* * - - - 1 votes

All about PH

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_SMoKaLoTaPoT_*

Guest_SMoKaLoTaPoT_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

PH worries can be addressed at any Hydro equip shop & My first grow I didn't even care about that as solutions were changed religiously weekly! I even dumped the old stuff on the garden so nothing went to waste! I read through this thread & Ebson salt I saw mentioned..DO NOT USE as it contaians "SALT"....Sulfuric acid can be had at any pool supply section or pool supply store! As for pure lime - major garden centers!

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 Raider_aod_2000

Raider_aod_2000

Ebb & Flow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

I use an Ebb & Flow unit so its not to hard to controll me PH now that im use to it. The easy way to do it is i have an advanced tester that is always testing and slowly adds drops of up or down *mostly down* into my tank untill it reaches and stays at 5.8 The other way is just to buy a product called PH perfect. It is a liquid solution that makes your PH exactly what it needs to be as long as it doesnt start higher than 7.5 or lower than 4.0, hard or soft water doesnt matter it will do it all. This product is very good if you are doing DWC or Soil grows. So remember hydro fans 5.8 is where you want to be =)

#28 Lucky_Cat

Lucky_Cat

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9678 posts
  • Locationllanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:40 AM

Can I add my own learning curve here? Right .. PH 7, lovely lovely PH7, the most neutral of PH's, most plants will do well in a compost that is ph7 or near to it... now I thought a lower ph meant lower nutes, NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER AWAY FROM THE TRUTH... we learn from our own mistakes, mine was ASSUMING that lower meant lower in everything etc wall.gifwall.gifwall.gifwall.gifwall.gif
  • Bueller and DayTripping like this

#29 punisher

punisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

I have a ph of 7 is that to high

#30 Guest_PotentGreen_*

Guest_PotentGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:57 AM

so if the ph drops, as fertilizers get added over time, is it better to start with a soil with a slightly more alkaline ph?

#31 Guest_PotentGreen_*

Guest_PotentGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:11 AM

so if the ph drops, as fertilizers get added over time, is it better to start with a soil with a slightly more alkaline ph?

#32 noob

noob

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

Home Depot caries it any pool supply will as well. Noob Kicking the Timer bank again

#33 playk328

playk328

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

Ok I am going to write this and I may catch some grief for this but here we go. I have not checked my ph on anything going into my soil in a long time. You do not need to ph organics. I use general organics with an organic soil mix. I only check my runnoff every now and then if there seems to be something wrong. As for actually adjusting my ph I do not adjust it, there is no need to. As for adding things to adjust ph, if you are running in an organic grow DO NOT USE sythetic ph up or down. The ph down isn't as bad as ph up but they are not good for the micro life you have going on in an organic garden. SO if your worried about ph GROW WITH ORGANICS and you will be just fine. I hope this helps.

#34 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

you can adjust the ph of organics with things like lime to make it go up and unbrewed coffee grounds to go down (brewed coffee gronds are great for soils and composts, but are usually ph neutral.)... i also think theres some organic ph adjusters on the market

and playk328, soils do need adjusting. even organics. the ph you have may be just right. but many times its not.

even when growing outdoors the soils may no be the right ph. especially in pine forests where the ph is acidic...
  • Lucky_Cat and teddys head like this

#35 deke22

deke22

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

love the ph chart as the water here is hoooooorrrrible, but i got a tester kit with ph up and down, £10 for 250 tests, and works a treat.Its actually a test kit for freshwater fish,but does great for my girls, peace Posted Image

#36 bigC

bigC

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well, I decided to use promix hp because I was thinking it would be easier to work with. I'm finding the ph of runoff is very hard to correct, it's still under 6, and can't seem to get it to the 6.5 mark. I got a Technaflora ph up bottle, and am pouring huge amounts in to correct the low ph of the runoff. When the water settles I can see the chalky residue built up on the bottom, so I stir it up again. Do you just keep adding the ph up until you get the correct reading ? I haven't put nutrients in yet...just trying to wet the promix first and correct the ph. I also found some dolomite lime but haven't added it yet as I'm not sure what amount to add to 1 gal pot, to increae the ph. Your help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you

#37 DaveBC

DaveBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi guys my first post here. : ) My water PH is 7.0 My soil PH is 6.3 My runoff water after feeding Heavy Harvest Summer Blend is 7.0 Should I add some lime to bring up the soil PH to 6.8? And If so, each girl is in 4 ft round by 2 ft deep hole. How much hydrated lime would bring up the PH 5 points? Thanks for your help.

Edited by DaveBC, 07 August 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#38 DaveBC

DaveBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

pretty quiet around here... Well I tried about a 1/2 cup of hydrated builders lime per hole. After two days my soil ph is 7. I watered it in. Then flushed to avoid root burn. Hope its not too late to get some growth from these stunted little girls.

#39 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

G'day dave...sorry I missed ya first post...builders lime is not really good enough, I think [gonna hafta check it and get back to ya]...it takes some time to break down...soil ph 6.3 is not a major emergency...a good flush of ph'ed water will often settle the ph in a reasonable way, IME You mentioned ya growing in pots of soil, but did not mention a brand or mix or if you have added perlite or anything...if it's straight soil it may take some time to dry out ... muA
  • teddys head, HD96 and Blue61 like this

#40 DaveBC

DaveBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

G'day dave...sorry I missed ya first post...builders lime is not really good enough, I think [gonna hafta check it and get back to ya]...it takes some time to break down...soil ph 6.3 is not a major emergency...a good flush of ph'ed water will often settle the ph in a reasonable way, IME

You mentioned ya growing in pots of soil, but did not mention a brand or mix or if you have added perlite or anything...if it's straight soil it may take some time to dry out ...
muA

Thanks for the reply, I'm in the ground hole is about 2 cubic ft. with a mix of potting, and local soil of a sandy loam type, with some bark mixed in for holding water. I have not noticed any burn since i used the builders lime. I got the info to use it off the internet some where as a "quick fix". I feed twice monthly with Heavy Harvest summer blend and Granny's molasses, B1 for roots.

Edited by DaveBC, 12 August 2012 - 02:53 PM.

• Tokecrazy, teddys head and kittypup like this

#41 Quark

Quark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

I wanted to use my own soil, but the pH is 7.5. I've been reading about using wood chip to decrease the pH, but i've read people having trouble with burning their plants. I'm trying to avoid things like pH Up, but if there's no alternative, i'll go with it. Just wanted to ask the question first.
  • teddys head likes this

#42 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I wanted to use my own soil, but the pH is 7.5. I've been reading about using wood chip to decrease the pH, but i've read people having trouble with burning their plants. I'm trying to avoid things like pH Up, but if there's no alternative, i'll go with it. Just wanted to ask the question first.

It's a little high but not bad, I would just keep my water properly pHed and you should be cool.
  • teddys head and Quark like this

#43 Quark

Quark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Cheers man. That's good to know. My tap waters around neutral (6.8) so it might just be fine. Never hurts to check though.
  • teddys head likes this

#44 Eman4200

Eman4200

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Flushing, ph????? Flushed plant in 5 gal bucket cause its showing signs of lockout flushed with 6.5 phd water with1/4 doseof fox farms and 1/2 tsp of epsom salt in each gallon andflushed with 20 gallons fan leaves gro in looking healthy butmature with lil brown spotsthat eventuallytake over leaf lookingrusty brown and crumbly. I could not get my runoff ph to go up my metr only goes to 6.8 for lowand thats a pale light orange asit goes higher it gets redder my runoff is light yellow indicating real lo ph im thinkin around5.5 even after 20 gallons went through it not at alll there trying to flower dont get it need to solve
  • teddys head likes this

#45 Eman4200

Eman4200

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is what shes lookin like beginning week 2 of flower

Attached Files

• Turf and teddys head like this

#46 Eman4200

Eman4200

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Gow come some of my newer fan leaves are still getting lil brown spots

#47 enterprisebbc

enterprisebbc

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

One gallon of ph Down: $27 plus shipping. So around $40 a gallon. One teaspoon adjusts 5 gallons of 8.0 water down to 6.8 - 6.9 ph. There are 767.999 teaspoons in a gallon. One gallon of ph Down makes 3839 gallons of ph'd water. Boils down to 1.04 cents per gallon batch. A penny a batch is hard to beat, and the phosphoric acid is agricultural-grade...made for this specific purpose, unlike battery acid. And stability is not a problem...I've had the same gallon bottle for two years, and no degredation of the product, or it's effects.

Lemon juice works great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users