#1 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

During my reading yesterday I found that UVB increases resin drastically, and the amount of UVB available is in direct relation to the amount of thc produced. This means that plants who get more light energy can produce more thc in the end, but it also means that all artificial lights and any HID that passes through glass will produce buds of an quote "standardized (limited) potency."

Supplemental UVB is available from reptile lights and MH's without the glass, and tanning bulbs, but the most uvb is available towards the equater (Hawaii gets 4x the amount as Illinois) and for the US, the western coast gets nearly double that of the east. The peak uvb time is June 22nd so the best and most potent outdoor is force flowered outside with shade curtains to take advantage of the extreme UVB available mid summer as opposed to plants which ripen in the fall and do not have access to as much UVB and dont produce as much resin per inch.

Resin is the plants form of sunblock -- the more UVB the more resin the plants produce to shield themselves.

On plants where UVB levels are sufficient the bud tips will be completely immersed in trichomes
Trichomes that recieve sufficient UVB light will swell to fill the available surface area between other trichome heads creating a glass coating over the bud with very little plant material visible.

In a garden that uses 1000w of HID 100w of UVB bulbs are suggested, so 10% of your output should be supplemented.
Make sure to ease them in, meaning start with very little (a minute or two every hour or so) during the peak daylight hours ONCE RESIN IS PRESENT and at a heightened distance from the plants) otherwise you will BURN YOUR PLANTS and the damage wont show up for a couple days after the burn!

Edited by MCOne, 17 December 2010 - 12:31 PM.

• jangel, 1tru1, Bueller and 15 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Additionally, When using this technique you can plan on seeing resin where ever the UVB supplemented light reaches, so FIMMING, multiple cropping and super-cropping can be employed to position more of your floral clusters at the canopy where light is the most intense and resin production is highest.

Remember to use sunglasses or turn off the lights when working in the room because I am reading the lights can damage your eyes.

:D Jah Bless

Edited by MCOne, 15 December 2010 - 06:50 PM.

• jangel, Bueller, Lucky_Cat and 8 others like this

#3 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

aquarium lights are the most efficient source, and cost effective, that I could find. You can get targeted bulbs for Psoriasis that are perfect UVB, but it is 7w for a few hundred bucks. Lizard lights are 10% UVB output, higher than many tanning bulbs, and can run (24") 10 bucks a piece for T5's. and it is easy to hang a t5 bank down the sides to side light. The biggest concern is to have a separate switch set up to turn them OFF if you go into the tent. you will burn to a crisp in minutes. but they do work nicely, and if you turn your plants a little every day, you get the UVB all around it. Suppliment 8 bulb banks 1/2 UVB 1/2 2000k (that is red, isn't it? i get them mixed up) and you get a little boost in light and UVB, good for yield and potency.
  • jangel, Bueller, Lucky_Cat and 5 others like this

#4 peacepipe

peacepipe

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hiya, Mc1! Is this something you've tried? Indoors, is it just a matter of adding the light or is there more to it than that (e.g.more nutes, set temperature)? If I am to add 10% more to my lighting bill, the increased resin production better be at least 10% more! We've done a bit of force flowering, as well as having autos flower in June-July, and there is a real difference: like using 600w instead of 400w to flower. Mo'bigga bud. bye now!
  • jangel, Bueller, Lucky_Cat and 5 others like this

#5 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

thank you very much for your input. This is all information I learned less than 12 hours ago.
I didnt want to endorse anything until I got the science across, but I will be using lizard lights to supplement UVB in my room due to cost effectiveness but yiu could try the LED's method if heat is a concern.

Also, interestingly, outdoor construction workers and equilateral people (where more UVB is) have a lower occurance of skin cancer though pointing to UVB as blocking the cancer that UVA seems to cause as UVA can pentrate glass and clothing and indoor office workers have a high rate of cancer, seemingly, due to UVB / D vitamen defficancy.

You are right that my UVB light will be on its own timer and its own independent light cycle with its own switch.

aquarium lights are the most efficient source, and cost effective, that I could find.
You can get targeted bulbs for Psoriasis that are perfect UVB, but it is 7w for a few hundred bucks. Lizard lights are 10% UVB output, higher than many tanning bulbs, and can run (24") 10 bucks a piece for T5's. and it is easy to hang a t5 bank down the sides to side light.

The biggest concern is to have a separate switch set up to turn them OFF if you go into the tent. you will burn to a crisp in minutes.
but they do work nicely, and if you turn your plants a little every day, you get the UVB all around it. Suppliment 8 bulb banks 1/2 UVB 1/2 2000k (that is red, isn't it? i get them mixed up) and you get a little boost in light and UVB, good for yield and potency.

I have not tried this indoors but will be posting my results and encourage anyone who tries or has tried this to post their results here!

However, I have personally seen and sampled buds that were force flowered outdoors during June (highest uvb) and they are far better than the samples that ripened naturally in October when UVB is low.

Hiya, Mc1!
Is this something you've tried?
Indoors, is it just a matter of adding the light or is there more to it than that (e.g.more nutes, set temperature)? If I am to add 10% more to my lighting bill, the increased resin production better be at least 10% more!
We've done a bit of force flowering, as well as having autos flower in June-July, and there is a real difference: like using 600w instead of 400w to flower. Mo'bigga bud.
bye now!

A perfect environment is they key to large buds. This involves sufficient primary lighting, temps range and day/night temp shift, water quality, nutes, planting medium, air exchange, air content, genetic capability and other misc. factors all play into that part of producing immense flowers.

My research is primarily concerned with producing the most potent medicine and less concerned with quantity. Perfect your environment and you shouldn't have anything to worry about yield wise.

Edited by MCOne, 07 January 2011 - 05:25 PM.

• jangel, Bueller, kendog000 and 3 others like this

#6 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

Thank you to MEDGROW for pointing out the video THC, UVB and Me, though I cannot find it anywhere...

___

Here is one of the articles I found valuable in my research, a look at THC.

An elaboration on the phytochemical process that makes marijuana THC

The resin exuded by the glandular trichome forms a sphere that encases the head cells.

When the resin spheres are separated from the dried plant material by electrostatic attraction and placed on a microscope slide illuminated with a 100W incandescent bulb, they appear very dark when observed through a 300X microscope. Since orange, red, and infrared are the component wavelengths of incandescent light, and since the absorption of light makes an object dark or opaque to the frequency of the incoming wave, one can conclude that these wavelengths are probably not directly involved in energizing the cannabinoid pathway.

However, the resin sphere is transparent to ultraviolet radiation.

The author found through trial and error that only one glandular
trichome exhibits the phytochemical process that will produce the amount of THC associated with pain relief, appetite stimulation and anti-nausea; euphoria and hallucinations are side-effects, however. This trichome is triggered into growth by either of the two ways that the floral bract is turned into fruit.

Of all the ways that optics are involved in the phytochemical production of THC, the most interesting has to be how the head cells and cannabinoid molecules are tremendously magnified by the resin sphere. These and other facts are curiously absent from the literature. The footnotes update the literature to include electrostatic separation of the resin sphere from the dried plant material and marijuana parthenocarpy.

(1) "For all spheres, a ray drawn perpendicular to the sphere's surface will intersect the center of the sphere, no matter what spot on the surface is picked, and the magnifying power(a) of a glass sphere is greater the smaller its size. A sphere of glass can also bring light that is heading to a focus behind it to a point within it, with freedom from two aberrations, spherial aberration and coma, but not from chromatic aberration. Chromatic aberration results when different wavelengths are focused on different planes and is the most difficult of the aberrations to correct. The human eye lens also exhibits chromatic aberration, but a yellow pigment(B) called the macula lutea in the fovea, an area at the rear of the eyeball, corrects this problem by the way it absorbs blue light."

(a)"The formula to calculate the magnifying power of a sphere is l=333/d, where l is the magnifying power and d is the diameter of the sphere expressed in mm."

(b)Interestingly, the resin exuded by drug-type flowering female marijuana plants has a yellow tint. Could this pigment work to correct chromatic aberration in the resin sphere like the macula lutea does in the fovea for the eyeball?

(2) Quoting from the Mahlberg and Kim study of hemp(a) "THC accumulated in abundance in the secretory cavity where it was associated with the following: cell walls, surface feature of secretory vesicles, fibrillar material released from disc cell wall, and cuticle. It was not associated with the content of the secretory vesicles."

The resin spheres contain the THC. It is not contained in the leaf or floral bract. After the resin spheres are dissolved in solvent or dislodged by electrostatic attraction, and a microscopic examination of the leaf or floral bract has revealed that only the glandular trichomes' stalks remain, no effect will be felt after smoking the dried plant material from which the resin spheres have been removed.

(3) The electrostatic collection of the resin spheres from dried marijuana plants with plenty of ripe seeds has been for hundreds of years the method indigenous people of North Africa and Lebanon have used to make hashish. Obtain a round metal can 8" or so in diameter x 3" or so in depth (the kind that cookies come in) with a smooth lid. Obtain 2 ounces of dried marijuana with plenty of ripe seeds in the tops. To remove the seeds and stems, sift the marijuana tops through a 10-hole-to-the-inch wire kitchen strainer into the can. Close the can with the lid and vigorously shake the closed can three or four times. This gives the resin spheres an excess negative charge. Let the can sit for a moment and then remove the lid. Opposites attract. The negative-charged resin spheres have been attracted to the metal surface of the can and lid which has a positive charge. Take a matchbook cover or credit card and draw the edge across the surface of the lid. Note the collected powder. Observed under 300X magnification, the collected powder from this "shake" is composed of resin spheres with an occasional non-glandular trichome. As the marijuana is shaken again and again, and more of the yellow resin spheres are removed from the plant material, the collected powder gradually becomes green-colored as the number of non-glandular trichomes increases in the collected powder. The greener the powder, the less the effect.

(4) "Cannabinoids represent a dimer consisting of a terpene and a phenol component. Cannabigerol (CBG) is the first component of the pathway. It undergoes chemical change to form either cannabichromene (CBC), or cannabidiol (CBD). Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is derived from CBD."

(5) "Pate (1983) indicated that in areas of high ultraviolet radiation exposure, the UVB (280-320 nm) absorption properties of THC may have conferred an evolutionary advantage to Cannabis capable of greater production of this compound from biogenetic precursor CBD. The extent to which this production is also influenced by environmental UVB has also been experimentally determined by Lydon et al. (1987)."

The writer's own experience allow for a more specific conclusion: If the UVB photon is missing from the light stream(a), or the intensity as expressed in µW/cm2 falls below a certain level(B), the phytochemical process will not be completely energized with only UVA photons which are more penetrating but less energetic, and the harvested resin spheres will have mostly precursor compounds and not fully realized THC©.

(a)Examples of an environment where the UVB photon would be missing from the light stream include all indoor cultivation illuminated by HID bulbs and in glass or corrugated fiberglass covered greenhouses.

(B)"The maximum UVB irradiance near the equator (solar elevation angle less than 25 deg.) under clear, sunny skies is about 250 µW/cm2. It was observed that the daily solar UVB in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (N24.4Lat.) decreased from September to December by about 40% (Hannan et al. 1984). The further a person is from the tropics, the less UVB radiation there is: the average annual exposure of a person living in Hawaii is approximately four times that of someone living in northern Europe." Below are some UVB readings taken in Hoyleton, Illinois, on a clear sunny day in June by David Krughoff as reported in Reptile Lighting 2000.

7am: 12 microwatts/cm2
8am: 74 microwatts/cm2
9am: 142 microwatts/cm2
10am: 192 microwatts/cm2
11am: 233 microwatts/cm2
12pm: 256 microwatts/cm2
1pm: 269 microwatts/cm2
2pm: 262 microwatts/cm2
3pm: 239 microwatts/cm2
4pm: 187 microwatts/cm2
5pm: 131 microwatts/cm2
6pm: 61 microwatts/cm2

©Cannabinoid pathway: Anywhere in this pathway UVB does a better job than UVA in energizing a phytochemical reaction that will produce more fully realized THC because "all cannabinolic compounds show an absorption maximum between 270 and 280 nm in the ultraviolet region."

(6) Capitate-stalked glandular trichome.

(7) #1: The ovum has been fertilized and there is a seed developing: In the areas of the Northern Hemisphere where indigenous people have grown heterozygous drug-type marijuana for hundreds of years, pollination is used to trigger the growth of the capitate-stalked glandular trichome on the floral bract and concomitant leaves of the flowering females before the autumnal equinox(a) so the majority of seeds will be ripe(B) before November.

(7) #2: The floral bract has become parthenocarpic: Parthenocarpic fruits develop without fertilization and have no seeds. Except for transmutation and turning lead into gold, there has been more nonsense written about seedless marijuana than on any other subject. In marijuana parthenocarpy, the floral bract (the fruit) enlarges in size as though there were a seed growing inside, and the capitate-stalked glandular trichome is triggered into growth on the floral bract and concomitant leaves. "Most popular supermarket tomatoes are parthenocarpic which was induced artificially by the application of dilute hormone sprays (such as auxins) to the flowers." In a trial, marijuana parthenocarpy was not induced by the application of the spray used on tomatoes. Only the photoperiod© will trigger parthenocarpy in flowering female marijuana plants. Marijuana parthenocarpy occurring before the autumnal equinox is considered by the author to be "long-day" and marijuana parthenocarpy occurring after the autumnal equinox to be "short-day".

The longest photoperiod that will trigger parthenocarpy in unfertilized flowering homozygous(d) Indica female marijuana plants is 13:00 hours, give or take 15 minutes. This effect can be obtained in the month of August at N35Lat, and because the capitate-stalked glandular trichomes received plenty of UVB during this month at this latitude, the harvested resin spheres had fully realized THC. Rating: euphoria and hallucinations, major appetite boost and pain relief, deep dreamless sleep. These plants seldom grow taller than four feet but potency makes up for the reduced harvest.

The gene pool is heterozygous if a flowering female marijuana plant is not parthenocarpic by the end of the first week in September in the Northern Hemisphere. If this is the case, pollination is used instead of parthenocarpy to trigger the growth of the capitate-stalked glandular trichome before the autumnal equinox to obtain as much fully realized THC as possible in the harvested resin spheres by the time the majority of the seeds are ripe.

The longest photoperiod that will trigger parthenocarpy in unfertilized flowering heterozygous female marijuana plants is 11:00 hours, give or take 15 minutes: This effect can be obtained in the month of November at N35Lat. Because of the low intensity of UVB radiation at this latitude at sea level during November, the harvested resin spheres evidenced only slightly more THC than precursor compounds. Rating: mild to medium euphoria, appetite boost and pain relief, good snooze.

Thai marijuana falls into this 11:00 hour category, and its parthenocarpy is characterized by an inflorescence in which many floral bracts are attached to an elongated meristem. It is these elongated meristems that are harvested to become a THAI STICK. On the other side of the world, Mexican marijuana grown around the same latitudes (Michoacan, Guerrero, Oaxaca) also falls into this short-day parthenocarpic category and the unfertilized marijuana will become "sensimilla" in the 11:00 hour photoperiod which begins in mid-December in that region. The winter sunshine in those latitudes has enough UVB intensity to produce fully realized THC--unlike the winter sunshine at N35Lat.

All unfertilized flowering female marijuana plants will become parthenocarpic in a 9:00 hour photoperiod (15:00 hour dark period): This can be obtained in the month of December at N35Lat. At this latitude in this month there is not even enough UVB in sunlight for precursor vitamin D3 to develop in human skin. The phytochemical process will not produce fully realized THC when UVB falls below a certain level of intensity expressed in µW/cm2. Rating: no effect.

(a)In the Northern Hemisphere above the Tropic of Cancer, the key to all marijuana potency is this: The more days of sunlight the capitate-stalked glandular trichomes' resin spheres accumulate before the autumnal equinox the more fully realized THC.

(b)It is recognized in the indigenous world that drug-type marijuana with a majority of ripe seeds will produce more euphoria, hallucinations, appetite stimulation, pain relief, and sleep aid than with a majority of unripe seeds.

©The photoperiodic response is controlled by phytochrome. "Phytochrome is a blue pigment in the leaves and seeds of plants and is found in 2 forms. One form is a blue form(Pfr), which absorbs red light, and the other is a blue-green form(Pr) that absorbs far-red light. Solar energy has 10X more red (660nm) than far-red (730nm) light causing the accumulation of Pfr." The first and last hour of a day's sunlight is mostly red light because of the scattering effect on blue light. "So at the onset of the dark period much of the phytochrome is in the Pfr form. However, Pfr is unstable and returns to phytochrome Pr in the dark." The red light in sunrise returns the Pr to the Pfr form. "Phytochrome Pfr is the active form and controls flowering and germination. It inhibits flowering of short-day plants (the long night period is required for the conversion of Pfr to Pr) and promotes flowering of long day plants."

(d)In Nepal and nearby areas of India where the capitate-stalked glandular trichome is triggered into growth by parthenocarpy rather than by fertilized ovum, great care is taken to make sure that all male marijuana plants are destroyed as soon as they reveal their sex. This is because unfertilized Indica flowering females can have both stigma and anther protruding from the floral bract. In the Indica gene pool, female-produced pollen carries an allele for long-day parthenocarpy, and seeds resulting from this female-produced pollen will produce another generation of female plants that will also exhibit long-day parthenocarpy during flowering. But if pollen from male plants is introduced into this gene pool, the resulting seeds will produce a generation of females that will exhibit short-day parthenocarpy instead. The allele for long-day parthenocarpy in the female-produced pollen is carried into the gene pool by self-pollination and cross-pollination, and perhaps homozygous is used too loosely here to describe the genetic result.

(8) It appears that the resin sphere acts as an UVB receptor and magnifying lens. The latter apparently lets it gather in a lot more photons than would otherwise be possible; because a lens also acts as a prism, the resin sphere may prevent some wavelengths from being focused where the phytochemical processes are taking place because they could interfere with the phytochemical process that makes THC.

Edited by MCOne, 17 December 2010 - 08:07 PM.

• 1tru1, Bueller, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#7 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

IMPLEMENTATION AND LIGHT CYCLE FOR UVB

And here is a response from SwampFarmer2012 on another forum I found, and while I cannot endorse home wiring jobs, the method and light cycle timing seems VERY LOGICAL at this point.

Use 26w CFL reptile bulbs, 10.0 UVB. The compact florecent lightbulb style, then using $1 store 9ft extention cords, cut off female end and wire a rubberized all weather mogule comes with two wires only so $1 store two prong 9ft cord works best. get as many as bulbs your using, plus a couple cords and use them to wire 3 reptile bulb cords into the female end which has three spots to plug into, I have 4 bulbs taped hanging vertically close to ceiling in each 4 quarters of the room, Its a 3 level 4 side stadium, with 2 ft entrance space with no shelf., reaches optimun 2 ft it says for reptiles, some plants tops are within 6 inches from reptile bulb, no ill effect on close plants, also 1 bulb in lamp in center of room on floor pouring up and into lower plants and undersides of first 2 levels plants. I have not seen so much crystal and almost oozing with resinousness. so its good man. they love it. I have 2 1000w HPS and one 600w MH a foot lower centered between two bulbs above. not this has created like one giant full spectrum sun, more blue lower and center, and more orange light top side of things, overall everything recieves MH and it shows, and the UVB has increased my full spectrum greatly. Ohhh my timer is a aquarium timer, looks like a computer power bar. $40 cost. It can have 7 time cycles per day, so anythinjg with 6-8 time cycles will work. when i first use it's as sson as they switch rooms as only have the uvb in flower room, so the get uvb at 1-2 minute intervals for first week as they root into new 3 gallon pots. then increase a couple mins each week till you have maxed at 12-20mins each time. My cycle is as; lights come on at 6pm, 3hrs pass, 9pm uvb 12mins. 10pm uvb 15mins., 11pm uvb 17 mins 12 NOON highest point of uvb 20 mins, 1 am 17mins uvb, 2am uvb 15mins, 3am uvb 12.. so that is around 2-2& quarter hrs of uvb intyervalled at max time, I don't get to full amount until 5th weekish. slowly increase times, not 5 minute jumps, might hurt them, the bulbs put out mor usable uvb than the sun does at peak NOON time at closest point to the sun on the equator where the shit grows wild and rampant. which is why intervalls, in the middle six hrs of the day, not begining or end three hours. some smart dudes researched this for 3 yrs in 6 different controlled grows and came to this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers happy gowing, and try and teach some fools to use this method, cost me $200 to add to my setup, my 3 week premature sample after i dried it proper, was easily as potent as my finished product last run without uvb, everything else was same setup. and that was some good shit last time, jamacian graspe, and romulanXfucking incredible, same as this time too, and 3 weeks early is almosty dripping with resins

Edited by MCOne, 17 December 2010 - 09:49 AM.

• 1tru1, Bueller, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#8 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

TESTING SUPPLEMENTAL UVB DURING FINAL FLOWER:

Luckily I have some plants 38 days into flower with resin present, so I can begin testing tonight by placing 1 light in 1 corner primarily lighting 1 plant.

From what I have read I will be placing roughly 5% of my output in UVB placed in 1 corner of the grow. These reptile lights are recommended being no closer than 14" to the animal, But as Envind said the T5's and in my case T8's run fairly cool and in the short intervals can be placed even closer at your own risk.

UVB Light will be started at 1 minute intervals tonight and increased by 1 minute each day.

Edited by MCOne, 16 December 2010 - 03:45 AM.

• jangel, Bueller, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#9 holyflower

holyflower

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Awesome! I'll be watching this for sure. MG~

#10 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:23 AM

Attached File  uvbWeb.jpg   196.04KB   45 downloads Day 1 schedule: 7am - hps only 8am - hps only 9am - hps only 10am - 1 minute UVB 11am - 2 minutes UVB 12pm - 3 minutes UVB 1pm - 4 minutes UVB 2pm - 3 minutes UVB 3pm - 2 minutes UVB 4pm - 1 minutes UVB 5pm - hps only 6pm - hps only 7pm - hps only I will be increasing these by 1 minute each day until I get to the 12,15,17,20,17,15,12 minute intervals. The plant under the light is vanillia kush and another 'control' VK plant is in the corner furthest from the 15 & 26w UVB level 10 reptile lights. We will see what happens now. It is hard to tell but it looks like a tanning bed inside :bong:

Edited by MCOne, 16 December 2010 - 04:04 AM.

• jangel, 1tru1, Bueller and 2 others like this

#11 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

From an article on 660nm red l.e.d.s, Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-15 at 11.22.52 PM.png   750.33KB   71 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-16 at 12.01.57 AM.png   852.08KB   61 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-16 at 12.07.20 AM.png   328.67KB   47 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-16 at 12.08.02 AM.png   547.84KB   48 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-16 at 12.09.09 AM.png   711.88KB   107 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-15 at 11.21.18 PM.png   728.13KB   149 downloads Attached File  Screen shot 2010-12-15 at 11.20.36 PM.png   677.24KB   128 downloads So, if the lizard light UVB experiment works, I will be upgrading with some 660nm LEDs

Edited by MCOne, 16 December 2010 - 03:18 AM.

• jangel, 1tru1, Bueller and 3 others like this

#12 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:38 AM

an outdoor grower i know claims no better then indoor with forced outdoor. perhaps just too much work, so an easy justification. i cannot believe mom would not produce much better then me and my lights. i too will be watching with interest. very nice thread, mcone. nice info, envind.
  • jangel, Bueller, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#13 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

VK - UVB Day 1 - Day 38 HPS Flower Attached File  VK_uvb_day38.jpg   271.54KB   66 downloads :bong:

#14 envind

envind

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

ok, biggest problem i have had is finding the UVB LED's at a price that can be afforded. a 7W led for psoriasis is 200 bucks from overseas. I have also been looking for "far red" LED's, in the 730 range, and without buying a truckload of them, you can't order from china. Would love to know where you get yours. Also, make sure to turn your plants around as you do the UVB exposure, so it hits all sides, to do its job to all your buds.

#15 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

The LED info is from an article, not my own photos, I do not own any LEDs.
If this experiment works, then I will be in the market for some and will post what I find...
But it is my understanding that maximum absorption happens at 660nm red and anything above 680nm INHIBITS flowering slightly thus standardizing thc output.

It is suggested to obtain a bank of 1w diodes that are a mix of blue and red and at least 40% 660nm red.
It is further stated that 3 and 5w diodes run hotter and have the ability to easily stress a plant.

I prefer to rotate and rearrange all of my plants, even those under direct HID but will be rotating the VK every day when I increase the minutes on the timer / switch.

ok, biggest problem i have had is finding the UVB LED's at a price that can be afforded. a 7W led for psoriasis is 200 bucks from overseas.
I have also been looking for "far red" LED's, in the 730 range, and without buying a truckload of them, you can't order from china.
Would love to know where you get yours.

Also, make sure to turn your plants around as you do the UVB exposure, so it hits all sides, to do its job to all your buds.

Edited by MCOne, 17 December 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#16 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Day 2 and I already think I see a difference in resin density/head size though not at a quick glance between the control and UVB plant. Day 2 has a bit of a jump in timing, to further my experiment and check for damage, then it goes back to small shifts until reaching 2.1 hours of UVB.

Experimental UVB Light schedule will be as follows:
(minutes of UVB supplementation per hour of peak 'daylight' HID cycle)

D1: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2
D2: 2, 4, 7, 10, 5, 2
D3: 4, 7, 10, 13, 7, 4
D4: 6, 10, 13, 16, 9, 6
D5: 8, 13, 16, 19, 11, 8
D6: 10, 16, 19, 22, 14, 11
D7: 12, 19, 22, 25, 17, 14
D8: 14, 22, 25, 28, 20, 17

The sum of D8 (Day 8) is 126 minutes / 2.1 hours which I feel should suffice and reflects values I found suggested through others experiments and logs of natural light.

The plants have 14-21 more days, so 6-13 of those days will be run at maximum UVB exposure (D8) to the UVB Plant. Ultimately the plants will either have had two weeks of supplemented UVB during an 8 week flowering time (one fourth / 25%) or three weeks of UVB exposure during a 9 week flowering time which equates to one third or 33.3%.

By exceeding the suggested time of 20 minutes during the longest cycle I am;
--- testing to see if this length will damage plants
--- assuring there is enough uvb available for the experiment to be representative of UVB's effects on resin development in final flower

Edited by MCOne, 17 December 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#17 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

:woohoo:...hehehehe sweet  muA

#18 Transcendence

Transcendence

South of Heaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationUnder the Sun, High watchng the Waves

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

Subbed, Very interesting! :)kiltsmiliegif

#19 rtnrdny1

rtnrdny1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

the ceramic metal halides are supposed to be very high in uvb and emit full sun spectrum. there is a very strong endorsement of them over at opengrow by clepter with some great pics.i'm an outdoor sativa enthusiast and after looking at a lot of sativa posts on different forums i've repeatedly read posts by experienced sativa growers talking about the importance of uv for landrace and ibl sativa grows. i believe this was sort of a well kept secret until recently.
  • jangel, 1tru1, Bueller and 4 others like this

#20 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Interesting, thank you!
It appears these only run on traditional coil HPS ballasts and that digital ballasts will destroy the bulb though ?? I will need to do some more reading..

the ceramic metal halides are supposed to be very high in uvb and emit full sun spectrum. there is a very strong endorsement of them over at opengrow by clepter with some great pics.i'm an outdoor sativa enthusiast and after looking at a lot of sativa posts on different forums i've repeatedly read posts by experienced sativa growers talking about the importance of uv for landrace and ibl sativa grows. i believe this was sort of a well kept secret until recently.

Edited by MCOne, 20 December 2010 - 02:24 PM.

• jangel, Bueller and Itinkso like this

#21 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

After 4 nights the UVB supplemented plant appears to already have 'resinous leaf curl' while the control plant does not.

Edited by MCOne, 20 December 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#22 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Cool research, MC. If UVB is coming from the sun, then it only makes sense that we can improve our environmental control by finding the right combination of light, which includes UV rays.. Thanks for taking the time to study and experiment with this.

#23 Bueller

Bueller

Good Bye

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25979 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Aha MCC! Two good reasons to follow your research... Vk and UVB ima so all over this!!!! Pete
  • jangel and Itinkso like this

#24 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:02 AM

Day 43 Vanilla Kush uvb plant Attached File  vk_day43_uvb.jpg   340.42KB   103 downloads And the structure of BF Vanillia Kush for the muffin man Attached File  uk_nonUvb_day43.jpg   345.96KB   92 downloads

Edited by MCOne, 21 December 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#25 MCOne

MCOne

Only Organics

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationGouranga

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:20 AM

Attached File  uvb_vs_non_day43.jpg   401.31KB   107 downloads UVB Plant after 5 days of very little UVB - Looks like its putting on some 'sun block' to me! Attached File  vk_day43_uvb2.jpg   376.22KB   99 downloads Todays schedule is as follows, up three minutes from a 19minute max exposure yesterday: Day 6: 10am 10min, 11am 16min, 12pm 19min, 1pm 22min, 2pm 14min, 3pm 11min

Edited by MCOne, 21 December 2010 - 03:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users