Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Looks like your giving the trichs a distraction to defend against UV and they forget to turn amber ,so they can get bigger and stronger while their forgetting. . lol Great progress MC. Amazing so far, actually.
  • jangel, Bueller, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#28 Bueller

Bueller

Good Bye

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25979 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

The muffin man thanks you muchly MCC! VK is now officially on my gotta have list.. Peace! Pete
  • jangel, Itinkso, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#29 alienascii

alienascii

Extraterrestrial Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

great experiment you have going MCOne, thanks for sharing so others can learn, I'm definitely looking forward to the outcome. I've been using mixed spectrum for some time, the basic model is a 4x8 tent 12 plants 2-1000w lights and a 125w or 250w full spectrum Veg cfl hanging in the middle. All plants are turned so all parts of the buds get light. I'm not sure if it's the UVB responsible, but I'll never flower with only HPS again! Way less stretch, more yield and resin! Great job on this I'm subscribed :pns:

#30 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Light has been increased to 2.5 hours during peak hours and moved to 1-2" from the flowers because they are low wattage bulbs. This should be a good damage test and set parameters for future tests. Plant is looking great, noticeable difference between it and the control, but not insane. this will be my personal headstash, cant wait to see if the effect is amplified. .
  • jangel, Itinkso and sandbreak like this

#31 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

The LED info is from an article, not my own photos, I do not own any LEDs.
If this experiment works, then I will be in the market for some and will post what I find...
But it is my understanding that maximum absorption happens at 660nm red and anything above 680nm INHIBITS flowering slightly thus standardizing thc output.

It is suggested to obtain a bank of 1w diodes that are a mix of blue and red and at least 40% 660nm red.
It is further stated that 3 and 5w diodes run hotter and have the ability to easily stress a plant.

I prefer to rotate and rearrange all of my plants, even those under direct HID but will be rotating the VK every day when I increase the minutes on the timer / switch.

UVB is not 660... you are talking about far red light there. when you get to 730 nm, you get a far red spectrum that can be used to "fake" a 2 hour head start on the sleep cycle, effectively cutting 2 hours of required darkness off of your cycle, to get more light into your plant.

UVB 320 nm - 290 nm

alienascii - there is no UVB produced by CFL's. however, by adding the blue spectrum, you stop the red dominant spectrum from stretching the plants (plants stretch when they get into the far red light spectrum for too long, it tells the plant it is in shade, and needs to stretch to the light). If you add the UVB too, you will get short, dense plants that are dripping with frosty goodness.

Great info, MCOne, I am going to give this a try this coming month!

#32 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Envind, thank you but I believe you are misunderstanding greatly my intent and my position here..

The only reason the LED's were mentioned was because it was from an article on increasing potency. So it may be another method of doing so with the correct wavelengths, but it gives us deductive insight into the drawbacks of HPS and HID light which are where I found value in the information.

I stated that 680NM FAR RED AND ABOVE will INHIBIT FLOWERING creating A STANDARDIZED POTENCY.

It is further stated that HPS includes these spectrums of 680NM red and above..

I never said that 660 NM red contains UVB or UV only that it is to be used if flowering with LEDs as the article states 680nm and above should not be used.

When I stated I may purchase LEDs it was not for UV light but for their ability to output a specific spectrum. This is completely different and if it takes place will be a different experiment long down the road. Because my interest is in UV light and its effect on THC and Trichome production and frequency.

MY POSITION IN THIS THREAD: is that by supplementing UVB with HPS we can emulate the outdoor environment and increase potency.

And, unfortunately, I disagree with you that CFL's do not produce UV light because I purchased and there are pictures in this thread of a 26w CFL UV 10 reptile light.

Hope this clears things up.

Additionally, If I were to design a new flower chamber given what I know now, I would use 50% MH and 50%HPS instead of 100% HPS. I will also tentatively state that this setup may not produce as much as 100% hps, but it could potentially produce material of more effect.

UVB is not 660... you are talking about far red light there. when you get to 730 nm, you get a far red spectrum that can be used to "fake" a 2 hour head start on the sleep cycle, effectively cutting 2 hours of required darkness off of your cycle, to get more light into your plant.

UVB 320 nm - 290 nm

alienascii - there is no UVB produced by CFL's. however, by adding the blue spectrum, you stop the red dominant spectrum from stretching the plants (plants stretch when they get into the far red light spectrum for too long, it tells the plant it is in shade, and needs to stretch to the light). If you add the UVB too, you will get short, dense plants that are dripping with frosty goodness.

Great info, MCOne, I am going to give this a try this coming month!

Edited by MCOne, 28 December 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#33 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

U V B, T H C, & M E

I am no scientist and heck I am not the smartest guy in the world,
So I understand that this thread is confusing.

Please anyone who is interested in UV light and Cannabis please watch these two videos
These videos explain all of the information far better than I could even try to re-create.

Part 1

Part 2
http://www.vimeo.com/18254440

Jah bless and may your endeavors be fruitful.
:)

Edited by MCOne, 28 December 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#34 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

you are right, little uvb in cfl's, not "none"... and I did mis-read, but I am confused still: if 660 nm is the beginning of the far-red, why would you want to add it to the bank of led's? so 50/50 MH to HPS??? I was thinking, since I am moving and about to rebuild, I would double my lights to 6x600, so you think 3 is a good mix. I was also thinking about taking the glass off of the lamps, just keeping them individually venting to keep the heat out of the garden, but avoid the loss of UVB to the glass. Then, add 4' reptile bulbs above the plants, single bulb t5's, up near the HID's, but I don't know if that is too far away, and not sure how long to let them run for, with the increased distance. Any suggestions?

#35 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thats the thing, I have no idea why the 660Nm red is suggested other than that it where maximum absorption of light occurs for red light..

That set-up sounds ideal! Like something from my dreams!!

Follow my schedule above, or you can wait and I will post my final schedule soon.

Cheers and thank you for following

you are right, little uvb in cfl's, not "none"...
and I did mis-read, but I am confused still: if 660 nm is the beginning of the far-red, why would you want to add it to the bank of led's?

so 50/50 MH to HPS??? I was thinking, since I am moving and about to rebuild, I would double my lights to 6x600, so you think 3 is a good mix. I was also thinking about taking the glass off of the lamps, just keeping them individually venting to keep the heat out of the garden, but avoid the loss of UVB to the glass.
Then, add 4' reptile bulbs above the plants, single bulb t5's, up near the HID's, but I don't know if that is too far away, and not sure how long to let them run for, with the increased distance.

Any suggestions?

Edited by MCOne, 29 December 2010 - 01:06 AM.

#36 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

Day 50 of 63 UVB exposed Vanilla Kush Attached File  UVBDEC27.jpg   267.42KB   115 downloads Might not look like it in the photo, but this thing is covered in resin. More than the un-exposed plant

Edited by MCOne, 29 December 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#37 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:55 AM

Wow MCOne, that's great. looks like the trichs were spread on with a butter knife...lol. Gonna stay with this one. Thanks!
  • jangel, Itinkso and MCOne like this

#38 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

mc1 ...this is looking good :I agree: hehhehehe muA

#39 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Day 57 of 60-68
This the UVB exposed plant
Is it me or are there TRICHOMES ON THE PISTILS?

Attached File  UVB_vk57.jpg   277.84KB   144 downloads

Edited by MCOne, 07 January 2011 - 05:28 PM.

• jangel, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#40 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Wowsers MC looking great !!!
  • jangel and Itinkso like this

#41 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

the BEST of my 6 in flower dosen't look half this good. Im getting UVB in the bloom. WOW! Thanks so much, MCOne, great thread!

#42 Transcendence

Transcendence

South of Heaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationUnder the Sun, High watchng the Waves

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Fantastic research MCOne! rasta.nana.gif

Edited by Bluewater, 03 January 2011 - 02:19 PM.

• jangel and Itinkso like this

#43 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

Very Nice MC
  • MCOne likes this

#44 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:07 AM

Mc1...I always knew the UVB would work wonders hehehe having seen results on other sites...but yours...well, they's awesome hehehehe muA
  • jangel, sandbreak and MCOne like this

#45 420UG

420UG

Pollen Chucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Great Thread MC ONE... I have been interested in UVBs for some time now. I got in on this thread late but Im gonna ride it out till the end... The last time I had to replace the bulb in my 400hps I decided to go with ceramic metal halide, It runs in conjunction with a 600hps in my soil grow and the trich production along with bud density increased drastically with the CMH bulb. The downside is they don't make them in 1000W so if these UVB floros work well I will go in this direction.
  • jangel, teddys head, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#46 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

DAY 61 FLOWER - VANILLA KUSH Attached File  nonuvb_vk61-1.jpg   230.79KB   177 downloads Attached File  uvb_vk61-1web.jpg   241.3KB   173 downloads
  • DieAbetic, jangel, Bueller and 3 others like this

#47 420UG

420UG

Pollen Chucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

She is properly stacked now MC I think its pretty clear to see that the UV Kush is alot stickier...
  • jangel, Bueller and sandbreak like this

#48 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Simply incredible.

I want to try this now....just awesome.

Thank you for showing us this.

I would love to here of how the harvest differs on these two girls, how the buds smoke and the high.

I will return!

Posted Image
  • Bueller, teddys head, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#49 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Incredible MC....just incredible. Thanks! Dog
  • teddys head, sandbreak and MCOne like this

#50 Bueller

Bueller

Good Bye

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25979 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Way kewl bro, great thread from concept to execution, love the thought of the day 65 shots of the VK'' You did a great service to theory, impressive MCC! Pete
  • Itinkso, sandbreak and MCOne like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users