ever seen a field fertilized with cow manure? you will see plenty of burned plants right after that on the field - if they don't tin it out enough there will be nothing left beside cow shit.

#9 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

As long as you no longer use Miracle Grow, you should do much better. Even mentioning MG around here, is like violating GP's proper language etiquette. lol

LOL, tanks Pappy. No I dont touch the stuff anymore, been clean for 2 months now.) My grow now is ocean forest soil, bat guano, dried blood, and perilite added in for veg.

#10 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

and that you can't creat nute burns with organic fertilizers is one of those big myth out there - sure you can do it with those as well since they contain more nutes and mineral as natural soil ever would. and due to this they can cause burns just as every other fertilizer.
ever seen a field fertilized with cow manure? you will see plenty of burned plants right after that on the field - if they don't tin it out enough there will be nothing left beside cow shit.

Exactly, that is what I would like to avoid all together if possible. I noticed in my first grow with the MG soil, once the plant got burnt there was nothing I could do BUT flush the heck out of it, and it slowed everything down. The plant was awesome when finished, but I want to avoid that this time around if I can.

#11 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Technically pot doesn't need any fertilizer if grown in soil, so its certainly possible, and people have done it. its just easier to make slight adjustments with water soluble fertilizers.

#12 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

Exactly, that is what I would like to avoid all together if possible. I noticed in my first grow with the MG soil, once the plant got burnt there was nothing I could do BUT flush the heck out of it, and it slowed everything down. The plant was awesome when finished, but I want to avoid that this time around if I can.

well MG shit is another topic on it self - i never seen a other grower that used that stuff that didn't end up with at least slightly burned plants - and those that claimed they done without also never could post a picture of a plant they grown.
and it is no big mystery for me as i know how that stuff is granulated in production - pretty much every washing powder is better granulated:D:
and the soil is over-fertilized too - in some cases the MG burned the plant even without addition nutes, especially in combination of no drainage + light over-watering it seems to dissolve the nutes in the soil way faster then they should.

#13 Sergione

Sergione

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

If not Miricle grow what soil would be good????something found in say walmart and do you mix other nutrients prior to transplant or add later ontop of the existing soil near the bottom of the plant Sorry, dont mean to highjack the thread

#14 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

Pro Mix. Or buy regular sterilized soil and some perlite. and mix it about 60/40 soil/perlite. the perlite will aerate the soil and allow roots to move through easier.

#15 Sergione

Sergione

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Pro Mix. Or buy regular sterilized soil and some perlite. and mix it about 60/40 soil/perlite. the perlite will aerate the soil and allow roots to move through easier.

thank you for the info, big help

#16 kennkenniff

kennkenniff

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

mg soil already has fertilezer in it i think 20-20-20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users