46 replies to this topic

#1 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

PH is complicated, there are various aspects to it, the water, your nutes all effect the ph. Do you know if your nutes raise or lower your ph? Do you use actually domolite lime? This is good to use. What is your ph out of the faucet, vs after you add your nutes? If all this sounds confusing......GOOD! Let's simplify it for you: Before we do, let me assure you that if your PH is too far one way or the other, you will lock out certain nutes, here is a chart explaining that, it includes both hydro and soil: Attached File  phnutrcombo3.jpg   41.57KB   552 downloads You can see here that the acceptable range is very small, 6.6 to 6.8 in soil. Rather than PHing your water, than again after you add your nutes, and.....you still don't know how your soil will effect the PH, so the proper way is to take a sample of your runoff after you've fed your babies. This way you are getting a true measurement of everything involved. You can see in the chart how being off just a little bit will lock out specific nutes, and I'll bet you, PH being out of whack is the cause of most deficiency's during a grow.
  • green_nobody, blingmow, alienseeker and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_GeckoPunk_*

Guest_GeckoPunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

PH is complicated, there are various aspects to it, the water, your nutes all effect the ph. Do you know if your nutes raise or lower your ph?

Do you use actually domolite lime? This is good to use.

What is your ph out of the faucet, vs after you add your nutes?

If all this sounds confusing......GOOD!
Let's simplify it for you:

Before we do, let me assure you that if your PH is too far one way or the other, you will lock out certain nutes, here is a chart explaining that, it includes both hydro and soil:
[attach]639[/attach]

You can see here that the acceptable range is very small, 6.6 to 6.8 in soil.

Rather than PHing your water, than again after you add your nutes, and.....you still don't know how your soil will effect the PH, so the proper way is to take a sample of your runoff after you've fed your babies. This way you are getting a true measurement of everything involved.

You can see in the chart how being off just a little bit will lock out specific nutes, and I'll bet you, PH being out of whack is the cause of most deficiency's during a grow.

Great advice bro...
I remember that chart from CC, it's pretty helpful.

I never use it anymore though, mainly cause I keep my plants at a strict 6.5 where practically all the nutes needed can be absorbed via the roots...

#3 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

man, you don't belief what trouble i went thru to find that one today - search function didn't turned it up nor did search by your threads for some reason. glad that my brain kicked in again at some point:D:

#4 midgradeindasouth

midgradeindasouth

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

What is up with egg shells or sea shells. I suppose calcium. What does calcium do to ph?

#5 lagboatlenny

lagboatlenny

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

i bought some ph minus from an aquarium shop(fish tanks). its ok for the fishes so i assume its ok for my plants is it? peace

#6 Guest_Fredfarted_*

Guest_Fredfarted_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Yea whats it made of? Better off with Sulfuric acid. Cheaper works longer and the plant need the sulfer

#7 lagboatlenny

lagboatlenny

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

thanxs for replying. i will find out what its made of 2moro. where would i get some sulpuric acid peace

#8 Guest_Fredfarted_*

Guest_Fredfarted_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

I use sulfuric acid, Regular battery acid. Its cheap and adds sulfur to the plants which they need anyway. I don't water it down I use it straight out of the bottle, I have 100 gallon res tanks, If I have smaller res tanks then I would dilute it.

You can buy the 15 dollar a quart PH Down at the hydro store or buy some sulfuric acid from the auto parts store. It's 7.50 a so for a quart of it that'll make about four gallons. You mix a cup of the sulfuric acid with a gallon of distilled water that's had a cup of it poured out. That's 15 to 1 water and acid; about 2.3% or so.

Sulfuric's more stable than the stuff from the hydro store because the hydro store stuff is a blend. They make it that way so they don't skew the ppm ratios for the phosphorus and nitrogen.

The sulfuric acid is a lot cheaper; and a lot more stable.

All auto stores sell sulfuric acid. It's purified so it'll function as battery electrolyte. It doesn't have any impurities, because if it did, it wouldn't function in a battery.

You get a quart of it, it comes inside a plastic bag that has a nozzle on it.

Get a gallon of distilled water. Pour out, one eight ounce cup. Dry the measuring cup. Pour one eight ounce cup of acid into the measuring cup, pour that into the gallon of distilled water you poured a cup of water out of, shake: and you're good to go.

That 7.50 you spend will make enough pH down for many, many grows. Or, you can go to the hydro store and buy blended pH down for 15 bucks a bottle. It doesn't work as well by a long shot but it does have a nice exotic label.

NOTE: WHEN AN ACID MIXES WITH WATER, HEAT IS GIVEN OFF IN RELATIVELY SMALL, YET SIGNIFICANT QUANTITIES.

DO NOT DO NOT MIX WATER,

INTO ACID.

DO MIX ACID, INTO A LARGE QUANTITY OF WATER.

If you drop the water into concentrated acid, the resultant steam droplet, surrounded by WAY enough acid to boil that little drop, will result in an expanding steam droplet so quick and severe, that acid will splash all over your ***.

The acid, dropped into the water, will be cooled by the vast quantity of water, and no such 'explosive expansion' will occur.

#9 thenoffya

thenoffya

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

That's 15 to 1 water and acid; about 2.3% or so.

Actually, 15 to 1 would be 6.25%. Other than that, cool info Fred.
  • DayTripping likes this

#10 ganjababy

ganjababy

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

My pH is too high (7.5ish) I think it was beacause I put a bit much lime in the soil. I've been trying to bring it down with water at 6.5 but to no avail. My plants are only a week old and they show no signs of being sick. Should I dump the soil and remix or should I try to bring the pH down. Are there any suggestions?
  • DayTripping likes this

#11 Baywatch242000

Baywatch242000

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

My pH is too high (7.5ish) I think it was beacause I put a bit much lime in the soil. I've been trying to bring it down with water at 6.5 but to no avail. My plants are only a week old and they show no signs of being sick. Should I dump the soil and remix or should I try to bring the pH down. Are there any suggestions?

Is LIME the only thing that will bring the PH down? Is it bad for plants?

I have 8.0 PH tap water and need to bring it down as well. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

#12 chiefa

chiefa

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

i am using promix what should my ph be @?

#13 GSR

GSR

Medicinal Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

Chiefa, You cant go wrong if your runoff is 6.5 to 6.8 shoot for 6.5 GSR
  • DayTripping likes this

#14 chiefa

chiefa

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

i water from the bottom any idea how to get run off. i have to find a dig camera. leaves are yellowing.

#15 Michael

Michael

Asshat Extrordinaire

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I use apple cider vinegar, usually. But, I like the idea of using sulfuric acid. It's very stable, like y'all say.

#16 Guest_SomeDude_*

Guest_SomeDude_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Epsom salts has sulfur in it too

#17 Guest_Rusty Trichome_*

Guest_Rusty Trichome_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

General Hydroponics ph Down is phosphoric acid, which plants not only need...they love the stuff. I water from a well on my property, which comes out of the ground at 8.0 ph. One teaspoon per 5 gallon bucket of water brings the ph down to 6.8 or so, and I've been on the same gallon of ph Down for around two years now. No worries of build-up or splash burns, and it is a good compliment to the Fox Farms regimen I have 'em on.

#18 Michael

Michael

Asshat Extrordinaire

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for a viewpoint that supports the product. I don't think a product would be so successful, if it wasn't any good. There has to be an advantage over home brew solutions or they simply would sell very much of it and wouldn't still be in business. I like to think capitalism has some good points and quality merchandise is one of them.

#19 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hey Guys I have been using battery acid ever since fred posted it.it works great.The box of acid cost $7.98 for 32ozs and it will make 4 gallons.One gal distilled water $0.80 so it's cheap to make and use.The plant like sulfur too and use it.The store brought stuff cost $14.95 a quart.One of the hydro stores I go to has there own ph up that they sell for $9.95 a quart.I ask and he said they make it from sulfur acid and they add a buffer to it.I'am running two res and more plants in dirt then I have in along while.Try it you will like it. Peace
  • justanotherbozo, 4evergreen and kittypup like this

#20 Guest_Rusty Trichome_*

Guest_Rusty Trichome_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

One gallon of ph Down: $27 plus shipping. So around $40 a gallon. One teaspoon adjusts 5 gallons of 8.0 water down to 6.8 - 6.9 ph. There are 767.999 teaspoons in a gallon. One gallon of ph Down makes 3839 gallons of ph'd water. Boils down to 1.04 cents per gallon batch. A penny a batch is hard to beat, and the phosphoric acid is agricultural-grade...made for this specific purpose, unlike battery acid. And stability is not a problem...I've had the same gallon bottle for two years, and no degredation of the product, or it's effects.

Edited by Rusty Trichome, 02 April 2009 - 08:40 AM.

#21 PotNinja

PotNinja

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Is LIME the only thing that will bring the PH down? Is it bad for plants?

I have 8.0 PH tap water and need to bring it down as well. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

Lime actually increases the PH.

#22 Guest_Old Hopeful_*

Guest_Old Hopeful_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:37 AM

I had heard that baking sode will bring the PH down and vinagar will raise the PH. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Hmm might go back to science class and try some experiments.

#23 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

I had heard that baking sode will bring the PH down and vinagar will raise the PH. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Hmm might go back to science class and try some experiments.

Regular old vinegar has a pH of about 2.5, adding it will increase your acidity and lower your pH number.
Baking soda has a pH of about 8.0, adding it will raise your alkalinity and your pH number.
  • CAMSTER626 and DayTripping like this

#24 Guest_Old Hopeful_*

Guest_Old Hopeful_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the correction was told backwards. Does anyone using this items to help control the ph or just use the ph up/ph down stuff in the stores?

#25 PWDRBZKT

PWDRBZKT

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

i am using successfully vinegar so far. its good for lowering ph in my soil grow, tablespoon for each pint i water my babies with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users